Why Can't I Tell You? (Hoon)

Running From My Heart

“Hoon.”

I hear someone call my name. Slowly, I open my eyes, I feel someone shake my left arm.

“Hoon, wake up, the movie’s almost over,” I hear Soohyun’s voice, as if warning me.

“I dun wanna,” I mumble pressing closer to the leader as I tighten my grip on his hand.

“C’mon, Bunny, let’s take you to your room to rest,” Soohyun whispers.

Soohyun pulls his hand away rising from the sofa.

“I’m going to take Hoon to his room and I’m going to bed, too,” Soohyun says to the other members.

“So early?” Dongho complains.

“Sorry, Dongho, we’ll hang out a bit tomorrow, yeah?” Soohyun apologizes.

“Okay, good night, hyung,” Dongho replies.

The others murmur good night as well.

“Alright.” Soohyun turns back to me, a mischievous grin on his. “Bed-time, Bunny.”

Soohyun leans over and picks me up holding me over his shoulder.

“Hey, let go! I don’t wanna go to my bed, the sofa was comfy!”

I hear the others laughing as Soohyun carries me into the hall towards my room. I feel myself blush.

We enter my room, Soohyun gently sets me down on my bed. He turns to leave, I quickly grab his arm.

“Soohyun~!” I mope. “Don’t leave . . .”

A look of confusion crosses the leader’s face. I’m suddenly aware of what I had said.

“Please?” I add, blushing furiously.

A dark look crosses my leader’s face. As quickly as it came, the look disappears replaced by a thoughtful look.

“Well. You did say please. . .” Soohyun remarks.

I move on my bed so I was on the side against the wall. I lie down and gesture to Soohyun to join me.

“Come on, just for tonight at least,” I pout.

“Well,” he pauses. “Alright,” he agrees. “One night away from my bed won’t kill me I guess. Don’t you want to change into something more comfortable though?” he adds as he joins me.

“Nah, I’m fine like this. You have no idea how often I fall asleep in jeans,” I reply as I pull the sheets over us.

I try to find my comfortable spot. The room was dark, Soohyun hadn’t bothered to turn on the light, the only light was filtering from the partially opened door and the digital clock.

I feel Soohyun still shifting in the bed, clearly unable to find a good spot.

            Just go for it, Hoonmin, just hold him already!

The voice in my head was pressing me to make a move, but nervousness kept me at bay. At that moment, Soohyun turns onto his side to look at me.

“So. . .” he begins. “Why so eager for me to sleep here?”

“I, uh,” ­How do I answer that? “I, well, AJ had company last night so I decided that tonight maybe I’d have some company.”

Beneath the sheets I wrap my arms around the leader’s waist. He clearly welcomed it as he snuggles closer to me, his head resting near my chest. I rest my head on the pillow, my chin just above the top of Soohyun’s head. I hear another of his content sighs.

            If only I could tell you how I feel about you . . . and how you’re making me feel right now. . . I don’t feel all alone anymore. . .

It feels so right to be holding him. My heart feels like it’s melting at his touch, all those years of loneliness seem so distant.

“Soohyun?” I whisper attempting to get his attention.

There’s no reply. He’s asleep.

            I’ll tell you in the morning . . .

I close my eyes letting sleep claim me.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I feel something touching my hair. I open my eyes slowly, still groggy with sleep, and the first thing I see is him.

He’s on his side, his left elbow propping him up, his right hand running through my hair. I catch his eyes, they’re still cloudy with sleep, his hair looks unkempt, and the air between us is warm from our breath.

“Good morning, Bunny,” Soohyun greets.

“Good morning,” I yawn. “Did you have to wake me?” I ask sarcastically.

“No,” he replies. “But I wanted to.”

I grunt as I stretch my refreshed muscles. As I do so, Soohyun pulls me closer to him with the hand that had been playing with my hair.

“Soohyun,” I whine. “Let go . . .”

“Do I have to?” Soohyun complains.

Before I can answer, someone calls from the hallway.

“Soohyun? Are you up yet?”

It’s Kiseop.

“What is it?” Soohyun calls back, a trace of irritation in his voice.

“The rest of the guys decided that we should go to the arcade,” Kiseop replies, his voice sounding from the other side of the door. “Do you guys wanna come?”

Soohyun lets go of me and gives me a look that asks “Do you?”

            Don’t go, you can stay and spend time alone with Soohyun.

I feel my face heat up.

“Hoon?” Soohyun says. “Do you want to go with them?”

Nervousness engulfs me.

