Our Strings Attached

Write Me A Love Song

 

“I SEEET FIIIIIYAAAAH TO THE RAINNNNNNN. WATCHED IT POUR AS I TOUCHEDDD YOOOO FAAAACE”,

Oh yeah.

One of my favorite Adele songs is playing in the background. I held the bottle of shampoo like it was my microphone and proceeded with trying to get the high notes, with bubbles around and all.

Singing – it’s what I do 80% of my time in the shower. Not that I have talent in it…I just—you know sometimes I also wish I was some kind of superstar performing in front of people who love me. Although, there’s really slim to no chance that’d I’d be one with my usually timid self. I’m someone who’d much rather be alone in one corner, growing mushrooms, than have everybody’s attention. Maybe I just got used to not being seen…that attention makes me uncomfortable.

I don’t know, okay. I’m weird.

Anyway, I love singing no matter how much it may hate me in return. How I wish I had a beautiful voice like my step-sister, Sunmi, though. Sigh.

But what can I say? My invisible fans still love my pathetic concerts every time.

“I SET—”

“Ahn Sohee!!!”

Oh. By the way, meet my manager.

“YES, MOM?” I called out, much to my disappointment that my concert was cut short.

I heard some ruffling in my bedroom and knew I should’ve cleaned before I took center stage in the bathroom. Here goes another tirade of her sermons…

However, much to my surprise, she wasn’t starting her scolding. Good Lord, is this because she’s actually having a change of heart?

“Baby, hurry up.” She knocked on my bathroom door. “Jiyong’s waiting downstairs.”

Insert brakes screeching…

 

Hold up.

 

Who did she say was waiting for me downstairs…?

 

I’m pretty sure I heard…

 

HOLY SH.T I ALMOST FORGOT!!!

 

I scrambled into washing myself up as fast as I can. Oh my God, this can’t be happening!

Why did it slip my mind that Jiyong and I would be going to school together for this week? Ugh. That Kwon Jiyong is my school’s infamous heartthrob, by the way. He’s practically treated as a celebrity there by my fellow students. Because he’s rich and handsome – as expected, right? But there’s always some flaw in them. And for Jiyong, he’s a really awful student. Failing grades, numerous violations, and other usual delinquent students’ deeds – name it and Jiyong has done it. I don’t get why everyone’s so attracted with him though seeing as he’s actually a bad guy. I mean, okay, I may have went too far with my description there but well, you got the gist. And I’m actually scared sh.tless right now ‘cause I forgot all about him when the director specifically told me to keep an eye on him as the class’s representative!!!

This is so embarrassing especially since I’m supposed to be the one helping him to be a better student and here I am, taking up sweet time in my shower singing some heart-broken love song in unrecognizable notes. Omg, Sohee, what if he heard you!!!! Laughing stock again, hope not.

Oh and if you’re wondering why my mom /unfortunately/ knows him, uhm, not-so-fun fact: His family and mine are practically best friends.

Why aren’t I close with him when it should be given?

I don’t know. I’ve been asking myself that even before dinosaurs were extinct and still got the same lame reason that we’re just exact opposites.

I like studying. He hates it.

I like being alone. He brings a crowd everywhere with him.

I like to sleep. He likes to sleep…during the day after partying the previous night.

 

I hate arrogant mofos. He’s basically the King.

 

“So you better—OOF!” I almost slammed the bathroom door into my mom’s face as I blasted out into my bedroom. Good thing I had the knob in control or else... “AHN SOHEE, WOULD YOU PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR ACTIONS?! I WAS STANDING RIGHT HERE!”

“Geez, mom. Shhh, calm down, okay?” I said just above a whisper as I locked my bedroom door. Nope, can’t let Jiyong hear my rushing.

“What’s with you? And young lady, you made plans with Jiyong and you’re still not ready? The poor boy woke up extra early for you!” She continued but with a more hushed tone, “Wait, are you two finally dating?”

I actually have to stop dramatically at this point. “Mom, you’ve known me since I was in your tummy, do you think I’d date someone like him?” I kept my famous bored expression as I waited for her response.

She, of all people, should know that Jiyong x Sohee has zero possibility!

