First Impressions

Caged

 

Hey guys, I’m sorry for the sudden change of this fanfiction. I decided to change its title. Although, the story still remains the same. If you are not satisfied with this change, you may unsubscribe. Please forgive me. As a writer, while reading the old chapters… I felt it was missing something deep. I wanted to improve my mindset and writing. My old fiction, Dazzling Wish, as most of you already know, is my first fanfiction created. While reading back, I noticed many errors and the descriptions were sometimes not my cup of tea. I’m not saying I won’t make any errors in this new one, I will. I’m learning and just writing out my own feelings and demonstrating my hidden love for writing. Thank you for the support. I hope this fanfiction will please you. I love you all, my beautiful stars! Love, KeyChunsa.

--------

“Mo-moving?” I fell back onto the leather chair to prevent myself from slowly falling onto the wooden floors of my father’s office. “Where, why? What have I done? Please, I… Father, I love it here. San Francisco is my home, this is where I was born. I---“ I tried convincing him otherwise, I can’t live elsewhere but here.

“You haven’t done anything, dear. I just… We.” My father stared back at my mother and back at me and continued: “We just decided that it would be nice for you to study in South Korea. Get to know where your parents came from. Besides, wouldn’t it be a nice change?” A change? Yeah, it’ll be a change but not a nice one. I stared back onto the maple wooden floors and exhaled. Swiftly running my fingers to move away my fringe, I stood up and took a couple of steps towards my father’s desk.  I can’t just let them push me around… I’m old enough to have my own opinion. Come on, _____! Say something. Say something! I beg of you… I clenched my fists onto my blue plaid skirt and opened my mouth:

“I don’t wa---“

“We’ve already issued your plane ticket. You will be leaving tomorrow. You must go up to your room and pack, Maid Lulu has already started by bringing a couple of suitcases to your room. There is an apartment that your mother and I have rented; we’ll take care of the rent and the tuition money for school. Other necessities, such as food, clothes and sanitary needs will be at your own responsibility. You will be assigned a new butler and chauffeur when you arrive. Isn’t that wonderful?” My father explained further. I can’t believe it. I just… I can’t just say something. _____, why? I always seem to not be able to stand up for myself… The usual two words left my mouth as I surrendered and sighed in defeat…

“Yes, sir.”

A smile formed on my parents’ faces as they stared at their obedient, innocent daughter. The daughter that would never disobey them, even if, it means, having her own very life controlled, and deteriorating right in front of her very own eyes. I just want to be myself. But who am I, really? I’ve been like this since the day I was born. The girl with the plain glasses, with the preppy skirt with the matching vest. The girl who played piano and mastered the chords of the violin since the age of 6 years old. How young was she… to be pressured of the expectations her parents hold?

“You may start packing.” My father’s voice interrupted my thoughts. I bowed and turned around on my heel. As I slowly close the dark auburn door of his office behind me, my breathing quivered and felt my heart shatter. This is my home. I’ve made friends… close ones. The type where they wouldn’t take advantage of your money. The type who loved you for who you truly are and don’t understand why you won’t show your real self to your parents. But really, what…who… how am I really? My true self? I don’t even know!

“Miss Hyun, it is quite nice and warm during the summer yet really chilly during the winter! Shall we separate your suitcases by season, miss? Or, shall we categorize them by formality and occasion wear?” The old gentle woman in uniform asked. Maid Lulu froze and smiled warmly as she noticed the despair and fear that was expressed across my face. ”Miss Hyun, do not worry. Your parents are wishing the best for their own daughter. After all, you are the only daughter of Sir, the CEO of Lahriesay, they just want you to be immersed in different cultures and most importantly, know your parents’ origins. This is to expand your intellectual overseas.”

