Chapter 3

This is What We Do

“Annyong haseyo!” a sweet voice was heard and all of them looked at the door, including Key who finally stopped his laugh.  Seohyun bowed to them and smiled “I’m sorry for coming late.”  Jinwoon got up from his chair to greet her only to be intercepted by Nicole who jumped from her seat to hug her best friend and squealed “Seohyun-ah!!!”  Seohyun returned her with a serene smiled on her face.  “How are you, Nicole-yah?”

“I’m fine” Nicole said.  She released her hug and looked at Seohyun from head to toe then frowned “Are you getting taller?” Seohyun furrowed her brow “I don’t think so” Nicole looked at her and pouted “Are you sure?  Seohyun smiled “I’m sure.  Sooyoung-unnie is still taller than me.  Yesterday I stood next to her.  We were bare footed and she’s still taller than me.”  Minho raised his eyebrows “You’re using her as measurement?”  The SNSD maknae nodded smiling. 

After the waitress took the idols orders for food and drink, Hara asked Seohyun “Does every maknae do that?” Seohyun looked at her confusedly “What do you mean?” Hara pointed at Minho “I ever saw Taemin used Minho as his height measurement.  Krystal does that also” Key nodded in agreement “Yes, she right.  Taemin does that since before we’re debuted”
“But I’m different.  Our maknae is taller than us” Min pouted.  “Not just you, ours is taller too” Nicole complained also.  “Ah, best friend too, aren’t they? And they have the same nick name too.  Giant Maknae” Key laughed. 

“Sulli is one too although she is called Giant Baby” Minho said.  “But she’s not the real maknae, though.  Krystal is” Nana said.  Mir held up his hand “Question! Why do SM idol groups have many maknaes?  Super Junior has three: Captain Cho, Ryeowook-hyung and Henry-hyung, f(x) has Sulli and Krystal and lastly, EXO has three also: Tao, Kai and Sehun” The five SM Town idols looked at each other then Key said “Seohyun can explain it.”  “Huh? Why me?” Seohyun asked. Key rolled his eyes “Duh, you are our sunbae and more importantly you are a maknae.”  Minho nodded “That makes sense.”

Seohyun sighed and took a deep breath “Okay, let’s start with Super Junior oppa-deul.  You do remember that they were 12 members, right.  At that time the actual maknae is Kibum-oppa but Ryeowook-oppa, who is also the same age as Kibum-oppa and the last to join the group is, looks younger than Kibum-oppa is or even looks younger than anyone, ever.  Hence, he got the nickname Eternal Maknae.  Then Kyuhyun-oppa was added.  Since he born in early February’88, he is the same age as Ryeowook-oppa.  That makes him the real maknae.  But since Ryeowook-oppa’s nickname is Eternal Maknae and he’s one of the youngest in the group, he is still considered as maknae while Henry-oppa is Super Junior M’s maknae.  Sulli and Krystal are the same like Ryeowook-oppa and Kyuhyun-oppa.  They are the same age and only several months apart.  While EXO is a little bit different, although the same condition does apply for Kai and Sehun.  EXO is divided into two sub groups, M and K.  Tao is EXO-M’s maknae while Sehun is EXO-K’s.  Kai is only several months older than Sehun and younger than Tao, hence he still considered as maknae too”

Everyone was quiet and looked at Seohyun with an awe expression.  The silence was broke when Nana clapped her hands and said “Wow, this is probably the first time ever!” Seohyun looked at the blond girl in confusion “First time ever? For what?”  With hands still clapping, Nana said with a huge grin “The first time ever I saw you spoke that much ... in like what? A single breath?  It’s a world record, really” Everyone laughed at her comment even Seohyun.  “I can’t believe myself either” Seohyun said.  Nicole nudged her “You should consider to be a rapper instead” Seohyun shook her head “The other unnies are better, especially Tiffany-unnie.”

“Speaking of maknae, yesterday there was a maknae meeting in our dorm” Hara said.  Nicole furrowed her brow “That wasn’t maknae meeting, Hara-yah.  That was 94 liners meeting, since there were only Jiyoung, Sulli, Krystal and Suzy who came, which coincidently are maknae as well”  Hara waved her hand “Yeah, yeah whatever the meeting is called, what I want tell you about is their conversation.”  Seohyun frowned at Hara “Are you eavesdropping on their conversation?”  “I’m not. They talked a little bit louder in the living room and I heard them all the way in my room” Hara said defensively “Anyway, their conversation was so cute.  They talked about their new year wishes and you know what?” All of them, except Nicole, shook their heads.  Hara rolled her eyes “Of course I haven’t told you anything.”  Key sighed “So just tell us!”