“S-sure,” I answer. “It’ll be fun!”

            Idiot . . .

“Alright,” he says. “We’ll go,” Soohyun calls to Kiseop.

“Okay, hurry and get ready. We wanna leave as soon as we can. We’ll get some breakfast on the way,” Kiseop says.

I hear Kiseop walk away, his footsteps sounding past the wall behind me as he heads for his room.

I heave a disappointed sigh. Soohyun looks at me, concern in his eyes.

“What’s wrong, Bunny?” he asks.

            What’s wrong? I wanted to stay here with you but I’m too damn scared to admit how I feel!

I feel frustration build up inside of me.

“It’s just I . . .” I begin stopping mid-sentence unsure whether or not to admit to Soohyun that I want to spend the day alone with only him.

“What is it? You can tell me,” he murmurs sincerely.

“. . . It’s nothing,” I sigh. “I’m going to shower,” I mumble crawling out of bed.

I go to grab a change of clothes. I take my towel and look back at Soohyun. He was sitting up now, his eyes focusing on me. His gaze seems to say something almost as if he had asked it out loud:

            I know something is on your mind, please tell me. . .

I tear my gaze away from him and redirect it towards the floor as I leave the room.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It’s a Saturday so obviously the mall is packed with people, namely teenagers.

We have just left the restaurant. My stomach is content, the food there actually wasn’t half-bad. I wish I was able to enjoy it though. The entire time we were there, eating, talking, laughing, I could feel Soohyun glancing at me time and time again.

            I know I hurt him this morning, I know I did. . . Why couldn’t I just admit to him how I really feel?

Obviously because you became a nervous wreck, Hoon. I mentally kick myself for my mistake. I really hadn’t meant to hurt him by not being honest.

            Yeah, lies only hurt people, moron. When have they ever made someone happy?

“Hey,” Jaeseop’s voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah?” I reply.

“Are you feeling okay? You look . . . distracted . . .” In a quieter voice he adds, “Did something happen with Soohyun? He didn’t hurt you did he?” Anger striking AJ’s voice at the last sentence.

“No, of course not,” I answer. “I hurt him . . .” I sigh as we enter the arcade.

“What do y-”

“Hyung, let’s go play Dance Dance Revolution!” Dongho says to AJ as he grabs the older man’s arm trying to pull him to the game.

“Dongho, wait,” Jaeseop replies fighting Dongho’s tugging arms. “I’ll be there in a minute, I need to talk to Hoon real quick.”

“Oh . . . Alright,” Dongho answers looking a little disappointed. “But hurry okay?”

“I will,” AJ replies.

The others follow the maknae to the other side of the arcade. I catch Soohyun’s eye as he takes a glance back, I quickly look away feeling guilty.

“Okay, so what happened?” AJ asks leading me away from the entrance to some abandoned games. “All I know is that when I went to go to bed I see you and Soohyun sleeping together,” as he finished his sentence a look of realization crosses his face. “Wait a minute, did you two. . . ?” he asks not really finishing his thought.

“Did we what?” I ask, confused.

“. . . You know. . . do. . . things. . .” he whispers.

            What is he-

“Wait, do you mean did we-”I stop a bit embarrassed at what Jaeseop was insinuating. “No, no, no, of course not, Jaeseop!”

“Are you sure?” he asks, disbelief flickering in his eyes.

“Yes, I’m sure,” I answer.

“Then what’s wrong?”

“I upset Soohyun,” I reply.

“How? What exactly did you do?”

“He noticed that something was on my mind, he asked what was wrong and I lied to him. I really wanted to tell him how I feel but instead I told him it was nothing and obviously he knew it was a lie.”

AJ stood thoughtful for a moment.

“Why didn’t you just tell him?”

“I. . .” my gaze wanders over to the group. They’re watching as Dongho and Kiseop danced, hitting the steps with precision. “I was too nervous to tell him. It also doesn’t seem right for me to tell him how I feel if I don’t even know whether or not he’s interesting in guys.” I let out a distressed sigh.

“I see. . .” AJ murmurs thoughtfully. “I think you should just tell him. But if it makes you feel better maybe you should ask one of the guys if they know whether or not Soohyun would be interested,” AJ gives me a pat on the head. “Come on, quit thinking about it and have some fun.”

“Okay,” I sigh. “I’ll try.

I follow AJ as he heads towards the group.

“AJ hyung!” Dongho cheers. “You’re finally here! Come on, let’s play.”

“Dammit,” Eli complains. “I wanted to go next!”

