Familiar

The Day the World Ended

Chapter 10: Familiar

 

 

You woke up the next morning next to Daehyun in Hyunnie's classroom. You slowly sat up and rubbed your eyes tiredly. You looked at the classroom clock hanging up on the wall. 9:47 it read. You looked around and saw everyone sleeping away on the floor. You saw Hyunnie and Zelo cuddled up with each other in the corner of the room, sharing a blanket. *Aww, so cute.* You thought and smiled to yourself. You sighed and stood up, stretching. "Daehyun...Daehyun wake up." You whispered. You saw Daehyun mumble something and turn around. You lightly kicked him. "Daehyun." You whispered again. 

He turned lazily with his eyes half open. "Huh?" He asked groggily. You giggled. "Wake up. It's about to be ten." You said. He whined. "Why can't we just sleep in? I like cuddling you to sleep." He said and smiled. You blushed at his comment. "N-No, we can't sleep in." You said. "Okay, fine. Just get the others up and we'll start planning and stuff." He said lazily and turned back around. "Planning and stuff?" You repeated and laughed to yourself. "Okay, everyone wake up! It's already almost ten! Wake up!" You said, loudly. "SHHH! Do you want to attract those things? Be quiet!" Himchan said as everyone woke up. Hyunnie and Zelo realized how close they were and quickly backed away, blushing. 

"Wake up. It's almost ten and we're running low on food." You said. "Relax Heeyeon. I've got plenty of food down in the cafeteria." Hyunnie said, standing up. "Okay, well what about ammo?" You asked. "Oh, I left that in the cafeteria. I figured we would be going back there so I left it there. I'll go and get it." Youngjae said, grabbing a pistol just in case. "Heeyeon, why don't you go with him. You know, just in case." Yongguk said. You nodded and grabbed your swords. "Okay, we'll be right back." You said and slid open the door, exiting the room with Youngjae following.

You walked down the hallway quietly, trying not to attract any unwanted guests. As you were walking, you noticed Youngjae looking around with his eyebrows furrowed. "Um, Youngjae? You alright?" You asked, snapping him out of his thoughts. "Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine. This place just...looks so familiar." He said, looking around. "Well, we can go look around if you want." You said. "Maybe later." He said, "Thanks." You nodded. Once you made it down to the cafeteria, you took out the key that Hyunnie gave you and unlocked the doors. You and Youngjae slipped in, closing the door behind you. "Okay, where did you put it?" You asked. "Over by the vending machine." He said and pointed. You nodded and walked over, grabbing the bag of ammo. "Let's take this up to the classroom just in case." You said and turned around, looking at Youngjae. 

He nodded and you both headed to the exit. Once you stepped into the hallway, you locked the door and turned to Youngjae. "Okay we should- Youngjae?" You asked once you saw him. He was standing there, staring down the hallway. His eyes were wide and his mouth was slightly open. "Youngjae?" You asked and turned to see at what he was staring at. It was a little boy, in a ripped up school uniform covered with blood. His eyes were lifeless, his face was pale. He was obviously a zombie. Why was Youngjae so shocked to see him? 

"No..." He whispered as the small boy limped towards you. You quickly held up your gun, ready to shoot, when Youngjae grabbed your wrist. "Don't." He said. "What? Are you crazy?" You asked, shocked. Youngjae slowly walked over to the zombie boy. "Youngjae! Are you crazy?!" You yell-whispered. "YoungIl." He whispered and reached out to the boy. The boy growled in response. The boy stopped in front of Youngjae and stared blankly at him. You were terrified, and Youngjae was completely calm. 

"W-What happened? How did this happen?" Youngjae asked, his voice breaking. He slowly grabbed the boy's arm. That was when the zombie pounced on him. "Youngjae!" You shouted and reached for your gun, but by then, Youngjae had already grabbed his knife and stabbed the zombie in the forehead. The zombie froze before falling to the floor with a thud. You ran over to Youngjae. "Are you okay?! What's wrong with you?!" You asked. He shook his head and fell to his knees, cradling the zombie in his arms. He let out a quiet sob. "Youngjae...what's going on?" You asked. 

"That's why this place was so familiar... that's why I recognized this place." He whispered and looked up at you with tears in his eyes. You quickly knelt down beside him, putting a hand on his back. "He...He's my little brother..." He said, voice cracking. Your eyes widened and you felt a pain in your heart. "I-I'm so sorry..." You said as he cried. "He's dead...He's dead. My little brother is dead!" Youngjae said as the tears fell harder. "W-What do I do?!" He shouted as he hugged his little brother. You slowly patted his back as he cried into your shoulder. "Youngjae...he's not suffering anymore. He's not one of those...things anymore." You said, trying to comfort him. He nodded. "We should do something. He deserves a proper burial at least." Youngjae said and looked at you. You nodded slowly. "O-Okay. We'll bury him later today. Until then, we'll leave him here and go tell the others." You said and stood up.

"Just leave him here?! We can't do that!" He said. "We have to! We'll put him by the stairs so we'll find him easily." You said. "It's not him anymore..." Youngjae mumbled and stood up. "O-Okay. I'll carry him." He said and picked up his brother. You both walked to the stairs in an awkward silence. He gently set him down. "I'm sorry YoungIl." He whispered and you both walked up the stairs. 

________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Updated! I'm sorry for the long wait! I've been so busy with exams and school work T^T I have 4 projects to do in a month and two of them are due next week. Wish me luck!