Chapter 3

KangMin - Manly Man

 

He didn’t follow me. I went to my next class, finding it already open, and I sat before sighing softly. Today was definitely a weird day. First, Kyuhyun just randomly asking me to talk to this guy. Second, the guy being nice to me in the beginning, and then being all cold, not wanting help from anyone. Third, and that was the weirdest event of the day, I was being NICE to someone. I wanted to HELP someone. Fourth , that person didn’t want any help anyway, so I was just looking stupid. And fifth… the teacher was LATE. He had opened the door! WHERE WAS HE NOW?

 

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. Students were speaking loudly. The teacher was very late. Another teacher just happened to pass by and asked us about it. We didn’t bother answer. The other teacher was unhappy and went to search for his colleague. In the end, our teacher happened to have a horrible stomachache so we had to keep ourselves busy waiting for him.

 

What a pain.

 

When he finally showed up, thirty minutes later, I growled a bit. That idiot. Seriously, come on! That guy with a disease – Sungmin, was it? – could not hurry and he was never late. That teacher had no real excuse and I wasn’t the only one being unhappy with this guy who yelled at us for being late when he himself was VERY late. He awkwardly started teaching us and I reluctantly took out my notebook.

 

After thirty more minutes, class was finished and we all happily left. I just felt like sleeping but a voice stopped me before I could complain more.

 

“Hey, wait.”

 

Oh come on! Why did he want to talk to me anyway? I turned and looked at him with a “are you ing kidding me” face. He joined me and his eyes full of sadness met mine. He bowed.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry. I was actually happy that you talked to me, you know. It’s just that… I don’t want you to get rejected like I am. Especially since you seem quite popular.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not popular, really. I’m just being myself – and a jerk, sometimes – and it looks like girls appreciate that.”

 

I didn’t plan on telling him that I didn’t exactly have a liking toward girls though. He didn’t need to know that. Really.

 

“Still, you’re one of the guys the girls would like to date the most.”

 

“That’s their problem. I don’t plan on getting a girlfriend anyway.”

 

“Do they know?”

 

“Nope. And they don’t need to.”

 

Same as you, I thought. He didn’t need to know that either, so why was I even telling him that? I sighed. “Oh well. We shouldn’t just stay here. Let’s move.”

 

“Following you.”

 

We went to his usual bench and I put down my pencil case and my agenda before going to my locker to change books, knowing the two items I had dropped would be of use in my next class. I sighed when I saw Kyuhyun waiting for me not far from my locker. He smirked when he saw me. “Youngwoon. Cursed person.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “He is NOT cursed.”

 

“I was talking about you. Idiot.”

 

I glared at him with furious eyes, but it only made him laugh. “Are you really falling for that cursed guy? I didn’t think you would be such a loser.”

 

“You little…!”

 

“Well then, bye, Mr. Loser.”

 

He left, making me growl before I shrugged. I didn’t need this guy anyway. He wasn’t a close friend or anything, and I still couldn’t understand why I was even speaking to him in the first place.

 

“I told you, didn’t I?” a soft voice resounded softly behind me.

 

I sighed. “Yeah, you told me. But I don’t really care. This guy is annoying. He can be a sweet kid at times but other than that, he’s just a plain jerk.”

 

“But…”

 

“Seriously, I don’t care. As long as you don’t suddenly tell me that you don’t want me as a friend…”

 

“I won’t do this.”

 

“I hope so.”

 

I took my books and sighed. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I came to get my books too. Can’t I?”

 

Stupid me. “Oh. Yeah. Sorry.”

 

I waited for him. We then went to the bench and took the rest of our books before going to class. While we were walking, he smiled softly, making me bite my lower lip. He was so cute. His delicate voice sounded unusually happy: “You’re my first friend since the day we discovered my disease. It’s kind of strange to walk with someone at school.”

 

“And… when did you discover your illness?”

 

“Right after I got able to walk and run.”

 

“…”

 

“So yeah, you’re kind of my first friend ever.”

 

“Kind of?”

 

“I had a ‘friend’ when I was a baby. That’s what my parents told me, I don’t remember, of course. He had to move a few weeks before we learned about my disease though.”

 

I sighed. “Seriously… you’re strong. To be able to go through everything, all alone…”

 

He smiled softly and his big dark eyes caught mine. “Yeah. But I’m not alone anymore.”

 

I stayed silent. There was nothing else to say.

 

I couldn’t just tell him that what he had said had made my heart get all warm and happy.