Selcas

Caged

Today, your parents gave you the half-day off since you had a date today at lunchtime. You had an exam in the morning, but something was lingering in your mind ever since last night. You looked at your reflection in the car window, and noticed the dark bags under your eyes. I barely slept. Last night… Jonghyun.  It can’t just be a coincidence, you thought to yourself as you walked into the large school. You found yourself eyeing J.R’s locker. I wonder where he is. Then, in the corner of your eye, you saw someone sprint to the opposite hall.

“What the..?” You walked over to the other hall, and there was no one. “J.R, if that’s you, I swear I will find you.” You muttered.

“Did something happen?” You jumped at your teacher’s voice, and you turned around, facing Mr. Kim. You shook your head, and just kept walking. But he just follows… You growl in your mind. “Ignoring me now?” Mr. Kim asked amusingly as he kept walking beside me. I just let out a light laugh, and kept quiet. Where the heck is J.R? You wondered. “Hey.” You felt your teacher grab your shoulder; making you turn around to face him. You sighed in annoyance, and stared at your gym teacher lazily.

“What is it, Mr. Kim?” You hugged your books tighter. “I’m going to be late for my Chemistry class if I don’t walk.” Mr. Kim scoffed, and pointed out how my Chemistry class was located at the opposite direction. You let out a distinct ‘Oh’ and sighed.

“Are you looking for J.R?” He asked you. You just nodded shyly, before you could walk away, Mr. Kim grabbed your wrist. You stared at his hand gripping your wrist, and you tried pulling away.

“Let go of me please.” You growled at your gym teacher. “I… I’m guessing you’re wondering why I’m looking for J.R then heading to class, is that it?”

Mr. Kim just smiled, and nodded. You sighed.

***

“Thanks.” You grabbed the can of soda from Mr. Kim’s hand, and watched the leaves whirl with the wind on the football field. You squirmed on your seat. This was the first time, you really sat on the bleachers. “Beautiful day.” You tried to make small conversation with your gym teacher. From the corner of your eye, you stared at your teacher for a response. He just nodded and sipped on his can.

“So, are we just going to stay and drink our sodas, or are we going to talk about why you’re looking for J.R, and the possibility of him utterly ignoring you?” He sat closer, and half-smiled. You crossed your legs, and faced your teacher, as you explain the whole date incident, and how it might be J.R who was your date. He kept nodding, listening, not interrupting. Once you finished with your rant and story, Mr. Kim grasped the soda can from your hands, and placed it away from the both of us. He sat closer, face-to-face, and said:

“Maybe he’s hiding something.”

“Hiding something?” You asked as you backed away slowly. He was a bit… too close to you. You felt… uncomfortable. I feel as if he could hear my heart pound. Faster, stronger. That was the last thing you wanted Mr. Kim to hear. “What would he be hiding though?”

“Has he ever told you about his family? His background? Any girlfriends? Any love interests? Anything?” He approached you. Come to think of it, you barely knew J.R. A quivering sigh left your lips not only because of that realization, but the fact that your gym teacher was so close. You felt the warm sensation of his skin. His knees touched yours, and your cheeks started to go numb as it heated up. A furious red on the apples of your cheeks.

“N-No. Come to think of it, it seems as if I barely know my best friend.” You fiddled with your fingers, hoping it could help you ignore the fact that his skin was in contact with yours. Get a hold of yourself! You yelled in your mind. “I don’t know what to do.”

You felt heavy hands on your shoulders. You looked up at your gym teacher, only to have him staring at you straight into your eyes. Your very core started to throb and scream, your lungs begged for air, as you tried to hold your breath. His dark almond eyes stared intently into your own. His lips beckoned to be kissed, but it feels so wrong to think that way. Your eyes diverted back to the football field, and you kept it there. No need to get carried away with whatever was happening. “Go to your date. It’s almost lunchtime. Talk to him.” You kept nodding, and you stood up abruptly, leaving the dumb-founded teacher on the bleacher.

“Thank you, Mr. Kim. I’ll leave now, thanks for the sodas.” Before you could go and rush away, a strong grip was put upon your left wrist.

“Don’t worry too much, alright?” He smiled. You smiled back shyly, and nodded.

