Chapter 32

Remembering You

 

“Ahjusshi, can you drive any faster? The car is getting away,” Hyojin said.

The ahjusshi nodded and sped up the car.

“Where are we heading towards?” you asked.

“I’m not sure, but it’s close towards the rural areas,” Hyojin said. “I barely see anyone.”

“What do you think happened to Daehyun and Alice?” you murmured.

Silence occupied the car as Hyojin collected his thoughts. “I’m not so sure myself, I was only told to protect you.”

“By who, who keeps telling you to protect me?” you asked.

“My girlfriend, RaeRin,” Hyojin answered. “Daehyun was the one that had helped us get together. RaeRin knows how important you are to Daehyun, so she told me to bring you somewhere safe in return.”

“Where is RaeRin now then?” you asked.

“I’m not sure, she disappeared a couple of hours after she called me,” he said. “She isn’t telling me something,” he murmured. “Wait, stop the car here.”

The car stopped and Hyojin looked up. He watched as the man came out of the car. He headed towards an empty looking building that didn’t look very inviting.

“We’ll get off here,” Hyojin said. He paid the driver and got out of the car. He headed towards the other side of the car and opened the door for you. He helped you out of the car and closed the door. He walked you towards one of the trees and hid behind it.

“I have to find a way to get in,” Hyojin said.

“Ahem, don’t you mean we?” you asked.

“Nope, I’m going in there, you stay here,” he said.

“No, I am coming with you,” you said firmly.

“Are you crazy? You can’t even see anything; you’re going to get caught and then what am I supposed to do? I already broke the promise to keep you away and bring you somewhere safe. I wouldn't exactly call this a 'safe' place.”

“But-”

"No," he said.

You heard some shuffling as Hyojin got up and left the hiding place. You sighed in frustration. **This isn’t how it was supposed to be…** you thought. Your grabbed your hair in frustration. Your head snapped up as a decision was made. Your hands began to tremble a bit as your fingers gradually found its way towards the end of the bandage.

 

Hyojin inhaled a gulp of air as he ran back to the hideout.

“Han-ah, I found a back door that we can-” Hyojin stopped talking. “Han-ah?” he turned around, hoping you were going to be there. He searched the surroundings, but found nothing. Something white suddenly caught his eye. He walked towards a tree and saw a long strip of bandage hanging on the branch.

“…” he muttered.

 

Your heart wouldn’t stop pounding in your chest as you hid behind a wall. You know that feeling when you’re playing tag and the tagger is just an inch away from you? Yeah, it’s not a good feeling now is it? 

**If I can see, then I am going in to save Daehyun and Alice, with or without Hyojin. If I still can't see anything...I'll stay** you thought.  Your hands began to tremble a bit as your fingers gradually found its way towards the end of the bandage. Your began to unravel the bandage little by little. You winced as the last strip of bandage slipped off. You squinted and blinked several times before your visions cleared up. 

You closed your eyes tight as you heard footsteps nearing.

“Poor guy didn’t even know what he was up to. He should’ve looked for the girl instead of coming back empty handed,” one said.

“Yeah, he came back only to receive his death,” another sighed.

**Death? Because of me?** you thought.

You waited until their voices disappeared around the corner. You stood still for another 15 seconds before you quietly peeked to see if the coast was clear. You headed up stairs where the men had come down from. Your lungs grasped for some air as you made it to the top of the stairs.

**If I ever make it out, I need to exercise more** you thought. When you stopped breathing heavily, you looked suspiciously at the metal door. You stood in front of it, not knowing what to do. **Get a grip Han-ah, you have to save Daehyun and Alice** you thought. Your hands trembled as you gripped the handle of the door. You took a deep breath, praying it won’t be your last before opening the door. You stepped inside and gave a small squeal as a hand suddenly covered your mouth.

 

Silence filled the air as the smoke disappeared from Raejoon’s gun. Raejoon stared emotionless at the body in front of him. A pool of blood began to form, getting larger and larger.

“Take him away,” Raejoon said without a second glance.

2 men immediately appeared and did as commanded. One grabbed the legs while the other grabbed the arms. They quickly dragged the body away from the scene.

Daehyun stared in horror at what had just happened in front of him. The trail of blood was the only evidence left.

“He dares to underestimate me?” Raejoon muttered. “Wrong choice.” He finally looked at Daehyun and smiled, “It’s not a pretty thing to see now is it?”

Daehyun didn’t say anything as he stared into the pitch black eyes that penetrated his.

“What is it? Cat got your tongue?” he laughed. “Oh, humans are just so fun to toy with,” he said with a smirk. “So easy to fool as well.” He circled Daehyun as he continued, “I’m sure you have no sympathy for that man at all. You’re just glad it wasn’t Han-ah,” he whispered into Daehyun’s ear. Daehyun flinched and tried to move away but didn’t accomplish much.

Suddenly, a man appeared and whispered something into his ears.

“Ah, she has come on her own?” he said. “Such a silly place to hide.”

Daehyun suddenly felt his heart stop, **She shouldn’t be here. Why is she?**

“Shall I go and fetch her, Boss?” the man asked.

“Go, and get her quickly. I want Daehyun to watch as she dies in front of him,” he said.

“No! Don’t you dare touch her!” Daehyun yelled. “Stay away from her!”

Raejoon only smiled as the man disappeared behind the door. “Sorry, no can do.”

 

“Han-ah, it’s just me, Hyojin,” he whispered. You stopped fighting back and relaxed when you recognized his voice. When he felt you stop struggling, he let you go.

“What are you doing here?” you asked.

“That’s my question to ask,” he muttered. “I told you to stay where you were.”

“Well, I’m not just going to sit there while you do all the work,” she said. “What if you die? Then what am I supposed to do?”

Hyojin didn’t say anything. “Yeah, I thought so,” you muttered. Suddenly, footsteps were heard outside the door. Both of you froze in place as you stared at the door. Your instincts were telling you to run like hell…but you just couldn’t move. The door slowly opened a crack and…