Play It Back

Write Me A Love Song

 

 

______________________________________________________________

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

“Sohee dear and Sunmi, come. We’ll take a picture with everyone downstairs.” My mom poked her head in my room. She winked at me and my stepsister and added, “And after, you’ll get to open your presents!”

That was what got a 10-year old me and Sunmi on our feet, laughing and joining the people downstairs.

It’s the 3rd Christmas since my dad died. Although we’re merry right now, we went through a lot to get here. The past two years were hard for us -- for both my mom and stepmom; for both me and Sunmi. But time really heals pain. And finally, we’re able to look at each other, greet merrily and celebrate as one family.

The big Christmas tree that was placed at the corner of our living room was adorned with white ornaments, as chosen by me and Sunmi. We’ve always loved White Christmases and this just adds to the feel.

“Oh, dear Sohee’s getting prettier each day!” It’s my mom’s best friend Mrs. Jenna Kwon. She gave me a tight hug, her bright smile never leaving her beautiful features.

“Well, what do you expect?” Mrs. Kwon’s mom who we all call as Grandma nodded at me. She was old but you can tell that she was also as beautiful as Mrs. Jenna when she was young. “She has this hot mom after all!”

They all laughed in agreement although I think I look more like my dad than my mom. Haha. I returned their compliments simply with a smile.

The Kwons have always been a part of the family. Mrs. Jenna and my mom have been best friends since high school and until now that they’ve got their own families, they’re still inseparable. They often arrange get-togethers too so we bond a lot although Mr. Kwon has never joined us…Mrs. Kwon would always just tell us that he’s busy with their family business. I guess it is that tasking to run a company especially as CEO.

Everything was going well and now it’s my time for us to gather in our dining room table. I was busy helping in preparing the table for the dinner when someone bumped into me hard and caused me to fall on my rear end…with the plates I was holding! “

 

"AHH!!”

 

*sound of smashed plates*

 

Ouch…that kinda hurt…

 

“AH! Sohee-sshi, gwenchana?”A hand reached out to me. It was Junyong oppa. He’s the eldest from the two sons of the Kwons. I looked up to him and he resembled an angel…uhm, okay, screw that. This is not the time.

“What happened here?” My mom and almost everyone from the living room rushed to our side.

I took Junyong oppa’s hand and tried to get up but I flinched when I felt a finger throb from being pricked. “I-I’m okay…”

“Oh no, Sohee, your finger.” Sunmi approached me and took my hand in hers.

I giggled at her. “Nah, it’s okay. Nothing serious.” Except I really hate blood…

Grandma clicked her tongue, “Do I have to guess who caused this?” I saw her roll her eyes.

I didn’t mean to but my eyes immediately darted off to Junyong oppa’s dongsaeng. He was standing behind Junyong oppa when our eyes met.

 

Kwon Jiyong…

 

How to describe him…

 

Well, first off, I don’t really have that much memory of him. There was actually a time when Mrs. Jenna went abroad and Jiyong was born there. He was there for almost 8 years of his life unlike Junyong oppa who studied here instead and accompanied Mr. Kwon. I grew close with Junyong oppa and actually thought he’s my own brother until Jiyong came back and that changed. However, I don’t have anything against Jiyong. I really wanted to be his friend, in fact. But…he was so distant…and I don’t know…closed?

Also, aside from the fact that he’s really arrogant every time we see each other…he’s never been friendly to me.

 

I was waiting for a simple sorry from him but he looked away, almost as if flustered from something. “Aish…it’s her fault she’s standing on my way.” He stated. And with that, he walked out of the room.

“Omo, I’m sorry, Sohee dear. Sigh, this kid.” Mrs. Jenna gave a pleading look to me and followed Jiyong, possibly another scolding.

“It’s okay, really!” I reassured everyone. It didn’t hurt that much although I really was expecting for a simple sorry.

“Alrighty, I’ll ask the maids to clean this up. Sunmi, could you treat Sohee’s finger?” Mom made us leave with a hand wave.

Everyone went back to what they were doing as Sunmi and Junyong oppa took me to the patio.