***

The silverware on the table reflected the lights of the candles all around the room. The scent of fresh firewood doused you with hunger, and the sounds of the violins always seem to make you sleepy. It’s already been 10 minutes since the time of the rendezvous. Was J.R not going to show up like last time? Will he just leave me here… knowing that I know he’s my date? Will he just leave his best friend hanging? You shook your head from those crazy thoughts, and placed the napkin on your lap. Where are you? You grabbed your phone, and tried giving him a call. Voicemail. Of course.

Just a little longer… You thought to yourself. Couples came and go, having their appetizer, their main meal, then their dessert. Some would look over my table, wondering what I was waiting for. I always shrugged the waiter away. Seconds, minutes, 2 hours has passed. And yet, here I am, leaving my hope in my best friend, only to having it crushed harshly. I knew it.  You thought to yourself. He just… isn’t going to show. I guess… I’m not the kind of girl, any guy would want, right? A heavy sigh left your lips. Your chest felt heavy and your eyes droopy. Soon, you found yourself drinking not one, not two, but five cups of red wine. You left a large tip, leaving the restaurant alone.

You waddled down the sidewalk in the middle of the day. You had your bag in one hand, and the red wine bottle in the other. Ha..ha. I look like some drunk. Hiccup. Hiccup. Hiccup. Dammit. You thought to yourself. People stared, you hissed them. People laughed, you laughed along too. You didn’t care, you just wanted to go home, and rest. The bright sky was now dimmed, and covered by dark grey clouds. Your dress got ruined by the raging rain, your neat hair was not so neat anymore.

“______!” You heard your name called by a familiar voice. You shook your head, and ran down the dark alley. “You idiot! Wait!”

“No!” You screamed out loud as you felt two arms around your waist, lifting you onto the person’s firm chest. “Let go of me, you ert!” You screamed, scratched, and kicked. The rain poured, and the man’s grip was too strong for you to handle. As the red wine got to your head, you couldn’t put all your strength into resisting, but your arms felt limp, your whole body gave out. I shouldn’t have drank this much…You told yourself. “I drank too much…” You giggled into the man’s arms.

“Idiot.”

***

Mr. Kim’s POV

“Idiot.” I growled angrily as I held the helpless little girl in my arms. “Give me the bottle. Give it to me now!” I pulled the red wine bottle away from her fragile hands, and threw it in the nearest garbage can. She fell silent, no longer speaking. She must have passed out. I’m guessing Jonghyun didn’t make it. Tired from jogging, I crouched down as I still had her in my arms. I looked at her face, and couldn’t help but stifle a laugh.

The rain washed away her makeup, but honestly, she couldn’t be any prettier. Her hair was tangled, and soaked. Her blue dress, damp. Poor girl. I lifted her up, and decided to walk over the nearest inn until she gets sober. I don’t think she would want to go home all drunk.

I looked back to her face while walking down the damp sidewalk, and felt weird. Something about her, just… bothers me. Why does she try so hard to please her parents? Once we entered the room, I placed her down slowly on the bed. I better leave, if someone spots me here with my student, I’m done for. I pulled the strands of hair away from her face, and smiled. I flipped open her phone, and felt my heart skip. Is… that..? I shook my head shyly, and called her butler.

“Jaehyoon? Can you pick up _____? Long story. Just come over to Seoul Inn.” I ended the call, and waited for her butler to arrive. I took one last look at her phone, and chuckled.

“That is one bad photo of me.” I smiled, looking at my photo as her lock screen. I was looking away from the picture, probably during her break. Did she take this photo of me secretly? I chuckled, and stared at _____ sleeping peacefully. Weirdo. Here, let me help you. I her camera, and half-smiled. There. A new lock screen image. I laughed, and I suddenly felt nervous.

Hmph. Weirdo. Why do you have a photo of me, kiddo?

I sat on the bed, and stared at her sleeping face. My hand grasped her phone nervously. Screw it. I laid down beside her, not to the point our skin was touching, but close enough. I lifted her phone above us, and took a picture, as I stuck out my tongue playfully. Now, that’s a good lock screen! I patted my back, proud of my work, and laughed.

See you at school, squirt. I ruffled her hair playfully, and replaced the towel on her head. Tsk. Weirdo.