chapter 2

December Love

Joonmyun watched the retreating back, noticing it shift beneath the black shirt. His neighbour's tall physique didn't go unnoticed by his roaming eyes. Standing a couple of inches taller and dressed in pressed black shirt tucked into similarly coloured dressed pants, Joonmyun assumed the guy wasn't a slob given the impeccable way he was dressed. Along with his short glossy straight brown hair, chiselled cheekbones and tanned skin tone, Jongin was definitely a head turner.

"He's really handsome, Appa." Kyungsoo pulled at his pants. "What do you mean by 'a handful'? I only have two hands." He brought his two tiny hands up for inspection.

"I was just implying that you're a very active child." Joonmyun offered a smile whilst running a hand through his hair. "Yes, he is very handsome. Come on, we have dinner to make."

"I want to make one!" The boy grin widely while hopping towards the kitchen. Not before dumping his bright yellow polka-dotted bunny-faced bag onto the sofa.

"Of course! So, Chef, what are we supposed to start with?" He rolled up his sleeves while watching his son ransacking their grocery bags. "Please put the milk in the fridge first, Kyungsoo."

"Okay!"

The contents of the grocery bag were scattered over the counter, which left Joonmyun sighing. He should have asked his son to keep all these stuff first before the sandwich making. But seeing how excited his son was, made him let this one slide. It took less than ten minutes for him to place the groceries in their places. Joonmyun settled on one of the high stools while Kyungsoo intently designed the sandwich. Layer by layer, it was stacked. From a piece of cabbage to cheese to turkey ham to tomatoes to some other leafy veggie then he top it off with a few onion rings that they had bought earlier at Burger King.

"It's ready! What do you think?" Kyungsoo pushed one Tower of Pisa-like sandwich to him. "Taste it! Is it good?!"

Taking one big bite was a challenge when he had to open up his jaw so wide it almost hurts. Joonmyun squeezed the sandwich lightly so that it shrunk a little. Two bites and drippings of chilli sauce off his fingers and lips later, Joonmyun gave a thumbs up. "It's delicious, Chef! But you need to work on the presentation. And the size."

Kyungsoo made an okay sign and went to work on his own set of sandwich which actually was much smaller.

"How come you have more turkey ham than mine?" Joonmyun commented after swallowing another bite.

The boy grinned. "There was extra meat and I didn't want it to go to waste. Food waste is a no-no, Ms. Lee said."

"Right." Joonmyun didn't know if he should laugh or sigh. Kids.

He just kept smiling while watching his son taking big bites of his sandwich. The beaming face was all Joonmyun needed to make his day. Was he glad that Kyungsoo was fine after all that complications with his mother. A fleeting regret crossed him which he shook it away as quickly as it came. If he hadn't married Carol, he wouldn't have Kyungsoo. Although marrying Carol was the biggest mistake of his life, Kyungsoo had made it all better. And he was forever grateful for that.

Life would have been meaningless without his son. His precious little boy.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

The soft music from his iTouch dock speakers were the only sound that filled in this empty house. Earlier, after encountering his neighbour, Jongin couldn't seem to seat still. Nor do anything without thinking about the gorgeous creature next door. Jongin was so utterly annoyed at his reaction to the divorcé that all he did in the past hour was staring at his lecture notes. It was unproductive but still here he was, staring at the jumble of words with random neon yellow highlights, which none of it registered in his brain.

He threw his pen across the working desk and dropped his head on top of he notes, not caring that his cheeks will have paper prints on it if he fell asleep. Jongin shut his eyes, trying to rest his brains and sights. But all it did was to conjure up an image of his neighbour behind his eyelids. 

Dark brown hair that reached his ears that look like it should be nibbled on, dark eyes that had that soft bedroom gaze, lips that looked like a shade of ripe cherries was a contrast to the pale, radiant skin that made his fingers itched to have a touch. Add to that was that sunshine smile that seemed to glow from within the man. 

He's just an attractive man. It's normal to feel that way. It'll probably go away.

Yeah, that voice was probably right. He was a gay man who likes good-looking men. Just like how his straight counterparts, whom like good-looking women. Makes no difference, right?

Right, just like how you met Shin Dongwoo.

Just shut it. It was different.

How different? You met him and it was love at first sight too. Admit it you're a er for beautiful men.