­­

“Well, he’s…”

 

 

Is she actually contemplating I would???

“Ugh, no, mom! We’re not dating, okay.” I turned around, dismissing the all too obvious disappointment from her. I dug into my closet for something decent to wear. “I’m helping him out because he’s on the verge of getting kicked out. Again!”

“Too bad, I actually thought you have a boyfriend now.” She said. I rolled my eyes at this comment.

“I’ll get one when I want to, mom.” And when someone actually finds me cute…which is never. I sighed as I finally picked the clothes I’ll be wearing. “Can you please go tell him to wait for another 10 minutes?”

She stared at me and my chosen outfit for awhile and then shook her head. She started getting up as she said, “You and your sense of fashion. Hurry up, okay?”

I made sure I scowled at her back as she opened the door to leave.

“Oh and next time I see your room THIS chaotic again,” Oh shiet, I thought she didn’t notice. She smiled cynically at me before continuing, “I’ll make sure to arrange your marriage with that Kwon Jiyong.”

 

“WHAT!”

 

“You heard me. I’m sure Jenna would love you to be her daughter-in-law as much as I want Jiyong as my son-in-law. So watch it, young lady.” She called out as she closed the door after her.

“Oh my god, that woman, really!” I huffed in frustration as I tried to fit in my jeans. “And what did she mean by my fashion sense?!”

I looked at myself in the mirror after being fully-clothed. Hoodie on faded jeans and my year old chucks.

“What’s wrong with being comfortable?” I puffed my cheeks as I ignored another possible train of insecurities to come, grabbed my adventure time knapsack and went out to meet my doom—I mean, Kwon Jiyong.

___________________________________________________________________

 

“Take care of my dumpling, okay, Jiyong-sshi?” My mom bid us goodbye at the doorstep. No, mom, please don’t leave me with this jerk…and the nickname…

Jiyong’s eyes and mine met for a good two seconds. I looked away, realizing he’s about to make it look like he’s a good guy in front of my mom. Omg.

“Of course, Mrs. Ahn. We’ll go ahead first then. Have a good day!” Jiyong handsomely smiled at my mom with a bow. My mom nodded at him contentedly. Wow, really, this guy.

I was almost sure he’s an angel…what when he’s smiling like that to my mom, with his light bluish hair and white v-neck shirt. I was really sure he’s some hope in him – until we’re finally alone and going to his car.

He was playing with his car keys, walking like he owns the neighborhood when he turned to me and said, “You know? You look cute today.  Almost like an elementary school boy.” He chuckled and then proceeded to the driver’s seat.

He told me I’m cute. Okaaay?

And then that I’m like an elementary student. Okay.

And…a boy. WHAT!!!!

That’s usually how he starts a conversation with me.

I stopped in my tracks and glared at him. Okay, Sohee, calm down. The Lord is testing you. After this, you’ll get a good referral from your professors and everyone will praise you for picking up a hopeless case and turning him into something more decent than dirt. Yes.

And the jerk had the nerve to smirk at me from inside his car.

What the hell did I sign in for, really.

 

“Yah, kid, get your over here or I’ll leave without you.” Came his sudden call as he closed his door and started the engine.

 

Wow, was he calling a dog or what.

 

I heaved a deep breath and walked to the car. I was kind of hoping he’d open it for me like how he does it with gazillion other girls at school but welp, I am only Ahn Sohee and we’re talking about Kwon Jiyong here so I guess I have to live without that. I positioned myself in the passenger’s seat and made sure I was tuck in my seat belt and looked straight ahead, trying to ignore the amused look I know he’s giving me at the moment.

“What are you waiting for? The Apocalypse?” I sternly asked, crossing my arms in front of me.

He merely chuckled to himself again before finally driving us to school.

It was a quiet ride. I’m glad he’s not teasing me that much anymore although the “elementary school boy” comment still makes my blood boil. Okay, so I don’t put much effort to what I wear but that’s just because I’m not going to school to model or expose skin to have guys drooling for me. I still don’t get the girls who wear high heels, dresses, short shorts at school, like aren’t those inappropriate? I’ve been sticking to shirts, sweaters, hoodies and jeans all my school life and believe me, it’s much more comfortable. Although, well, I have to admit that sometimes I feel envious that the girls at my school can look so beautiful…while I’m almost driven nuts by studies sobs

Anyway, his elementary remark is not the worst, believe me. He’s always into making me feel even smaller than how I already feel for myself. I’m kind of used to it but still get mad and take it to heart, you know? He’s the devil in disguise, to be completely honest.

