Chapter 6: A Little Too Late

Days to Forever

 

--At minhyuk’s agency…

Manager: minhyuk!!! really…what am I going to do with you kid…tsk

--His manager shouted while slamming the phone on the table. Minhyuk kept calm.

Minhyuk: I’ll just pay them..maybe even double the price if I need to..

Manager: don’t you dare do that again!

Minhyuk: but why didn’t jessy know about it?

Manager: it’s not our matter to be involved with..

Minhyuk: looks like someone wants to bring her down..

--Minhyuk was confused and concerned at the same time. He was pretty sure that someone was hating on jessy.

Manager: maybe it’s just a misunderstanding..

--Then the telephone rang again…

Manager: hello? What?!

--And he looked at minhyuk, alarmed.


 

--At jessy’s house…

Mr. kim: ahhhh..it’s a long day..you better rest because tomorrow we’re gonna be celebrating, ok?

--Mr. kim tapped jessy’s shoulder.

Jessy: de : )

--She answered sweetly.

Mr. kim: I’m sure your parents are going to know about your success tomorrow..and they’ll congratulate you…

Jessy: I hope so.. : )

Mr. kim: good night, dear  : )


 

--The next  day at school…

Jessy: ahhhh..such a great day!

--As soon as she got out of her car, she noticed a lot of students gossiping; some were staring fiercely at her; some were pushing each other and fighting on whom shall approach her; some were waving and smiling at her excitedly.

Jessy: eh? Maybe they can’t get over with minhyuk’s performance last night..well so am i.. that guy..always making his fans fall in love with him…

Random girl1: annyeong hasseo ms.hyun! congratulations!

--The word ‘congratuations’ confused her. But she thought that it was for the show last night being successful.

Jessy: well, thank you.. : )

Random girl2: ahhh…ms.hyun, we envy you! you are such a lucky girl!

Jessy: well? I guess I am? Haha

--And what the girl said was a little flattering. As a fangirl, maybe she’s really lucky that pretty boy minhyuk sang for her, not to mention hugging her in front of a crowd.

Random girl3: ahhh..can you give this to minhyuk oppa? I hope it’s fine with you..we’re just fans, ms.hyun : )

Rg1, rg2, rg3: please?

Jessy: but I’m not sure if we’ll..ah…ok..if we meet again..

Rg1: next time can you tell him to visit you here in school?

--Now she really didn’t know what’s happening. Like out of the blue, why would minhyuk visit her? Maybe they became friends, but not as special that despite his busy schedule, he would take time to go to the school.

Jessy: huh?

Rg2: please ms.hyun, we support the two of you..

Rg3: ahhh..so romantic..

--She can’t think of anything else to say. The twinkling eyes of the girls were making her a little nervous.

Jessy: ah..ok?

Rg1,rg2,rg3: kamsahamnida! Bye!!!

Jessy: what’s with them? aissh..he shouldn’t have hugged me..

Ilhoon: jessy!

--Ilhoon came running.

Jessy: de? Annyeong ilhoon!

--Jessy waved and smiled at him. But Ilhoon just pulled her away and hid her. Jessy was a little scared. The grasp of ilhoon’s hand on her arm hurt.

Ilhoon: why did you come to school?!

Jessy: why? I don’t see anything wrong…

Ilhoon: you don’t? really? You don’t?!

--Ilhoon was really mad. But the concern in his eyes was visible. Just then, Jessy heard the shouts of the reporters to the guards to let them come into the school.

Jessy:  what are they doing here?!

--Ilhoon’s phone rang.

Ilhoon: de hyunsik..i found her..ok, bye……listen, jessy. You’re in trouble now..

--She was shocked. Then, her phone also rang.

Jessy: ah omma! eh? I-I don’t know about this…

**mr. hyun: give me the phone

--Mr. hyun snatched the phone form mrs.hyun.

**Mr. hyun: jessy?!

Jessy: appa! I-I did my best last night…

**mr hyun: are you expecting me to congratulate you?!

Jessy: appa…

**mr. hyun: is it that you came to korea just because of lee minhyuk?!

Jessy: no..no appa..i did not---

--Jessy was panicking. Her father shouting at her made her body tremble. Maybe meeting minhyuk was one of her goals when she went to korea. but this vacation was not only because of him, it was mainly because of her, and only for her.

**mr. hyun: if you do..then you have to take responsibility of it and fix this trouble that you made!

Jessy: appa…we’re not---

**mr. hyun: look, jessy. If you’re really in love with him, it’s fine with me. I mean he’s a young hardworking man, and I guess I would like him for you..but please, don’t drag our name and our business down. Please don’t make any trouble anymore…please. Fix this and make us proud.

Jessy: appa---

--Her father hung up.

