Blossoms and Rain

Caged

 

    I studied hard every day. I’d stay at the library after school from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. I would also walk by the lake and read a history book. I’ve become the girl that I was back at home. That studious girl my parents wanted me to be. Soon, I had the title as the “nerd with glasses”, no longer the “” or the “queenka”.  There were obviously days where girls would give me the evil eye but fewer and fewer girls done that. Mr.Kim was right. They would eventually realize. I haven’t made much friends only some, a few, but that was only for group projects or group presentations. I’d rather be alone. It’s always been my thing. I guess. Especially, here in Seoul.

I still had gym class. Mr. Kim is still my gym teacher and we’d just pass on a smile to one another occasionally, but rarely spoken like before. I guess I was no longer his favorite student. It didn’t really shock me, I mean, students come and go. I guess I was just the student he pitied and felt he had the responsibility to bring me through all the tragedy that was occurring in that time. No one came on to me as ‘interesting’. Everyone seemed the same. Until, that new student…

“Everybody, I want you to meet Jonghyun. He came from Jeju and will be attending this school from now on. Please greet him.” Mr. Kim smiled.

“Please. Call me JR.” (As you can see, I’m a big fan of NUEST. Haha. Okay, back to the story.)

The new boy was just going to be another guy that all girls are going to go crazy over. The one who every girl will ‘ahh’ and ‘ooh’. In my opinion, he just seems like some ordinary guy. He is good-looking but… I don’t know. I looked towards my right and stared the rest of the class who I distanced myself from. Girls whispered and wondered where the new boy was going to sit. And. Well. I watched in shock as he sat a few seats on my left, distancing himself from the rest of the class as well. Girls pouted and whispered in disappointment. In the corner of my eye, I observed his appearance. Dark brown hair, his bangs covered his right eye. Milky-white skin. Dark brown almond eyes. Not too skinny, not too muscular. Fit. He seemed smart especially with his frames. Suddenly, he turned towards me. I looked away and paid attention to Mr. Kim as he explained what we’ll be doing in class.

“All these will be done in teams of two. You will each go to each station and do the according work-out. Alright, get started.” Mr. Kim smiled. Part-partner?

A hand reached out. I looked up and the new kid smiled brightly. I got up without shaking his hand and asked him:

“You want to be partners?”

He nodded and then asked for my name.

“O-oh. My name is _____.” Suddenly, I felt heat press against my cheeks. He’s just an ordinary guy, ______. Stop it. I felt someone stare. I looked where it came from and watched Mr. Kim watch from afar. Mr. Kim gestured to become partners with the new kid. But… I’d rather do this on my own. Unexpectedly, I followed JR to one of the stations. And well. A friendship bloomed.

***

A few months later…

“_____-ah!” JR came running down the hallway and leaned against my locker. I smiled at him and raised an eyebrow. This guy. “I got 89% on my essay.” I congratulated him and he comically bowed. I rolled my eyes and closed my locker.

Ever since, we became friends. Not many girls seem to bother me anymore. Thank goodness. He was like… my savior. I stared at JR as we walked to the door until we reached the lake. Our usual spot. I swung my legs back and forth as we sat on the bench. We always come here for lunch.

“E-excuse me.” A familiar female voice arose. Nothing new here. JR looked up and watched the girl approach him with a pink envelope. That girl… Seoyu. The one who once threatened me with scissors. Hm.  “P-please accept this letter, Jonghyun-oopa.” JR bowed and just took the letter. Seoyu rushed off to her friends and blushed furiously.

“Another letter, huh?” I watched him open the letter. He nodded and smirked:

“Jealous?”

“Dream on, lover boy.” I laughed back. I remember the first time I told him who my father was. And his response was: “who’s that?” “Company? Lahriessay? Never heard of it.” I remember laughing and seeing a confused look on his face. Finally, someone who doesn’t care of my background and just accepted me for… me. If this is really me that is. He knows I’m struggling. He knows about my family and the pressured on me. What I like about him is the fact he tries to get me to become the true ‘me’.

“What are you pondering about, bud?” He asked, while reading the letter.

“Nothing. Just reminiscing.” I smiled. My smile faded. “Another love letter?” He nodded and passed the letter on to me.

“She wants me to go to prom with her.” JR explained.

“Like every girl.” I retorted.

“Including you?” JR teased.

“Dream on, lover boy.” I repeated. He laughed and leaned against the trunk of the oak tree. I tried my best not to fall for him. I promised not to and forever have him as my best friend. I smiled and stared at my close buddy. I wonder what my parents would think if they met him.