“And weeeee’ve landed.” He stopped the car almost too fast; I almost slammed into the window shield if not for my seatbelt.

“YAH!”

“Haha, what?” He feigned innocence and went out. OMG did he even had a seatbelt on?! This guy is—gosh, my head is aching from his stupidity.

I immediately got off and went to his side to lecture him when—

 

“OPPA!!!! OPPPAAAAAA!!!!!!!” 

 

“O-OWWW HEY! WATCH IT!!! OOFFHSHASB!!!?!”

 

A swarm of lions, I mean, girls, attacked us. I was pushed to the ground soon and they still kept on coming! WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS GENERATION?!

“Move, b.tch! I got to him first!!” One blonde roared to the other.

“Hey!!! Leave my oppa alone! He’s mine!” Another hissed.

I stood up, brushing off the dust from this chaos on my clothes. Oh my god, how would Jiyong survive this time. “Hey, excuse me, but—” I tried tapping one girl’s shoulder but she just shrugged me off irritated.

“Uhm, hey, can you please—” Another girl ignored my calls and proceeded with squeezing to get to their oppa. UHM.

“Aish, how will I accompany that guy like this…” I scratched my head. I was about to walk away to the classroom alone when I felt a tug on my hand and I was being dragged to somewhere else.

“Yah, w-wait!”

“Shhh!” It was Jiyong.

He took us inside the nearest building and hid for awhile. Good thing it was the least visited one and the hallway is empty. He was messaging someone as I tried to recall what happened outside.

“How did you…” Was the best thing I could mutter.

After he tucked his phone on his back pocket, he smirked at me, “They were too busy getting ahead each other and didn’t notice me escape.” He replied with a bored expression as if telling a typical chapter of his everyday life. He tucked his hands inside his pockets and leaned on the wall beside us. “Let’s wait a little longer before going out. I’ll have my bodyguards containing the situation.”

I could only nod at him.

I’ve seen his bodyguards a lot around school. His group of friends has loads of them. Before I thought they bring them for show just to make it look like they’re untouchable or something but I came to realize now that they really do need them if they don’t want to get trampled by raging fangirls.

I could hear men actually trying to stop the “brawl” outside. “Wow. You live through this everyday…” I bothered to break the silence between us.

He just smiled and nodded at me before he looked away.

Right now, he doesn’t seem so bad to me at all…

Jiyong’s not too tall and not too short either. He’s about .4 feet taller than me…hazel brown eyes…broad shoulders…he’s actually got muscles in his arms although they’re not too bulky…he has soft-looking hair which he colored light blue for this week I guess…he has a nice jawline too and…collarbones.

I realized I was staring too much that when my eyes went up from his collarbones to his face, I didn’t notice that he must’ve been watching me the whole time I was checking him out! 

I was hoping he’d just smile and turn away again but then, “Like what you see?” His lips went up into a curve on one side. I blushed.

 

NO. SOHEE. DON’T DO THIS TO YOURSELF!

 

“U-uhm, what are you saying!! I wasn’t looking at you! At all!” I huffed and looked away.

He just chuckled again. Oh, good for him, he must be enjoying this so much! Ugh, me and my girlish feels. I might be having a fever soon if I thought for one second that he’s good-looking. No, okay. Erase, erase that thought!!!

“I could’ve sworn your eyes were lingering for a while here…” He said in a husky type of voice. I tried not to look when he said that. “Here, Sohee, here.”

“Shut your trap, you you monkey!” I was being too defensive, I know. But! This guy!!!

“Well, someone’s got a crush with this monkey, huh.”

I gasped. “I don’t have a crush on you! Ew, just the thought makes me cringe!!” It’s true.

“Haha yeah right, kid.” He agreed although I don’t know what he is agreeing on but whatever.

“Yah, stop calling me kid. We’re only a year apart!”

