Chapter 3: Star After the Rain

Days to Forever

 

--In minhyuk’s luxurious car…

Minhyuk: so how do you find korea?

Jessy: it…it is so beautiful

--Yeah right, she said this while staring at minhyuk. He’s beautiful, indeed.

Minhyuk: I’m glad you like it here.

Jessy: I really really like you…your..[ugh…what am I saying]

--Jessy was panicking. Imagine seeing your crush when you least expected it, let alone being beside him in his car.

Minhyuk: sorry?

Jessy: ah..i really like your car..so shiny and comfy [regain yourself please jessy]

--Jessy patted the dashboard of the car, hoping to make him forget what she almost said.

Minhyuk: oh, thanks. I bet you have more cool cars than this though.

--And that was true. Jessy looked away and whispered while giggling.

Jessy: but you’re the coolest…

Minhyuk: what?

Jessy: what?

--She was surprised that minhyuk almost heard it.

Minhyuk: what did you say?

Jessy: what did I say?

Minhyuk: (laughed) oh nothing..you funny little one.

--Jessy just smiled at him, staring at how she made minhyuk laugh for the first time.

Jessy: ahhhhhh…so cold out here.

Minhyuk: de, you want to eat something that’ll make you warm?

--Jessy nodded.


 

--While eating something spicy at a restaurant, jessy can’t help but sniff.

Minhyuk: haha! Is it too spicy?

Jessy: anyo! I can do this!

--Jessy said while holding her chopsticks up.

Minhyuk: but I think you’re already crying.haha

Jessy: anyo.

--As a proof, jessy ate a lot.

Minhyuk: haha! You are really daebak!

--Jessy smiled, then the sauce of whatever she’s eating stained her blouse a little.

Minhyuk: oh!

--Minhyuk was going to clean it. He was already leaning across the table. Jessy was surprised and even mihyuk was surprised with how he reacted. He was embarrassed.

Minhyuk: sorry…here.

--He just handed the tissue to jessy.

Jessy: gomawo.

--She said while still sniffing. Her whole face and ears were all red. Minhyuk just looked at her and smiled slowly. Then jessy coughed.

Minhyuk: aissh, chongmal.

--And like he can’t contain his concern, he sat beside her.

Minhyuk: here, drink a lot.

--He handed her water.

Jessy: I think this is enough.

Minhyuk: I thought you’d never say.

Jessy: I’m so hot now..

--Jessy wiped the sweat from her forehead and made a fan out of her hand. But she didn’t expect how minhyuk would react with what she said.

Minhyuk: but still. I’m hotter..haha

Jessy: what?

--And they both laughed.


 

--At the school…

Hyunsik: come on, ilhoon. I think she’s not coming.

--Hyunsik patted ilhoon’s shoulder and prepared to leave.

Ilhoon: no, maybe she’s just late.

Hyunsik: but we’re waiting for hours.

Sungjae: maybe she forgot about it or maybe she really didn’t want to come [I knew it..that girl? Hanging with us? Such an act]

Ilhoon: araso. Let’s go home.

Hyunsik: de. annyeong.

--Hyunsik waved goodbye while ilhoon also walked his way home. Sungjae felt the disappointment of his friends.

Sungjae: nappu jessy.

--he was going home but hesitated and decided to stay. Then, choaya came beside him.

Choaya: why so late sungjae? Let’s go home together.

Sungjae: anyo. I’m waiting for someone.

Choaya: but it’s getting dark already, can’t you accompany me?

Sungjae: sorry, I can’t. You should have got your project done in your house rather than staying late in school.

Choaya: ah right. Haige…

--Choaya was a little mad and just walked away.


 

--When minhyuk and jessy went out of the restaurant, photographers were everywhere because of minhyuk.

Jessy: ahhhhh….so full (noticed them) ah?!

Minhyuk: ah really! Come!

--He put an arm around her shoulder, blocking the cameras that were aimed to jessy with his body. but by then, the photographers already knew that it was jessy.

P1: ah! Is that hyun tae bin’s daughter?

