Chapter 4

This is What We Do

 

 

“Their wish is the same, which is … to not getting any taller next year.  How cute is that?” Hara giggled.  For a minute there was only silence but then all of them laughed together.  “Hahaha, that is cute” Jaejin said after his laughter subsided.  “But why do they wish that?” Suho asked.  Nicole sighed “Because they don’t want to look outstanding.  Jiyoung was upset when she looked at our pictures in 2012 MAMA, and there was this one photoshoot that she was taller even when we wore high heels and she wore flat.  Sulli and Suzy expressed the same complain.” 

“But Krystal is shorter than Sulli, why doesn’t she want to get any taller?” Jinwoon asked.  Hara giggled again “That’s because Sulli and Sica-unnie asked her to not getting any taller.”  “Huh? Why?” Hara explained “Sulli said because Krystal’s height at the present is perfect for her to put her hands on Krystal’s shoulder, cute isn’t it? But Jessica-unnie’s reason is cuter than that.  She said if Krystal is getting any taller, Sica-unnie will have difficulty if she wants to kiss Krystal.  Aren’t they cute?” everyone couldn’t even agree more.

“I think there’s another reason for them to be afraid of getting any taller” Nana said.  After saying it, the blonde girl just continued to eat her meal.  “Yah!” Nana looked up from her plate, glared at Key and asked “What?” Key scoffed at her “You can’t just stop right there! Tell us the other reason.” Nana gave him blank look “What other reason?”  Min gritted her teeth “The other reason for those girls not wanting to get any taller?”

“Ah, that” Nana finally remembered.  She looked at her fellow idols and said “I thought it’s obvious.”  Her friends sighed.  Nana gave a scornful look at them, “It’s because they can’t get any boyfriend if they keep getting taller.” 
“What?”
“Huh?”
“Why?”

Nana rolled her eyes, “I’m asking you boys, what is the physical criteria of ideal girlfriend for you?” Nana threw look at the male idols and sneered “I bet all of you want a girl who is shorter than you.  Cute and petit” she pointed her finger at them.  “Those girls are only teenager.  That means their body are still developing.  They could get taller and taller each year until they reach 22-23 years old”

“Hey, we’re not like that ...” Jinwoon protested.  Nana raised her right eyebrow “Oh, please don’t be a hyprocrite.  Just admit it that you want a girlfriend who is shorter than you so when you hug her, her head is just right below your chin.  The right position to kiss her forehead or the top of her head, which can be look as romantic although that's totally naive, in my opinion”

“Boyfriend!? ... Boyfriend!?” Key huffed “Sulli dan Krystal are not allowed to have or think about boyfriend, at all.  They’re just babies! Babies, I tell you! Babies!!!” Key looked irritated, and so did Minho, Suho and Lay.  Nana looked at them with amusement in her eyes, “Ah, finally I see with my own eyes.  The infamous over protectiveness of the male SM idols” The After School member laughed.  Minho looked at Nana annoyed, “This is not funny, Nana!”

“Oh ... oh I think this is very funny.  I thought only Leeteuk-oppa who behave like that, being overprotective toward his female young ones, especially Seohyun here.  But apparently it’s contagious to the others as well” Nana explained with mirth evident in her eyes.  She turned her attention to Suho and Lay “Do they teach it in your company?” Suho and Lay looked at each other before turned to Nana, “What do you mean, Nana-sshi?” Suho asked her.  “I think what she meant to ask is does your company teach you how to be overprotective toward your female label mates?” Dongwoon explained with a chukled. 

“Of course not, Dongwoon-ah” Seohyun answered.  Hara giggled “I bet Leeteuk-oppa is the one who teach them to be like that.”  Seohyun shook her head “It’s not like that.  Leeteuk-oppa think of us as his own dongsaeng.  I have known him since I was in 5th grade.  So did Yoona-unnie, Hyoyeon-unnie, Yuri-unnie, Sooyoung-unnie and Sica-unnie.  We’ve known our label mates since we were children.  Sulli became trainee when she was only 11 years old, while Krystal, although she officially joined when she was 12 but she always come to the agency since she was 6.” Key nodded in agreement and added “Sulli and Krystal are like … practically grew up in front of our eyes.  That’s also including Taemin, Kai and …” suddenly Key got up from his seat with hands flew to his mouth “Oh My God!!! Taeminie!!!”

“Geez, Key. Don’t scream like that.  You’ll bother the other customer” Jaejin reprimanded him while casting a look at the only costomer at the cafe beside them.  A nerdy foreign girl who sat not too far from their table.  She threw them a dark look then put on her headphone and back to read the gigantic book she had on her hand.  Key ignored him and turned to Minho “What if Taemin has a girlfriend?” His fellow band mate just shook his head and sighed.  “What if he dates a noona? What if that noona doesn’t really love our maknae and only taking advantage of his innocent?” Key grabbed Minho’s collar and shook his friend “What if our maknae is not ...” Minho grabbed Key’s hands and said “Don’t you ever ... ever finish that sentence, Kibum! Ever!

“You’re being dramatic again, Kibum” Min said.  “And you just ruined my image of pure and innocent little Taeminnie.  Thank you very much, Key” Hara muttered in annoyance.  Key mumbled his apologies but quickly glared at Nana “This is because of you, Nana.  I get weird ideas about my own maknae” Nana folded her hands in front of her chest “Why is it my fault when it was all in your head?  I don’t live there.”  “Well, you’re the one who planted the idea of the 94liners about not getting any boyfriend” Dongwoon said.  "Hello, if you didn't notice.  I didn't speak anything about Taemin" Nana rolled her yes. 

“I can’t imagine if our SMTown babies get any boyfriends, really.  Especially Krystal.  She’s like the baby of all babies” Key sighed. “Kibum, I think if Krystal does have a boyfriend, all of you don’t have to be worry because he’s your label mate after all.  And by the way Krystal describes him, he’s very kind and charming” Nicole said with a smile in her face, “What’s his name again, Hara? ... Oh yes, Tao”  Lay, who was sipping his coke, choked when he heard his maknae’s name mentioned.  Suho’s jaw dropped and so did Key and Minho.