~A CUP OF TEA~

Nu'est LO/\E Stories

Character:

Cheon Mary

 


Cheon Mary. Twenty years old and about to graduate from the university at a very young age. Many people probably thinks that you already have everything that you’ll ever wish for. Beauty, brains, kindness, courage… everyone thinks that you have it all, that you can do anything and everything because you have the talents. Everyone is looking up at you but unknown to them is your silent cry for help… for someone who is willing to listen, someone who’ll lend you hand whenever life gets too tough for you, someone who’s willing to take his time to sit down and have a cup of tea with you, someone who’ll never leave your side.

 

It was another day of chaos in your home, your father scolding your younger sister as if she wasn’t a six-year old kid. Your mother tired and annoyed at the ruckus making her talk like there’s no tomorrow, your younger sister crying out loud and then there’s you, sitting quietly amidst the chaos. You hated this set-up, everyone probably thinks that it has no effect on you… but they’re wrong, the pain it inflicts is far more than what they could ever imagine. It was as if your family is nothing better than a broken one. You are all together under one roof… but you couldn’t even call it a home.

 

It was hard for you… to pretend that everything is okay but then you quickly forget about it every time you step out of your house. Free… that is what you’re feeling every time you are at the university, exchanging stories with your friends, enjoying your cups of tea but then you’ve questioned yourself… is this the happiness you’re truly looking for? Will it last for long?

 

A CUP OF TEA

 

 “Where have you been?” your mother asked, one time you came home late.

“Just went out with some friends” you enthusiastically replied. “We ate a lot of desserts and I want to take you o—” you stopped when you realized that you were already talking to no one. It’s been like this. The saddest part of being known as a strong person is to pretend that this things, which obviously hurts you, doesn’t affect you.

 

At school…

“Waah, I almost failed! One more mistake and I would probably die the moment my mom sees this” your friend Ren sighed. He got a point ahead of the passing grade which makes him nervous. “But who am I kidding? I won’t even show this to her, hahaha. How ‘bout you?” he asked. “Mary?”

“Ah… oh… me?” you asked in a desperate act to save yourself.

“Well, you’re the only one I’m talking to” Ren replied. Then, he sneaked in the paper that you were holding only to see a big 93% written in red. “Whoa, as expected. You’re the highest scorer again.”

“But what’s with the highest point if no one actually cares?” you silently said.

“Huh? What is it, Mary? Did you just said something?” he asked.

You shook your head and grinned widely, “I said that you should do better next time!”

“Oh? But I’m not made for math subjects” he complained.

“It’s okay, you idiot, just study. I’ll help you, okay?” you asked then he nodded.

“Waa, I’m so jelly. Mary got the highest score again when almost half of the class failed” JR who’s walking towards your direction commented. “I hope I can do well in these kind of subjects but heck, no… I wasn’t made for this” he continued, acting weary as he sat beside you.

“You can do it” you cheered him up. “If you believe that you can then you can.”

“Easy said than done” he pouted and you smiled.

 

 

You sighed as you walked down the streets, here you are walking your way at your house once again but before that… you decided to have some sweets to liven up your, now growing tired, feeling. You went inside the usual café where you and your friends usually kills time. It is a chic café that offers good pastries, teas, coffee and a variety of good books to read. Since you were alone, you took the furthermost seat inside, the one near the clear glass windows where you can silently watch the dancing traffic lights and the waltzing pack of busy people passing on the streets.

“Blueberry cheesecake and wintermelon milk tea, ma’am” the waiter called your attention as he puts down your order. “Enjoy!”

“Thank you!” you said as you picked the dessert spoon and sliced your way through your favourite blueberry cheesecake.

 

You were sipping your cup of tea when you’ve caught a glance at the man sitting two tables away from you. You can remember that he is also a regular there and this is the first time that you’ve got a good look at him. He’s deep into reading the book he was holding. Beowulf. You quickly turned at the window when you saw him started looking at your direction, embarrassed that he might have caught you staring at him.

 

The next day, you went to the shop with Ren & JR and saw the same man sitting on the same table again. As far as your memory can recall, that man is always alone, you’ve never seen him go there with anyone, he’s probably not single because he looks so darn good.

 

The three of you talked about anything and everything that pops out in your mind. After about an hour the loud laughter turned into soft chuckles…

“Mary” Ren called your attention.

“Oh? Why?”

“I’ll get going. Promised mom that I’ll be home early today” he replied.

You nodded, “Okay. Greet her for me.” Ren nodded as he stood up whereas JR followed him suit. “You’re going as well?”

JR nodded, “Minhyun called me for our thesis project… I’m really sorry, Mary…”

“It’s okay” you replied with a smile so that they won’t worry.

 

You were now alone again. Stealing a glance in front of you, you saw that man standing up in his seat and walking out of the café. Weird, he usually stays late but maybe not today. You stood up as well, not to go home but to pick up a book from the shelf when you noticed that there is an iPod shuffle and book left on that man’s usual seat. You looked around and realized that no one is aware of it so you called the attention of the café staff.

“Baekho-yah” you called the buffed man. “That man… always sitting here seems to have left this…”

“Oh? Really?” he asked. “Oh, he really did. Aron’s not the type though…” he told himself. “Ahh… but we already had a handful here at the café, maybe you could return it to him?”

“Me?! But I don’t even know him.”

“But I’m careless, remember?” he asked. “I might misplace it if I’m the one who’ll keep it so you do the honor, okay? Just give it to him tomorrow…”

“But I have no plans of going here tomorrow.”