Jessy:  ilhoon…

Ilhoon: look…

--Ilhoon pulled a newspaper from his bag. The headline said “ lee minhyuk and the respected mr. hyun’s daughter’s secret relationship: the truth behind her visit to korea”. Their pictures last night, in the restaurant and even when minhyuk visited her in her house were all there.

Jessy: what’s this?! Ilhoon..you know we’re not---

--ilhoon could see the confusion and pain in jessy’s face. Ilhoon cupped her face with his hands, making her a little calm.

Ilhoon: I know…ok? then you two have to clear things up…

--Hyunsik and sungjae came running.

 Hyunsik: jessy..minhyuk’s here..

Sungjae: jessy…

Jessy: it’s not what you guys think…

Sungjae: we know, ok? Just go there and tell them

--Jessy nodded and called mr. kim.


 

--And at the gate…minhyuk came.

Mr. kim: minhyuk-ssi..please come with me. please calm down, everyone. Guards, let them in and lead them to the main hall.


 

--Mihyuk and jessy met in a room.

Minhyuk: jessy…

Jessy: minhyuk, what is this all about?

Minhyuk: I don’t know...

Jessy: we have to tell them the truth...

--While jessy was getting a little mad at what’s happening, minhyuk was calm and held her hand. He nodded to his secretary and mr. kim, asking them to leave jessy and him alone.

Minhyuk: jessy, I know this is out of timing but…

--He hels he hands tighter.

Minhyuk: i-I like you..and this, I won’t mind them thinking that we are..together..

Jessy: but this is wrong..i mean, this is a lie..

Minhyuk: it won’t be if you like me too..do you…like me? [please say yes…]

Jessy: [I know that part of me wants to tell him that even before we met, I already like him..but now, I can’t even answer him..and I don’t know why] minhyuk…

--Minhyuk didn’t force her to answer.

Minhyuk: but we will clear this up..we’ll tell them that we are not together and we can start again, right?

minhyuk’s secretary: I’m sorry, minhyuk-ssi, but the reporters are already getting impatient…

--Jessy pulled her hands away.

Jessy: let’s go...


 

--At the hall…press and students were waiting for their confirmation of what’s going on between them. Sungjae, ilhoon and hyunsik were there. As soon as minhyuk and jessy sat down in front of the media…

Reporter1: minhyuk-ssi, jessy-ssi..are you two dating?

--They looked at each other..neither of them wanted to answer. Jessy remembered what her father said; about minhyuk being ‘okay’ to him; about how hard working minhyuk is; and the possibility that being with minhyuk would make her relationship to his father a bit better. She wanted to say that they’re together but she didn’t want to lie in front of her friends. All were waiting for an answer. Then suddenly, minhyuk’s secretary stood up.

minhyuk’s Secretary (ms.choi): yes, they are.

--All were surprised, especially the ones that know about the truth. Minhyuk and jessy looked at each other.

Ms. choi: it’s true that they are dating and don’t want to admit it publicly because they respect each other’s privacy. But now that all found out about this, there’s no reason to hide. That’s all we can say about this issue and we hope that all will support the two of them. Thank you all for coming.

--Ms. Choi stood up and bowed. Jessy and minhyuk followed her. They didn’t know what to react. Jessy looked at the three guys who were very disappointed. They all stood up and walked away. Minhyuk put his arm around her shoulder and she looked at him.

Minhyuk: everything’s going to be fine..


 

--When all of the reporters went away…

Minhyuk: yah! Why did you do that?!

Ms. choi: I’m only thinking about the two of you..because if I didn’t say that, they wouldn’t stop bothering you…(looked at jessy)and your family’s image will be at risk..isn’t it better that you came here to korea because of love and not just because you want to be free of the pressure that’s given to you, ms.hyun?

--Jessy was caught off guard. Ms. Choi had her eyes piercing on jessy.

Jessy: but i---

Ms. choi: I know how hard it is too be mr.hyun’s daughter..but isn’t it that being with minhyuk, who is popular, can help in your business? You can even use his fans to make the business prosper...

--Though minhyuk knew that what ms. Choi said could be true, he couldn’t help but feel pity for jessy.

Minhyuk: what are you saying?!

Jessy: i-I just don’t want to lie..

Minhyuk: (held jessy) listen jessy, we’ll make everything straight…in time..


 

--Jessy was walking aimlessly. She was glad that minhyuk left quickly. She didn’t want to be with him this time. She hated herself for wanting to meet and be friends with him. She hated that she’s getting one of the things that she fantasized about; being his girlfriend. She hated that her faiytale was just a lie. She walked through the corridor and saw the Sungjae, ilhoon and hyunsik waiting.

Jessy: mianhamnida…

--She bowed at them while fighting back her tears. Her fists were clenched and were shaking.

Ilhoon: why didn’t you tell them the truth?

Hyunsik: why did you lie?

Ilhoon: jessy….weyo?!

Jessy: mianhamnida!

--She couldn’t take it. The guilt was taking over her and she started crying. As soon as he saw tears falling down her cheeks, sungjae walked away.