P2: minhyuk-ssi, are you dating mr. hyun’s daughter?

--It was a scary crowd shouting questions at them.

Minhyuk: palli! Palli!

--Jessy hurriedly slid into the car, while minhyuk faced the crowd.

Minhyuk: I’m not going to answer any questions right now, so please clear the way for us. (then he went in the car too) sorry, jessy.

Jessy: kwenchana. Ah! I forgot! I have something to do! Can we drive to the agency again? I have to get my car.

Minhyuk: I thought you made your assistant get your car?

Jessy: ah! You’re right. Then, can you drive me to our school?

Minhyuk: ok ok.

--The crowd slowly gave way for them.


 

Jessy: minhyuk, thank you.

--The thought of prolonging the moment with her being with minhyuk did not come to her mind. She didn’t even think if they would meet again. all she knew was there were her friends waiting for her. She ran as fast as she could.

Minhyuk: bye jessy!

--Minhyuk shouted but she was already far. When she came at the gate, the guys were nowhere to be seen.

Sungjae: you’re looking for them? [and she even dared to come]

--Sungjae approached her suddenly.

Jessy: de! Where are they? [this is so wrong…I forgot about them..i became so selfish]

Sungjae: Don’t you know what time is it?

Jessy: I know, I know.

Sungjae: and you’re still expecting them to wait for you?

Jessy: did you stay here just to annoy me?

Sungjae: You should’ve have seen how disappointed my friends are! They were so excited but then you let them down!

--Jessy doesn’t like people shouting at her. She’s tired from being shouted at by her father. Sungjae was mad, so mad that it’s enough to scare jessy.

Jessy: mi..mianhamnida

--She just bowed down.

Sungjae: I knew you’re like this.

--But there’s just so much jessy can’t take.

Jessy: do you really think you know who I am?! How dare you say that to me?!

--And with that, tears were falling down her cheeks. She bit her lip, trying to fight them as much as she can but she failed.

Sungjae: you don’t know how hard it is to wait and expect.

--he just walked away and rode his bicycle. She was still crying. She started walking away aimlessly. Then it rained, droplets of water mixing with her tears, dripping her clothes and bag. Sungjae looked back at her and went towards her.

Jessy: just go away..leave me alone.

--She said while wiping tears and water from her face. Sungjae went off his bike and held her by the arm. She tried to shrug him off her but she can’t. she’s losing her strength. He took off his coat and put it on her head.

Sungjae: I have to go home, my mom’s waiting for me. Go back to the school and call someone to pick you up. Don’t get yourself into trouble.

--Though it was raining so hard, he left riding his bicycle.

Jessy: [I know how to wait and expect, sungjae. And I know how painful it is.]


 

--the next day at school…

Sungjae: ilhoon, annyeong!!!

--He said as he ran towards ilhoon…

Ilhoon: yah sungjae…

Sungjae: any news today? I’m early, huh?

--He was trying to cheer Ilhoon up.

Ilhoon: de, there’s no news.

Sungjae: you’re not feeling well?

Ilhoon: anyo. It’s just that I can’t accept that we got stood up yesterday. And still I’m wondering why.

Sungjae: stop it. It’s not worth thinking about. Kapshida.

--he put his arm around ilhoon’s shoulder and they walked to their room.


 

Hyunsik: ah! Sungjae!

Sungjae: de?

--he was putting his bag on his desk.

Hyunsik: an ahjussi left this box for you.

--Hyunsik handed him a red box to sungjae.

Sungjae: chincha?

--He opened it and saw his coat and a note: “gomawo sungjae. And mianhamnida about yesterday. Please make my apology reach ilhoon and hyunsik as well. And about what you said, I know how hard it is to wait and expect, maybe even being rejected. –jessy”.

Ilhoon: your coat? Is that a letter? Let me see! Let me see!

Sungjae: ah anyo!

--He raised it, so ilhoon can’t reach it but hyunsik got it.

Hyunsik: from jessy? Wait, you two met yesterday?

