Reversed Roles

Caged

 

Goodjob. I rubbed my hand against my right elbow and awkwardly looked away from the young-looking teacher, now standing in front of all his students. How is he a teacher? He looks…seems so young for his age. I was convinced that he was one of my classmates. I guess it mustn’t be so hard to be a Physical Education instructor…huh?

“Miss Hyun?” My instructor spoke. I gazed up quickly and nodded in response. Y-yes? “Would you like to help me demonstrate to the class what we will be doing today and the rest of the semester?” He smiled and with a gesture of his hand, showed the spot where he wanted me to stand. Gulp. He’s paying back for what I said to him earlier… isn’t he?

“Y-yes, sir.” I got up and pulled onto my red shorts. This shorts… are a bit too short for my taste. I kept my vision onto the gymnasium floor as I felt the piercing eyes of the girls slowly wishing to stab me from the back. Gulp. Women can be so scary. I should know, I am one of them… I placed myself where Eli—I mean, Mr. Kim guided me to.

“Face me, please.” Mr. Kim grinned. I nodded and shifted my body to have a full view of my instructor. Gulp. Dark jogging pants. White tank top that caressed his built chest. His dark hair as dark as night, covered his eyes, his slender fingers pushed the strand hairs away which boasted his staggering eyes. No…no wonder most girls go after him. Tsk! ______, you could do better. “Here. Put this on.”

“H..huh?” Mr. Kim threw a white garment and a white cloth that I assume to be a belt. I stared back at him in confusion as both garments laid lifelessly on both of my hands. Erm.. I slipped my arms into its sleeves and wrapped the belt around my waist, tying it a bit too tight, causing myself to gasp a bit of the musky, heated air of the gymnasium. Ee..w. T-this attire. It’s… it’s…

“Class! Starting today, until the end of the semester, you will all learn what Korea is specialized for. A special art of combat, technique; known as the way of the hand and foot.” Eli took a strong pause and crossed his arms, closing eyes. “Do you… by any chance, Miss Hyun, know what this art is called? May you tell the class? By the gleam of your eyes, you seem like an intellectual student. Do you know what it is?” He uncrossed his arms and stared back at me… with an expression as if he’s testing me! I blew away my fringe and placed my hands roughly of my hips.

“Neh. I do.” I replied confidently. I’ve seen so many combat magazines… that my cousins used to read whenever they came over. It’s weird, I’m the only girl, amongst all cousins. Always surrounded by boys, yet, I’m so awkward and uncomfortable when in contact with the opposite . “This type of martial arts like you said, Mr. Kim, originates in Korea. It is the way of the hand and foot. It combines the special techniques of self-defense, sport, and exercise and in other cases: meditation. This is known as…. Tae Kwon Do.” I lifted my glasses and smiled proudly.

“What a nerd. What a loser.” I heard some girls snicker. Guh… The stinging pain of mockery lurks through my mind.

“I’m impressed, Miss.Hyun. ______, is it?” The young instructor raised an eyebrow and approached me with two intimidating steps and paused with a stance. A fighting stance. W-what is he doing? I moved back a step and stared at him in panic. “Since… since you know so much about this, historically and theoretically, can you use it in practice?”

“H-huh?” I asked, confused. What… what was he planning to do?

He smiled mischievously and lunged quickly towards me. W-what is he doing? His fists lunged towards the sides of my face as I dodged them accordingly. “Y-Yah!” I yelled. But he kept going. The snickers and cheering came from the crowd of students. Panicking, I fell back and landed on my . Aish! Laughter arose within the gymnasium and rung in the depths of my ears. Obviously, this is funny. All they want is a good laugh. All they want… was suffering. Someone’s suffering. Vulnerable. Insecure. All the wrds, describing… me.

“That, ladies and gentleman. Is something you must not do during combat. Run. You supposed to have a feel of self-defense. Defend yourself, Miss Hyun. You can’t keep running.” He stared back at me and shook his head. “Considering this is your first class and attempt, it was exactly what I expected not only from you but from the rest of you. Take Miss Hyun’s demonstration and take it as an example of what you shall NOT do. Thank you for volunteering, ____. You may sit back down.” This guy...

I clenched my fists and felt the anger rose up my spine. What kind of man does this to a girl? I don’t care if this is for a demonstration or anything! How… how dare you do this to a lady! I took a step forward approaching my instructor and earned a puzzled expression from him. “Hm?” He hummed, crossing his arms.

“Babo…” I whispered roughly.

“Pardon, me?” Mr. Kim asked sternly. “What did you just call me, ______ Hyun?” He crossed his arms and glared back at me.

“You heard me.” I snapped. As much as I hate people bullying me, I will not tolerate these kinds of actions. What kind of instructor does this to his students?! If it was a student that done this to me… I wouldn’t care. I would probably run and hide. But an instructor? If… you can’t trust anybody, then… then… who can we trust!? “I called you a b-a-b-o!” I lunged towards him and grabbed his tank top, pulling him down to my height. “I’m not a wuss. I… I will not be pushed around so easily. Especially to your kind! My...My father will not tolerate this!”

“Kind?” Mr. Kim growled. “What kind is that, Miss Hyun? And as long as we are rest assured, I do not care where you come from. Nor, will I give you ‘special’ treatment just because you’re some rich child. I treat my students the same. I can be strict, this is how I teach and will remain this way, ____ Hyun. Now, can you be so kindly to let go of me and head to the principal’s office?”

“M-mwoh!?” I yelled in his face. His hand snatched my hand as his leg moved across my legs, tripping me onto the floor. He pinned my arm against my chest as he crouched over my head, his face right in front of mine. Gulp. My back against the cold surface of the gym’s floor.

“So, again. My kind? What kind of person do you think I am…. _____? I’ll tell you what kind of person I am. The one who will not stand to be pushed around and will not run away. Do you know…what kind that is? I suggest you stop acting like some high-sophisticated woman, and act like a normal student.” I… I didn’t even try to show such a side. I… he’s the one who put me in this kind of situation! Hae…Hae Ra. Her laugh. All of their laughter. It’s all  the same. The same. It’ll never go away. I wish… I wish..

“I wish I wasn’t. I didn’t want to be like this you know! I didn’t ask for this life!” I yelled, tears forming. “I…”

“She’s just trying to be ‘normal’. As if she can be. She just thinks she’s some high-leveled girl just because her own little daddy is a CEO. Daddy’s little girl. More like… loser.” I heard Hae Ra whisper. My clenched fist that clutched onto Eli’s tank top weakened.

“It will never go away..” I whispered, only having Mr. Kim hear what I said. He stared back, wide-eyed and he asked: What?

“The laughter. The fear. Being the person I’m not.” I whispered, staring directly into his eyes. Roughly, I pushed his chest and got up. I walked out of the gymnasium as if nothing happened. I don’t even care. The bullying won’t stop, no matter how many times I changed schools. Then… if I can’t stop being bullied? What happens if I change the role a bit?

Maybe it’s time… I clenched my fists. Pay back. What would happen... if the ‘bullied’ became the ‘bully’? I will not be pushed around. I wiped my tears and kicked the gymnasium’s door open, causing all of them to gasp. It’s not too late to change my reputation…

Little did I know… I would become someone that is far distant from whom I truly am. The pain changes a person. What…

What have I become?