Can It Be True? (Hoon)

Running From My Heart

A/N: More SooHoon for you magnificent KissMe's. Also, it may be a while before I get another chapter up after this so enjoy what you have. >.>

It only took about an hour but Kiseop finally decides to challenge Jaeseop. The rapper loses miserably.

“I can’t believe you lost to an ulzzang,” Eli teases.

“What can I say? He’s a great dancer,” AJ replies.

“Damn right I am,” Kiseop agrees overhearing AJ.

“Hey!”

At the call we all turn to see Dongho returning from his solo gaming.

“I found this awesome motorcycle racing game! Four of us can race against each other at the same time!” he announces excitedly. “Do you guys wanna go try it out?”

“Sure, sounds fun,” Kiseop replies stepping down from the DDR platform.

“I want to try it,” Soohyun answers.

“Me, too!” Eli agrees.

“Alright, c’mon, let’s go~!” the maknae cheers as he leads the group to a different part of the arcade.

We enter the part of the arcade with all of the racing and first-person shooter games.

“It’s this one over here,” Dongho says pointing to four red machines.

Two machines were on one side while the other two were pressed to the back of the other two, each one had a small platform with a red, black and silver bike set in front of each screen.

Quickly, Dongho, Eli, Soohyun, and Kiseop choose a bike and insert tokens into the machine.

“So,” Jaeseop says. “Who do you think is gonna win?”

“Dongho,” Kevin and I answer in unison.

“Really? AJ asks surprised. “I was banking more in Eli’s favour,” he admits.

I guess we’ll just have to see,” I reply.

Dongho and Soohyun were next to each other, Eli right across from Soohyun, and Kiseop across from the maknae.

“You’re going down, hyung,” Dongho says in an attempt to unnerve the leader.

“Hey, Dongho, shut up or else I’ll have Jaeseop race against you instead,” Soohyun shoots back. “See how you’ll like getting your kicked twice in the same day.”

“That was one time!” Dongho retorts. “There’s no way he’ll beat me again!”

“Dongho,” Eli calls. “Just choose your damn character already, we’re all waiting on you!”

Jaeseop, Kevin and I couldn’t help but laugh.

After a few more moments we hear the in-game voice begin to count down.

            Ready. . . three. . . two. . . one. . . .GO!

“I wonder why they can’t be this focused during rehearsals,” AJ says with a laugh.

“Get out of the way, ulzzang!” Eli growls, a scowl on his face, his eyes never leaving the screen.

“Eh, maybe later,” Kiseop teases.

Kevin goes over to Eli’s side, looking over into the screen.

“Dongho. . . you’re losing?” Kevin asks in surprise.

“Shush!” Dongho says in frustration.

“Haha! He’s even losing to both of the NPC’s,” Soohyun chuckles.

“I might be losing now, but I won’t lose the race!” Dongho answers back in determination.

“Who’s winning?” I ask.

“Uh, none of them. Kiseop’s in second and Soohyun’s in third.”

“Oh, crap, u-turn!” Soohyun swears leaning as far as he could to his left on the toy motorcycle.

“Don’t worry, Soohyun,” Kiseop calls. “It caught me off guard, too!”

“You could have warned me!”

“Hm, I could have, couldn’t I?” Kiseop answers in a taunting manner.

“Jerk. . .” Soohyun grumbles.

A growl of frustrating escapes Dongho.

“Woah! That is a pretty tight turn!” Eli exclaims.

“Right?” Soohyun replies.

            Winner, Player four!

“Yes!” Kiseop cheers.

“No!” Dongho cries in dismay.

“Tough luck, maknae,” Soohyun chuckles.

            Third place, Player two!

            Fourth place, Player three!

“Yeah! Fourth place! I beat Dongho!” Eli calls triumphantly.

            Sixth place, Player one!

“I don’t like this game. . .” Dongho grumbles as he gets off of the aluminum motorcycle.

“Let’s race another track!” Eli says.

“Alright!” Soohyun and Kiseop agree.

“Do one of you want to fill in for Dongho?” Eli asks turning to Jaeseop and I.

“I’ll try,” Jaeseop volunteers.