Ilhoon: ah chinchayaa? How come you didn’t tell us?

--Hyunsik read the letter.

Hyunsik: she’s sorry about yesterday and talking about something I can’t relate to.

--ilhoon grabbed the letter then he looked at sungjae.

Sungjae: aisssh..don’t look at me like that. It’s nothing.

Hyunsik: you told her something that made you two quarrel, didn’t you?

Sungjae: I told you it’s nothing.

--He snatched back the letter from ilhoon. Hyunsik and ilhoon were really suspicious of what happened.

Ilhoon: then we must find jessy to tell her it’s okay. she might be  down and guilty right now.

--as soon as they were at the door…

Choaya: I think she won’t be here today.

--Choaya heard the last thing that ilhoon said.

Hyunsik: weyo? How did you know?

Choaya: I was going to the grocery store when I saw her and she seems sick when she was getting in the car last night. I wonder what she’s doing in school when it was so late.

Sungjae: that girl. Sick already? seriously?

Ilhoon: sungjae! You waited for her without us knowing and then you let her got wet?

--ilhoon pushed sungjae a little, but enough to make him lose his balance and bump at the door.

Sungjae: what? I even lend her my coat.

Hyunsik: and you left her?

--Sungjae didn’t know what to say to defend himself.

Choaya: you met her last night?

--She acted so jealous and sungjae just looked at her.

Choaya: so that’s why you refused to go home together with me?

--there’s still no answer from sungjae. hyunsik and ilhoon thought it was awkward.

Ilhoon: ah! Mr. joon! Kapshida! Bye choaya!

--the three went away as fast as they could.

Choaya: that girl…


 

--At jessy’s house…someone called her.

Jessy: yeoboseyo?

Minhyuk: annyeong!

--Yes? Did I say that they exchanged numbers?

Jessy: de? [this is not the best time to talk to him..]

--She answered with a sore voice.

Minhyuk: kwenchanayo?

Jessy: de, kwenchasumnida.

Minhyuk: really? Did you get wet yesterday?

Jessy: a little.

Minhyuk:I have a little free time today, do you mind if I go there?

--At her surprise, Jessy sat up her bed.

Jessy:  what?! [minhyuk. In my house. Today. Process it jessy, process]

Minhyuk: I said I want to go there.

--Minhyuk said, and chuckled a little like he knew how jessy reacted with his question.

Jessy: but..but you don’t know where this is.

Minhyuk: and that’s why you’re talking to me right now. Ok, give me directions please. Haha

Jessy: ah..min choding.haha fine fine.


 

Sungjae: (recall: “and you let her got wet? And you left her? you told her something that made you two quarrel, didn’t you?”) tss..why would I even bother thinking about her. (pulled the letter out of his pocket..looked at it. “mianhamnida”) aissh…I’m so going to regret this.


 

--Jessy’s father was talking to the dean.

Mr. hyun: is she doing well there, mr. park?

Mr.park: I guess so mr. hyun.

Mr. hyun: did she arrange what she have to do?

Mr. park: de.

Mr. hyun: alright. I think I can count on her now. Kamsahamnida. (Hung up)

Mr. park: [and who said I’m going to let her do well? After all that I did for this school? She’s just going to take over? Jessy babo…you should have just worked in your other companies..because this is mine.]

--Mr. park then gave his evil smile as if he was planning something.


 

--seolhyun was peeking at the door again, ilhoon saw her. He was going to walk towards her but she ran again. and that left our poor hyunsik confused again.


 

--Minhyuk arrived at jessy’s house.

Minhyuk: jessy!

Jessy: minhyuk! Konnichiwa!

Minhyuk: aigoo..you really are sick..annyeong jessy, annyeong.

Jessy: eh? Ah! De! Annyeong! Mianhe!

--Her eyebags were showing. She was in her pajamas. Her hair was a mess. And because she was out of herself, she didn’t think all of those and faced minhyuk. He sweetly smiled at her.

Minhyuk: I brought some fruits. Eat this, ok? How are you feeling?

Jessy: better.

