chapter 1

December Love

"I didn't think you'd show up."

Kim Jongin whipped his head up to catch the small smile on Dongwoo's soft features. Dressed in a perfectly tailored white suit, Shin Dongwoo was the best looking man out here, among the crowds of nameless people that he didn't recognise. The soft gaze from the sun behind him gave Dongwoo a blissful glow that was so beautiful it made his heart clench.

How long has it been since the last time he laid his eyes on Dongwoo? A couple of months perhaps. But the pain in heart still felt fresh like it had been just yesterday when they fought. Would it have turned out differently if they hadn't? Perhaps, they will never know. Jongin let his eyes travel away from the slim body that had been his. Remembering the good times they had didn't help to ease the pain away. It only made it worse.

"I have no reason not to." Jongin replied as he sipped his glass of fruit punch, watching Dongwoo's inquiring eyes from the brim of the red wine glass. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." Dongwoo smiled widely, showing off his perfect white teeth. The black-rimmed glasses perched on his nose perfectly, framing his slightly feminine visage. "You still look as handsome as ever."

"Don't mind me. I'm glad you're happy." Jongin said in a soft, gentle tone though deep down, his heart kept breaking into pieces of shards that stabbed through him over and over again. 

"You'll find someone."

"I doubt I'll find someone like you."

"You're a good man, Jongin. I'm glad we're still friends. Please call me whenever you want, like how we used to do in high school."

Dongwoo caressed his cheek, smiled, and turned away.  He watched Dongwoo walked into his husband's arms without turning back. Not even once. The soft music played in the background but Jongin heard none of it. All he heard was his shattering heart.

Five years. And it was all gone. With the wind. Jongin only had himself to blame for the lost of the love of his life. If only he had taken that one step out of his comfort zone and taken the risk of commitment. It was too late now.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

 

He slipped the white lab coat off his shoulder and hang it over the hook behind the door. The papers on his desk were slotted into their respective drawers. He loosened the muscle knots on his back, sighing at the audible crack.
 
Joonmyun ed the top two buttons of his light blue dress shirt. Relaxation sets in the moment he switched off the lights of his consultation room. It had been a long day in the air-conditioned room and he was glad that he could finally get out. Glancing at his pale hands, Joonmyun chuckled. Maybe his colleague was right. He needed more sun.
 
After closing the door behind him, he made his way out, walking past the nurse station. A nod and a smile got them into a giggle fit.
 
"Take care, Dr. Kim! See you tomorrow!" One of the female nurse, called Beth, waved at him. She had a slightly plump figure but with the sweetest smile among them. Standing at only five foot one with dark blonde curls and long lashes framing big clear emerald green eyes, she was a pleasant sight that greeted him almost everyday.
 
And it never crossed his mind to ask her out. Maybe not now. Or never at all. Once, his personal live was settled, perhaps, he would start dating again. But most likely not with anyone from the hospital.  That would be too awkward to go through if they didn't work out.
 
"Thank you. All of you have a good rest too, okay?" Joonmyun pulled the shoulder strap of his backpack higher.
 
The colourful walls with crayon-like drawings were a welcome sight and never fail to make him smile. A glance at his wristwatch showed that it was only half past five.
 
"Ah, damn I'm going to be late!" Joonmyun muttered under his breath the moment he remembered that he needed to pick up his son at six.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

"I'm sorry, I'm a little late today." Joonmyun bowed at the homeroom teacher standing at the school's lobby with his son standing adjacent to her.
 
"It's okay, Mr. Kim. He's a good kid." She patted the young boy's head. "Kyungsoo, your father is here."
 
"Appa!" Kyungsoo let go of his teacher's hand and ran into his father's outstretched arms.
 
He felt his heart swell at the compliment. Pulling his son into an embrace, he kissed his baby cheeks.
 
"Thank you, Ms. Lee. We'll be going now. Kyungsoo, say bye to Ms. Lee."
 
"Bye!"
 
Joonmyun opened the passenger side of the car and waited for his six year-old to hop right in. After securing the seatbelt, he settled into the driver's seat and pulled out of the elementary school's compound area.
 
"What are you hungry for?" Joonmyun changed lanes while waiting for an answer. "Sandwich?"
 
Kyungsoo turned those big eyes on him. "Ham and cheese?"
 
"Okay, we'll drop by the supermarket first. I think we run out of turkey ham."
 
"Can I have strawberries too?"
 
"Strawberries?"
 
His son nodded vigorously. "Baekhyun brought this big strawberry! It was this big!" He spread his index finger and thumb apart. "It was very, very sweet."
 
Joonmyun chuckled. "Okay, we'll look for it later."

 

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

The lift finally opened on his floor. Jongin stepped out into the long corridor that was now his home. He had moved out of the apartment that he had shared with Dongwoo after the memories of their times together kept torturing his healing senses at every turn he made. Dongwoo had moved out first after they broke up, but Jongin had stayed in hopes of getting back together. Now that Dongwoo had gotten married, that apartment served no purpose to him.
 
As he neared his apartment, he spotted a man with an armful of groceries trying to unlock the door. Jongin strode forward to help, then realised his apartment was next door.
 
"Hi, do you need help?" He asked the man whose head snapped up to meet his eyes. Then a smile crept his red lips. 

"If you don't mind, that is." He chuckled.

Their fingers brushed. Once the door unlocked, Jongin entered the apartment right after this young boy who kept giving him this odd stare. The interior was simple with wood as the main theme, he assumed. A very light scent of something woodsy filled his nostrils as he walked towards the kitchen where his neighbour was.

"Where do I put these?"

"Right here. Thank you so much! I think I would've drop everything if you weren't there." The shorter man chuckled while tucking a stray strand of dark brown hair behind one ear.

"By the way, I live next door. Just moved in last week. I'm Jongin by the way." Jongin held out his hand.

"Ah, that explains why I've never seen you around before. I'm Joonmyun. It's great to finally meet you." Joonmyun grasped his hand.

Jongin felt a tingle of electricity crawling up his arms. When he looked up to see if Joonmyun felt it too, Jongin was almost surprised to find heat behind those dark eyes. Before he could speak further, Joonmyun interrupted his thoughts.

"And this is my son, Kyungsoo." Jongin shook the little boy's hand, patting the top of his head. "Such a cute boy."

"A handful too, sometimes."

"He looks a lot like you."

Joonmyun shook his head. "Nah, most of his looks comes from his mother, my ex wife."

"Ah, I see." Jongin nodded. "Okay, then I better get going."

"At least stay and have dinner with us." Joonmyun got a hold of his wrists with pleading eyes.

Jongin wanted to say yes but he couldn't seem to bring himself to do so. He didn't know what was stopping him. "I need a rain check." He said instead.

"Okay, that's a promise." Joonmyun wagged a finger at him like they had known each other for a long time. Then he gave that wide smile which momentarily stopped Jongin's heart. Literally.

 

 

A/N: I hope this chapter is good enough to appease your curiousity for now. Comments will be much appreaciated. Thank you. In case you're wondering, it's Dongwoo aka CNU of B1A4.