6

The Girl Who Doesn't Want to Be 17

Jonghyun thanked the store clerk and walked out with a white teddy bear in his hands. The teddy was wearing a small grey pearl necklace, and also a hairclip on its ears. Jonghyun carefully put the teddy inside a gift box, ready as a gift for Miina.

He looked at his wristwatch. 40 minutes left until the dinner. He entered his car and started driving slowly while attaching his Bluetooth handsfree to his ear.

“Yoboseyo, Miina?”

“If you’re calling to remind me to go to the salon, I’ve already done dressing up,” said Miina, half shouting since she seemed to be walking by the street.

Jonghyun smiled. “Good girl. Want me to pick you up? Where are you now?”

“Oh I was planning to go straight to the cuisine by myself. I can take the bus,” said Miina.

Jonghyun turned his car to the lane where probably Miina is. “Are you sure? You’re wearing heels, right.. Let me just pick you up.”

Miina shook her head. “It’s okay, I don’t want to be a burden to you. I’m turning seventeen tomorrow, remember? I gotta act mature at least just this time.”

“I thought you still didn’t want to turn seventeen,” teased Jonghyun, while concentrating on the road.

Miina laughed softly. She looked right and left, carefully about to cross the road. Just when she was about to reach the opposite side, a car with full speed came by. Miina wasn’t able to avoid the car, neither could the car. The driver stepped on the breaks, hoping it would stop or at least reduce the speed. But it was too late.

Seconds later Miina was already lying on the ground. Her handphone was still in her hand.  Blood rushed out of her head. People gathered around watching the accident.

“Miina?”

Jonghyun adjusted his earphone. He immediately felt worried. He kept calling Miina’s name, but there was no answer. He kept driving until he reached a street near a bus stop. The bus stop was crowded, Jonghyun pulled over and went out of his car.

“Excuse me.. Sorry…” said Jonghyun as he tried to get through the crowd, to see what’s happening.

As he managed to get through, he saw Miina, right there, lying unconsciously. He looked around and saw somebody already calling the ambulance. He suddenly felt dizzy, he ran straight to Miina, lifted her and tried to speak to her.

“Miina.. Ya, Park Miina, ireona!”

Jonghyun gently touched Miina’s face, trying to wake her up. Miina slowly opened her eyes. She felt Jonghyun’s hand on her cheek.

“Miina! Miina, stay with me.. Stay with me, you’ll be okay..” whispered Jonghyun in Miina’s ear.

Miina was too weak to answer. She held Jonghyun’s hand. Jonghyun felt cold, Miina’s hand was already cold. Her face was getting even paler. She opened and tried to mouth a few words.

Jonghyun felt really stabbed seeing Miina struggling hard just to even speak. Slowly, Miina’s grip loosened. She blew her last breath, as her eyes closed slowly. Tears were like rushing to fall from Jonghyun’s eyes. He pulled Miina and hugged her tightly.

“Nado saranghae, Miina.. Miina you can’t leave me like this.. It’s your birthday tomorrow.. Miina, wake up..” whispered Jonghyun once again, in a shaky voice.

He saw his shirt turning red. Miina lost too much blood. Jonghyun didn’t care about the crowd and let his tears fall down his dimples. Jonghyun tightened his last embrace, still whispering Miina’s name, and repeating those three words that got them together.