Too Bad

Caged

 

Day by day, I distanced myself with Hae Ra and her crew. But I felt the hatred she had for me for being the reason why Kibum got expelled. I would be lying if I said I was not terrified. I knew what Hae Ra was capable of. I knew what she did and what she could do. Even though, I have distanced myself, I still smile at her as we pass each other and she would smile back. That gave me hope of the fact that there were no hard feelings. Relief. My hair started to grow back, it was  now just touching my shoulder. Although, I miss my long hair. I still wore makeup, just not as heavy as before. I didn’t want to show Hae Ra that I was completely fooling her with my ‘disguise’into trying to be a ‘bully’ a ‘Queenka’.

Despite the change of group, many people still despised me for my other actions. They despise me and they still think of me as one of Hae Ra’s assailants. I don’t blame them. It’s my fault. I went down the wrong path, and I have done bad things. It’s a new semester. I am willing to be myself. But what am I really? I stared at my bathroom mirror and sighed.

“Miss Hyun?” I heard my butler call my name. I hummed in response. “Shall we head to school soon? It’s almost 8am.” My hand traced the mirrored image and I replied:

“I’ll be out in a sec, Jaehyoon. You could go ahead and start the car.” I remained immobile until I heard his footsteps disappear. I don’t feel like going to school. I changed into my uniform and placed all the buttons orderly.

I met up with Jaehyoon in the car and sat the way I always do: thighs shut together and both hands resting on my knees. Be yourself… Just be you. I inhaled and exhaled. “You may drive.” I ordered my butler. My phone started to vibe. I stared at the sleek screen and noticed the writing:

“Mom and Dad”

Oh shoot. I grabbed my hair or at least what was left of it. I know what they were going to ask once they see me. What happened to your long hair, they would ask. That’s too much makeup! Mother would say. Oh boy… With a trembling finger, I pressed on ‘Accept the video call.’ Quickly, before my parents saw, Jaehyoon tossed a cap. I pulled it onto my head and stared at my parents who finally noticed that I have accepted the call.

“Mah! Pah!” I smiled awkwardly.

“Well, if it isn’t our beautiful daughter. How have you been, darling? Are they treating you well? How’s the money? Are we sending enough money? Are you studying hard? No boyfriends? Right? I hope you don’t have a boyfr—“

“MAH!” I snarled annoyingly. “You’re asking so much questions, how am I supposed to answer you? And no boyfri—“

“You’re wearing makeup!” My father noticed. Comically, he grabbed the phone and placed the camera in full view of his face. I laughed and called him a babo in my mind. “Haha. Why are you wearing make-up dear? You don’t need that. You have a naturally beautiful face. You just use that for occasions… unless...”

Both father and mother stared at each other and back at towards me. “You’re going on a DATE?” My mother asked in shock. My father’s face became beet red and I knew the thought of a man holding his little daughter within his arms, angered and frustrated him. Oh, mah… Oh, Pah. I miss you guys. They bickered back and forth. I felt the tears form on the rims of my eyes.

“What’s the matter, darling? My mother asked, silencing her bickering husband. I shook my head and confessed how much I missed them and the house. My mother smiled sadly and replied:

“I miss you too, darling… Are they treating you well?”

Hae Ra… Mr.Kim… Kibum… I hate it here.

“Yes. They are. I’m… I’m fine.” I lied. I couldn’t let them down. I stared at the front and met with Jaehyoon’s eyes on the driver’s mirror. I looked back down to my phone and smiled at my parents.

“We better go, darling. Your aunt Lily is having another banquet for charity. Isn’t that sweet? Be good, alright? We’ll call you again soon.” They waved goodbye and I pressed the ‘End’. Huh? I stared at the water spots on my phone screen. Is…is it leaking in here? I touched my cheek and felt a wet streak. I miss them. I miss home.  I leaned my head against the window and dreaded school.

***

“Miss Hyun?” Jaehyoon called out from the car window. I turned around with my bag, hanging from my arm.

“Yes?” I asked.

“If there’s anything bothering you, you may tell me anything. Your parents hired me to be your butler… but I am also your friend.” Jaehyoon tried to comfort me. Suddenly, Jaehyoon got out of the car and handed a handkerchief.

“T-Thank you.” I smiled. Jaehyoon took his hat off his head and bowed. We said our goodbyes and he drove off.

“Boyfriend?”

I looked to the side and watched Mr.Kim walk down the sidewalk. He looked sleek as ever. I don’t blame the girls that are drooling all over him. He’s… he’s pretty good-looking. He was wearing a white polo and black dress pants. His polo was ed by one button, exposing his chiseled chest by only a bit. I shook my head and explained:

“Butler. My parents hired him to look after me. He’s like a brother to me. So, nope. Not my boyfriend.”