My lips formed into a small smile and thanked Maid Lulu for trying to comfort me. But… we both knew how I truly felt. There was no way Maid Lulu would say something against my parents… there was no way that someone in this house would. Look at me, even their daughter isn’t able to stand up for herself. I wish I could… ______, you oughta think positive! Maybe it won’t be so bad! My eyes gazed at the soon-to-be-empty closet.

“We shall categorize it within seasons and remain one suitcase for special occasions…” I instructed my fellow maid. As if, there will be a special occasion… Maid Lulu nodded obediently and commenced to separate all the different clothes according to the 4 seasons and the temperature of South Korea. I smiled at my maid and told her the few words that do not only refer to her but all of San Francisco:

“I’ll miss you.”

***

“Thank you for flying with Seoul Airlines.” That annoying intercom voice repeated that line for the past 10 minutes. I blew a rush of air upwards towards my fringe to shift it away from my eyes. I guess… it’s time to head to the new apartment. I exhaled and took my very first steps outside of the Seoul airport. Wow… Seoul is really…really massive. I gazed at the morning sky and the countless of cars roaming down the large streets. I have a feeling I’m going to get lost for sure…

“Miss Hyun!” The young man ran up to me and leaned his palms against his knees as he tried to catch his breath. I eyed the man in front of me and crossed my arms in frustration. Who is this man? “I’ll take your suitcases, Miss. Hyun.” Oh! Before the young man could grab a hold of my suitcase, I grabbed his hand, halting him from lifting my suitcases.

“Are you by any chance… my new butler?” I stared at him and tilted my head as I waited for a response from my newly-assumed butler. The blond nodded and bowed.

“Annyeong-haseyo. Lee Jaehyoon imnida.” He smiled. Jaehyoon? Jae…hyoon. Hm. He doesn’t seem bad-looking at all. I flashed a bright smile and let go of his hand. He swiftly grabbed all my suitcases and placed them neatly in the black limo. I wish my father just rented a normal car for once. I don’t like casting this much attention. I avoided any eye contact from the crowds of people staring my way.

“Who is she?” I heard some people ask each other in a familiar tongue that my parents speak in. “그 여자 누구예요? (Geu yeoja nugu ye yo?)” “She seems…rich.” “Is she an idol?” I kept walking towards the door of the limo as I kept my head down; my hair covered most of my face. Why… why does father have to burden me with such a fate? I hissed quietly at Jaehyoon to open the door and he did quite quickly. Finally, away from the bickering and chattering of those who are, in quote of my father, ‘beneath’ me, I let out a large sigh and rested my head against the leather chair. “Don’t slouch!” I heard my mother’s voice rise in my mind. Almost automatically, I sat up straight and kept good posture as soon as Jaehyoon got into the drivers’ seat.

“Miss Hyun. Are you alright?” My butler noticed the fluster in my face. I shook my head and ordered him to drive. And like all servants, he obeyed. Why must you obey to everything I say? Can’t you stand up for yourself? I could never handle a job like yours… although; I’m already controlled by my own parents. I guess… I’m practically doing the same: obeying every single order they throw at me.

“Jaehyoon-ah.” I called.

“Yes, Miss Hyun?” He looked at the mirror and back to the view of traffic in front of him.

“______.” I muttered. He stared back, puzzled.

“Y-Yes. That is your name, Miss Hyun. Quite a beautiful name, you possess. I…I hope to have a daughter to name after you.”

I shook my head in frustration and ordered:

“______. Yes. My name is _____ Hyun. You can just call me _____. My parents aren’t here. You must not call me Miss Hyun. To be quite honest, it tires me to hear that every day…” I explained. Like every other servant that I had served me showed the same terror and fear on their face whenever I asked them to call me by my first name. Saying a name isn’t so hard. Saying the name of the daughter of the CEO of Lahriesay, a fashion/beauty company, run by my father and mother, is hard. Once my parents heard this, they would be utterly fired instantly.

“But… Miss Hy—“ He whined hesitantly.

