Episode 4 - Bump In The Road

Mnet Mash Up

 

Day seven…

9 AM – First mission

You and Minwoo were walking down a corridor in Mnet’s headquarters. Minwoo opened the door the door for you and you bowed.

“Thank you.”

Minwoo walked in behind you, “Oh, I recognise this is room…”

You nodded your head, “The room of betrayal…”

It’s been a week, you two. Get over it.

You and Minwoo sat down and the PD gave you two separate envelopes.

You opened the envelope and read the note before laughing; soon Minwoo joined you in laughing.

You showed the camera, the PD gave you the wrong mission card.

The PD quickly swapped the cards.

That mistake was done on purpose to make you laugh. Mnet PDs don’t make mistakes.

“Okay, we should be serious when reading this.”

Yeah, you should.

Minwoo read his card and his eyes widened.

Noh Minwoo, as a member of ALPHA, you must help the other members contribute to the making of their upcoming album.

“No way…” Minwoo’s jaw dropped and he stared at the camera, blankly, “But- no way…”

“What? What do you have to do?” you leaned over to read the card.

“Oh, you can do that. It’ll be fun!”

“I have to just write lyrics?” Minwoo asked you.

“Eung, and maybe compose a little bit. The articles weren’t lying when at least 80% of our songs are ours.”

Minwoo gave an uncomfortable smile as he nodded.

“Okay, you read yours.”

You obediently nodded your head, “Jenny Nguyen, as a member of Boyfriend, you must perform with Boyfriend. For the next month, you will be performing with Boyfriend every Thursday on M! Countdown.”

You stared at the card and rubbed the back of your neck, “So… one week to learn the choreography and lyrics?”

Minwoo looked at you and then back at the card and then back at you, “It’s okay. You’ll pick up on the rapping really quickly but the dance…”

You squished your cheeks together, “The dance is a completely different story…”

9:15 AM – Minwoo reports news to ALPHA

Minwoo stepped into the apartment and greeted everyone.

“Welcome back, Minwoo.”

“What’s your mission for the show?” Min Jung asked.

Minwoo stretched his bottom lip to the side as he showed the members his mission card.

“Whoa! Daebak! You’re going to help us with our next album!”

Ji Hae looked into the camera, “How coincidental is it that the day you get your mission is the day we’re heading off to the recording studio?”

Yes… coincidental…

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minwoo and ALPHA are now on their way to the recording studio and Minwoo is doing another self-cam.

Minwoo flicked his hair away from his face and smiled, “Right now, we are on our way to the recording studio and this time, rather than jumping straight into learning and recording. I will be writing lyrics.”

Minwoo closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, “I am so nervous right now that I feel like running laps around South Korea right now.”

That’s a lot of running… thinking about it makes us tired.

“I have written some lyrics or some ideas rather, on what I should write about,” said Minwoo as he leaned down to his bag and pulled out a pink notepad.

“I know it’s girly but it’s the only notepad we had at the dorm,” Minwoo chuckled.

Pink suits you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minwoo and Alpha step into the recording studio where the producer is waiting.

“Anneonghaseyo,” Minwoo greeted the producer who was sitting facing away from him.

“Anneonghaseyo,” the producer turned around and it was revealed to be Kangta.

The scene switches to Minwoo during an interview.

“I was so surprised. I didn’t expect to see Kangta sunbaenim. I thought it was just me and Alpha.”

Minwoo smiled, “I can’t believe that I got to see… I got to see Kangta sunbaenim in the flesh.”

Why don’t you just bring out your inner fanboy already?

The scene goes back to Minwoo sitting down opposite Kangta.

“So… Minwoo-sshi, do you have lyrics written down? Any ideas?”

Minwoo smiled nervously, “Um… they’re a bit… they’re still a work in progress.”

Kangta nodded, “I’ll let you listen to the instrumental first and you check if your lyrics fit into it. That rapping part is all yours so your write what you what to feel. Discuss it with the members yeah?”

10 AM – Jenny gets straight to work.

Instead of going to the dorm, you went and met Boyfriend at the recording studio. In your hand was a scrunched up piece of paper.

50 000 won to the person who can guess what that is…

You turn around to the camera and held up the piece of paper.

“I tried to memorise the lyrics during the car ride here and I have got that down but we won’t know until we get into the recording room,” you bit your bottom lip.

“It’s so nervous-racking. I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest…” you pouted at the camera.

Those cute expressions don’t work on us.

You stood outside the recording room and took in a deep breath before knocking on the door.

Jeongmin opened the door which left you surprised.

“Oh! I thought I was the only one…” you trailed off as you saw the other members.

