chapter 5

December Love

The hospital's staff cafeteria was slowly filled with staff as lunch was approaching. Joonmyun took up the seat in one of the corner where it was far from the exit but it had an excellent view of the garden outside. Although the whole building was air-conditioned, it felt unusually warmer at that moment. He ped his thermal bag his lunch box was. It wasn't anything extraordinary. Just brown rice, kimchi and breaded fish which he managed to cook early in the morning. He packed his son's similar to his but with that extra baby tomatoes which he loved.

"Hey, there you are. Dr. Kim." The slightly husky voice jolted him from his peaceful lunch. "Who's the new guy?"

"Kris." Joonmyun gave him a warning gaze before the other man could voice out his opinion. "He's my new neighbour."

"Oh, really? I'm greatly disappointed."

Joonmyun looked up at his friend. "Why?"

"Well, you know, he's young, handsome and your kid seemed to have taken a liking to him. I thought you might too."

"I do like him. He's nice to Kyungsoo."

Kris laughed. "Why don't you..." He smiled slyly while sipping his cup of coffee.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Joonmyun rolled his eyes.

Kris then apologised if he felt uncomfortable, which Joonmyun accepted because he couldn't be mad at his best friend for too long. Their lunch together went smoothly without Kris bringing up about the dating topic again. He appreciated his friend's concern but it just wasn't the right time yet. There would definitely be a time for that, but right now, Kyungsoo needed his full support and attention. Joonmyun wasn't to deprive him of that.

They strode down out of the cafeteria, nodding to some of the staff nurses that they knew. Joonmyun tucked his hands into his pockets, smiling at some of the familiar faces of the hospital.

"Joonmyun, you sure it's safe to trust Jongin with your kid?"

"Why?" Joonmyun asked as he walked side by side with the surgeon who effectively dwarfed him without meaning to.

The other man who was usually dressed in faint animal printed long-sleeved shirt and dark brown dress pants looked stunningly handsome like a model, even when now in just navy blue scrubs, which Joonmyun had always secretly admired. But he thought Jongin had that X factor to go along with his model-like build. Wait. Why was he thinking about Jongin?

"I lost you, Joonmyun." Kris tapped his shoulder. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing. Just stuff." Joonmyun shrugged. He ignored the way one of Kris' eyebrow shot up as though he didn't believe a word he said. The cons of having a best friend. They know when you're lying. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"Anyway, as I was saying, Jongin's a new guy whom you hardly know and you let your kid get too attached to him. I think you should get to know him better too before Kyungsoo clings too much to him."

"You've got a point." 

"I always have a point." Kris laughed. Then his mobile rang. "Sorry, I have to take this call. See you later!"

"Ok!" Joonmyun chuckled when he heard Kris apologising to the person on the other line which he assumed could only be the boyfriend given how much his coddling words were. Kris could be brought to his knees only by that handsome boyfriend of his. His cheeks warmed at the sudden realisation of the double meaning.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

Shopping wasn't one of his favourite past times but ever since he met Yixing, he grew to like it enough to accompany him to go to one of his shopping sprees. They had headed downtown as soon as their last class finished. Yixing who happened to be in the same music lecture as him had dragged him out the moment their lecturer ended his speech.

Jongin slid his cap back as they took the escalator to the second storey.

"Where are we heading?" Jongin asked as they strolled past a few boutiques selling men's apparel. "Haven't you bought enough shirt to fill the whole stadium?"

"I know." His best friend laughed. "It's for you this time."

"Wha- Toys "R" Us, really?"

"Well, for your kid neighbour. Like a welcome gift. You should buy something for his dad too."

Give it to Yixing to do something unexpected. They stepped into the toy store with bright smiles as deep down, their inner kid came bubbling out. Jongin went through the range of new toys on display thinking that buying Kyungsoo a Lego blocks set would only served to mess his living room. Boys and girls alike giggled and ran around the store with their fake swords, gun and fairy wands. Yixing took random boxed toys like plastic planets, seeing that Jongin was spoilt for choice.