“Kid.”

“YAH!”

“Kid, kid, kid.”

“Ugh, I’m so done with you.” I was about to leave without him and head to the entrance when he stopped me.

“Hahaha, I was just KIDding. Just KIDding. Get it?” He was amused at himself. I kept my bored expression fixated on him. That was just truly lame. “Okay, okay. Just calm down. My guards will call when everything’s clear, just wait.”

I rolled my eyes. “This is your entire fault. If you were being a good student, the director wouldn’t have asked me to look after you! I wouldn’t be here stuck with your sorry a.ss! And to think he also specified that we have to go and leave school together. I mean, what does that have to do with helping you out? I also have my own problems! They’re quite a handful already, thank you very much. Aigoo, you’re so annoying, you know that!”

I controlled myself from choking him to death and just continued looking away. However, he suddenly grabbed my hand and my heart jumped out. “YAH!!!”

“Shut up,” He started dragging me away to some place again. Oh frick, here he goes again. “They might take long. Let’s try going to the back door.”

I bit my lip in anger but still followed him. Anything to get me away from here would be nice to be honest. We walked until the end of the hallway and there was indeed a door leading to some place. I guess it might be a shortcut Jiyong knows? But wait…

 

“Off Limits.”

 

“Let’s go.” He tugged at me when he was about to turn the knob and I tugged at him back.

“Are you retarded or are you just retarded? It says OFF LIMITS, you jerk.” I pointed at him while checking if anyone’s in sight. “You’re getting us in trouble! Let’s just use the front, okay!”

Nope. I’m not letting this guy have me commit a violation! I’m still running for honors, for Pete’s sake!

“Blah, blah, blah~ I can read, okay. Just trust me. Or do you want to be late?” He raised an eyebrow with his arms crossed.

He has a point. I don’t want to be late either. We might have a pop quiz today and holy fjdjfs, I still have to make sure that this guy knows something from last week’s discussions! We got no time but…

“Can’t we just go through the front door?” I stomped my feet. This is really making me sick. “I mean, can’t your bodyguards just us?”

He was contemplating for a bit when…

“THERE HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

As if on cue, we both looked up to the source of the sudden noise and realized the fangirls outside found us!

“Come on!!” Jiyong just tugged at me and we were already pushing past branches in no time.

“What the hell is this place!!!” I shouted as I struggled in catching up with Jiyong’s running. This doesn’t look like my school anymore maybe that’s why it’s off limits ‘cause this looks like the mini-forest behind our school!

“Ahhh!!! Oppa!!! Stop!!!!!” I heard the fangirls behind us calling out.

“Ah, Jiyong!!!” My foot got caught in something and I tripped, losing hold of his hand.

I heard him mutter a curse and then suddenly lifting me and carrying me like a luggage. “YAH!!! PUT ME DOWN!!!!!”

I swear it shook my world. He could’ve at least carried me bridal style or piggyback!!!

It took forever before he finally saw another backdoor leading inside one of the buildings. As soon as Jiyong saw it, he made a grab for it and stormed into the room…

 

Only…

 

“AHH!!”

 

“HOLY SH.T!!!”

 

I didn’t know what was inside the room ‘cause my was facing them instead with how Jiyong’s carrying me on his shoulder but it must’ve been something “off limits” too that Jiyong had to take us back outside and close the door.

We ran again. I mean, he ran for us again.

“Oppa!! Oppa!!!” I think the voices were coming closer and I am getting dizzier.

To add in the commotion, we heard an all too familiar sound.

 

“THIS IS AN OFF LIMITS AREA.”

 

That didn’t sound trouble…that sounded like punishment.

Jiyong stopped on his tracks, panting heavily. He put me down finally and my foot caused me to stumble. Good thing he was supporting me.

However, the next happenings might not be so good…

The director was standing behind his window from the 2nd floor, looking down on us. We were caught and there was no way out.

 

“KWON JIYONG AND AHN SOHEE,” I was dreading for it to come as Jiyong and I were looking at each other’s eyes, “TO THE DIRECTOR’S OFFICE! NOW!!!”

 

___________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: I think I'll introduce other characters in the next chapter. Thanks for reading btw!! <3