Shut up. This one's different. He was just going to look. No touching. No nothing. And he's straight, for goodness sake. With a kid to boot. What's the likelihood of a formerly married man with a kid be gay? Or biual? One over a thousand. Not a very strong percentage. Really.

Jongin filed that argument away and pushed himself away from his books. He jumped onto the bed, staring at the manila cardboard boxes that still needed a hand. Sighing, he rolled over to stare at the blackness of the night instead.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

"Yo! Sleeping again?"

A slap to the back of his head got Jongin groaning awake. He yawned. "While waiting for the next lecture, might as well catch up on sleep."

"Not because of your part time work?" The man in question, who also happened to be his best friend, settled on the empty seat beside him. 

"Yixing."

"I know. Just messing with you." The Chinese man stretched out his legs out front. He spoke very fluent Korean that he was always mistaken for a native if not for his name. "How's Dongwoo?"

Jongin sat straighter in his seat at the mention of the name that was now numb on his lips. Whoever said that first love hurts the most was right. Dongwoo had been the guy that he shared all his firsts. They had met during high school during the school's art festival during rehearsals.

"I like your dance style. It's manly and y." Dongwoo had stepped out from behind one of the plastic curtains that acted as partition behind the school's main stage.

"Thanks. You have a nice voice." Jongin complimented the guy who stood almost about the same height as he did. "Could have lullaby me to sleep with that."

A chuckle from the bespectacled guy had gotten Jongin feeling all warm inside. "Do you want me to?" His voice had dropped a notch lower. And Jongin had known then that Dongwoo was just like him.

"Jongin? Where did I lose you?" Yixing shook him slightly. "I asked how was Dongwoo."

No matter how painful it was to recall that moment when he set eyes on Dongwoo dressed in white, his mind seemed to like to torture him with how beautiful he had been. "Beautiful as always. His husband's a very handsome man. From the looks of it, a wealthy man too."

"Such a waste. You could have been the one he married if you weren't so stubborn."

Jongin waved him away. "It's over. I don't want to think about it."

"Guess one could say he's lucky too. It's so hard to find a nice, rich and good-looking gay men these days."

Rolling his eyes, Jongin shook his head disapprovingly. "You already have a surgeon for a boyfriend."

"No harm looking." Yixing winked.

The students began to fill in as the lecture period was about to start. Jongin flipped open his notepad and clicked his ball point pen. Although Yixing may talk like a playboy, Jongin knew that he was too in love with his other half to even care about looking for someone else. It was all just an act to cover up for the fact that he was the kind of guy who sent mushy texts to his boyfriend. A romantic at heart. But Yixing would rather cut an arm than to admit that fact. Jongin often wondered for how much longer before that facade crumbled.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

"Okay, open your mouth for me. Ah, that's good." Joonmyun picked up one of the many ice-cream sticks, inserted it into the young girl's opened mouth with a small torch light held in his left hand. "Just a little bit. Okay."

He took the child's temperature and found that she was having a fever. Earlier he was informed that the child wasn't suffering from any coughs but experiencing stiff necks. Joonmyun did a quick swab of the back and sides of the throat. When the result came in positive, Joonmyun turned his attention back to his little patient.

"Is she going to be okay, doctor? She's been having this difficulty to breathe." A young woman with hair bun up asked him. The worry lines over her forehead made her look older than her real age. He assumed she was in her late twenties.

The girl who was dressed in a pastel green blouse over black thighs sat on the cushioned chair with her legs swinging back and fro. Her big eyes never leaving his face, anxious to know his verdict.

"It looks like she's having a mild strep throat. Just drink lots of water. I'll write up the prescription for you." He scribbled on the piece of paper and handed it to the mother of the child. "Mdm Jung, here I've prescribed her with amoxicillin. Her condition should improve within one or two days but she still has to finish the full ten days course. If it doesn't in three days, please do come back for reevaluation."

"Thank you, doctor."

Joonmyun smiled at her. "You're welcome." He pulled out one of his drawers and took a lollipop. "Here, this is for being a good girl. You can eat this after you recover."

The girl nodded. A smile bloomed on her tired features. Joonmyun waved at her as she was led out by her mother. His heart swelled at the knowledge that he had helped another child. He loved seeing a smile on these innocent human beings. It always made his day better. That was also why he loved his job. Never once had he regretted choosing this profession. Not ever.

 

 

A/N: What do you guys think? Let me know if there's  things that needed improvement on. I'm all ears. Thank you for subscribing to this non-mainstream couple! Love you all ~