Farther Away

Mnet Mash Up

Everyone washed up after dinner and ALPHA made their way back to the tents. So Yeon quickly dashed to the tent and jumped inside, followed by Min Jung and Shin Ah.

You casually walked back to the tent area, after watching the others run towards the tent.

“I’ve gotten used to it now… I could only avoid it for the first night and then I just gave up afterwards.”

You looked into the camera and narrowed your eyes and said “Confidence is beauty” in Korean, English, Vietnamese, Japanese and Mandarin.

“Where did you learn all these languages?” the VJ asked.

“I learnt Mandarin from EXO-M oppas and Hyunseong oppa taught me Japanese,” you laughed, “That was the first thing that I ask to learn.”

“Oh! Why are there four tents?” you asked.

You’re not in Alpha.

“But I’m a girl! Plus, I just went through that thing you call ‘Halloween Horror Night’ to find dinner!” you whined, “You want me to sleep alone?”

Think about it this way, Minwoo is in the same boat too.

The scene changes to everyone finally getting into their tents and telling each other good night.

“Good night everyone!” you sung out.

“Good night!” everyone replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning, the writers approached your tent and Minwoo’s tent.

“It’s time for you to film a CF today,” the writer chimed as she opened your tent.

You were already sitting up and fixing your hair.

“Do I have to hide from the Ghostbusters to get breakfast?” you joked.

The camera turns to Minwoo who is crawling out of his tent.

Zombie Minwoo

The scene changes to you and Minwoo mindlessly getting onto the van. The PD gives Minwoo the mission card and he slowly opens it.

Minwoo brushed his fringe away from his face and cleared his throat.

“Today you will be doing a photoshoot.”

“Really?!” you looked over Minwoo’s shoulder.

“What’s the photoshoot for?” Minwoo asked you.

You shook your head, “I don’t know…”

“You will be filming a CF for the new skin care line that can be interchangeable for girls and boys.”

“Ahh…”

You turned your attention to the camera, “Do we get breakfast?”

The VJ and writer laughed.

Eating healthily is Boyfriend’s maknae, Jenny.

“Yes, you get breakfast.”

The scene switches to you and Minwoo happily eating while getting your hair done for the CF.

“Etteokhae? I saw some thick clothes being carried towards the dressing room… Minwoo oppa…”

“No worries, I’ll just stand near a fan,” said Minwoo.

“I wonder how our groups are going... Do they even know that we’re gone?”

Meanwhile…

The scene switches back the rest of Alpha and Boyfriend.

Sammy approached Dong Hyun, “Oppa, what do you think of Jenny?”

“She’s a good maknae but she and Kwangmin have become the ultimate pranking duo.”

Sammy laughed, “She has always been a prankster.”

“Oh really?” Dong Hyun asked.

“Let’s just say that if we add Ji Hae, it’ll become a deadly trio of pranksters.”

“How was Minwoo?”

“Minwoo is a great leader. He takes care of us even though we’re the noonas and he has already figured out our eating habits and made exercise plans according to it for our comeback. He’s a good brother and friend.”

“I saw the episode where he had to write lyrics…”

Sammy nodded, “He was having quite a hard time writing those lyrics. It was his first time, it can’t be helped but he ended up writing the lyrics really well.”

The atmosphere became slightly sombre, “It was the first time…”

“Eh?”

“It was the first time we saw Jenny cry. When she was learning the choreography… my heart broke… even though I’m not the leader, when you see someone you consider a little sister crying, it hurts.”

Dong Hyun nodded, “I know. It hurt us too. She’s always so happy; it was strange for us to see too. I think Youngmin did a good job comforting her afterwards though. They usually learn the choreography together now.”

Dong Hyun laughed, “Those two are the crying duo.”

Aww… everyone is getting so close together now…

The scene switches back to you and Minwoo who have already finished the photo shoot and are preparing to leave.

“The photo shoot was really quick today,” you raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah…” Minwoo agreed.

“Let’s get you into separate rooms for your interview.”

~~~~~~~~~~

You were sitting in a room by yourself, when the writer handed you the mission card.

“I have a lot of mixed feelings about these mission cards from Mnet…” you trailed off.

Then…

You pulled the note out from the envelope and began reading.

“You became a member of Boyfriend-”

The screen splits to show Minwoo reading the mission card as well.

“You became a member of Alpha-”

“- on the 27th of March,” you both read out together, “The original aim of this show was to prove which gender based idol group was better. With 23 days of observations, we have concluded that every group has their own difficulty.”

The screen goes back to full with Minwoo continuing to read, “With this conclusion being made... this test is…”

Minwoo stopped reading and shook his head.

The screen switches to you.

“… this test is now being terminated…” you blinked at the camera.

“23 days… that’s not even a month! Even February has more days than this…”

The screen goes back to Minwoo.

“I can’t believe it…” he scratched his forehead, “I didn’t even see that coming…”

“Oh! There’s more writing.”

Minwoo covered his face for a bit and then shook his head, “I’m sorry… I don’t think I- I’m sorry…”

The screen fades to black.

None of them could find themselves to read the final few lines.

“The rest of the members do not know of this. You are act as if nothing happens. We are not as mean as we seem right now, you and Jenny/Minwoo will be writing and performing a song for this week’s M! Countdown.”

Footage comes back on and you step into the van.

“Oppa, did you get the same message?”

Minwoo nodded his head.

You leaned your head against the window, “How do they expect us to write a song and act as if nothing happened?”

“Mnet… that’s really mean…”

Well… we told you from the start that it was a month…

“We have to keep this a secret for a whole six days…” Minwoo leaned on his head on the window.

“Let’s be glad that we both have had acting experience,” you gave Minwoo a weak smile.

Minwoo sighed.

You looked down at your fingers and then back at Minwoo and put on a brave smile.

“Oppa, let’s just make the most of it. Let’s write this song and let’s remember the lyrics and let’s perform the heck out of this song. We can do this.”

Minwoo looked at you and smiled, “Yeah. Let’s do this.”

The scene switches to Minwoo doing an interview.

What is your reaction in hindsight?

“To think about it, I’m still a bit… I’m sad. It’s sad. As much as I want to go back to Boyfriend, I’ve created a connection with the members of Alpha, it’s hard… is this what it feels like when there’s a break up?”

Do you think you can do this?

“It’ll be hard; lying to them… we can tell them about the song so yeah… Jenny’s resilience does make things easier. She knows how to stay optimistic.”

The scene changes to you and Minwoo in the studio listening to the instrumental.

“So how about it?” you asked.

Minwoo smiled at you, “We can do this.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Preview~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are in the recording booth recording your part of the song but it has been muted, only going off mute to hear you sing, “meol-eo-jin-da baby”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~