“Nevermind!” I growled, leaning my head against the sun-kissed window. Nevermind. You are all the same. I clicked onto the button and watched the dark screen separate the driver and I, leaving me alone in silence. They are all the same. I just want… that one person who wouldn’t care of who I am. Someone who could free me from this cage. I closed my eyes and fell into a deep and lonely sleep.

***

“_______ Hyun, correct? June 9th, 1995, correct?” The secretary on the other side of the glass scanned through my document. I nodded at each question threw at me. As silence grew, she stared back at me with such distaste that left me confused. What have I done to you? I thought to myself. “Daughter of Mr.Hyun, Lahriesay Co.?” She took off her dark red glasses and placed wiped them with a satin blue cloth, before putting them on again. Her dark expression changed into nothing but a sweet smile. “M-Miss Hyun! I’m so sorry. How rude I was to be staring at you in such a way!”

“A-ah. It’s okay… I…” I whispered hesitantly. The suddenly-nice woman stood up and bowed, offering to help me with my books but I rejected her offer. I knew why she wanted to help: I was HIS daughter. A woman’s dream to be friends with someone who will one day run that company. Everybody wanted the latest fashion trend, female or male, it didn’t matter. It was about the money. The world revolves around money. “Locker…241..” I scanned the plated numbers on the lockers. Finally!

Being overly paranoid, I placed my books in the right order, alphabetically. It must not be in the wrong order, it mustn’t! I can’t stand it. When it’s in the wrong order, something lurks in my mind that pounds against the skull around my brain. Sigh. With a sudden jolt, the locker door quickly hits the right side of my head, causing my legs to fall onto the ground. Aish! What the heck—

“You must be the new girl!”

Blinking a few times, I tried to shoo away the sudden blurs in result of the door’s contact to my head. I raised my head pitifully to the owner of that hideously annoying voice and glared at her. Her pale small hands were both against her sharp, defined hips. The uniform of the school was decent and preppy at first, but this girl changed it in a way, it… made her look.. sorry, for my language but.. ‘ty’. I covered my mouth when I thought of that word and apologized to her mentally.

“Are you just going to freaking sit there? Get up and greet your unnie. Come on. We don’t have all freaking day, do we?” The girl scowled while I got up slowly. My balance was quite unstable due to the harsh blow to the head.

“I…” I whispered, avoiding her piercing glare. “I…”

“Oh hoh!” She chuckled. “Another nerd! For starters, why don’t you introduce yourself to me, noobie?” She jabbed a finger to my collarbone and raised my chin, forcing me to look straight into her eyes. Crowds, more crowds of students halted in the middle of the hallway and watched the ‘show’.

“_____ Hyung… My name is _____ Hyun.” I obeyed. Obeying, once again. I never fail to amaze myself.

“Oh. You’re that rich girl that everybody keeps talking about. Well. Since you’re new, I’ll introduce myself. My name is Hae Ra Park. Everybody, and I mean everybody, knows that I’m the boss, no matter what kind of ‘family’ you’re from.” She hissed and walked around me in circles, every angle of my body observed. I guess, I asked what I asked for. Someone to see me and not care who I am, status-wise. “People say you are beautiful. But I see a plain girl with no prospects. People say you are so intelligent. Prove it. People say that you could buy every single gem in the wo---“

“Well, you shouldn’t believe people so easily.” I let out angrily. I stared at the ground and heard the tapping of her shoes cease.

“Hm. I like you. At least, you know, what you’re truly worth.” Once again, she lifted my chin roughly to have a full view of my face. “And that worth… is…Nothing.” With a slight quick movement of her finger, she pushed my face towards the side, almost pushing me off-balance. Her stinging laugh pierced the halls. “Move it.” She ordered the other students. “There’s nothing more to see here. Absolutely. Nothing.” As ordered, all students returned back to their normal situations.