“Hoon~!” Kevin calls my name as he walks over to me. “Wanna go play Guitar Hero with me~?”

“Yeah, sure,” I answer.

“Yay~! C’mon,” he cheers hooking our arms together.

He leads me past the air hockey tables and to one of the Guitar Hero games. Kevin releases my arm and takes Eli’s backpack off setting it on the floor in front of the machine. We insert the tokens needed and strap on the plastic guitars. Kevin quickly chooses a song.

            It’s been a while since I’ve played this. . .

I choose the bass part on medium difficulty. Kevin chooses guitar on the same difficulty.

“So,” Kevin begins as the game loads. “What’s this with you and Soohyun? The little plush bunny, and I heard from Kiseop that Soohyun didn’t sleep in his bed last night,” he continues as the song begins with a bright guitar solo. “I have a feeling that he spent the night with you. Am I right?”

I gulp, my eyes are focused on the screen, my fingers playing along with the game.

“Y-yes,” I reply. “He slept with me.”

“Is there something between you two?” Kevin asks.

The question catches me off guard; I miss a few notes in the game.

“No,” I answer quickly. “Of course not.”

The dongsaeng simply lets out a thoughtful “hm”. A few more bars pass in the game, only the sound of music is heard with the murmur of people in the arcade accompanied by the crashing sounds from other games.

“You like him don’t you?”

Again I miss more notes.

“What?” I blurt. “N-no. Me? Like Soohyun? Don’t be silly Kevin.” Another guitar solo begins.

“Hoon,” Kevin says sternly, his gaze not leaving the screen.

I sigh as the bass adds in after the guitar solo.

“Oh, Kevin,” I murmur. “I don’t know what to do. He’s my leader, how is it right for me to feel this way about him?”

“It’s okay to like someone,” Kevin answers. “Don’t ever think it’s a bad thing.”

“But Soohyun isn’t even. . .” I trail off.

“Gay?” And again I miss more notes.

I let out another distressed sigh. The song reaches its final chord.

“I can’t tell him, Kevin,” I whisper.

Kevin and I set the guitars back, the dongsaeng grabs Eli’s bag and puts it on.

“Let me tell you something,” Kevin says leading me to a quieter spot at the now abandoned air hockey tables.

“W-what is it?” I ask curious yet terrified at what the smaller man might say.

“I need to tell you something about Soohyun,” he answers.

I remain silent as Kevin takes a deep breath.

“It’s been awhile since Soohyun has last had a romantic relationship with someone,” he pauses. “It’s been about a year and a half now. The last person he dated was actually part of U-Kiss.”

            What?

“Who?” I ask instinctively.

“It was one of the former members. I know we had agreed not to talk about this to you or AJ, but I think you deserve to know, Hoon. His last relationship was with Kibum. Things between them ended very badly though.”

“What happened?”

“At first they were really happy together, it was great to see them so happy. . . but as their relationship continued, Kibum wanted more. Soohyun wasn’t ready to take that step, he wanted to wait. Then, who knows what happened but Kibum began to change. He started acting very different. . . he became really aggressive towards Soohyun.”

“Aggressive? What did he do?” I ask scared of the answer.

“At first it wasn’t too bad. He would only raise his voice at Soohyun, but later on he started to physically hurt him. When it started it was just a few slaps but even then that got worse. Soon he ended up punching, kicking. . . Soohyun couldn’t go a day without a new bruise on him. . .”

“Why didn’t Soohyun leave him?”

“Soohyun was in love with him. Even though Kibum began to mistreat him Soohyun had loved him long before that. Letting Kibum go wasn’t a simple task for him. . .”

I feel my heart break at the thought of seeing Soohyun in those days.

“We tried to protect Soohyun but no matter what we did we weren’t able to watch him all day. . . Eventually, though, Soohyun let him go. They broke up. . . but, it cost Soohyun more than he expected. . .” Kevin’s eyes filled with the flicker of sad memories.

“What do you mean?” I ask not sure whether or not I really want to know.

“That’s something for Soohyun to tell you himself,” Kevin answers.

“Why?”

“It’s not for me to tell,” Kevin answers. “But please,” he continues. “Be careful, don’t hurt him.”