Random classmate: ilhoon-ah..you guys get inside! Prof’s waiting!!!

--They all went inside..leaving jessy crying. She couldn’t blame them if they were mad because it’s not just them whom she lied to, but all of the people that gave their trust and adoration to her and to minhyuk.


 

--Inside the classroom…sungjae was staring out the window and sighed deeply.

Sungjae: [how could she do this…]

Ilhoon: I can’t believe that she did that...

Hyunsik: she’s ms. Hyun after all..we can’t and we shouldn’t do anything about it..

Ilhoon: yeah..right..but still..

--Sungjae looked at them.

Sungjae: i guess she likes the idea though…

--He said and looked away.


 

--She decided to go home and get some rest. She was driving when someone called and she answered it.

Jessy: yeoboseyo?

Mrs. Hyun: jessy! We saw the news..we’re so happy for you! I knew it from the start! You finally got him huh? Haha

--Jessy smiled sadly and sighed.

Jessy: de, omma..

Mrs. Hyun: is there a problem, honey?

Jessy: anyo..it just feels great to let the whole world know about it..nothing to hide anymore..

Mrs. Hyun: aww..this is just the beginning, honey..

Jessy: I know, omma…I know..


 

--In minhyuk’s car…

Minhyuk: stop the car..

Ms. choi: excuse me?

Minhyuk: I said stop the car..

Ms. choi: ani—

Minhyuk: just stop it...

--As soon as the car stopped, minhyuk immediately opened the door.

Ms. choi: where are you going?

--As if he didn’t hear anything, he just got out.

Ms. choi: you’re not working today? What am I supposed to say to them huh?

Minhyuk: mollayo..it’s your job to fix things for me, right? [then do your job…you even dared to walk into my private life]

--And he walked away.


 

--Jessy went to her house.

Maid: I’m happy for you ms. Hyun.. : )

--But she just walked towards her room. She felt empty. She was confused with what minhyuk and her did. She was confused why she lied to her friends. And she was confused that for the first time, she’s not sure whether she likes the thought of being minhyuk’s girlfriend.

Maid: why doesn’t she look happy? I thought…oh, whatever..tsk, children now are really daebak..

--As much she wanted to explain everything, she couldn’t. she just laid on her bed and cried.


 

--Minhyuk was walking aimlessly. He couldn’t think of anything. He hopped in a bus.

Random people: congratulations!

--It took a few seconds for what they were saying to sink into minhyuk. When he realized what they were congratulating him from, minhyuk just smiled and bowed.

Random people: you two are really made for each other! We hope your relationship will last..

Minhyuk: de..kamsahamnida.

--And he forced himself to smile again; faking every bit of it as some people took pictures of a fake taken man.


 

--It was break time at school. Sungjae was looking for jessy and saw that her car isn’t in the parking lot.

Ilhoon: ah.. I wanna go home…this day is just too much..

Hyunsik: me too..should we?

Ilhoon: as if you can afford to cut class..

--Sungjae was going back to the classroom when he saw a note posted at the wall. He got it. (“I know I’ve been saying this all the time, but I can’t think of anything more to say..i’m really sorry..if I could only take back all the things that happened..but now it just became too complicated—jessy”)

Sungjae: stupid jessy..why are you doing this to yourself...

--Ilhoon saw the note and read it with hyunsik while it’s still in sungjae’s hand.

Hyunsik: so..i guess she didn’t mean it..she’s just caught by the situation.

Ilhoon: yeah..i pity her now..the pressure just got into her..not easy being in her status..but still, what she did was wrong..

Hyunsik: I feel bad that we left her crying a while ago.

--Without saying anything, sungjae ran.

Hyunsik: yah sungjae! Where are you going?!


 

--Jessy was crying on her bed, hugging her pillow tightly. Sungjae was riding his bike, using all his force to drive as fast as he could. Minhyuk was walking, wondering where his feet would take him.


 

--The doorbell rang at jessy’s house and there was a knock on her door.

Maid: excuse me jessy? There’s someone looking for you…


 

--Though she’s not ready yet to talk to someone, jessy wiped her tears away and went to their gate…in her surprise…Minhyuk hugged her.

Minhyuk: mianhe…mianhe…mianhe

--It was all that he could say.

--Sungjae was a few seconds late. He saw them. jessy and minhyuk didn’t know he’s there.

Minhyuk: I already said that I won’t make you cry anymore..but I did it again, didn’t i? I’m sorry, sweetie..i shouldn’t have brought you to this situation…mianhamnida, jessy.

--He tapped jessy’s head. Jessy hugged him too and finally, she had a shoulder to cry on.

--Sungjae smiled sadly.

Sungjae: why do I always see you cry..

--He got jessy’s letter from his pocket.

Sungjae: if I had just read you a little earlier.

--He turned his bike and went away with tears forming in his eyes.