Youngmin shook his head, “We’re going to record the song with you?”

You grinned as you walked into the recording studio and greeted the producer and rest of the Boyfriend members.

“Do you need to have some practise time?” the producer asked.

“No thank you, I’ve been warming up on the way here.”

“You’re efficient, I like you already.”

You laughed, “Kamsamhamnida.”

How long can this laughter last?

The screen switches to Minwoo who is nodding his head attentively as he listens to Kangta.

“With your lyrics, I don’t feel like it fits in with the message of the song. I’m just not feeling it. To be honest, it sounds like it’s been written very half-heartedly. Look, maybe you can pull it off when you start rapping. We’ll give it a go.”

1:23 PM – SM’s Recording room

“Stop,” Kangta shook his head, “I don’t think it’s working. Try to go a bit faster closer to the end; it sounds like your missing the beat.”

Minwoo pursed his lips together and nodded, “Are the lyrics not working?”

Kangta shook his head and Minwoo took off the headphones, with a defeated look on his face, “I’ll just write the lyrics again.”

“Okay, if that’s what you want.”

Minwoo despondently walked out of the recording booth.

“Minwoo ah, it’s okay,” Shin Ah patted Minwoo’s back.

Kangta spun around in his chair, “Look, maybe you should all just go home and take a rest. That’s enough for today.”

“Neh, sunbaenim,” the members all bowed before picking up their things to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an awkward ride home…

The members arrive back home with a tired look on their face.

“Do we not have any more schedules left?” Sammy asked.

“Unni…” Min Jung gave Sammy an uncomfortable look.

So Yeon patted Minwoo’s back, “Don’t worry about. It happens every time for us.”

Ji Hae nudged Minwoo, “Oppa, we usually compose and write about 20 songs and only about 5 to 10 are chosen. Don’t worry about it.”

Minwoo nodded his head, “I’m just going to head to my room… catch up on some sleep.”

“Eung, our next schedule is 7pm so just take a super duper long nap.”

“Gomawo,” Minwoo smiled half-heartedly before walking off to his room.

What are you really doing in that room Minwoo-ah?

Minwoo is listening to music, writing down lyrics in a frustrated manner.

We’ll leave you to it…

3:53 PM – Three days later…  What is Jenny up to now?

Dong Hyun and Hyunseong currently have the camera.

“We finished off the recording quite quickly.”

“We actually finished recording at around 11:30am and so we headed straight to dance practise so Jenny could learn the choreography.”

“No joke, it was really intense the past two days so we were unable to film anything… sorry,” Dong Hyun looked at the camera apologetically.

“We have been here for about four hours and Jenny has been dancing for about three hours and 45 minutes.”

Hyunseong looked at you with a worried expression, “We’re a little concerned because there is one part of the choreography that Jenny is having problems with and she won’t allow for a change in choreography.”

Dong Hyun smiled as he looked at you, “We’re proud of her though. She hasn’t given up. Our maknae is a fighter. The move is really hard because she has to jump over the twins’ head and spin at the same time.”

“Jenny-sshi, if you keep this up, you’re going to kick Youngmin’s head off,” the dance instructor shook his head and the music stopped.

You leaned against the mirror, breathing heavily and wiping away your sweat with a tissue. Keeping quiet, you pulled out a water bottle from your bag and handed it to Youngmin.

“You can go home, I’ll practise myself.”

“Are you sure?” Dong Hyun asked you.

You put on a smile and nodded, “I can’t show you guys my secret to perfecting dance choreographies.”

“Aye, this kid is always joking around,” Jeongmin poked your head.

Youngmin handed you back the water bottle, “Are you sure you don’t need us?”

“What? Do you want to lose your head? I’ll be fine!” you tried to convince the other members.

“Oppa, go!” you pushed Dong Hyun and Hyunseong towards the door, “I’ll be fine!”

“Alright, alright, we’re going…”

As soon as the members left, you quickly pulled out two chairs and placed them in the centre of the room.

“Jenny-sshi, are you sure you want to continue?”

You stepped back several steps and gave the choreographer the thumbs up. The choreographer the music and you began dancing. You ran towards the chairs and jumped, only to end up kicking the chair over when you spun around in the air.

We’re sorry Jenny…

You frowned as you put the chair up again.

“No, it’s meant to be like this,” the choreographer shook his head and showed you the dance, “Okay, from that part.”

Two hours later…

The choreographer has left and it’s just you by yourself in the room dancing. After many failed attempts, you ran your fingers through your hair and you were on the verge of crying.

“Excuse me, can you please turn off the camera?” you choked up before running out of the room.

No previews available.