Chap 7:Back

Maybe There's Beauty in Goodbye

Author's Note: HI PEOPLE SORRY I WAS ACTUALLY BUSY WOW. I found a temporary job at this "high fashion" store, my heart dies everytime a customer spend on the clothes cuz most of the clothes are like $SGD100++ The real pain is actually listening to the same playlist every single day, if it as KPOP I wouldn't mind but I guess KPOP isn't high class enough /sighs/  So most probably I'll update when I'm not working :/ 

 

"Please take note that you should cut on foods that are high in saturated fats, sugar and salt of course! Watch your diet Eun Mi-ssi, its very important for your health...and oh yes! You're exempted from strenuous activities, you can do stretching I mean but no running, okay?" The usual male doctor I see everyday adviced me, since it the the day of my release, I can't believe I'm finally out? I stayed in here longer than my own dorm, isn't that just... depressing?

 

"Neh... don't worry, I'll take care of myself well," I gave him an 'okay' sign with my pale fingers, grinning a cheeky smile as I go along, it wasn't a sincere one, but I had to so that he won't pester me again with questions.

 

The doctor who was near to his forties tapped my shoulder and gave me a weak smile, scanning my eyes carefully as if he was trying to read my mind. "I hope so Eun Mi-ssi, you better get going, you still have classes."

 

Those were his last words before he turned his back on me, I made a move to, leaving the place that I grew accustomed with, more than my own dorm... They took care of me well, but I wondered, whether I could take care of myself well on my own? They were kind enough to wash my clothes for me, so I was now in my hoodie and shorts, walking lifelessly towards my dorm. As I was on my way, I got a feeling that people were staring at me. I caught a glimpse of a group of people and all of them were snickering at something, and I knew that something... was me.

 

 

 

I opened the door of my room lazily, the lights automatically lit the room as I entered it. The bed was still unkept since the last time I was here. I collapsed my whole body onto it and cuddled on my pillow. My face was buried in the soft fabric, my eyes were closed as I tried to mentally prepare myself for the worst. I might be an outcast... but at least I have my partner?

"Snap out of it Eun Mi, you've classes to go to!" I said to myself while looking at the light source on my ceiling, it was as if I was deliberately trying to blind my eyes. I didn't want to see my classmates now, I wasn't ready. I got up slowly, tidying my tangled hair with the ends of my fingers, and then I tied it in a messy bun. I searched around my room for my necklace, but it wasn't there. "! I thought I placed it in here, somewhere?!?" I bent down, skimming the dusty underside of my bed. Unfortunately, my necklace still couldn't be found. Looking at my gear I only had 10mins left till my next class...damn combat class. I hope it won't be too vigorous...

 

 

I exited my room feeling half helpless and depressed. Hoya can't always do push ups for me? I mean he has nice arms but really, I can't believe I can't even keep a necklace properly.
 

 

"Haven't seen you for 10 years," Dongwoo just came out from his room, wearing a grey hoodie with little wings attached to its back. "You're fine now, right?" His face became serious, his sharp eyes glistened under the light.

 

"Yup, I'm fine," I mustered my courage to give a fake smile, trying to hide the obvious mixed feelings I felt just now.

 

Dongwoo clasped his hands together in delight, "Wow that's great! Finally I won't be so lonely anymore. I miss seeing your face haha," his gum smile shone brightly.

 

You missed me? But we hardly know each other...

 

His eyes blinked for a moment as if he remembered something on his mind, "Oh before we go for combat class, I found this near your doorstep," he grabbed somthing from his pocket, my necklace dangling in between his soft fingers.

 

"MY NECKLACE?!? Oh my god I thought I lost it," I sighed in relief as I snatched the necklace away from him, looking at it longingly as the crystal gem sparkled, I didn't know it was this beautiful. "Thank you so much! Really."

 

I expected a reply, or at least a laugh from him. But it was weirdly quiet. When I looked up Dongwoo was smiling like a dork, oblivious that I was actually judging him secretly.

 

"Dongwoo-ssi?" Wow what is he imagining on his mind? He still didn't notice me.

 

"Aahh my heart...its aching," I acted as if I was about to faint, scrunching my face uglily to make it more realistic. I mean I need some entertainment in my life don't I?

