Acceptance Letter

Star*Dom: Dream of Idols

"Okay Amanda, you can head upstairs for the night. I'll clean up the rest and get started on dinner." Unnim said as Amanda took of her waitress apron and headed upstairs. After changing into sweat pants and a t-shirt, she started to think of her friends. "It felt pretty awkward when we said goodbye today..." she thought.

Earlier~

"Sorry for showing up unannounced! I'll text you later about the acceptance letter, okay?" Hye Rin said, holding Amanda's hands in an apologetic manner. "Okay, and I'll message you if I get anything before you!" Amanda said with a smile. Hye Rin turned around to glare at a sullen Soo Won. "Aren't you going to say goodbye? What kind of man are you?" she asked. Soo Won was to down to make fun of her, so he picked himself up and walked over. "See ya around." he said. Amanda smiled and gave him a hug, hoping that would change his mood. "Bye! You'll text me if when you get your letter, right?" she hoped that when she looked at him he would be back to his bashful self, but his face was still sad and gloomy. "Sure." was all he managed to say. Amanda let go of his shoulders and waved them goodbye as they left the cafe.

As soon as they were out of sight, Hye Rin ran up behing Soo Won and hit him over the head. "Ow!" Soo Won complained, rubbing the back of his head. "What was that for?!" he yelled. Hye RIn crossed her arms over her chest and laughed in disbelief. "Oh, so NOW you can talk like a normal person!" she yelled, hitting him again. "Does your pride hurt so much that you can't even pretend you still have it when talking to the girl you like?" Soo Won looked at the ground, not wanting to look Hye Rin in the eye. "You better hope you get accepted, so you can apologize to her on the first day of school." Hye Rin walked past Soo Won, and kept walking until he couldn't see her. Soo Won sighed as a white puff of air escaped his mouth. "I better get into that school." Soo Won thought to himself. "I have to!"

Present~

Amanda sighed as she lay on her bed, listening to music. She wondered what Takashi could have said to make Soo Won act so unlike himself. "Perhaps...is Takashi mean?" she thought. The memory of him catching her when she felt flashed into her mind and she shook her head. "No way! Takashi could never be mean!" just as she said that, she heard her text alert go off and she scrambled to see who it was.

Hye Rin: My acceptance letter came through my computer. I got in! Im sooo happy! Did you get your letter yet? If you didn't get in...I lied about being happy and I'm totally miserable right now. Seriously, I might go emo! You got in right?! Please >.

A message popped up on Amanda's laptop and she went to read it. It was from Yubin. Her heart pounded like a rabbits' as she carefully read each word. When she read "We are happy to inform..." She nearly jumped out of her chair. Unable to speak right away, she quickly texted Hye Rin that she got in and ran downstairs to give Unnim the good news. "Unnim, Unnim! I got in! They accepted me!" she yelled. Unnim jumped up from watching 'Good Doctor' on the couch and nearly spilled popcorn everywhere. "See! I told you they would accept you! I'm so proud of you!" Unnim said, hugging Amanda until she couldn't breathe. Amanda smiled with utter delight. "Thanks! Just hope my friends are the same way!"

 

