We're really sorry

We are one big (happy?) family

 

Lee Teuk was up and out of bed the moment when the first strains of “Umma! Ummaaaa!” was heard. When he dashed into the dimly lit room and threw on the lights, the little toddler is already sitting up in bed weeping. His brothers sharing the room, however, are blissfully fast asleep. Kangin stumbles drowsily into the room in time to see Lee Teuk gather the baby into his arms before they both make their way downstairs to the living room.

 

“Is he awake?” Kangin asks in a soft whisper as they tries to calm the crying baby down. Lee Teuk shook his head gravely while his hands are busy the tiny body as if he could soothe out the quivering.

 

“He’s having a fever.” Lee Teuk mumbles worriedly after pressing his lips to the adolescent’s wet forehead.

 

“We’ll call for the doctor first thing in the morning.” Kangin assures his spouse.

 

“Baby? Don’t be afraid, umma’s here.” Lee Teuk coos softly at the wailing child.

 

Unseen by them, 8 tiny heads are watching them from behind the wall. Each held a unique facial expression on their little faces.

 

@

 

 

“Go to bed, princess.” Lee Teuk urges his first born wearily.

 

Heechul refuses to budge from where he has been crouching watching over his sleeping brother for the last 2 hours. Instead he continues to his baby brother’s wrist while the tot slept soundly. A soft smile fleetingly appears on the umma’s lips as he watches his child struggles through his first bout of guilt in life.

 

Memory of the great show of drama that occurred when the doctor arrive just that morning still tickles Lee Teuk.

 

All too well aware that their baby brother is afraid of needles, all his 8 hyungs formed a human link chain at the bottom of the stairs to prevent the elderly man in the white coat from reaching Kyuhyun. The look of pure determination on their faces amused the doctor. However, Kangin was far from being impressed. When yelling at them to get out of the way did nothing, he rewarded them each with a quick painful rap of his meaty knuckle.

 

The doctor finally brought the two worried parents much needed relief when he declares that the toddler is merely running a fever from too much excitement and will recover soon enough like all children are capable of self-healing do.

 

Lee Teuk saw the doctor off and came back to the bedroom to find Yesung kneeling by Kyuhyun’s bedside murmuring lowly to the sleeping baby.

 

Hyung is sorry, please get well soon.” Yesung said earnestly. “If you promise to get well soon, you can do whatever you want, hyung will not be angry with you.” He promised somberly.

 

@

 

 

“Umma ~” Kyuhyun let out a frightened squeak even before he is fully awaken. Hearing his own shrill cry, his eyes flutters open in confusion. The first thing he realized is that, he isn’t feeling very good. His tummy aches and his head feels heavy. He doesn’t like the yucky feeling.

 

Soft footfalls can be heard coming towards him and pretty soon Siwon is crouching by his side on the floor staring at him, his face unsmiling as he gaze quizzically at his baby brother.

 

Kyuhyun returns his hyung a silent sullen pout.

 

“Are you still in pain?” Siwon whispers but Kyuhyun refuses to answer him.

 

Siwon pinches his thick brows together with disapproval but his baby brother is not going to indulge him.

 

“What’s wrong?” Siwon asks not understanding.

 

“Kyuhyun is angry with hyung.” Kyuhyun said looking quite angry.

 

“Wh-why?” Siwon is in shock. He is seldom hated.

 

Kyuhyun’s large orbs continue staring while he refuses to reply.

 

“Tell me please?’ Siwon needs to know why his dongsaeng is unhappy with him.

 

Silence fell as both refuse to relent, and Kyuhyun is known to stand his ground firmly. But Siwon is the one who always protect him against the others, he couldn’t stay angry with him for long.

 

Hyung did not protect me.” Kyuhyun replies in a soft whine, barely audible.

 

But Siwon heard him loud and clear. His face changed into a look of horror at realizing that he failed in his duty as a hyung.

 

“I’m….I’m so sorry, Babykyu!” Siwon apologizes in a great hurry but Kyuhyun chose to turn away with a look of being severely betrayed by his loved ones. That look of helplessness simply made the good-natured older boy cry. And cry he did, as he pled for his baby brother’s forgiveness.

 

“Please…for-forgive me……”Siwon begged tearfully. “I pro-promise….I will not stop protecting Babykyu from now on!”

 

Kyuhyun scrunch his little button nose adorably before taking a serious look at his hyung. “Promise?” He asks in a small voice, still unsure but ready to try trusting again.

 

“Promise!” Siwon’s frown gave way to a hopeful smile.

 

“Forever ever?” Kyuhyun asks again, eyes big and round with childish hope.

 

“Ever ever ever.” Siwon nods eagerly.

