The Disguises Of Society

Russian Roulette

 

Leo’s POV

I sighed softly as I stared up at the concrete roof of my cell. 8 years, 8 long years I had been here without one single visitor. I was incredibly lonely but I wasn’t surprised. My two best friends left me to pay for their crimes and my family wanted nothing to do with me. I honestly can’t blame any of them. It’s my fault I’m in here anyway.

“Yah! Taekwoon! Wake up, I need to tell you something,” A booming voice pulled me from my thoughts.

Wake up? I could never sleep in the hell hole and even when I did, it was always with one eye open.

I sat up and looked over at the male officer that stood in front of my cell. He had always been what I could consider an ally in this place. He was the one person who had listened to my story and empathised somewhat. He did what he could to protect me from the other prisoners and I was always sure to get a larger portion of food than anyone else.

“I heard the other officers discussing something earlier,” He explained as he stepped closer to the bars.

“What was it?” I questions in a monotonous tone. Over the past few years I had lost a lot of my personality. I never showed any emotion, not that I had anything to feel emotion for anyway.

“It turns out some guy that was involved with that whole murder thing that happened committed suicide,” he elaborated, then paused for a moment in thought, “Hack-something was his name I think.”

My eyes widened in surprise, “Hackyeon?”

He nodded, “Yeah that’s the name.”

I stared down at my hand, my head flooded with various thoughts. Why would he kill himself when he had Ken? Did something happen to Ken? I wonder if they were still together when he died.

“Taekwoon! I’m not done talking,” he groaned, “Pay attention for once would you?”

“Sorry…” I muttered softly.

“You have your first visitor,” he smiled softly.

A first visitor. That should be a pleasant thought but to me it felt awfully depressing. Only now, after 8 years of solitude do I get a single visitor.

He unlocked the door of the cell and pulled it open, gesturing for me to come through. I slowly and hesitantly rose from my bed and walked over to him. He began to lead me towards the visiting room, a place I had never been before.

He pulled the door to the visiting room open and I was met with the empty eyes of a man I hadn’t seen in so long. Lee Jaehwan.

After I entered the room and the door was shut behind us, leaving us alone, Ken rose from his seat and bowed formally.

“It’s been a long time hasn’t it?” He smiled up at me gently and I couldn’t help but feel he was almost mocking me when he clearly was only intending to be polite.

“No need to be so formal,” I replied gruffly and he nodded and sat back down in his seat.

He chuckled softly, “You’ve aged horribly.”

I scowled and took a seat across from him, “What do you expect? A prison certainly isn’t the nicest place to spend your years.”

He sighed and looked down at the ground, “I can’t even express my remorse for the events that occurred all those years ago.”

“Your apologies mean nothing now.”

He slowly lifted his head to meet my gaze, “Did you hear about N?”

“You mean how he committed suicide?”

Ken smiled to himself, “Is that what they told you? He didn’t commit suicide, I killed him.”

I sighed softly and shook my head, “Even after all these years, you never learnt. Murder isn’t the answer to anything, it only causes more problems than it solves. If you had told me this a few years ago, I would have been happy and proud of you for finally seeing the monster he really was. But I’ve matured and clearly, you haven’t.”

 

Ken’s POV

“Even after all these years, you never learnt. Murder isn’t the answer to anything, it only causes more problems than it solves. If you had told me this a few years ago, I would have been happy and proud of you for finally seeing the monster he really was. But I’ve matured and clearly, you haven’t.”

Those words, they took a few minutes to sink in but he was right. Truthfully, I am no better than N himself. I could have just walked away that one night and left him for good. I doubt he would have tried to find me. But instead I resorted to something completely unnecessary, murder.

I was pulled from my thoughts when Leo’s chair squeaked as he rose to his feet. I watched him as he walked over to the corner of the room and bent down to pick up a ball point pen. I continued to watch him with immense curiosity as he examined the pen and brought it back to the chair with him and sat down again.

“Do you feel guilty at all?” He asked softly, “For all the things that happened?”

I shrugged, “Probably not as much as I should.”

He laughed sarcastically, “Well no surprises there,” his expression then became quite solemn, “Society truly is a sick place. Everyone is nothing but a monster in disguise.”

He grimaced slightly and lifted the pen up and slid it slowly into his ear, only about an inch deep.

I continued to watch him, I had no idea what he was doing. Maybe these past few years in solitude had caused him to go insane.

He then smiled at me as he hit the end of the pen with a great amount of force, causing it to break through his ear drum and enter his brain. I stared at him for a moment, not yet quite understanding what I had just witnessed.

“LEO!” I cried out and sunk to the floor in tears as his body slumped into the chair, completely and utterly lifeless.

My only living friend just committed suicide right before my eyes and I did nothing to stop him.

 

After the events he had witnessed over the years, Ken slowly began to break down. He no longer had anyone around him to support him. He was later admitted to a home for the mentally ill, or in his terms ‘the looney bin’. He began to suffer from constant night terrors, panic attacks and fits of unexplained rage.

Over the years, he lost the will to speak. He would spend all his waking hours staring out the window at a single willow tree, while singing softly.

 

I’m losing control

It’s been way too long

Stop ing with my brain

Stop spitting on my pain

I’ll burn you in flames

Will you be the one

I wanna have some control

I need some control



 

A/N: T_T I can't believe this story is actually finished. The song at the end is Losing Control - Nell it's an amazing song. I love all of Nell's work. Also, about Leo's suicide with the pen. It actually is a form of suicide, even though it's not as common. I'm fairly sure the death is almost instant. Thank you all for all the support you've given me with this story! I love you all! Goodbye~ I'll miss you all <3