Chapter 4

If you were the Mermaid

It had seemed to take her a long time to think about what to do, but actually she had already decided the moment her aunt had spoken out the offer.

She wanted to stay. She wanted to stay and be with Donghae. Although she knew that there probably was no way for her to reach him, she was satisfied with just being near him. It had been three days already since she had accepted her aunt’s offer. Donghae had come to the house everyday. Sooyeon and him seemed to get along pretty well despite Sooyeon’s shyness in the begining.

But the more frequently she saw him the more it hurt. It hurt to not be allowed to talk to the person you wanted to be near. Although he stood just an armlength far from her, it felt like they both were standing on the opposite sides of the room.

She had never believed that she would love someone to that content. Someone she had just met and she didn’t even really know... it scared her.

Everytime he entered the house she favoured him with a smile. A smile, not more. Donghae always returned the smiled but she wasn’t sure if he really noticed her, because then Sooyeon would appear and his face would brighten up like the rising sun and he’d immediately turn away to walk towards the other woman.

When they were sitting in the lounge upstairs, Yoona would often walk pass it just to secretly take a glance on him and everytime they wished for tea or something she’d offer herself to take the task.

As Yoona woke up on the Sunday morning, she just looked up to the ceiling. The bright light that shone into the room told her that the weather would be great. But today Donghae wouldn’t come. Kindly her aunt had allowed her to take a day off from her housework since the family would be out for a short trip. And so Yoona had decided to go for a short trip too and continue her sightseeing tour through Seoul.

Packed with her city map, a lunchbox and other necessery things she left the house.

It really was a great day. The sun was shining and the temperature was pleasant.

And the best was that she wouldn’t have to remain silent all the time.

Enjoying her freetime, she wandered through the streets of Seoul, just to find herself at Han River once again.

Just as pretty as it had been at night, it was at day. Breathing in the fresh air she sighed satisfied. Honestly she missed her home a little, above all her family, but the city life seemed to be too exciting to think about the countryside.

Walking along the river she hummed a little when suddenly someone tapped onto her shoulder. Surprised and a bit startled she turned around. Her eyes widened as she saw the person standing in front of her.

“Ah, I knew I’ve seen you before. You’re one of the maids at the Jung house, aren’t you?”, Lee Donghae asked with his kind smile she had fallen for. So he had noticed her!

Almost forgetting the deal she had made with her aunt, Yoona quickly shut and nodded before she bowed as a greeting.

“You don’t have to be shy. I think we’re about the same age. Just talk comfortably to me.”, he offered which made her shake her head slowly.

Taking out a piece of paper she had with her she briefly searched for a pen. As she found one she wrote onto the paper. “I can’t.

He read the short sentence and furrowed his eyebrows before looking at her with a slightly shocked face: “You are... mute?”

Yoona nodded with a sad smile on her lips. It was a lie she hated to admit.

The look on his face was pitiful though he smiled at her. As he was about to say another thing, someone called him. He turned around to see a man with blonde hair standing at a car waving at him to come back.

“Oh, sorry but I have to go now. It was nice to meet you.” With a short bow he said goodbye before leaving.

Yoona returned the bow and watched him walk towards the car.

Warm tears were building up in her eyes and slowly ran down her cheeks. She clasped the handle of her bag tightly. “I’m Yoona, it’s nice to meet you. Do you perhaps want to eat with me?” Oh how much she wished she could’ve told him this.