chapter 3

December Love

As his classmates began to munch into their lunch, Kyungsoo walked over to where his best friend, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were seated. He placed his bright yellow lunch box on the table, grinning when he caught his best friends' attention.

"What's inside?" Baekhyun asked as he peeked over Kyungsoo's thin shoulder. "Oh, is it a sandwich?"

Kyungsoo nodded his head. Pulling the plastic lid revealed the mixture of fruits and a plastic wrapped peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Oh, it looks delicious!" Chanyeol grinned. "What is that black thing?"

"It's not black!" Kyungsoo protested. "It's purple! Grapes!"

Baekhyun laughed. "I brought some strawberries. Do you want one, Kyungsoo?"

"Yes! Thank y-" Someone slid between him and Baekhyun. "Hey!" Kyungsoo glared at the non-smiling raven-haired boy.

Chanyeol shook his head disapprovingly. "Tao! Why do you have to sit there?"

"I want to be near Baekhyun." He said as a matter-of-fact.

The tall lanky boy protested. "Hey! Baekhyun's mine! I'm going to marry him. So, go find someone else. O-Or just take Kyungsoo."

"I'm going to wushu my way to Baekhyun's heart. You, Park Chanyeol, won't stand a chance."

Chanyeol gaped in shock. When he recovered, he slid in between Tao and Baekhyun, effectively separating his love. "Now, let's have lunch!"

Tao grumbled at the separation. He squeezed his panda plush toy between his armpits, punching its head in frustration.

"Just give it up." Kyungsoo commented while he chewed in his sandwich. "Chanyeol loves Baekhyun."

"I know. That's why I can't give up." Tao looked over Chanyeol's shoulder to wink at a dazed Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo sighed. "I thought only adults have weird friends."

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

"Where are you heading?" Yixing asked while he watched Jongin packed his backpack.

Their lecture had ended not too long ago. Students were busy packing their stuff to head to either club activities or after school extra classes. Jongin didn't have either. Ever since his freshman year, none of the clubs interested him. They were boring and took up too much of his time. To him, he'd rather use his time in college to pursue his dreams while clinching a degree to fall back on for whenever he needed it. Fortunately, he had a part time job that he loved. The only thing great about school was that he could learn new things, and of course, his best friend, Yixing.

"Home."

"I thought you're working today?" 

"Nah, it was rescheduled." Jongin shrugged. He zipped up and heaved it over his shoulders, adjusting the slightly loose strap. "I'll see you around tomorrow. I've got that project to finish."

"You mean the one that you had to come up with a song lyric?"

"Yeah, that one. You're done?"

"Of course, it was easy. I was inspired by my y boyfriend."

"Right." Jongin rolled his eyes.

They walked together, side by side, dodging the few girls who tried to chat up. Jongin just ignored them despite Yixing's diplomatic smile. His best friend was gay to the core though he carried himself just like any other regular straight guy. Even when news broke out that he was gay, no one really bat an eyelash. Straight girls made it a mission to turn him "back to the righteous path". Right. Like that would happen when Yixing's got his fingers wrapped around a certain Chinese Canadian surgeon. 

"I'll probably head out to the library. You're free tomorrow?"

Jongin pulled his Beats' limited edition Red Sox headphones out of his bag, slipping it around his neck. "Why?"

"I need to restock. You know how active my nights are." Yixing winked. He laughed when Jongin blushed hard. "Anyway, I'm going to shop for my man's birthday present."

"Ok, I'm free tomorrow. See you! Don't have too much fun!" Jongin joked.

Punching Jongin's upper arm, Yixing grinned. "You're just jealous. Quickly get a boyfriend so that you're not lonely at night."

"Shut the hell up!" Jongin shoved Yixing away. They parted at the school's compound area where his best friend headed to the library while he headed out. 

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

Kyungsoo sat on the bench under the shade with his teacher beside him. He held onto the water bottle strap that was pulled across his torso for easier access and school bag sticking to his back. It seemed like his father still hadn't arrived. Maybe he got held up by work. As he watched the birds chattering with each other, a familiar figure came into view. It was him! The handsome neighbour!

"Appa!" Kyungsoo jumped up from the bench and dashed towards the tall figure. The latter seemed not to notice or hear him. So, Kyungsoo ran up to the man, crashing against his legs, falling back slightly. Fortunately, the man managed to catch him before he fell backwards from the impact. "Appa!" He pulled at the handsome neighbour's jeans.

Startled from his daydreams, Jongin pulled down his headphone once he realised who it was. "Hey, Kyungsoo. What are you doing here? Where's your father?" From the short sleeve white shirt, bright yellow colour with matching hat, mid-calve white socks and canvas shoes, he guessed it was Kyungsoo's uniform.

"I just finished school. I'm waiting for appa. Can you take me to appa?" Kyungsoo tugged on his jeans leg. "Please!"

"Where is he?" Jongin held the boy's hand as they walked back to the school where he noticed a woman, most likely his teacher, looking at him with a very subtle suspicion brewing on her face.

Kyungsoo hopped forward, pulling Jongin along. "Ms. Lee! This is my neighbour, Jongin-appa!"

Jongin swore he felt his eyes widen in shock. Him? A father? This kid, he chuckled. "Yes, that's right. I'm his neighbour. You must be his teacher. Sorry to trouble you. I don't know why he's calling me appa." He smiled softly, a little embarrassed at how Kyungsoo was implying that he and Joonmyun had some kind of a relationship. That kind of relationship. Not that he would be against it. But he hardly think that Joonmyun would appreciate being linked to a gay man like him.

"Oh, appa is still at the hospital. He always picked me up but he's late. Can you bring me to the hospital?"

"I-I don't think that's possible. What if your father is already on the way out?"