 

His facial expressions changed instantly, his hands gripped my shoulders as his voice wavered, "You're in pain?! I'll take you to the doctor! Hold on-"

 

"Yes I'm in pain cause you were in neverland for a really long time. What were you imagining?" My arms crossed, I was back in my 'healthy' state.

 

His cheeks were blushing, he avoided looking at me in the eye, "N-Nothing... I wasn't thinking about anything," He scratched his ears shyly, "We're going to be late for class..." He glanced at me shortly before making a move, while I followed suit. He was walking really fast, and it made his wings jerk up an down. Which I found it kind of cute...

 

"And don't you joke about your health...I was really worried there," 

 

I had the urge too see his expressions while he said those words, but I couldn't really go up to him cause the corridor was so narrow. I didn't know whether I was experiencing a pre heart attack, but my heart palpitated quite fast. Why am I feeling amused right now?

 

 

 

We reached the place promptly, Dongwoo hurriedly went to Sunggyu and a guy that I didn't recognize. He had really beautiful complexions, his eyes were big and his hair was in a shade of hazelnut brown. I quickly looked for my partner and again he was stretching at one corner.

 

"Hey..." I said. Tucking in a strand of hair behind my ears.

 

"Oh hey princess," he smirked. Today he had his fringe down, covering his masculine eyebrows. "You better do some stretching before the real simulation starts."

 

"Simulation?" I questioned. We were only in a small room. There was a woman with blonde hair and red spectacles sitting at the side, analyzing the multiple of screens in front of her. Beside the large screen for monitoring the performances by each of us, there was a door that looked like it was made of heavy steel.

 

"So who's going first?" The lady turned her seat around to face us, her face quite monotonous as she squinted her eyes when she lowered down her specs. 

"Watch and learn," he leaned his head close to my ear, tickling my right ear with his hot breath which made me shiver. He stepped in front of the crowd, looking ever so confidently at the blonde lady. 

"Level 4 witch, give me the highest difficulty, please Steph," he said.

"As per usual the elite wants to show off," Steph rolled her eyes at his smug attitude.

 

The door automatically opened in front of Hoya, entering the simulation steadily with his hands buried in the pockets of his sweatpants. All of us stood in front of the screen monitoring nervously, especially me as it was my first time. The room that Hoya was in evolved into a narrow alley way, wet and soaked from the rain that was still ongoing. The alley way was dark and humid, evident that it was night time as the lamp by the streets twitched in the dimness. Hoya covered his head with his hood as a cover from the rain. The witch was standing at the dead end of the alley way, his short brunette hair soaked in the rain. He was taller than Hoya, but he was thin and quite tanned. His arms were covered in tattoos, and a dragon tattoo spiraled around his neck. Hoya's crystal gem was clouded in black, as if the gem was covered in irresistible black ink. The witch gave no time and straight away attacked Hoya with the bricks on the wall that he could control, shooting it in full speed at Hoya. Despite the sudden attack, Hoya could dodged them swiftly, his hands still in his pockets.

 

What a show off.

 

With his hands outstretched, Hoya shot his opponent with a fire blast. The red flames travelled violently across the narrow path, but the witch agilely jumped over the blast, moving his body upwards as he grabbed the window sill of an apartment with his solid hands. His body hanging in the air momentarily before he landed on the ground safely. The fire blast that failed to descend onto the enemy become a dark cloud of smoke as it rebounded from the brick wall. The enemy took out a knife from his sleeves and abruptedly charged towards Hoya, incoherently waving the weapon in front him. Hoya on the other hand bent down to duck his enemy, and did a blazing kick onto his abdomen. The enemy collapsed onto the ground, grunting as he fumbled to stand up. The rain grew heavier and Hoya's face hardened. Hoya tried to throw a fiery ball at him, but it dissipated into smoke half way through. The enemy took this chance to escape, running aimlessly to the stairway outside the apartment.

