Chapter 7

KangMin - Manly Man

 

During lunchtime

 

“Sungmin.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’m your friend, right?”

 

“Of course. Why?”

 

“I don’t know. I’m just afraid that, if you eventually find someone precious to you, you’ll leave me.”

 

I looked away after saying such embarrassing words. But Sungmin wasn’t the kind who’d laugh at you for saying things like that. He put his hand on my arm softly and made me look at him. “I’m your friend, you know. A real friend. I’d never leave you.”

 

“But you know, when you find someone precious to you, maybe you’ll do so.”

 

“You mean, when I get a boyfriend? Never! Why would I do that?”

 

“I don’t know. I had that friend, a few years ago. He forgot my existence the day he found a girlfriend.”

 

“Now that’s stupid. Anyway, do you really think I could do that to you? I’d be all alone if my boyfriend and I broke up.”

 

“Speaking about breaking up, they did break up after a few months. He tried to talk to me again after that. I just laughed in his face and said it was his selfishness that made his girlfriend leave him.”

 

“That’s a bit mean, but you were right to do this.”

 

“It’s not like we could see each other often. I mean, he had moved two years before and we could only see each other three or four times a year. We talked to each other via Internet, but even there, he forgot about my existence. Whenever I tried talking to him, he was always with his girlfriend.”

 

“Well, this is love. It makes people stupid. But you see, I’m not the kind who’d abandon his friend for a lover. Especially because my friend will probably be with me for a longer time than the lover. When the lover will leave, the friend will still be there.”

 

“You’re saying this, but you never know.”

 

“Do you seriously think I could be a pathetic douchebag?”

 

That actually made me laugh. “Of course not. Thanks, Sungmin.”

 

“No problem. But, Kangin…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Promise me you’ll never abandon me either okay? I would probably end up hating you if you did.”

 

“I know. I understand.”

 

“You see, it’s not like I could let my best friend abandon me without feeling anything. I can be cold, but I’m still human.”

 

“Wait, wait, wait, your best friend? I’m your only friend, am I not?”

 

“Yes, but even if I do make other friends, you’ll always be my best friend.”

 

I was so touched I stayed silent for a while. So that was how he saw me? I was feeling… honored. It was an honor to be seen like this. Not even a source of pride. Just honor. And happiness.

 

“Thanks,” I simply said.

 

“No problem,” he simply replied.

 

*********************************

 

The trip to Old Montreal arrived quickly. I smiled when we arrived at Sungmin’s house – he had told me his address and yes, it was a house, though it was pretty small, but still, it was probably inherited from his parents – and I saw him come out with a pretty big backpack. I got out of the car and walked to him. “Need help?”

 

He smiled softly. “Yeah. Please. Thanks.”

 

“No need to ask, this is my pleasure. After all, you’re keeping me company for the weekend.”

 

He laughed and walked to the car. I told him on which side he could sit and I could hear him talk a bit to my parents as I was placing his bag at the back. I got into the car again and patted Sungmin’s head. “Thanks for being here.”

 

“You dragged me into this, you better keep your promise.”

 

That made me laugh. “I always keep my promises. Anyway, it’s not like I could just let you have the bed and I’d take the sofa. I like beds way too much for that.”

 

He took my hand softly and pressed it into his. “Yeah. Thanks.”

 

“Why are you thanking me?”

 

“Because you’re there. And you’re my friend. My best friend.”

 

That again. I stayed silent and pressed his hand too. “Then thanks to you too.”

 

“Kangin.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Will you let me sleep on your shoulder? I was a bit nervous so I couldn’t sleep very well last night…”

 

I nodded and pulled him towards me. “Yeah. Just do that. I’ll sleep too so we’ll both be good to go for the rest of the day.”

 

He chuckled and hugged my arm. “You’re like a teddy bear. A big teddy bear. It’s a compliment eh. I love teddy bears.” His voice became a whisper I could barely hear. “But I love you more than teddy bears, you know…”

 

He closed his eyes and quickly fell asleep.