"Then can you call him?"

The teacher interrupted them. "How about I give him a call to let him know? Because we don't let our students go off without their parents."

"I understand." Jongin nodded. "Please go ahead."

They stood there watching the teacher as she whipped out her phone and dialled Joonmyun's number. She mentioned his name and then smiled. Maybe, Joonmyun had given her the green light.

"Ok, I've informed your father, Kyungsoo. You may go now. See you tomorrow." She crouched down to pat the top of Kyungsoo's head. Then she stood up and bowed slightly at him. "Nice to meet you, Jongin." A small smile crept up the tips of her glossy pink lips. He wondered if she was speculating the relationship status between him and Kyungsoo's father in that pretty head of hers.

He wished he could just say out loud that Joonmyun was his. But it was too far-fetched. Still, it didn't mean that he was going to give up that easily. Maybe, if he could win Kyungsoo's heart, it would lead to Joonmyun's. After all, he had nothing to lose. Besides his heart, that is.

The journey to the hospital didn't take long. They took a bus from the nearest bus stop. It took just a mere twenty minutes. Since he had never been to the nearby hospital, Jongin felt embarrased that he had never been here.

Glass windows surrounded the air-conditioned building. The abundance of floor-to-ceiling glass windows made the place look naturally lit. Sunlight seeping through, giving a nice ambience despite the whiteness of the whole place.Kyungsoo didn't stop talking to him, about his school and best friends. Jongin knew kids do like to be acknowlegdged for their ramblings, so he just nodded or insert a "yeah", "really", is that so" in between Kyungsoo's enthusiastic conversation. The boy didn't seem to notice that he was acting all awkward while trying to navigate his way through the massive hospital. A part of him wondered what kind of position Joonmyun held. But he had a feeling something around the lines of a medical officer. Maybe he should just ask.

"Kyungsoo, what does your father work as?"

The boy looked up at him with those big wide eyes. "Oh, appa is a doctor."

"Ok. Should we wait here or at his office?"

"Office! I know where!"

"Lead the way, Captain!" Jongin chuckled. He could really get used to having Kyungsoo around. The boy was so adorable that he'd squish the baby fats out of him.

"My appa said to get to his office, remember 1-2-3-4."

"What does that mean?"

"It means at from the entrance, turn the first corner. Then walk past two doors." Kyungsoo tugged Jongin's hands, pulling him with as much force as he could muster for someone his age. They walked past two glass doors and met the lift lobby where visitors seemed anxious to meet their loved ones. "After that, we take a lift to level three."

They rode in the slightly packed lift with Kyungsoo sticking close to him. The doors opened up at their floor. "Ok, now what, Captain Kyungsoo?"

"Go to room number four!" 

Stopping right outside the closed room with the number four attached on the door and the metal plated "Dr. Kim Joonmyun" attached, Jongin hesitated.

"We should wait outside."

"Ah, but appa won't mind."

"We shouldn't disturb your appa. Let's just wait there." Jongin pointed at the rows of plastic chairs just in front of a vending machine dispensing drinks.

The boy wouldn't budge. "No, later appa will be worried."

"I'm sure he can find us. It's not like we're hiding." He tried to reason with the boy that seemed a little stubborn for a six year-old. How should he get the boy to agree with him? An idea hit him. Ah, that would work. "Kyungsoo, how about I let you listen to some nice music while waiting?"

"What song?" Kyungsoo's ears seemed to perk up like a rabbit's would when they hear something interesting. "Is it nice?"

"Yes! Come here." Slipping the headphones over Kyungsoo's cute little head, Jongin chose a slow instrumental song and hit play. When a smile bloomed over the boy's face, he knew he'd win the boy's good side. They settled on the plastic chairs with Kyungsoo sitting over his lap, back against him. He wrapped his arms around the small frame and leaned the back of his head against the solid wall. Letting his eyelids close, he relaxed his shoulders. Just resting. That's what he told himself.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

Joonmyun collected his bag and switched off the lights, plunging the room into darkness. He locked the door behind. Finally another day gone. He was about to turn a corner when he caught a familiar form. Taking a few steps back, Joonmyun smiled to himself when he realised who it was. There seated on his neighbour's lap was his son, with headphones on. He tried not to look too closely at how Jongin was looking like an angel while asleep.

"Kyungsoo." He patted his son's cheek.

Kyungsoo stirred awake. "Appa!" He jumped out of Jongin's embrace, startling the latter awake.

"Ah, Joonmyun. Sorry, I fell asleep." Jongin stood from his position, doing a quick stretch which revealed a generous amount of skin that showed off toned navel. 

Joonmyun his lips nervously before looking away. He cleared his throat. "Thank you for bringing him here. I truly appreciate it."

"It's not a problem really." Jongin scratched the back of his neck. "I didn't know he schooled nearby."

"Appa! I'm hungry!"

Laughing at the sudden childish outburst, Joonmyun patted his son's head. "We'll eat at home, ok?"

"Ok!" Kyungsoo grinned. "Is Jongin-appa going to join us?"

Joonmyun swore he almost choked on his on saliva at the way his son was calling his neighbour. "He's not your appa, Kyungsoo. He's your hyung."

"No! He's appa!"

Jongin chuckled, hiding it behind his right hand. It suddenly made the mature-looking man looked so much younger. "How old are you?" He blurted suddenly.

Taken aback at the sudden forwardness, Jongin blinked twice before it registered in his head. "Oh, I'm twenty."

Joonmyun thought his jaw would dropped to the ground. Twenty? That's like a decade younger. Oh, dear.

 

 

A/N: Ah, have you waited too long? I apologize for the long wait ;~; I hope this make it up for now~ Aren't Kyungsoo's circle of friends super cute? <3