“Sohee, I’m sorry…Jiyong’s just so stubborn.” Junyong oppa started. “But he really doesn’t mean it. I hope you’re not mad at him…?”

Junyong oppa is such a good hyung to Jiyong. Sometimes I wonder how they became biological brothers to be honest when they’re so different from each other…okay, was that mean?

I shook my head at him. How can I be mad at Jiyong when he has such a hyung like you who worries for him despite it all…was what I wanted to say, really.

“HAHSJSHANA, that Jiyong!” –My step-sister’s language, ladies and gentlemen. Sunmi placed her alien-printed band-aid on my finger a little too hard. “…giving my Sohee a cut!!! And he wasn’t even sorry!”

I tapped her shoulder. “Calm down, Sunmi. It’s not like you’re the one hurt…haha.”

“Psh, I know…but…ugh, oppa! Are you sure he’s not adopted???” Sunmi asked. I slapped her lightly on the arm with a gasp. “Whaaaat? I mean, no offense but…okay he’s such a snob sometimes…”

“Sunmi!” I gave her a warning look and then bit my lip as I saw Junyong oppa scratch his head.

“Ahh, chincha, my little brother is quite a headache, huh?” He shrugged with a smile. “But he’s a good boy, believe me. He really didn’t mean to hurt you and I’m sure he’s sorry too. Please trust in him.”

 

Trust in him?

 

Somehow…his reply didn’t seem to come from the tiny accident we just had but from a deeper cause.

 

“He should show that good boy side first—aw!” I’m sorry, Sunmi. I elbowed you ‘cause it’s just not right to speak of Jiyong like this in front of Junyong oppa. He would always take his side no matter what. He told me that before…how much he’s willing to do anything to make his little brother happy. Apparently, Jiyong is troubled…Junyong oppa didn’t tell me the reason why but I think it was more than enough to have him this concerned.

During these moments, I really wish I have an older brother like him.

The evening went by and other family friends visited. For the first time in a long time, I actually felt that Christmas is such a nice season. I actually didn’t want this day to end.

 

Sniff. Sniff.

 

 

But…

 

Sniff.

 

I thought I heard someone crying?

I was standing on the patio alone while everyone was busy inside eating and talking. Sunmi went to sleep a little too early, that alien.

Sniff. There it goes again. I wonder what’s making that sound.

I was about to go check on it when the wooden floor of the patio where I was at creaked. I turned to the source and surprisingly, I found that the sniffing came from Jiyong. He must’ve not noticed me standing there as he continued to walk, wiping something from his eye.

 

“H-hey...” I meekly announced my presence.

 

“AH!”

 

“Ah!!!”

 

We both jumped in surprise.

 

Wow. That was stupid.

 

“Yah, don’t scare me like that!” He held unto his heart as if he saw a ghost or something. This boy -.-

 

“Don’t yah me. I wasn’t scaring you, okay.” I puffed my cheeks out on him. It’s a habit.

 

He looked like he was going to retaliate with another of his annoying comments when he hesitated and just let it go. We engaged in another one of our staring contests before he finally gave up and instead, heaved a huge sigh and leaned on the railings, resting his chin on his palm. “Fine.”

 

Fine?

 

Whoa.

 

Was the world going to end soon and he actually just admitted defeat?

Well, not that I’m complaining.

 

I wasn’t dumb. I mean, I have my moments but I’m sensitive enough to realize he just came from crying. I wasn’t close with Jiyong and I don’t think we’ll ever be friends but I can’t erase the fact that as a concerned human being, I wanna know why he cried…

Maybe he tripped over something and it hurts like hell but he tries to hide it? Or…poked his eye out of boredom? Okay, Sohee, just ask…

“Uhm…” I was just starting to make an effort of creating a healthy conversation with him (also thinking that Junyong oppa would be happy about it) when he straightened up and looked at me again in the eye.

There was an uneasy feeling when he did. You know…it’s like one of those moments when a person can see inside your soul. Only, this time, it felt like it was two-way and I think he might have let me in for a moment.

 

Hazel brown eyes…

 

“You saw nothing.”