 

And then the two brothers bond once again with an exchange of the smile of trust.

 

@

 

 

Hyung, where are we going?” Kyuhyun asks innocently, peering up at his tallest brother who is also his sworn protector.

 

Siwon smiled as they walked holding hands. “It’s a surprise.”

 

They soon come to their backyard and Kyuhyun saw the rest of his brothers gathered under the big apple tree. His body involuntarily seized in fear at the memory of them manhandling him and tying him up. He stopped walking and pulled at Siwon to stop too.

 

Siwon met Kyuhyun’s beseeching stare. The toddler even attempted a weak shake of his head, begging his guardian to save him and bring him away. But Siwon gave him an encouraging smile instead.

 

“Don’t be afraid, everyone just wanted to say sorry to you.”

 

Still frightful, Kyuhyun allowed himself to be pulled along by Siwon till they came to a stop before the 7 older boys. Unable to escape now, Kyuhyun went on the offensive, he threw all his brothers a withering look. Siwon chuckles at how absolutely adorable his baby brother looks presently.

 

“We…erm…..” Hyukjae begins haltingly. Donghae is standing behind him unable to life his head, choosing to draw circles in the sand with his toe.

 

“We want to ~” Sungmin starts confidently but shrinks immediately.

 

Yesung and Ryeowook look suitably sorry but they remain silent. Shindong worry the corner of his shirt unable to bring himself to look his baby brother in the eye too.

 

Kyuhyun glares at them each in turn, till he came to his eldest hyung. Heechul looked everywhere except at his namdonsaeng as he hums and twirls about ignoring the now accusing looks directed at him.

 

“Look there Babykyu, everyone got you something!” Siwon attempts to clear the awkwardness by bringing the toddler towards the pile of things piled haphazardly on the grass. Kyuhyun couldn’t help checking the pile out curiously.

 

“I made this mud pie for you. I thought these pink flowers will make it pretty.” Sungmin is the first to explain shyly.

 

Next Shindong came forward and push an unopened bag of chocolates into his surprised baby brother’s hands before retreating in a hurry.

 

Also in the pile is Hyukjae’s favorite ball and Donghae’s treasured Nemo plushy. Kyuhyun chews the inside of his cheek as he observes how the twins are looking longingly at their favorite toys. Then there is a small turtle courtesy of Yesung and a giraffe plushy; also a favorite of Ryeowook.

 

For some strange reason everyone began looking expectantly again at Heechul. Realising that he no longer has a choice, he stomps to the pile and lays his prized Barbie doll reverently on top of the heap.

 

Kyuhyun grins abruptly at his extremely tensed up hyungs. “All these for me?” He asks innocently, enjoying the sad longing last looks his elder siblings are giving their beloved toys.

 

“We…..are sorry….” Sungmin attempts feebly.

A series of awkward ‘sorries’ follows. At last it is Heechul’s turn and everyone is looking at him keenly again.

 

“…sorry….” Heechul said begrudgingly.

 

“Come on, hyung. Say it like you mean it.” Siwon admonish bravely then shrinks away when a death glare is directed at him.

 

Under his brothers’ stares, Heechul coughs before straightening up then took in a deep breath, puffing up his chest. “I’m sorry Babykyu.”

 

Everyone is terribly relieved to see the familiar smirk appears on the tiny tot’s face again. They reciprocate with nervous laughter.

 

“Now that all these are mine, I can do anything with them.” Kyuhyun declares. All his hyungs wait with abated breath at his decision. “I’ve decided that I will rent them to you!”

 

“Really?” Donghae squeals and throw himself at his Nemo plushy.

 

“Are you going to make us pay?” Ryeowook asks.

 

“Hmm….” Kyuhyun scrunch his face up thoughtfully. “Only if you don’t take care of them and they break.”

 

A series of loud squeals follows as each boy took back they prized item. Kyuhyun is smiling widely now as he tears apart the bag of chocolates and starts offering a piece to each of his hyung.

 

“Ohmygod! Who dug up my pink roses!” Lee Teuk’s devastating scream can be heard from the front of the house.

 

Sungmin turned pale and stiff as a statue.

 

“WHO TOOK MY BAG OF CHOCOLATES!” Kangin bellowed from inside the house.

 

“Oopsie ~” Shingdong squeaks timidly turning pale at the same time.

 

“RUNNNNN!!!!” Heechul urges loudly and began running. All his brothers followed suit, yelling and screaming as they ran after him.

 

“AHHHHHH!!!!!” Childish war cries rang in the air.

 

“ahhhhhh ~” Kyuhyun shouts at the top of his lungs, giggling happily as he tries to catch up with his elder siblings.