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

            Don’t hurt him. . .

Kevin’s words echo in my head.

            What could have possibly happened to Soohyun? What else happened when he broke up with Kibum?

“Hyung, you space out a lot, you know that?” Dongho’s voice cuts through my thoughts.

“Uh, I. . .” I stutter. “Sorry, I don’t mean to. . .”

“I know,” Dongho replies sympathy in his eyes. “Something’s been bugging you hyung.”

            He can tell too?

“How can you tell?” I ask.

“You’ve been like this for a long time,” Dongho answers. “Since a few weeks after you joined the group. I really want to know what it is that you’re always thinking about and why it bothers you. But, if you don’t want to tell me then I understand,” he adds as we enter the movie theater, the scent of popcorn wreathing around my nose.

            What’s the point in telling him? He won’t understand. . .

“It’s. . .” I look at Soohyun who’s buying snacks for the group. “. . . him. . .”

Dongho follows my gaze, I feel confusion coming from the maknae.

“Soohyun hyung?” Dongho murmurs. “What? You still haven’t told him?”

“What?” He knows?! But how? I didn’t tell him anything. . .

Wait.

            Jaeseop.

“Who told you?” I look at Dongho a mixture of anger and embarrassment floods over me.

“What do you mean?” Dongho asks, a bit offended. “No one told me anything. Can’t I figure things out on my own?”

“It’s just, I-” I stutter.

“I figured it out months ago hyung,” Dongho confesses. “It wasn’t difficult for me tell.”

            I’ve definitely been underestimating Dongho.

“Why haven’t you told him?” Dongho asks. “Are you scared~?” he teases.

“Yes, actually,” I admit. “Also, I’m not sure if he even likes guys,” I lie hoping to confirm Kevin’s words by hearing what the maknae has to say.

“Of course he is,” Dongho answers confidently as we enter the halls to find the room where the movie was going to start. “He even dated-” he stops midsentence.

            He must’ve forgotten that he was supposed to keep that secret. . .

“It’s alright,” I whisper to him as we enter the room. “Kevin told me already.”

“Really?” Dongho whispers back. “Well, so much for keeping that secret.”

Dongho, Jaeseop and I sit in the row behind Soohyun, Kiseop, Kevin and Eli. Luckily, Dongho and I sit behind Eli and Kevin, Jaeseop was on Dongho’s right behind Kiseop. Soohyun was on the far side to Kiseop’s right. On the movie screen commercials were playing advertising food, cell phone companies and other ridiculous items.

“Wait,” Dongho says seeming to have realized something. “If you already knew about this why did you say you weren’t sure if Soohyun hyung is gay?” Dongho whispers to me.

“Uh, honestly, I thought Kevin wasn’t telling the truth,” I admit.

“Kevin hyung isn’t one to lie.”

“I know, but it’s just so difficult to believe that something like that could happen to Soohyun. He’s such a nice guy.”

“I know what you mean. Be glad you weren’t there to see it hyung. It’s terrible not being able to help someone you love. Soohyun hyung is like family to me, I hope I don’t have to see anything like that happen to any of you ever again.”

I look over at Soohyun. He’s talking happily with Kiseop and AJ waiting for the movie to begin.

            It’s really hard to believe that happened to him. . .

An image builds in my mind. Soohyun on the floor of his bedroom, tears streaming from his chocolate brown eyes, bruises adorning his face and his arms. A dark figure looming over him, shouting and striking hits at my leader. Blood trickles from Soohyun’s lips as he begs his abuser to stop. . .

“Hyung,” the maknae starts speaking again. “You should just tell Soohyun hyung how you feel about him. I think you two would be great together, you already make him very happy. Ever since you and AJ arrived in U-Kiss he hasn’t had any of those terrible nightmares about Kibum. I think there’s a good chance that hyung may like you.”

I look at Dongho with hope and disbelief battling in my heart.

“I hope he does,” I reply. “I really want to make him happy.”

------

A/N: So, the first Hoon section is almost done for those of you waiting to see Soohyun's part. Prepare yourselves. I think there will be one more chapter in Hoon's POV and then it'll switch to our lovely U-Kiss leader's point of view. Hope you guys are ready for that.