Hye Rin rolled around on the floor of her bed room uncontrolably. "No Way No Way No Way, NO WAY!!!!" she yelled. She held up the pillow she had been clutching and kissed the picture of Jaejoong's face that she had taped to it. "Oppa! I did it!" she squealed happily. "Hye RIn! what are you doing up there?" her mother yelled from downstairs. "Oh right! I forgot to tell mom and dad..." Hye Rin hesitated. "They probably won't care." She thought. She looked at the picture of Jaejoong again and smiled. "Should I tell them anyway?" she asked, nodding the pillow up and down. "Of Course Hye Rin! Your parents would care the most!" she said in a male voice, trying to make it seem as if Jaejoong were talking to her. "Oppa, you're so smart!" she said as she got to her feet and walked downstairs. "Mom, Dad I-" Hye Rin was cut off by her father's hand. When she looked on the other side of the room and saw her older sister, Joo Young , holding her violin, she realized she had interrupted them. "Your sister was demonstrating the song she was going to play in the orchestra this saturday! Why must you be so loud?" he mother asked sternly. Hye Rin was taken aback for a moment, but she quickly apologized to her family. "Sorry." she said. "What is it?" asked her father.  Hye Rin pulled on the sleeves of her sweater and tried to keep her voice clear. "I-I got accepted into Yubin Academy for the Arts." she said with a tiny smile. "Yubin?" her mother asked. "Isn't that school for kids who want to be idols or whatever?" Hye Rin's smile disappeared. Her father took his glasses off and began to clean them with his handkerchief. "Yes..I've heard of Yubin." he said while cleaning the rims of his lenses. "JYP or something played there a week ago." "Its JYJ dad." Hye Rin corrected him. "Aren't they the same thing?" he asked without looking at her. Hye Rin's cheeks flared at the sound of her father's ignorance to her favorite group. She couldn't let such carelessness slide. "NO, they are NOT the same thing! JYJ is an idol group while JYP is a company that trains idols, such as the Wonder Girls, 2PM-" Hye Rin's mother stamped her foot hard on the floor and she stopped talking. "How dare you yell at your father like that!" she yelled. "Go to your room! I don't care what kind of trash you listen to, but don't allow your sister's brain to rot from it along with yours!" Hye Rin was speechless as she ran up the stairs. She shut the doors and jumped onto her bed, clutching her Jaejoong pillow. "Oppa...you were wrong. They didn't care at all!"

 

Soo Won walked into his parents' convienience store late at night and was greeted with a wack over the head with a broom stick. "Ow! Mom!" he yelled only to have his mother grab his cheek with her thin claw-like fingers. "Don't mom me! Where have you  been? Did you drink? Smoke? Have you been with any women-" Soo Won escaped his mom's grasp, left with a small scar on his cheek. "Of course not! What kind of man do you think your son is?!" he asked. His mother only shook her head and continued sweeping. "Your father came home before you tonight, so I was worried." Soo Won's bump on his head suddenly disappeared. "Oh...did he get home already?" he asked, pretending to count the snacks. His mother looked at him with sadness in her eyes. "You're not going to ignore him again are you?" she asked. Soo Won stopped staring at the snacks and looked back at his mother. "How can I speak to the person that tried to crush my dreams? All I said is that if I became a musician I could make money for us! But instead he burned the money I made through street performances. How can I look at my father the same way again? How can I even call him Dad?" he asked. Soo Won's mother didn't answer and continued sweeping. "I got the letter from that school. You got in." she said quietly. "Does dad know?" was all Soo Won could say while containing his excitement. "He knows, I just didn't tell him it was a music school." she said. Soo Won walked up to his mother and hugged her with all his might. "Thankyou mom." he said, heading upstairs to his room. "Soo Won.." his mother said. "Yes?" Soo Won turned around to see his mother holding out money to him. "NIce try. Take it back." she said. Soo  Won smiled deviously as he hurried up the stairs. Five minutes later her crept halfway back down the stairs to see his mom doing a happy little dance with her broom. "Aigoo! My son is so good!"

 

Takashi awoke to the sound of his computer and opened the message. " I got in. Yay." he said sleepily. He took his cellphone and texted his parents in Tokyo. They had let him come to Korea on his own, and even bought him a penthouse room to live in. Takashi moved his head out from under the covers and scanned the room. A flat screen tv, a night stand with a lamp, and a desk with his laptop and backpack off to the side. He would shop for his school uniform later. "This room is really huge." he thought, taking another look around. "its almost like a house...with just me here." Takashi took his phone out again and looked at an old picture of his family. He saw him, his mom, and his dad and gathered together like a family. But none of them were smiling. He flipped to another one, and still no one was smiling. "If I were to show this to other people...would they be able to tell we were a family?" he thought. He sighed deeply and took one last look at the photos before pulling the covers back over his head and drifting into a deep sleep.