Minhyuk: great. But you look so weak.

Jessy: ah!

--He held her by the shoulders. And like she felt a spark, she held his hands and put them away her shoulders.

Jessy: I’m perfectly fine! Really!

Minhyuk: araso..did you talk to your parents already?

Jessy: no.

Minhyuk: why?

Jessy: I don’t want them to worry about me. I don’t want to disappoint them

Minhyuk: being sick doesn’t mean you’re disappointing them

Jessy: maybe, but still. Ah! You better do great in your performance in our school!

Minhyuk: when am i not great?

Jessy: yeah, right. :)


 

--Mr. park called the agency that jessy told her she had a deal with.

Mr. park: she got lee minhyuk to perform here?

Manager: de.

Mr. park: I see..can you reschedule the performance next month?

Manager: excuse me mr. park?

Mr. park: I said reschedule the performance.

Manager: but she signed a contract on September 19…

Mr. park: it’s fine, okay? she knows this. Come on, I’ve been contacting you for your talents’ performances for so many years now. And…and don’t tell her that I’m the one who told you..i’m just doing a favor for her…

Manager: okay..then I’ll just give that day to other clients. Kamsahamnida for being so loyal to us, mr.park.

Mr. park: de. Kamsahamnida (hung up) let’s see what you’ve got little girl..


 

--They were seating at the middle of the garden of jessy’s house, drinking coffee. Oops, not for jessy, as she is weak when it comes to caffeine, so just milk for her.

Minhyuk: time flies so fast. I got to go.

--They walked to the gate.

Jessy: thank you for visiting me. Kamsahamnida, minhyuk

Minhyuk: get well soon ok? Fighting!

Jessy: fighting!

Minhyuk: ok, bye.

--but he was still standing in front of her.

Jessy: bye.

--she stared at him and getting confused.

Jessy: [why is he not going to his car]

--suddenly, he kissed her on the forehead and ran to his car. through the window, he shouted while smiling and waving goodbye.

Minhyuk: haige!!!

--Jessy waved goodbye and went inside the house, dancing and twirling like drunken ballerina.

Jessy: waaaaaa! He k-kissed me..ahhhh..if that’s the case I don’t want to get well from sickness..hai…lee minhyuk :”>…

Maid: kwenchanayo?

--Jessy nodded with her eyes twinkling.

Maid: I guess not…


 

--At the school…

Ilhoon: sungjae-ah..you’re not going home yet?

Sungjae: anyo..i have something to do..

Hyunsik: alright, we’ll see you tomorrow then.


 

Yoonari: choaya, there’s sungjae, maybe she’s waiting for you.

Seolhyun: de..go to him!

--Choaya was so excited.


 

Choaya: are you waiting for someone?

Sungjae: de…

Choaya: isn’t she right here already?

Sungjae: anyo.

Choaya: (embarrassed) who are you waiting for?

Sungjae: the president’s daughter’s assistant.

Choaya: weyo?

Sungjae: I just have something to ask.

Choaya: ok..fine then, I’m going home.

--and she whispered “jerk”. She was so irritated so she just went away.

Sungjae: what’s the problem of that girl? So weird…


 

--Then mr. kim arrived at the parking lot to go home.

Sungjae: oh! Ahjussi!

Mr. kim: de? (looked at sungjae) ahhhhh you!

Sungjae: yook sungjae imnida (bowed) mianhamnida for all the trouble I caused.

Mr. kim. Ok..i’m mr. kim, what can I help you?

Sungjae: I’m just wondering where’s jessy?

Mr. kim: she’s sick..she got so wet last night. She doesn’t even talk when I picked her up.

Sungjae: can I talk to her?

Mr. kim: are you asking for her number, mr.?

Sungjae: aissh…

-Mr. kim smiled teasingly and sungjae just scratched his head out of embarrassment.

Mr. kim: ahhhh..you young boy…already have interest in her huh?

--Then he slapped sungjae’s arm.

Sungjae: a-anyo!

Mr. kim: no reason to be shy..you’re a brave young man…I think I’m going to like you for her..