“Alright, Eli, you can go against me after I destroy Dongho,” AJ says giving Dongho a challenging look.

“In your dreams. I’ll beat you, no problem!”

“Those two are far too competitive,” Kiseop mumbles next to me.

“They’re going to hurt each other one day,” Soohyun laughs from Kiseop’s right.

“Oh, right,” Kiseop murmurs. “Here are your share of tokens, Soohyun’s paying for the first round of games,” Kiseop gives me a handful of tokens from the pocket of his sweater.

“Cool,” I reply taking the tokens. “Thanks, Soohyun,” I smile at him hoping that he’d forgotten about this morning.

“No problem, Bunny,” he answers smiling back.

I feel my heart skip a beat upon seeing his warm smile. I look away willing my blush to go away.

My eyes wander around the arcade.

            What should I play first?

It was obvious now that Dongho and AJ weren’t going to be leaving the DDR game anytime soon. I had to find something else to do before I could have a turn. My gaze stops at one game in particular. My dangerous addiction, one that made me lose dollars at a time.

            . . . The claw machine. . .

I head towards it quickly before someone else decided to play it. I peer inside the glass to see that this machine was filled with cute little plush toys. Foxes, dogs, cats. . . and bunnies!

            I’ll get one for Soohyun!

I search for a bunny that would be easy to snag. My eyes catch sight of one near the back a; little white bunny with fluffy red-orange paws, beady eyes, and a tuft of red fur on its head. Its ears flop over the sides of it round head just behind its fluffy white cheeks. On its neck rested a nice red and gold bowtie, a little black vest was buttoned onto its torso.

            It’s perfect!

Eagerly, I insert tokens into the machine. The timer next to the joystick begins to count down. Carefully I maneuver the claw towards the back of the glass box. As soon as I see the claw at a decent spot over the bunny I press the red button on top of the joystick to lower the claw. It slips just behind the small plush.

            Damn, too far back.

The claw returns to its starting spot, empty. I insert more tokens to try again. Once more I move the claw towards the fluffy rodent. This time I’m careful not to move it too far back. I press the button again, lowering the claw. It lands square on the bunny.

            Yes!

The claw rises, the bunny in its grasp. It returns to its starting position releasing the plushie. I grab the little bunny from the prize chute, its fur softer than I thought it would be. It’s about seven inches tall, its ears flopping down about two-thirds of its height.

            Soohyun is going to love it!

An idea pops into my head.

            I should think of a clever way to give this to him. But how am I supposed to hide this from him for the rest of the day?

That could be a problem.

            Wait, Dongho and Eli brought backpacks; I could ask one of them if they can hide it for me. . .

Either of them would let me hide it in their bags, but what was worrying me was if they ask why I want to hide it.

            You can tell them, they wouldn’t say anything to Soohyun.

I place the bunny in my pocket, its fluffy tail sticking out. I head back towards the group. Kiseop is gone, Dongho and AJ were still playing, Soohyun watching. Eli and Kevin were a little way off talking to each other.

I walk towards them careful not to catch Soohyun’s attention.

“Hey, Hoon,” Eli greets as I approach them. “What’s up?” he asks.

“Hey, Eli,” I begin, suddenly nervous to ask. “I was wondering if you could keep this in your backpack for me,” I ask pulling the little bunny out of my pocket.

“Sure,” he answers taking off his backpack and ping it.

“Thanks,” I say gratefully. “Can you make sure Soohyun doesn’t see it? I want to give it to him later,” I tell him nervously.

I glance at Kevin then back at Eli, there seems to be a knowing look in their eyes as I place the bunny in Eli’s bag.

“Alright,” Eli agrees. “I’ll make sure he doesn’t see it.”

“Dammit, not again! You cheated, hyung!” The three of us look over at AJ and Dongho where the maknae was now beginning an argument with the other rapper.

“Wanna play again?” AJ asks teasingly.

“Maybe later,” Dongho grumbles stepping off of the platform.

“I’ll play, AJ!” Eli calls excitedly.

“Ha, I’ll beat you, too!” AJ boasts.

“We’ll see about that, AJ,” Eli retorts. “Hold this for me, will you Kev?” Eli says holding his backpack out to Kevin.

Kevin nods and takes the bag from Eli.

“Hey, Hoon!” AJ calls to me. “I’ll beat you next.”

“Yeah, sure you will, Jaeseop,” I reply disbelievingly.

----

A/N: Aw, Soohoon fluff~! I hope you guys enjoyed. Comment and subscribe for more fluffy bunny cuteness!