Chapter 7

If you were the Mermaid

If it had been possible, she’d have already been at home again, lying on her own bed and scolding herself for making herself hopes.

But now she was standing there in this large room, surrounded by people from the high society. She felt obviously uncomfortable. “I warn you, don’t make anyone notice you. The only reason why I’ll take you with us is that you’ll have to lend Sooyeon your voice.”, her aunt had told her before handing her a dress.

With a sigh Yoona took a sip of her champagne mixed with orange juice. She shouldn’t be here. This society wasn’t the one that matched her and the fact that she was still feeling sad about Donghae made it even worse.

When she looked at Sooyeon talking to some company boss, looking pretty in the dress Donghae had sent her, she again noticed how different they were.

Sooyeon, a pretty rich girl, who lived a life without worries and who was together with the man she loved. And then Yoona, a poor girl from the countryside, who didn’t know anything about the world outside her small village, only able to watch her heartthrob from afar...

Sighing again, she went out onto the balcony. The chilly evening wind blew threw her hair. The city was shining like the stars in the sky.

“You also came.”, a familiar voice said. Yoona immediately cramped a bit. How should she face him?

She turned around and smiled at him awkwardly. Donghae was wearing a simple black suit with a black shirt with the button on the top left open.

On his lips this stunning smile. “Thanks for coming. It’s nice to be with someone who isn’t only an empty shell that wants to show off itself.” He leaned onto the railing of the balcony looking into the sky. That was another point that made Sooyeon and him compatible. They both didn’t like the fake society they were born in.

Yoona remaind on her place, looking at her hands in silence. She tried to surpress the sadness that slowly built up inside of her again. She didn’t want to cry in front of Donghae.

A sudden sigh from him made her turn around curiously.

“Now I feel bad about my present for my sister. If I had known that Sooyeon would wear the same dress I’d have chosen another one.”, he laughed a bit and went on, “You can’t imagine how mad she was at me when she saw her. I haven’t seen her changing her clothes that quick.”

As Donghae met Yoonas eyes which were widened in surprise he tilted his head a little. “What’s wrong?”

Taking a sheet of paper out of her purse, she quickly wrote onto it. “It wasn’t you who sent the dress to Sooyeon-unnie?” Now it was his time to be confused. “Of course I wasn’t. You were with me when I bought the dress for my sister. Why should I sent it to Sooyeon-shi then?”

The relief that overwhlemed her was indiscribable. But no. She shouldn’t be reliefed. It still didn’t mean that he liked her.

Nevertheless she couldn’t help herself but smile. Donghae’s glance laid on her. The smile slowly turned into a sad one. “Yoona-shi...” Still happy she looked up, seeing his serious face.

“Although it should be around time that they’ll tell, I wanted you to know beforehand.” Yoona’s smile slowly faded. Somehow she had a presentiment.

“Sooyeon and-“ “Donghae-yah! It’s about time!”, a man interrupted them. Looking up at the man and back to Yoona he hesitated shortly before walking back into the hall.

There wasn’t much time for Yoona to brood about his words since her aunt called her to come inside.

“Quickly, get behind the stage! But don’t let anyone see you!”, she told her and pushed her behind the stage that was built up. Confused she went behind one of the curtains were a man handed her a microphone.

“Good evening, ladies and gentleman.”, a man then began. Quietly Yoona sneaked to a corner from where she could see the stage. The man that was talking right now was the man who had called Donghae. And judging from his voice which was quite familiar to Yoona, it was secretary Lee.

“Thank you for coming in such large number. Like you all know we gathered together this evening to celebrate the birthday of Lee Yuri and Donghae.” He made a pointing gesture towards the siblings, who were seated at one of the tables near the stage which was followed by the people applauding. Shocked Yoona looked at Donghae. Today was also his birthday?!

“...so please applaud for Jung Sooyeon!”, he introduced Sooyeon which pulled Yoona back into reality. After a short applause the music began to play. Trying to focus on the music, Yoona closed her eyes. The thoughts in her mind were spinning, she wasn’t able to focus on a thing but when it came her part to sing, her mind got totally clear. Even though she wasn’t allowed to talk to him, to tell him how she felt then she had to sing for him. Sing with all she had so her feelings would reach him.

 

[...]

Oh, with what word can I explain you?
All the words of the world is probably not enough

[...]

With this tickling voice that only knows you
I will sing for you

[...]

 

As the song finished applause was heard again and Yoona could see Donghae coming up to the stage.

“Happy birthday.”, Sooyeon said and gave him a short hug.

The bright smile of him made her heart ache.

Yoona then noticed her aunt waving at her to come back. Quickly she walked to her. “Good, that was all you had to do. Now you can go.”, she said while watching the couple on the stage kind of anticipating.

Nodding slowly, she went towards the door.

“And to conclude this special day there’s another big announcement!”, secretary Lee went on which made Yoona stop and look at the stage again.

He looked at the couple. “Congratulations to your engagement.”

A surprised whisper went through the rows and was followed by applause and approving murmers.

Out of shock she almost let go of her purse. Her glance was locked onto the shy faces and smiles of the couple which slowly went down from the stage to recieve congratulations. This moment something inside of her broke. She didn’t know if it was her heart or her small hope she have had... the only thing she knew was that she had to go. She had to go or else she wouldn’t be able to bear this anymore...

 


 

[a/n]

To all who want to know: the song Yoona's singing in this chap is 'Peach' of IU (^.^)