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

______________________________________________________________

 

[PRESENT TIME – Detention Room]

 

Pop.

 

*chew, chew*

 

Pop!

 

“Can you please.” I pushed the mohawk guy beside me away. He’s been popping his gum right next to my ear for half an hour already. OMG

“Dude, leave our princess alone.” A tall guy with deep eyes sent a paper plane flying to the Mohawk guy’s face. “And man, change that gum! That sh.t loses its taste after awhile, dumba.ss.”

“Yah, hyung, who you callin’ dumba.ss!” And the Mohawk guy launched to the tall guy again and head locked him with his scary biceps. The tall guy made fake crying noises in return. That’s like the 3rd time they did that during the past hour. OMG

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

Also, there are these funny looking guys who have been staring at me and smiling at me for the past hour since Jiyong and I came in. I don’t know why the hell I suddenly became interesting…does my face look like a joke to them that they’re so amused with it?

I just looked away. However, I think it was a wrong idea too late because the guy on my other side was the devil himself. OMG

We met eyes for a second before I searched for another place to focus on.

 

Sigh.

 

“Yah, you two, would you stop that.” Jiyong pushed a chair in front of him to the two guys in front of me.

“Stop what, hyung?” The two blinked innocently to Jiyong.

“You’re making her uncomfortable.” His voice was a little softer when he said that. I scoffed, how dare he suddenly become conscious of my well-being now when he wasn’t even thinking that when he just tugged me into trouble and straight here in the Detention Room!

“But she’s so cute!” The panda-looking one happily cheered.

“Maknae’s right! How come I don’t see you often around, Sohee?” The no-eyes one asked me.

Actually, these two look the most approachable from the 5 guys here with me right now. But since they’re Jiyong’s friends, they don’t seem appealing to me as well. I just shrugged at no-eyes in response.

 

Maybe if I ignore it, it’ll go away, right?

 

Anyway, I only realized they were Jiyong’s famous friends when we came in a while ago and they were here even before us. They greeted each other like it was the most normal thing to happen. Can you believe it? All 5 of them in detention and it was only morning!

Is this their hang out place or something? They look like they’re frequent visitors.

They were surprised though that Jiyong came in with me today…or with someone for that matter. I am, too. And I’m not only surprised but real mad about it.

I didn’t know who they were before though. Yeah, stone me but I actually have no clue who they are before because anything Jiyong-related is none of my business. However, I’m here and they’re here and to follow formalities, we shared names.

This no-eyes one is called Kang Daesung as they introduced awhile ago. The Kangs are very famous for their restaurant and hotel chains all over the country, he said. Nice. The panda-looking one is Lee Seunghyun, he’s the only son of the CEO of the Lee Inc. I heard about their company alright and well, lucky guy. The Mohawk guy is Dong Youngbae although he asked me to call him Taeyang for some weird reasons. His family is a family of politicians. I know…doesn’t look like it. The tall guy is Choi Seunghyun. He’s really good-looking and that probably runs in the family as they’re a family of celebrities. He’s an actor, they said.

 

And they call themselves: BIGBANG.

 

I was such in a bad mood but I almost busted out laughing when Jiyong told me in a serious tone an hour ago. It’s like a name some children would come up with. Hahaha. Also, Kwon Jiyong is their “leader”. Probably because he’s the heir to the seat of the richest businessman in the country…

Aren’t these guys lucky they can have anything even if they’re such drop-outs?

Too bad, I wasn’t and I actually have to work hard for my family.

 

But now that I got this violation, I just lost my chance for scholarship.

______________________________________________________________

[Director's Office]

 

“I hope this won’t happen again.” The director said as he had his hands clasped together in front of him.

Jiyong and I stayed for some more minutes and had serious talk with the director. I guess I really crushed the expectations he had of me that he was utterly disappointed with my behavior. I was afraid of what’s going to happen…and now I’m here.

 

I just wanted to rewind everything.

 

“W-will I really lose my chance for the honors, sir?” I asked direct to the point and…almost pleaded. My mom would be so devastated. She had always wanted a bright future for me and I knew that getting honors and recognitions would truly help. And at the same time, I wanted to help take off burden.

