4

The Girl Who Doesn't Want to Be 17

“I don’t understand why people always throw a party to celebrate their birthdays,” Miina looked at the mirror and blew her bangs. Hyerin pouted and tried to do Miina’s hair all over again.

“Why don’t you like birthday parties?” asked Hyerin.

“They are such a waste. Waste of time, money, energy, waste of everything.  Better you use those pocket money to buy a gadget or something. Oh how I want an iPad…”

Hyerin lifted her shoulders a bit and continued getting Miina done. It was Jay’s birthday. They had to be at the café half an hour earlier. Jay said it wouldn’t be a huge party, just a few people coming, which made Miina agreed to come.

“You look gorgeous. Come on let’s go, we’re gonna be late,” said Hyerin, grabbing the car keys and walked out.

Miina took a glance at the mirror. “I have always been gorgeous,” she joked to herself.

~~~~~

The party went splendid. Jay was shocked how the time flew so fast, Miina was even more shocked how she felt the time was so slow. Guests were heading home, Miina walked a guest to the door and was about to close the door when a hand held it open.

“The party isn’t over, is it?”

Miina looked at the tall figure in front of her. “Jonghyun?”

He smiled. His dimples showed and Miina felt some butterflies in her tummy.

“Jay, your friend is here!” shouted Miina.

“Ah! Wait…”

Miina walked back inside and Jay was walking towards the door. “Oh hey Jonghyun, I thought you said you couldn’t come?”

“Well…” Jonghyun seemed a bit gawky. He handed over a small box. “Your present!”

Jay received it. “Thanks.”

Jonghyun looked inside. Jay smelled something fishy.

“Don’t tell me you’re looking for my cousin?” asked Jay, replied with Jonghyun scratching his head awkwardly.

“You’ve been checking her out???” asked Jay, this time he sounded half shocked.

Jonghyun shrugged.

“Well. Okay…”