--Sungjae rolled his eyes but smiled.


 

--After getting her number, he decided to go home. And while riding his bicycle…

Sungjae: ahhh..i’ll just text her..oh damn..how should I sound sincere with a text…that girl is so bothersome even when she’s not with me…ah chincha, eotokkaji..i shouldn’t have gotten her number in the first place...

--Then a car passed, it’s horn sounded so loud. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep…

Sungjae: ah! Ah! Mianhe! [why do cars always want to bump me?!]

--Poor sungjae’s a magnet of disasters.


 

--at his house.

Sungjae: I’m here omma!

Mrs. Yook: oh! How’s your day?

Sungjae: it was tiresome..

Mrs. Yook: really? come, let’s eat.

--as much as he wanted to just forget what he planned to do, he can’t escape the thought of jessy being humble when she wrote the letter for them.

Sungjae: [I don’t think she’s going to make me sleep unless I call her…aisssh]


 

--Jessy was just sitting on the couch, remembering each moment that happened when minhyuk visited her.

Jessy: [I think I like him better now…minhyuk…]

Mr. kim: so, did somebody contacted you yet?

Jessy: eh? Who’s going to contact me?

Mr. kim: ah..i don’t know..i was just wondering..forget it [ahh..that boy..taking time to gain courage]

Jessy: (pouts) so weird..


 

--Sungjae was lying on his bed.

Sungjae: ah..what should I do?

--he was literally rolling on his bed.

Sungjae: fine, I won’t..i won’t do anything..

--his feet were kicking his bed and pillows.

Sungjae: ah really!

--he was getting so irritated with himself.

Sungjae: should i? then what would I say?

--he cleared his throat and acted cool. Then he pretended to call someone.

Sungjae: annyeong, jessy…

--crazy sungjae mimicked jessy’s voice.

Sungjae: *de sungjae?

--then back to his manly self.

Sungjae: I got your letter and i-I’m sorry too…

--jessy’s voice again.

Sungjae: * ahhh..chincha sungjae? You nappu seki!

 

--sungjae again.

Sungjae:  ah!!! Bye bye!!!

--and that’s how he imagined their conversation would be like. He scared himself. he put his phone away from his ear and gripped it tightly.

Sungjae:ah…what am I doing…she’s making me crazy..

--finally, he let out a huge sigh.


 

--Jessy was already lying on her bed, trying to sleep, when her phone rang. She answered it without looking who was calling.

Jessy: yes? Hello?

Minhyuk: good evening jessy..

Jessy: ah! Minhyuk!

--She immediately sat up and fixed herself as if he’s going to see her.

Minhyuk: I have a live performance on tv later..are you watching?

Jessy: de!

--She her television.

Minhyuk: that’s a relief.i thought I disturbed you

Jessy: no! not at all..

Minhyuk: can you watch my performance? I-i want to dedicate my song to you

Jessy: eh?! Alright, alright.

Minhyuk: that’s all, bye.

--Jessy searched through channels because she forgot to ask minhyuk. She panicked like an idiot.


 

--The same moment as (Minhyuk: good evening jessy..)

Sungjae: ok! I’m going to call her!

--He dialed her number and…

*toot toot toot…

--Number busy.

 

Sungjae: eh?


 

Staff: minhyuk! It’s your turn!

Minhyuk: de!

Staff: in 5, 4, 3,


 

--She finally found the right station.

Jessy: oh! Oh! Oh! There he is!

--Then, with his charisma that kills almost all of the girls, minhyuk sang.

Jessy: omma, am I dreaming?

--It was a peaceful moment for her. She slowly smiled.

Jessy: I never thought this would happen..you were right, this is where I’ll find myself..and I think I’m having it now…


 

--sungjae, on the other hand…

Sungjae: ok, again..

--he called her again and it rang.

Sungjae: oh! It rings!

--But no one picked up.

Sungjae: is it that she does not entertain strangers’ calls? Alright, again.