"What would a six year old boy like?" Jongin stopped abruptly in the middle of the aisle with the Lego section on his left while the board games were to his right. "Nothing messy. And I want it to be something that can be done with his dad."

"Pictionary?"

"Dude, he's only six!" Jongin threw a toy snake at his friend. "Be realistic!"

"Water gun!" 

"No." Jongin shook his head. "Something else- ah! I think I found the perfect gift!"

"What is it?" Yixing followed Jongin's lead which was to a beautiful display of a Lego toy train. "But you said it'll be a mess."

Jongin plastered his face against the plastic display, openly admiring the moving train that crossed the short bridge. "I've always wanted this as a kid. But my parents didn't have that much money to buy me one."

"You know, I think this is excellent! You can use this to spend time with the kid and his dad." Yixing winked.

"I didn't hear that!" Jongin pointed an accusing finger at his friend while grinning. "Now, that we've found this. What do I buy for his dad?"

"How about 'A Guide to Loving Men for Men'?"

Without thinking, Jongin smacked the back of his head. "Please don't joke around."

"I'm serious!" Yixing pouted. "He might have already fallen for you for all we know."

"Nonsense."

A couple of minutes later, they checked out at the cashier with the box wrapped in a rainbow coloured wrapper with cartoon animals all over. It didn't take long for them to find a gift for Joonmyun. Standing outside a jewellery store, Jongin stared a black beaded bracelet which had an almost matte finish.

"I think this will look good on Joonmyun's pale wrist. A beautiful contrast." Jongin murmured to himself before stepping into the store and purchased the Adesso beaded bracelets.

"Ok, let's get some dinner. I'm hungry." Yixing rubbed his tummy. "My boyfriend's on night shift today, so I'm free."

"Poor guy, sleeping alone tonight." Jongin . 

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

"Kyungsoo, don't play with your food!" Joonmyun tapped on his son's hand twice as a warning. "Eat your beans. Kidney beans are good for you."

"Appa, but it's red! Like blood!"

"No, no, Kyungsoo, it's not blood." 

"Don't want!"

Joonmyun forked the bean and hovered it over Kyungsoo's lips. "Here, come on. If you don't eat, you can't play with Baekhyun  and Chanyeol on Sunday."

"Appa!" The boy whined, though he chewed the beans with a scrunched face. 

The doorbell rang suddenly. Who could it be at this hour? Immediately after his grocery shopping, he had rushed home to cook lunch for his son. He wasn't expecting anyone. Even if Kris were to come by, he would have notified first.

"I'm coming!" Joonmyun patted his son's head. "Be a good boy. I'll be right back."

Joonmyun pressed the intercom. He was greeted with Jongin's handsome features filling up the LCD screen. The younger man smiled the moment he unlocked the door.

"Hey, don't you have school today?"

"Nah, I don't have any lectures today." Jongin smiled shyly as him. He adjusted the cap over his head before handing a paper bag. "This is for Kyungsoo as a welcome gift."

Taking the brown paper bag from Jongin, he peeked in to see a gift wrapped rectangular box. "Oh, you shouldn't have."

"It's nothing really. I just thought he'd like it." 

"I'm sure he'll love it. Whatever it is."

"Oh, and this is for you." 

He took the much smaller rectangular box which could probably fit a credit card. "Thank you." 

"I hope you like it." The other man smiled widely. "Tell Kyungsoo I said hi."

"Why don't you come in?" Joonmyun opened the door wider.

Jongin waved his hands. "No, it's ok. I'm working today."

"Oh, you're going there in that? Where do you work, anyway?" Joonmyun was burning with curiosity. Which work place allowed one to be dressed down, like this guy here. Skinny jeans, sneakers, sleeveless top and a cap made Jongin looked so much like his own peers. Wow, the man looked younger when dressed down.

"Not important." Jongin shrugged. "I'll drop by when I'm free again. Bye!"

Looking at Jongin's back disappearing behind the lift doors wasn't part of his plan but he kind of grew fascinated, or admiration for someone with the perfect proportion. He'd never met anyone like that. Not before Jongin.

 

 

A/N: I know that it's a late update ^^; I'm gonna finish this ASAP.. been a busy week... fighting~