The Beauty as The Geek

She's Not a Queenka!

 

*school bell rings*

The school has ended right after the bell rang. You looked up to the clock on the wall, tugging one side of your hair behind your ear and pushed that heavy-prescription looking spectacles of yours higher on your nose bridge, but you were still struggling to write the notes off the blackboard.

“Aishh!”
You looked back down on your notes, scribbling quickly but neatly on your notebook.

“Jae Min-ssi, please bring these notes back into the office later; you seems to be the last one to hand them in.”

You did not respond to what the teacher said, and continued writing those never ending notes.

“It was all because of you asking me to put down those notes on the board, that’s why! Really…”
You whispered softly while the sound the pencil tip made on the paper covered it.

No one really cares how you feel, at school. Your name is Son Jae Min, studying in the 3rd year of high school, but never felt like a senior. Your schoolmates order you around as if you were the maid in the school area; even some of the teachers do so.  You were too kind to reject them, since they usually ask in a nice way. At least, with a ‘please’ and ‘thank you’.

You finally finished all the copying a few minutes later. At the moment when you stood up from your seat and were ready to pack up, you had already realized that there was no one else left in the class. You pushed your spectacles higher again as it slipped down through your nose.

After handing in the notes to the office for your teacher, you ran as fast as you possibly can to your locker. Your bag was heavy; always when it glides down from your shoulder, you straightened the shoulder pad properly. Your spectacles also kept slipping down.

Perhaps, it was because of your appearance that made you looked weak and were nice to be ordered around. Perhaps, you were too friendly. Perhaps, you made people jealous of you because you were the only ‘not-so-okay’ looking person who befriends the Ulzzangs. Perhaps, perhaps… You had thought of the reasons for a very long time, and the only one that matches it the most is because of your nerdy appearance. You are the type of person who seems to only study and do not have some fashion sense in you at all.

You reached your locker and opened it up as if it would be stuck at the door and does not open. Strongly and hardly you pulled, but probably the bubblegum isn’t sticking on the lock today.

You threw all the books you pulled out from your bag into it, and then shut the door gently this time. There was a shadow behind it…

“Annyeong!”
From there he shouted.
“Omo! What is this?!”
He smiled innocently and waved as if he didn’t know you were really shocked. You looked at him by blinking your wide opened eyes a few times.

Park Tae Jun is the seniors to all of the Kingkas at school. ‘Legend’ is his nickname. The nickname wasn’t just given because he is famous at school, but because of what you can maybe thought of him as the most well-known Ulzzang in South Korea, also one of the very first Ulzzang who has made a big success in his life with his face.

“Jae Min ahh! You are late already did you realize that?”
He looked into his casual watch as he mentioned.

You joined in to look into it and when you realized the time was already 30 minutes since the bell, you closed your mouth from gasping loudly and looked at him with those big widened eyes again.

“So what you should do is…”
He chuckled a little along with his word but you cut it of straight away.
“Oppa! Please drive me to work!”

You and Tae Jun are really close friends since both of you were in the 1st year of middle school. He was also the kind of person, who would get beaten up by people because of his lack of confidence to face everything, but now he has change a lot; from a normal student to now, a million dollar income online fashion company owner.

Many of your schoolmates, literally all of them, were jealous of you because you were able to keep in touch with the Ulzzangs easily without efforts. But what they didn’t know is a secret that was very well kept in you.

 

 

“I say, Jae Min ahh, why didn’t you just look proper at school?”

Tae Jun looked at you at the passenger seat every once in a while when he drives along the road to your workplace. You already looked very different from your nerdy appearance; not the girl with her hair left out not tying it, the girl who has the heavy-prescription looking spectacles nor the girl that looked weak and can be easily bullied.

You were applying a few coats of mascara on your lashes together with a bit of the tinted lip balm on your lips and some concealer and foundations underneath your eyes to cover up the fairly heavy dark circles from late night studies. You have got your hair tied up in a high bun, leaving the bangs straight down on the forehead. These simple makeovers had easily turned yourself into a beauty Ulzzang.

“Charmaine! …”
You burst out into laughter as he called you by another of your name; your stage name.
“Are you not going to answer me?”
He chuckled again when he was talking.
“Am I not? I was just being myself at school! Wasn’t I like that since the first time you saw me?”
“Idiot, no you don’t have those spectacles that time!”
You were just giggling to it.
“Idiot!”
“Yahh! Stop calling me Idiot!”

 

 

Both of you arrived at Tae Jun’s company after the drive and your workplace is exactly where you are. You appeared as an Ulzzang naming Charmaine right now, who is one of the models of Tae Jun’s company, who is mysteriously pretty though with the slightest imperfection but would still look perfectly cute. You were wearing a pink t-shirt with a denim shorts and a pair of canvas shoes, together with your classy sunglasses.

He went over head of you and opened the door offering you to enter the little building.
“Welcome again, Charmaine.”
He smiled sweetly. You responded just the same way too as you passed by him.

The place for photo shooting wasn’t really big in actual fact, but the interior design was very fine. You still looked around the place for a little while even though you have seen it for quite a lot of times. You then shifted your sight to your colleagues, looking through all of them through the mirror while the stylist was finishing off your makeup.

“Chi Hoon oppa isn’t here today.”
You almost jumped out from the chair when an eerie voice suddenly can be heard from near behind. Luckily the stylist was just looking for an eye shadow to apply. You quickly turn your head to face the back, and found that your BFF Hong Young Gi was the one who did it. Still shocked, you can hardly speak.

“S-so?!”
She stuck her tongue out cheekily but cute.
“Don’t tell me you’re not looking for him, Charmaine.”
“Of course I’m not! It’s best if he’s not around! Who would want to see that ‘old man’?!”

Soon, you imitated Chi Hoon’s way of speaking, turning yourself into a cool, expressionless face.
“”Is that so?” Pfft! He always tries to act cool in front of people…!”

“Stop!” Young Gi cut off your words and continued, “You’re explaining too much.”

She pulled out the seat from the makeup table and sat on it casually, fixing her bangs to the side while looking into the mirror. Then, there came Ho Jun Yeon checking on his new polished nails. He spoke to you about Chi Hoon again.

“He went out for outdoor shooting today, probably won’t be back until the evening.”
“No wonder I didn’t see him at school today. Hahh… It must be tiring for him, poor Chi Hoon oppa.”
Young Gi lay back on her chair as she answered.

You were just quietly letting the stylist to continue on your makeup, thinking about Chi Hoon’s absence at the same time.

 

 

The photoshoots started soon after. You were all into the character of today’s theme, posing professionally while the lighting kept flashing once the shuttle made its sound. At this moment, the staff members looked at you in admiration, thinking of you as one of the famous Ulzzang who appears a lot in the magazines.

See, people’s attitudes to you changes whenever you switch from a nerd to an Ulzzang, and back from an Ulzzang to a nerd. You couldn’t help but felt unfair about the fact.

“Why do people judge based on the apperence?”