--he called again but the same thing happened. He got tired of calling. You can’t blame him, it is irritating to call someone who doesn’t pick up, right?

Sungjae: fine! I give up, jessy! I don’t care anymore! I’ve done my part!


 

--Minhyuk’s performance ended.

Jessy: minhyuk, gomawo…

--She smiled and got her phone to call minhyuk, but noticed the missed calls.

Jessy:  who is this?

(flashback): Mr. kim: so, did somebody contacted you yet?

Jessy: oh! Maybe this is…

 

--Without even thinking she called the number.       


 

Sungjae: woa!

--He was shocked when the phone rang.

Sungjae:  j-j-jessy? Cham!

--Opposite to what he practiced a while ago..(being cool)..he freaked out. He sat straight like what jessy had done when minhyuk called. But still, he managed to compose his self.

Sungjae: yeoboseyo?

*jessy: who is this?

Sungjae: woa! You called me back and you still don’t know who I am?

--And he even got the nerve to .

*jessy: anyo..who are you?

Sungjae: I’m your conscience…

*jessy: ok, I’m hanging up…[just a crazy stranger]

Sungjae: ah wait!!! It’s me! Sungjae!

*jessy: sungjae?!!!

--nth shock wave struck her.

Sungjae: de..

*jessy: what made you call?

--Sungjae slowly lay down his bed, trying to be calm. her voice soothes him.

Sungjae: I got my coat…and your letter..

*jessy: I’m really sorry…

--Like she forgot about her happiness a while ago, she became serious and just hugged her pillow.

Sungjae: I’m sorry too..i shouldn’t have told you those things..i shouldn’t have let the ball hit you..i shouldn’t have crossed the road so carelessly..and I shouldn’t have hated you at the first place.

--like jessy, he was also surprised with how much he said.

*jessy: are they…mad at me?

Sungjae: not at all..they were actually looking for you.

*jessy: really? Those guys are too nice..i’m so lucky that I met them..

Sungjae: ahhh..about what you wrote..

*jessy: that’s true, sungjae..whether you believe it or not..

Sungjae: you’ve waited and expect..and got rejected?

*jessy: not actually rejected but I think I’m going to be..

--She sadly chuckled a bit.

Sungjae: tell me…

--Then she was lying on her bed too.

*jessy: I didn’t actually plan to be in the school..i was going to find myself here in korea..you know what I mean? I graduated earlier so that I can have this time..because all my life…I’ve been obeying all my father’s decisions…

Sungjae: then?

*jessy: it’s hard to be in a family like mine..having your life planned by others..it ..and until now, I’m waiting and expecting my dad to finally say that..’it’s fine now, jessy. You’ve already done so much. you’re free now…and I’m proud of you….’

--Her voice trembled. Her eyes were getting wet. Sungjae sat up.

Sungjae: ah…don’t cry..it’s still great that you still have a father you know…

*jessy: i-I’m sorry…

Sungjae: you know what jessy?

*jessy: what?

Sungjae: if it’s not for your father’s decision I wouldn’t have…we wouldn’t have met you…

*jessy: you’re right…

--and although she felt sad, what he said made her smile.

Sungjae: and you know what? I think you’re great because you love your parents so much, you finished your studies and now, you’re even helping them in your family business…

*jessy: sungjae…

--She doesn’t know what to say. His words were exactly what she needed at this moment.

Sungjae: and jessy?

*jessy: what? You’re starting to make me laugh…

--She tried to act cool but she’s starting to cry.

Sungjae: I’m proud of you…

--and with that, sungjae hung up and let himself fall on his bed. He stared at the stars outside his window, wishing that somehow he wanted to be one of those stars that'll make the girl on the other line happy even just for one night; that after all the rain that the sky poured, he'll manage to be there and make her smile once more.


 

 

Jessy: sungj---

*toot toot toot

 --Sungjae got what he wanted, she smiled. But there’s one problem. She smiled with tears; like tiny raindrops falling down her cheeks; tears that were not made up of loneliness, but tears that were made by his unexpected care for her.

Jessy: sungjae, thank you…