Mr. Kim raised an eyebrow and stared back at me. “Worried” was written all over his flawless face. I stared back at him weirdly.

“Uhm.. Mr. Kim? Is something the matter?”

“A butler… a grown man living with a teenage girl by herself? That’s… kind of od—“

I interrupted him with a glare and a snarling cough. I told him off, and I explained how everything was platonic and that he should just…

“… Mind your own business!” I growled. I stomped my way to the entrance of the school, and heard someone take quick steps. I looked and watched Mr.Kim walk right beside me. I chose to ignore his presence and walked straight to my locker.

“You shouldn’t speak to your teacher like that.” I looked and stared at Mr. Kim who was leaning against the locker beside mine. This guy is like some teenager. What’s up with him? I rolled my eyes and took my books for Chemistry class. Whatever, I told him. Suddenly, a rush of guilt swept over me. He was the one who protected me from Kibum… I shouldn’t be this disrespectful to him.

“I’m sorry. I.. I shouldn’t be this disrespectful to you after all you have done. I.. I’m just not feeling so well today.” I closed my locker and faced my teacher. Mr. Kim pulled his gym bag over his shoulder, and he gave a bright smile.

“It’s fine. Anyways, I better head to my class.”

“Mr. Kim.” I stopped him from walking any further. He turned around and waited for me to continue.

“Why would a teacher take so much time with a student? Don’t you find this kind of odd? Your asking me if that was my boyfriend. Your hanging around my locker. Wouldn’t that strike as odd to other teachers and… to students as well?” I diverted my gaze away from him and looked away. I heard his footsteps come closer. A warm hand landed on my head. I stared back at the hand’s owner.

“If they find it odd, then so be it. Can I not be friends with my students?” He grinned.

“Well… it’s not that…”

“You changed your group of friends, I noticed.” He changed the subject. I nodded and told him that I realized they weren’t the right group to be with. It was all thanks to him. Although… I still can’t find myself. I still feel trapped somehow. “It’s not me that changed your mind. It was you all along. You just needed some pushing to realize that.”

I nodded and gave him a smile as thanks. He said goodbye and headed to his gym class. But once again, he stopped halfway and turned towards me. He pulled his hands out of his pocket and adjusted his bag once more.

“And. About that question you asked, about why I seem to take my time with you… It’s because: you’re my favorite student.” He waved and exited through the gym door.

Favorite student? Pft. I never expected that he was such a player. I flipped my hair and headed to Chemistry class.

***

I walked out of class and heard the constant snickering. I know for sure that they were talking about me. I’m absolutely positive. One of the girls stopped me and smiled. “_____?” I looked at her and nodded. Then suddenly, I felt a sting on my cheek. My trembling hand touched my abused cheek and I looked back at the girl.

“.” She snickered. She walked away as the other people around me looked and stared, not knowing what to do. Some laughed. Some gasped. Some felt bad. I could tell by their faces. Some knew I changed. Some knew I did that because I was scared. But they all knew I shouldn’t have stooped that low and become a bully just to protect myself. They all knew I was selfish. I was selfish. I picked up my books slowly and walked back to my locker, as if nothing happened. I won’t let them phase me. I won’t let them get the best of me. I have to be the girl that my parents want. That’s who I am. The daughter of the CEO of Lahriesay. The fashion magazine company and designer’s cooperation. I must live up to its name. I exhaled and put all my books into my bag. I lifted my wrist and counted the seconds until the school bell rang.

“Finally. Time to go home.”

I was met with a wall of girls with their hands on their hips. All the girls. Each one of them I bullied while I was with Hae Ra. I deserve it. I walked towards them and two girls stopped me from continuing.

“Now. Since you got a bit of your medicine with Kibum, you think you could just walk around as if you did nothing, ? You think that could just forget everything? You think we’ll pity you?” The blond girl snickered. I shook my head. “What? What was that?”

“No. I’m sorry.” I said, monotone.

“You heard that girls? She’s sorry. Well, guess what?’ She jabbed her finger onto my shoulder blade, causing me to take a back step. But I showed no emotion of pain. I deserve this. “You won’t be forgiven. Sorry isn’t enough. You humiliated us. Now, it’s time for you to pay the price.”

I blinked and swallowed. I am scared. But I deserve this. I looked at the girl in the eye and she had a pair of scissors in her hands.

“Picture day is coming up. Want to look like a boy?” My eyes widened and I stared at the pair of scissors.

“Seoyu, isn’t this a bit too far?” One of the girls fret. She looked at me and she pitied me. Why? I burned your homework and exposed your texts. Why are you trying to protect me?

“A bit too far?” Seoyu snarled. “She’s the one who went too far. She’s the who ed up your lives.”

