Kyunnie's Birthday

We are one big (happy?) family

Just because it's Kyunnie's birthday today :-)


 

Siwon stares miserably at the few pennies sitting on his outstretched palm. Then he raised his head and glower weakly at the retreating back of his brothers; Shindong, Sungmin and the twins.

 

Flashback to 5 minutes ago

 

Siwon grins happily to himself as he picks up the coins amongst the shattered procelain piggy bank, counting each piece carefully to make sure he has the right amount he needed.

 

"5 dollars! Yes!" He cheers softly to himself as he pockets the coins. Being the good boy that he is, he wrapped the broken pile carefully and throw it into the tiny waste basket in his room. Then he stood up and ambles out of his room coolly to avoid suspicion.

 

"Siwonnie ~"

 

Siwon cringed at the saccharine sweet rendition of his name from behind him. Turning around rather fearfully, he came face to face with his eldest brother. And he’s grinning. That totally send shivers down the younger boy’s spine.

 

Rooted to the floor, Siwon trembles as he waits for Heechul to approach him. In addition to the grin, Heechul has the advantage of height. Honestly, he could beat Siwon into a pulp if he wishes to.

 

Clearly, Heechul has other plans in mind.

 

“Siwonnie ~”

 

“Y-yes, h-hyung.” Siwon swallows with dread.

 

It took Heechul less than 2 minutes to walk away with his new acquired $2 from Siwon’s stash. Before Siwon could mourn over his loss, he could hear several footfalls approaching him.

 

“Siwon ~”

 

“Wonnie ~”

 

“Siwonnie ~”

 

10 minutes later, Siwon finds himself alone again, abandoned by his overzealous brothers, and nearly $3 poorer.

 

Cue – tears

 

Little Siwon’s eyes ached and soon tears follow.

 

How am I going to buy Kyunnie a teddy bear pin now for his birthday?

 

@

 

“Umma? Umma? Umma!” Kyuhyun shouts at the top of his lungs at the adult currently ignoring him.

 

Lee Teuk sighs under his breath but continuous to pay no attention to the toddler who has been swirling about his feet all afternoon as he dashes about the kitchen trying to put together a birthday party for said toddler.

 

“Umma!!!!!” Kyuhyun whined as loudly as he could.

 

Lee Teuk sighed aloud this time. Putting down the hot skillet in his hand, he turned to give his youngest all his attention. “Yes, baby?”

 

Kyuhyun widen his already ridiculously big doe eyes and direct his most adorable grin/pout at his mother. “Umma, is Kyunnie going to have a birthday party today?” He asks in his most innocent voice.

 

“Yes, you are, baby.” Lee Teuk smiles. No one, absolutely no one, escapes Baby Kyuhyun’s charms.

 

Kyuhyun’s smile grew wider, squishing his bubble cheeks till they could not go further. His eyes twinkle brightly. “Umma, will Kyunnie get a birthday cake?”

 

“Of course, darling.” Lee Teuk replies patiently.

 

“Umma, what color is it? Is it chocolate? With it be this big? Can I have ice cream on it, and cherries, and M&M’s, and-“

 

“Woah ~ slow down, baby.” Lee Teuk chuckles. “You will love your birthday cake. Your aunty Jae made it just for you!”

 

Kyuhyun squeals at the thought of his famous patisserie aunt making him a birthday cake.

 

@

 

“…..HAPPPPPPPYYYYYY BIRTHDAY DEAR KYUNNIEEEEEEE………Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!”

 

Kyuhyun claps merrily as his family finished “shouting” their song to him. He peers down at the beautiful cake sitting before him, 5 rainbow colored candles lit and flickering energetically as his brothers and parents moved around him busily.

 

Lee Teuk prepared all the toddler’s favourite food, from pizza to fried chicken fingers to sausages and even fried ice cream puffs. Kyuhyun and his brothers ate and ate and ate, and when it is time to cut the cake and eat that too, the cake disappeared into the boys’ stomach just as quickly.

 

Kangin watched over his children with worry but Lee Teuk’s ego was simply inflated by how fast the food disappeared.

 

“Appa! Appa! When can I open my presents?” Kyuhyun ran to the silent man and tug at his trousers. Kangin smiled at how clingy his youngest is right now, times like this he felt like a real father figure to his son.

 

“How about right now?!” Kangin replies with a loud cheer.

 

“Yaaaaaay!!!!” Kyuhyun’s own childish cheer follows as he ran out of the kitchen back into the living room where all his gifts are sitting in a pile on the coffee table.

 

All his brothers join him just as he pulls at the one at the top of the pile and begin tearing mercilessly at the wrapping paper.

 

No one was allowed to help the toddler with his gifts unwrapping so it took him nearly an hour to unwrap every present, coos over them and in some cases, try them on for size. Kyuhyun pants ever so slightly as he stood with his arms akimbo and he look at all his birthday gifts scattered at his feet. There’s 3 sets of Winnie The Pooh pjs from mom, a pair of new sneakers from dad, a handmade sweater from grandma, a baseball mitt from grand-dad, a set of encyclopedia from harabeoji and halmeoni and finally an assortment of toys and candies from his brothers.

 

But wait…..one present is missing

 

Kyuhyun tilts his head cutely as he tries to figure out whose gift he has not received yet.

 

“Ky-Kyunnie ~” Siwon calls softly as he steps shyly out from his group of brothers. “I-“

 

“Hyung! Where’s my present?” Kyuhyun cries out happily as it occurred to him that Siwon’s gift is missing from the pile.

 

“I…eh…..” Siwon stutters unsurely.

 

Kyuhyun’s face fell. “Hyung did not buy Kyunnie a present?”

 

Kangin frowned while Lee Teuk braced himself for tears as Siwon moves closer to his maknae.

 

“I…….” Siwon falters. The face of utter disbelief nearly broke his heart. That’s when he decides to tell the truth. “I’m sorry, Kyunnie. I wanted to get you the teddy bear pin you said you like a lot…b-but…..I don’t have enough money……s-so I…”

 

Behind Siwon, all 5 heads drooped guiltily.

 

“S-so I…..I…..drew Kyunnie a birthday card.” Siwon hands a folded piece of art paper to Kyuhyun. “I hope you will like it.”

 

Kyuhyun took the badly smudged paper and open it eagerly, taking a few moments to admire the art work. Siwon had used crayons to draw a two tiered dark pink cake with chocolate frosting and fun designs on the sides. On top of the cake stood 5 lit multi-colored candles.

 

Siwon fidgets nervously at the silent wait. “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!” Kyuhyun suddenly squeals. Grasping the piece of paper in one hand, he ran towards Siwon and wraps his chubby arms around the lanky boy.

 

“It’s so pretty!!!” Kyuhyun continues to gush giddily. “It looks just like Aunt Jae’s cake!”

 

Siwon’s finally breathed a sigh of relief. Wrapping his arms tight too around his boisterous baby brother, he grinned widely.

 

“This is my favoritest birthday present!” Kyuhyun giggles aloud.