The signs of expression from the director didn’t quite look good. “About that…” The director shifted his eyes from me to Jiyong. I knew he was asking him to leave.

“I’ll wait for you outside.” I heard Jiyong say beside me. I don’t know how to feel about that. I wanted to tell him to just leave me and this is his fault anyway!

When the door clicked, the director asked me to sit down. “Ms. Ahn, you know the school has been rooting for you. Out of all the students of Haneul High, you are the most promising and we commend you for your sincere willingness to learn. I wanted you more than anyone in the student body to be successful. However, your actions today proved to be a little rebellious on your part.”

 

“But, sir…” I heard a slight tremble in my voice.

 

“I understand that Jiyong could have led you into committing such a violation. But a violation is still a violation. If I let this go just like this, it might happen again. And you know we don’t tolerate even the littlest of things. We want to be consistent and be firm with our school laws.” He fixed his eyeglasses in place. “I’m very sorry but this record isn’t something we can just ignore as much as I want you to graduate with honors.”

 

Wait…w-what did he just say?

 

I was almost tearing up. The hard work I’ve put all these years in high school…everything will be taken away for such a simple mistake. This can’t happen! Not to me!

I had a hand over my mouth to keep myself from sobbing hard. “Sir, can you please just reconsider this time? I-is there anything I can do? I’ll gladly do anything just—”

It felt like I committed such a heinous crime…like I killed a person to deserve such a punishment. Just…this means so much to me! I had my eye on that scholarship for so long and it wasn’t even for selfish reasons. I didn’t spend all those 4 years studying sincerely just to be brought down like this. It may be just an award for some people but it’s more than that to me and to my mom. “Please, sir…”

 

He let out a sigh.

 

“I’m sorry, Ms. Ahn. I’m afraid this is what our handbook says and it is only just for us to follow it. Whether you did something on purpose or by accident, it still leads to the same end result.” I felt a tear fall. I can’t cry like this, I’d look even more pathetic than my life.

“Can’t I do something to make up for it? Just please, please don’t remove me from the list of honors yet, sir. I’ll tutor students or even clean the campus if you want. I promise to—”

He shook his head. “Maybe I’ll try to think it over but I’m not giving you false hopes. You know me, Ms. Ahn. My say is final. You may go and please tell your mom to come see me this weekend. I’m sorry.”

 

No way…

 

“Sir, I’m so sorry…please, please reconsider.” I felt that he didn’t want to do this and that he’s trying to just follow what the rules say. 

“Like I said, I’ll think it over…but Ms. Ahn, please prepare yourself for the worst.”

 

That was it.

He excused himself and called someone, dismissing the conversation effectively.

 

I just...nodded, unable to say another word.

 

My mind was clouded and I didn’t even remember that I got out from the office. It was like walking aimlessly to nowhere. I felt like sh.t for crying over something like this. Oh, how my day turned 180…

Really, I’ve only heard of stories like these from upperclassmen before. The faculty becomes even stricter when you’re about to graduate and many aspiring for honors most of the time get the chance taken away from them through simple mistakes. I should’ve been more careful. It wasn’t Jiyong’s fault but mine that I didn’t try my best to stop it from happening.

It was my choice, right? I could’ve not chosen to run away with him and let him drag me with him like that. It’s still partly my fault. I also brought this upon myself.

I felt another tear come down...

 

The director is right…a violation is a violation.

It’s only right that I be punished.

 

But isn’t this too much?

 

How do I tell mom? How do I survive graduation seeing other students take something I also deserve to have?

My mind was reeling with thoughts of failure and how I’d confess it to my mom that I didn’t notice I was already crossing the road…

 

I couldn’t hear anything…

 

Until…

 

“Yah!!! AHN SOHEE!”

______________________________________________________________

 

A/N: DUN DUN DUN haha sorry for the cliffie. Anyway, I hope ya'll aren't confused with this chapter. I added the flashback for the first part to give clues about the plot and to also enlighten you guys about sohee and gd's relationship.

Well, hope you enjoyed reading!! :)