“That’s because Hae Ra was controlling her. Look at her. She stopped. She has no friends. Just let her be. She’s already got nothing.” The shortest one pleaded. “I hate her too. But… we’re going to be just as bad as her and Hae Ra if we do this.”

“Nothing? She’s the richest girl here. She doesn’t deserve that kind of living. In fact, she deserves not to even live. What kind of being is she?”

I grabbed her hand and stared at her straight in the eyes. “Then just do it. Cut my hair. Make me look like a boy. You’re right. I did nothing right. I hurt all of you. There’s no excuse. You heard her. I was scared of Hae Ra. But that’s no excuse. You think just because I’m the daughter of a CEO, that I’m a happy girl? You’re wrong. Cut my hair. Go ahead.” I pulled the girl towards me. “Do you worst. You will be as bad as I am. Go. If that satisfies you, I’ll be more than pleasured to get on my knees for you to do whatever you want with m—“

“You ignorant little—“

“STOP!” I heard Mr.Kim’s booming voice. “What has gotten into you girls? All of you go home. Now. Or I’ll send each one of you to the principal’s office. And he is not happy. He will give you a real lecture and punishment. Leave. Now.”

Each one of them filed out of the school. Most of the girls apologized and felt awful. But the other girls snickered and cursed me in their minds. I was still on my knees and did not move.

“______. What are you doing?” Mr. Kim stood in front of me. He kneeled down and lifted my chin. “Hey. What are you trying to do? Prove a point? Atoning your sins? Causing you pain, humiliation? You think after they do ‘whatever you want them to you’, they would forgive you?”

No…

“You think they will get on with their lives. They’ll go after you again. They’ll hurt you. This is a different world now. It isn’t any of those happy-go-lucky dramas or fanfictions. ______. You think you could gain friends after that show.”

“NO!”I yelled at his face and stood up. I held my arms and did not look at his face. “No. I don’t expect their compassion or their acceptance.”

“Is this your way of finding out who you really are?”

“No. I just… I just thought… I deserved it. After what I have done to them.” I looked up at my teacher and smiled softly. “I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess… I just thought… if they got even, I would feel better. But some of them didn’t want to lift a finger on me. I don’t understand why.”

“They don’t want to become the bully. They know how it feels to be the victim.” He explained.

“And that’s my fault.” I murmured.

Mr. Kim stayed silent and sighed. “Do not let people hurt you or else they’ll think of you as weak. They will keep hurting you if you give them the satisfaction. Just don’t do this anymore. Don’t be Hae Ra. They will slowly… they won’t be your closest of friends. But they will eventually believe that you have changed.”

I nodded and wiped the upcoming tear. Oh. The handkerchief. I grabbed the handkerchief. Before I could wipe my face, Mr. Kim grabbed my hand. I looked at him, startled. He grabbed the handkerchief and replaced it with a blue one.

“I already have one. I don’t need this one.” I whispered.

“It’s dirty. You already used the other one this morning.” He said.

How did he know? I thought I covered up my tears this morning in the car. I used the mirror and everything. Ho…How?  I looked at him and thanked him again. He seems to be always around when I’m in trouble.

“I’ll wash it... And give it back to you tomorrow.” I kept my gaze on his shoes.

“No, keep it. It’s my gift to my favorite student.”

“Favorite student, huh? You’re a weird teacher.” I joked.

“You’re a weird girl.” He fired back playfully. “Now, remember what I said. Alright?”

I nodded and clenched onto his handkerchief.

“Come on. We should both head home.”

“Y-Yeah!”

We both walked side by side until we separated. I went into the black Mercedes that Jaehyoon picked me up in and he walked to the teacher’s parking lot.

“Who’s that, Miss Hyun? Boyfriend?” Jaehyoon winked. I laughed. What’s with these boyfriend assumptions?

“No. He’s my teacher.” I laughed. Jaehyoon looked at me shockingly.

“Teacher? He looks like a student. He looks so young.”

I agreed. He does look like a student. But, nope. He’s my teacher. What a shame… huh!? What? What are you saying, ____!? I shook my head and covered my face.

“Miss Hyun?” I heard Jaehyoon’s worried voice.

“Nothing, nothing. Haha.”

“Miss Hyun. Your parents want you to call once you get home… apparently, it’s very important.”

“I see… Thank you. Let’s head home!” I smiled and looked out the window. Mr. Kim’s car passed. I held onto the handkerchief and smiled.

Mr. Kim. If only you were my classmate, instead of my teacher. Hm.

Author's Note:

I just wanted to apologize for such late updates. I've been busy cause of school and some personal reasons. Here's a chapter of Caged Bird. I hope you enjoy it! I'll be trying to update Dark Moon as well tonight and maybe another of Luminous. So , yeah. Busy,busybusy! Anyways, back to work. Take care, my stars! Comment, and don't forget to vote~ (: