'I like puppies'

The Magic Diary

AN: Hi guys :D I decided to write the first chapter tonight 'cause I felt absolutely bored xD Hope you'll like it :D This chapter is mainly a flashback about how everything started...


 

I sighed... It was just another check-up, the same as all of them. My doctor, Mr Park would sigh occasionally as he examined me. I hadn't gotten worse since my last visit to the hospital, but I hadn't gotten better either. The problem was that the doctors had no idea what other medicines they could try to prescribe for me. I took each of them, but they didn't help. I still had the dizzy spells, the stomachaches, the headaches, the muscle pains... I barely did anything outside of school, just studied and sometimes hang out with my friends, yet I would still feel exhausted and sick by the end of the day. If it happened occasionally, most people would just say that I got the flu or a cold or something. But no. Every single day, I felt sick. And I hated it. I sighed and forced myself to smile at the doctor as he let me home finally.
 
I couldn't help but want to go home and write to 'Puppy'. To tell him how the visit to my Doctor had gone. I was sure that he would be able to cheer me up. He is my best friend, almost my brother. Yet, I've never met him. 'How can that be?' You might wonder. Well, it all started on a dark, gloomy day when I couldn't go outside, since it was really cold and windy. 
 
I was about seven-year-old, I was bored and asked my mother to let me into the library of our house. Yes, we had one. Well, our house wasn't even a house, but a mansion. It had been the property of our family for generations. So, I walked into the library, and started walking around. The bookcases seemed much taller than when I was with my mother or father and the fact was enough to make me scared. I gulped as I walked around in the huge room, looking for something interesting. I found an old, dark cabinet hidden between one of the tall bookcases. It was pretty creepy. I opened it slowly, afraid that a monster or a ghost would come out of it and attack me. I regretted going to out library alone, and all I wanted was to run outside. But being a kid, I was really curious, so in the end, I peeked inside the cabinet.
 
It was quite dusty, and it made me cough for some time. But soon, I stopped and I could 'explore' the cabinet freely. There were some old looking books there. I could read and write well by that time, but sometimes I still misunderstood the words I'd read, so when I spotted a book that read 'Dairy', I was surprised. I opened it, thinking that it would be full of pictures of cows and milk and things like that, but the pages were empty. Well, all but one. I looked at the book curiously and closed it, trying to figure why it was empty out.
 
 It was nothing special, a small leather book with golden straps. The pages in it were yellowish, even though the book itself seemed new. I looked at the front again. 'Di-a-ry...'I spelled out loudly, noticing that I had made a mistake when I read the title for the first time. 'DIARY!' I giggled excitedly, putting the word together. I hugged it to my chest and ran out of the library. 'Umma, umma! I found a diary!' I squealed when I finally found my mother, reading one of her favorite magazines. She looked down at me and smiled.
 
'You did, Kibummie?'she asked me. I nodded, grinning at her.
 
'Yes, umma, I did...'I said, but then I tilted my head to the side.'But nothing's written into it at all...'I mumbled. 'How can I read it?' My mother looked at me for a few moments, then started laughing softly. She stood up, putting her magazine down and hugged me.
 
'Baby, you are going to write into the diary...'she said and kissed my forehead. 'I'm sure your Grandma put it there for you to find it...'she added. I giggled and cheered loudly. I really liked the idea of writing into the diary. 'It's like writing a book~'I thought happily.
 
Without even waiting for my mother to say something, I ran to my room and searched my desk for a pen or pencil. I found one quickly, and grinned as I wrote into the second page of the diary. I didn't even check what was written on the first page.
 
Dear Diary,
 
I'm not telling you my name, guess it~ I found you, and now you are my book. This means that I am a writer~
 
Byebye~
 
I finished and looked at my work proudly. Of course, it had a lot of mistakes, and it was barely readable, but I didn't even know it that time. I closed the diary and giggled.
 
A few hours later, I had dinner with my parents and took a long bath. After that, since it was still early, I decided to draw something into my diary. I opened it at the second page, and my eyes widened. My short entry wasn't the only thing that was written onto the page.
 
Dear Someone, 
 
What are you doing in my diary? Find a new one to yourself! And you should introduce yourself, my mommy says it's rude if you don't do so! And my mommy knows everything! 
 
I like puppies...
 
I pouted as I read what had been written under what I wrote. It was a bit neater than my handwriting, and the writer, or 'who liked puppies' was really rude. My lower lip trembled and I felt a huge, fat tear roll down my cheek. 
 
Puppy,
 
This is not your diary. This is mine. You are rude, I gonna tell my mommy.
 
I wrote, my tears falling on the yellowish page of the diary. I walked into my bed and glared at the diary from there. Soon, I fell asleep, almost forgetting about 'Puppy'.
 
The next day, I woke up later than usual. It was spring break, so it wasn't a problem. I walked to my desk sleepingly, thinking that 'Puppy' was a dream.
 
Stranger,
 
Don't cry, please! I was very rude, sorry! I... don't know jokes like my daddy, but don't cry, okay? Do you like cats? Cause if you do, I can call you Kitten! Can I?
 
Puppy.
 
And thus, we became friends. I really liked talking to him, and I knew that he liked talking to me to. It was really nice to have a friend like this. 
 
Once I finally arrived home, I ran into my bedroom without even greeting my father and pulled out my diary. Even though we've been writing into it for many years, it still had hundreds and hundreds of empty pages. I didn't understand how, because when I found it, it seemed really thin. But now it wasn't. Not like I minded. My head was pounding by the time I found my pen, so I decided to only write a few sentences to Puppy.
 
Dear Puppy,
 
I had a check-up today. The doctor doesn't know what medicine to give to me. My head hurts, so I'll tell you about it later...
 
Kitten
 
I sighed and put my diary away. Slowly, I stumbled to my bed and crawled onto it. I curled up and fell asleep shortly, dreaming about how I found my diary.