“Still pondering~” He noticed. I slapped his arm and heard the school bell warn us that class was to start in less than 15 minutes.

***

I walked by the gym and looked through the glass. Mr. Kim. Mr. Kim jumped from place to place around the punching bag and landed strong blows to it. Sweat glistened and his mouth opened often to get fresh new hair into his exhausted lungs. We haven’t spoken. It’s normal. I mean… he is my teacher.

“_____?” I turned around and stared at JR who peeked through the window as well. He raised an eyebrow and look back at me curiously.

“Staring at Mr.Kim?” He asked awkwardly. I looked away and just mumbled:

“W-Well. I told you what he’s done for me. I just came across the gym and heard some sounds. And it was just Mr. Kim exercising.” I patted JR’s chest and asked if he was going to walk home with me. He shook his head and said he needed to stay for a meeting. Right. He got voted to become the school president. He was… considered a kingka, despite the fact that he hangs out with me all the time.

“Do.. Do you like Mr. Kim?” I looked at him in shock and punched his chest. JR cringed and laughed. “I’m joking.”

“You idiot. He’s a teacher. Besides, he seems like a player.” I growled.

“Player, huh?” JR laughed. “You seem to admire him.”

“Well, he did protect me. He did a lot for me.” I tried to explain but JR was so convinced that I had a soft spot for Mr. Kim. Sheesh. This person. JR looked at me with eyes I couldn’t explain. “W-what?”

“Nothing. You’re just beautiful, that’s all.” I blushed and turned away.

“Flirt.” I growled. JR smiled brightly and patted my head.

”I better go. Take care. I’ll text you later.” JR waved goodbye.

I looked back into the gym window to have another glimpse of my teacher. But he was no longer there. I gasped in shock and thought… What if he heard me? I scratched my head and shook my head violently. I better head home.

***

I waited by the sidewalk and constantly stared at my watch. Jaehyoon is so late… Vibe. Vibee. I my phone and I got a text from Jaehyoon:

“_____-ah. I’m so sorry. Could you take the public transit just for today? There is a family emergency. I’ll repay you by cooking your favorite foods tonight. I’m so sorry!” I texted back with understanding and head over to the other side of the road. I stayed under the bus stop and waited patiently. Suddenly, a down pour of rain flushed the streets.

G-great! It was sunny now… it’s just pouring. I looked at my uniform and stared at the soaking wet cloth. I’m going to catch a cold. I stood on my tippy-toes, hoping to see if the bus is coming any time soon. But no. A-achhoo!  I covered my mouth and felt my throat get groggy. Come on.. Come on… Then it suddenly stopped. A shadow was upon my body. I looked over and stared at Mr. Kim beside me with an umbrella over my head.

“M-Mr. Kim.” I murmured. Mr. Kim looked over with a smile. “Don’t you have a car? W-what are you doing?”

“You didn’t bring an umbrella?” He asked.

“Well. It didn’t seem like it’ll rain. It was so sunny earlier.” I mumbled. “And you didn’t answer my question.”

“Car broke down yesterday.” He answered shortly. Oh. “So, you and JR are close.”

I nodded and crossed my arms. It’s so weird, talking to him like this. He is my teacher after all. Isn’t this considered inappropriate to be… this nice to someone? Especially, to your student?

“Yeah. I guess.”

“Has he asked you out?” He asked.

“What?” I asked in shock.

“I mean… you can tell just by the way he looks at you.” He whispered.

“Jealous?” I asked playfully, taking JR’s line. Mr. Kim looked at me in confusion and a sudden smirk arose on his face.

“Wouldn’t it be inappropriate for a teacher to be jealous of his/her student’s relationships?” He asked. Exactly, what I’ve been saying.

“Yeah. It would be.” I crossed my arms and could not wait for the bus to arrive. It was getting a bit too awkward.

After a few minutes, the bus arrived. Both, Mr. Kim and I walked in the door at the same time, causing for both of us to bump into one another. Mr. Kim grabbed my arm and pulled me. My back pressed against his chest. I felt my heart skip a beat. Gulp. I looked at him and pulled away. Mr. Kim coughed awkwardly and smiled awkwardly at the bus driver. Mr. Kim looked at me and said awkwardly:

“A-after you.”

I nodded and walked in the bus. Only two seats available. Side by Side. I sat down on the seat closest to the window. And beside me… Mr. Kim sat.

This is going to be a weird ride….