“Then now you’ll have a reason to go.”

Sigh. You little…” you gave up and took the iPod and the book. “Don’t make up stories like I stole things here, okay?”

He burst out laughing, “You’re the only one thinking like that.”

“Pffftttt” you silently laughed at yourself as you sat back down at your place.

 

 

The next day, you came alone at the café…

“Oh? You’re early” Baekho commented.

“Well, we’ve got no class and I’m alone” you replied.

“Ren and JR?”

“They’re busy… and I’m the only one who’s not” you commented as you sat down at your usual seat.

“I see… you had a lot of time in your sleeves… well, Aron might drop by a bit later. I heard that he’s going to a book signing event today. That reminds me… he was so excited about it… I think that one is his favourite author, David… David Ravenstone, is it?”

“*yawn* David Ravenstone?” you asked yawning. You are still sleepy because you had found yourself last night indulged in reading the book that you had found yesterday. “No way… Baekho…”

“Yes?”

“I-is this the book that he’s going to bring for the book signing event?” you curiously asked.

“Oh? Is that it?” he innocently asked. “Oh! That’s it! How will he get it signed if he had left it here?!”

“Should I bring it to him?”

Baekho shrugged his shoulders, “I think you should… I bet that man haven’t got enough sleep for losing it. He’s not the careless type after all.”

“Where’s the event?” you asked. “He better be thankful, I’m in the mood to laze around. Might as well meet the amazing author of this book.”

“Myeongdeong” Baekho replied.

“Ugh… not that far…” you sighed. “I’ll go then…”

 

 

You were quietly sitting at the bus, watching the busy people walk down the streets you decided to flip through the pages again and find that little note on top of the prologue page but you didn’t care less as the bus had finally stopped and you have to go down. You quickly saw signs of the book signing event but what made you disappointed is that the event hall is already closed.

Pouting… you found yourself in a nearby café and sat near the entrance just in case you find that Aron guy. You waited for around thirty minutes before you decided to flip through the book again, looking at the notes you suddenly realized that those are contact numbers.

“How idiotic, Mary” you commented to yourself.

You quickly get your phone and keyed in the numbers. You heard it dialling but no one is answering. Dial. Ring. Dial. Ring. But he isn’t answering the phone, or maybe it wasn’t his number after all.

 

“Ugh… that’s it…” you said as you shove your phone back to your pocket.

“Given up already?” someone asked.

 

You turned around only to see that Aron guy, holding two cups of tea, behind you. He is wearing a blue polo shirt. He smiled happily and sat in front of you.

“Oh! I finally found you!” you happily said.

“Find me? Why? Were you really looking for me?” he amusingly asked.

“Here. Your iPod and book” you said sliding the book on the table. His expression turned surprised as he saw the items you were handing him.

“Oh, you found my iPod! I thought I’ve lost it for good” he commented.

“Yeah, I saw it yesterday at your seat. Oh, and I’m sorry because I’ve took the chance to read the book. It was great though hehe.”

“Really?” he asked.

You nodded and smiled sheepishly, “Yeah, and I kinda want to meet the author as well that’s why I took the risk of going here.”

“Ei? Have you even finished reading it? Overnight?”

“Hell yeah, nothing’s gonna stop me once I liked reading something” you said. “But maybe because I can relate to the main character’s family issues that’s why I can’t help but finish it in one go…”

“Oh? Are you…”

“Heck no! I’m not from a broken family but… mine’s not that different…” you silently commented. “Haha, well, why am I even telling you this?! Silly me.”

“If you need a friend, I’m here” he said. “Y-you know, I’ve always seen you in that café and whenever I see your eyes… I can’t help thinking that you might be alone… you know… y-your eyes shouts it all. The pain… the burden… and it kinda inspired me to write this book. You might find it weird but maybe it really is… I’m always watching you from my seat. The way you exchange stories with your friends, the way you ordered the same tea over and over again, the way you look out on the streets. The way you sip on your cup of tea as if your worries are being drowned away by it and… oh ! I’m sorry…”

 

He apologized when he saw you staring at him.

 

“My apologies! I haven’t introduced myself yet, please forgive my rudeness. I don’t think that you can still remember me. I used to be in your Algebra class before, I’m Kwak Aron, but you might have known me first as David Ravenstone, the humble author of this book… A Cup of Tea.”

“Y-you are D-David Ravenstone?!”

He smiled cutely and pinched your cheek, “Yeah and I thought that you’ve already caught on it, Ms. Blueberry Cheesecake and Wintermelon milk tea.”

“Well, that was weird…”

“I really am...” he said. “And you might even think that I’m a freak for what I’m about to tell…”

“Okay… you were a weird and a freak!”

“I haven’t said it yet!” he commented with a smile and you chuckled. “Okay, here it goes… I like you and I’m willing to spend time with you to get to know you better… are you in, Mary?”

“Well, you are not just a weird freak but you’re also a stalking .”

“Mary?”

“Well, you’ve managed to know my name and I bet you know even more than that, even though I know nothing about you and… you probably heard the craziest thoughts I had told Ren & JR and I wouldn’t want you to get away with that…. I also have this small crush on you. So… yes?”

“Really?”

“Hmmm. No. I’m just kidding” you added.

“Friends?”

“For now, yes.”

 

 

 


Too lazy to proofread but here's another one ;') Hope you'd like it...