That twitching feeling lurked into the back of my mind. Someone’s watching. I turned around abruptly and found myself to be the only one in the hallway. The person is gone. I scanned the area once more and closed my locker. I guess I better head to my first class… I gripped onto my schedule and stared at the first course: “Physical Education.” This is going to fun.

I clutched onto my gym uniform and inhaled a load of fresh air, ready to walk into the heated gymnasium. Why do I feel so nervous? Is it because of that Hae Ra Park? I never thought I’d meet up with that kind of girl on my first day… I wonder if I’ll make some fri---

“Ow!” I let out, out of reflex, as I felt someone bump into me. “Ca-Can you watch where you’re going!? Sheesh, Ignorant men, these days!” I muttered out of fear and frustration. I glared at the guy who was staring straight ahead, instead of looking back at me. How rude! “Hey! I’m talking to you, you jerk!” I crossed my arms.

His dark eyes lowered and took a look at the person he bumped into. What’s this guy’s problem!? He smiled and bowed his head: “Sorry. Didn’t see you there.” I took a step back as I was caught off-guard by the sudden kindness this guy emanated. I couldn’t help but stop glaring as he just kept smiling. He walked into the gymnasium with a ragged, old bag, over his shoulder. As soon as he walked through the doors, all the girls flocked around him.

“Oppa!” “You’re so handsome today, omo!” “Will you go out with me?” “Wow! Did you work out!” I rolled my eyes and followed him inside the gymnasium. I grabbed a seat on the bench and watched the girls grab whatever they could from the guy; either holding his arm or hugging him. On the other side, despite the joy and lust of the girls in the center of the gym, on the right side of the gym, were crowds of male students who some, stared at him as an idol, while others, stared at him with such hate and distaste. Jealousy kills. I told them, mentally.

“What a guy.” “All he does is breaking their hearts anyways.” “What does he have that we don’t?” I chuckled at their complaints and shook my head. Yeah. What is so special about him? Sure, he’s handsome. Sure, he does have a nice body and all. But what about his personality, huh?

Oh, fantastic.

There walks in little-miss-I’m-better-than-you. Hae Ra Park. Hae Ra walks in with her mini red shorts and utterly tight white tank-top, it was obvious she wore a black bra just for gym. How ridiculous! So un-ladylike! I rolled my eyes and watched the girls back off immediately. Huh?

“Okay, girls. Back off, he’s my man, you losers.” She clutches the ‘beau’s arm and he does not show any restraint. I guess I was right. He’s one of them. Boyfriend, I guess?

His smirk caused all the guys to shudder in intimidation and the other girls have their heart race. How would I know that? Cause I felt my own start to race. What a guy. I covered my face with my fringe and looked away.

“Okay, guys! Group up! Today’s lesson is…” He spoke.

Le-lesson? My gaze shot up towards the guy and stared at him, wide-eyed. H-He’s our teacher!? W-what? I thought… I thought he was a student! But Hae Ra.. isn’t it bad if a student has a relationship with a teacher? Too soon to be said, the shockingly-young-looking teacher shrugs away Hae Ra’s hand and gives her an unimpressed expression. He gestures everybody to sit down and stands amidst of our view.

“My name is KyoungJae Kim. I will be your instructor for Physical Education for the rest of your years in this school. You guys are Section B, which is my section that I have taken charge of. You guys can call me, Eli.” He smiled.

O..omo.

“Ow!” I let out, out of reflex, as I felt someone bump into me. “Ca-Can you watch where you’re going!? Sheesh, Ignorant men, these days!” I muttered out of fear and frustration. I glared at the guy who was staring straight ahead, instead of looking back at me. How rude! “Hey! I’m talking to you, you jerk!” I crossed my arms.

Oops.

I looked back at him and stared at him, stare back directly at me. I could have sworn… did he just..smirk?

He’s our teacher for the rest of the years in high school? Way to go, ____. You just got on your teachers’ bad side on the very first day of school. This is going to be a hard class to ace.

Goodjob.