 

 

Hoya took a deep breath before putting out both of his hands towards the stairway, his eyes glowered in red, as if he was possessed by a demon. A huge and strong flame came out from his palms, as if it was a fire tornado eating the stairway alive. The metal stairway gave in and melted like an ice cream that would liquefy under the summer heat. The enemy's groan echoed across the alley as his skin blistered under the heat. Although he was placed in a difficult position, he still wouldn't surrender. The enemy grasped onto the nearest window sill, using all his strength to climb upwards. He stood on top of the petruding air vent, his eyes focused on the ground Hoya was standing on. All of a sudden, the ground cracked into half. Hoya stepped out from the cracks and was now looking at his sorroundings. The enemy was converging the crusts towards each other, making the space between the two walls to shrink, as if he wanted to squash Hoya between those walls deliberately. Hoya ran towards the direction of where his enemy was located, wasting no time as the walls were now inches away from him. He stepped onto the closed dumpster, limiting the distance between him and his enemy. He knew if he was too far away, his power would be of no use as it would just deplete into smoke. He was now at least 2 metres away, his enemy was now too tired to move as he was clutching over his wounds with his hands. Hoya took a big gulped and then with all his might jumped towards the air vent, grabbing his enemy's leg. The enemy lost balance and fell on top of the ground with a loud thud. He was coughing out blood with his tears streaming out of his eyes. The shifting of the ground stopped, Hoya took this chance to steal the knife away from him, and mercilessly stabbed him in the heart. The hologram disappeared and everything went back to normal. 

 

Do I have to be this cruel to survive? Aren't witches human too?

 

"Well well everything under 3mins, a new record for Mr.Elite?" Steph congratulated Hoya, but he still felt dissatisfied.

 

"Good timing but bad approach, you should have conserved your powers," Sunggyu commented. Well that was unecessary.

 

"I know," Hoya glared back. Man this tension.

 

"Hahaha, come on guys its just a simulation," Dongwoo came in to make the mood lighter, smiling dumbly at both of them. Hoya shook off Dongwoo's hand that was just on his shoulder, looking quite pissed that he somehow screwed his performance. 

 

"So who's next?" Steph shrugged as she tried to ignore the small commotion that just happened. One by one the others tried the simulation, most of them trialing for level 2's and level 3's. So far only Sunggyu and Hoya tested for a level 4 witch. Sunggyu was brave enough to confront 2 witches alone, he effortlessly controlled them like dolls, making use of one of them to kill the other. He didn't idle at all, most of the time he would try the physical approach instead of depending on his powers. Dongwoo had amazing speed, dodging the witch's attack the smoothest out of the rest. He was smiling all the way till the end, which kind of scared me... And the beautiful guy had the power to absorb his enemy's power, making him his own when he is able to touch his opponent. 

 

I was waiting patiently for my turn, I felt apprehensive. What if I messed up big time here? I didn't even have the experience. Basically I was the last one to go. Everyone was now staring at me like I was an exhibition, my hands were now clammy in sweat and my face flushed in the heat of the nervousness I felt. 

 

"Don't worry, its not real," Steph explained, "And I heard lots of good things from the higher ranks, the ability to control and change the original state of the object in great mass? That's a first-"

 

"What do you mean by that?" I inquired.

 

"Controlling things in 'great mass', not everyone has that ability Miss Eun Mi-ssi? Eun Mi right?"

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Well then, let me give you a level 2 witch with an easy setting, it won't be too hard just chill," she patted my back. Thanks for the 'encouragement'.

 

I stepped into the simulation, a cold breeze wafted across me and I was now on top of a school rooftop that was sorrounded by wired fences. In front of me was a young girl who still had her uniform on. She had no weapons with her, but like other witches. she dashed in front of me. Feeling the urgent need to defend myself, I grabbed the dustbin near me and threw it in front of her quite weakly, but it was good enough as she stumbled over it and fell. She cursed under her breath and stood back up, her knees swollen and red. Out of nowhere, she shrieked out a high pitch, my head engulfed in sudden agony as I wasn't able to think straight. She came closer to me, savagely pinned me down the ground and tried to strangle me. I coundn't breathe. I tried to push her away but she wouldn't budge. At the corner of my eyes I saw an air conditioner unit near the ladder. I had an idea but I just couldn't control it with my hands like the others always do. 

 

Come on work! Why won't you budge!?

 

My face was now red, she said its not real but I feel like I could die any second now. All of a sudden the hologram disappeared, I was alone, lying on the floor gasping for air. 

 

Well that was ing smooth.

"Its okay, since its your first time, you'll get it in no time," Steph comforted me with her words as I exited the simulator, the others just yawned or either laughed at my failed attempt. Its only a level 2 and I can't even kill her!

 

Wait.

Did I just say "kill" without any effort at all?

All of a sudden, I had the thirst to kill.

What is happening?