chapter 4

December Love

"Come on in! Don't be shy." Joonmyun joked as he opened up the door for his guest to enter his abode for the second time this week.

His guest was none other Jongin, his next door neighbour, whom had helped him fetch his son. It was only fitting to at least invite him to dinner. Since Jongin agreed, he assumed the younger man didn't have anything planned for the evening. But one can only assume as much. He wouldn't be surprised if he went out later in the night to go clubbing or whatever young people like him were doing these days. And probably get laid. He imagined someone good-looking like Jongin wouldn't have any problems hooking up with gorgeous people. 

"Take a seat here. I'm really sorry if it looks a bit messy." Joonmyun took the crayons scattered over the coffee table and deposited them into the mini mug. "He was drawing last night.I know I shouldn't make up excuses but it realy did happen."

"It's ok. I do understand. Don't worry about it."

He didn't know why he was acting all nervous now when Jongin was just another neighbour. But he reminded himself he had never had a neighbour that looked like he just stepped out of a fashion magazine gracing his home. Rarely did it happen. Probably never, if he excluded his best friend.

"What would you like to drink? We have juices, coke, plain water, coffee and tea. I'll make some fried ramyeon if it's ok with you?"

Jongin placed his bag on the floor and settled comfortably on the plush sofa. "Don't trouble yourself too much. I'll have apple juice if you have them. And fried ramyeon is fine."

"You luck out. Kyungsoo here loves apple juice. I'll get them for you. Feel free to watch the TV."

Jongin chuckled. "Apple juice is good."

Leaving Jongin in the living room with the TV as his source of entertainment, Joonmyun made his way into the kitchen where Kyungsoo was already eagerly waiting in his sky blue apron. He ordered Kyungsoo to wash his hands while he poured a glass of juice for his guest.

"Here, your apple juice." As he handed the glass to Jongin, their fingers brushed, jolting something electrifying that he'd never felt in such a long time. Joonmyun pulled his hands away and excused himself.

It was nothing. Nothing. Really.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

Jongin said his thanks and sipped his drink while discreetly watching Joonmyun's retreating back. He wondered if work had made the man's back looked stiff. Maybe... or maybe not. He switched on the TV, changing from one channel to another. When he decided that there weren't anything good, he switched to the music channel and went to check the framed photos displayed on a lego-like green platform attached to the cream-coloured wall right beside the TV.

They were photos of Joonmyun and Kyungsoo. The ex-wife was nowhere to be found. But seeing how adorable the young boy was, one could only guess that she must have been a very beautiful lady. A part of him wondered why they split. Maybe, if given a chance, he'd like to get to know this beautiful man more. For now, he was glad being just the neighbour.

He picked up a framed photo of a smiling Joonmyun, eyes sqeezed shut, glistening hair under the sun with hands wrapping on each of his son's ankles as the latter sat on his shoulder. That smile. So carefree, young and beautiful. Jongin gulped. His stomach flipped. This wasn't the reaction he expected. He put it back where it was.

I shouldn't be feeling this way. Joonmyun is off limits.

The enticing smell of food got his legs moving towards the source in the kitchen. Something about the way Joonmyun's back relaxed while watching his son cut up the kimchi with a kids' knife made him want to be part of it. Part of this family. Only if.

He squelched it before any sort of idea had a chance to bloom in his mind.

"What are you doing, Kyungsoo?" He asked the obvious, just to make conversation with the wide-eyed boy.

"I'm cutting kimchi!"

"Can I have a taste?"

"Here!" Kyungsoo gave him one fat chunk gleefully. "Is it nice?"

Jongin nodded. "It's good! Where did you buy this?" He the pad of his fingers clean, brushing off the feeling of being watched by the older man.

"Appa made it! Appa can cook delicious food!" Kyungsoo set the knife aside, which Joonmyun took away immediately, but not before Jongin caught a glimpse of his blushing face.

Isn't that just adorable?

"What are you doing here, Jongin?" Joonmyun asked while chopping the onions. "Are you out of drinks?"

"No, there weren't anything good on TV. Besides, it's much more interesting to look at how you prepare food." Jongin chuckled as he took the empty high stool opposite of where Joonmyun stood. Seeing the tears streaking down the pale cheeks, Jongin grabbed a kitchen towel and dabbed them away without thinking twice.

Joonmyun let out a small gasp, pulling back reflexively. He blinked a few times as though in shock. Despite the surprised look, Jongin didn't regret the move. One wouldn't know if one didn't try, right? At least now he knew how Joonmyun would react to his actions. The truth was out there in the open. His touch weren't welcome. Still, Jongin didn't think he would stop trying to bring this gorgeous man to play for his team.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think." Jongin apologised though deep down he wasn't sorry. Not at all.

The older man just looked at him strangely, as though contemplating on the right words to say. When silence brewed between them, Kyungsoo broke it by giggling.

"Stop staring at my appa." The boy giggled again. "He can't cook if you keep looking."

The sudden warmth around his cheeks could only mean that he was blushing and Jongin hardly blush. Really.

"Kyungsoo." Joonmyun shook his head disapprovingly although a small smile crept up the tips of his peachy red lips.

"Yes, appa?"

"Let's cook."

"Ok!"

Jongin just sat where he was and watched the father and son pair do their thing. It was fasinating to be the spectator to this amazing pair. Something ached deep him in. He didn't want to look too deep into it. Let's just say he wasn't ready to uncover the truth about his fascination with his dream man.

 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

 

Once the dishes had been taken care of, they had moved to the sofa watching some kind of art and crafts show for kids. The moment Kyungsoo dozed off, Joonmyun carried him into his room, tucking him into bed.

"He fell asleep." Joonmyun settled back on the vacated side of the sofa, feeling every fibre of his body being aware of the younger man's presence.

"Your son is adorable." Jongin smiled softly at the older man before looking away. "I'd love to have a kid of my own sometime in the future."

"Then you should go out and meet that girl. Your soul mate is somewhere out there waiting for you, I'm sure."

He snorted. "Easier said than done."

"What's so hard? You're young and handsome."

"You think so?" Jongin looked into the other man's dark eyes. "Thanks."

"Don't you have some kind of an ideal type?"

"I do." And it's you. "I like someone older."

"Age hardly matters, right?"

"That's what they always say before jumping into the relationship."

Joonmyun grew quiet. And Jongin panicked for a moment, thinking that he had offended the other man.

"Maybe."

A glance at the clock showed that it was half past nine. He needed to get back to finish his project even when his heart was protesting, demanding that he stayed put. Jongin didn't trust himself not to pour out his pathetic love life, if he stayed on. Choosing the safer option, Jongin beat a hasty retreat with a quick hug, and promising to come over again during his free time.

Back in his apartment, Jongin quickly showered and finished another half of his ongoing project. When it was done, he jumped into bed and thought of how right it was to have Joonmyun in his arms.

 

 

A/N: I'm glad everyone likes the mini kyungsoo/baekhyun/chanyeol/tao! Thank you for all the kind comments! <3