Chapter 1

This is What We Do

Hara and Nicole were slurping their bubble tea when the other 91 liners came to the cafe, Mir, Dongwoon and Jaejin.  They exchanged their greeting and the three young men sat next to the 2 KARA members.  Nicole started to chat with the other 3 idols.  Hara joined the conversation occasionally.

10 minutes later, Nana and Min came.  Both were breathless.  They looked like they were running to get to the cafe.  Hara asked “Why are you looking like you’ve been chased by a rabid dog?”  Min plopped her selves next to her and answered “There were some people following us.  So we took different route to distract them so they can’t follow us here.”  Mir furrowed his eyebrows “The sasaeng fans?”  Nana sighed “Probably” the blonde sat beside Nicole and put her face down to the table and said “My life !”  The others murmured their agreement. 

Yes, their life .  You would think life as an idol would feel like in heaven or something.  Well, maybe if you’re an idol in the US or England, you could do everything you want.  You could buy everything you want, went shopping every day, hangout with your friends, and went clubbing or even dating.  “Well, we’re not Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift” Nicole once said at one of their meeting sometime ago.  “And Seoul is not Hollywood.”

Sometime some of the 91 liners would voice their envy at Hara who was dating Junhyung.  In which Hara always said they shouldn’t envy her at all since she and Junhyung practically can’t meet as much and as long as they wanted.  Hara counted they only met twice in four months. Twice!   She met Dongwoon two times more than that because of 91 liners meeting in that same period.  The contrast!   On those times, Dongwoon always sat farther away from Hara because he was afraid Hara would kick him in the shin because he could hangout while her boyfriend can’t.

“Hey, guys!  Long time no see” Jinwoon greeted them brightly.  He realized the moody atmosphere among his friends.  “Geez, what’s with the long face, my friends?” Jinwoon asked.  Mir looked at him with a frown.  “Why are you so cheerful today?”
“Bang Cheolyong my friend, the right question should be why all of you are so gloomy?” Jinwoon asked with a grinned attached to his face.  One would think that his face was made like that Joker guy from Batman, since Jinwoon didn’t stopped grinning since he came to the cafe. 

Jaejin mocked him “One thing for sure if Jinwoonie act like this” he looked at his friends and all of them said in unison “Seohyun is coming!”  Jinwoon gaped at his friends.  Jaejin, Mir, Dongwoon, Nicole and Min were laughing at him while Nana and Hara just shook their head.  The 2AM maknae blushed furiously.  “You do realize that she is taken, right?” Nana reminded him.  Jinwoon sighed and slump his shoulder, “How can I not with you reminding me every time we meet” Nana stuck her tongue at him.

“Jinwoonie, how do you know that Seohyun will come?” Nicole asked.  Usually, Seohyun would tell her if she wanted to come to the 91 liners meeting.  Nicole felt she’s been neglected by her friend, Seohyun.  She knew from Jiyoung that Seohyun often came to the Maknae Comrade meeting.  A meeting that only attended by maknae of idol groups.  Not all of them but only from several idol groups.  It’s not because of it was exclusive but because the close friendship of the members.  At first, Maknae Comrade actually was only for SMTown maknae.  But it changes in 2010, when Jiyoung, Jiyeon and Chansung were invited to join the club.  From then it spread to several other maknaes: Jinwoon and Lizzy (because of Chansung); Suzy and Sohyun (from 94 liners); Mir, Dongwoon, and Dongho (from Jinwoon), then several others.  Nicole could understand the situation, though.  Seohyun would always come to the Maknae Comrade meeting because her boyfriend was there also.  But still in her heart, Nicole wished Seohyun would spend her precious time, even a little bit, with her like they used to.