Chapter 5

If you were the Mermaid

Donghae and Sooyeon still saw each other often. And like always Yoona would open the door for the man and greet him with a smile. But now it was different.

Instead of only greeting her, Donghae now also talked to her more often. Sometimes he would come to the house even before Sooyeon was home and Yoona and him would spent time together. Somehow a friendship had developed between them.

Of course Yoona’s aunt wasn’t pleased by that but she didn’t interfer. She was quite sure that Donghae would stay with Sooyeon.

“Can I ask you a favour?”, he then asked watching Yoona watering the flowers.

She looked at him with a questioning expression. Most of the time she’d write to talk to him but sometimes a look was enough. They didn’t need words to communicate.

“I need a present for my sister. Would you help me to search for one?”

So he had a sister? Quickly she nodded with a smile. Going shopping with Donghae...the thought made her excited.

“Really? Thanks, Yoona-shi.”, he said with a grateful smile. Everytime he said her name it made her heart skip a beat.

Blushing a little, she only nodded and continued her work. With every minute she spent with him, she fell more for him...

 


 

“Thanks again for coming with me.”, he said as they were sitting in the car.

Yoona made a dissmissive hand gesture. It was her, who should’ve been grateful.

As they reached the mall she was impressed. This was nothing like the shops in her hometown. Her clothes were mostly made by her mother why she never had been in a mall before – the nearest one was a two and a half hour drive away.

Curious and excited she walked in one store and looked at the clothes. They were all so pretty!

Donghae had seemed to notice her excitement and watched her with a smile. “Do you like that dress?”

Yoona was looking at a dress one of the dolls was wearing and nodded as an answer.

“Could you please give us one of these?”, Donghae then asked a shop assistent who immediately got one.

He held it in front of Yoona who looked at him confused.

“It looks good...try it on!”, he told her with a grin and nodded into the direction of the fitting rooms.

The word ‘why?’ was almost written on her face. Laughing lightly he explained: “You’ve got a smiliar size like my sister. If it looks good on you it’ll probably also on my sister.”

A bit scaptical she went into the fitting room and tried on the dress.

She had never felt that beautiful. Looking into the mirror she couldn’t believe that this was her. “Wah....so this is what you wear in the city....”, she whispered. Sooyeon also wore such dresses. Honestly Yoona had envied her for that.

“Have you put it on?”, she heard Donghae ask and slowly went out of the room.

As he saw her his eyes widened and his jaw almost dropped. She was so beautiful...

“Well, uhm.... it looks nice... try another one.”

She couldn’t deny that she was a bit dissapointed by his reaction. It didn’t seem like he wasn’t that impressed. Of course, she wasn’t Sooyeon...

She tried on one dress after another and she had to admit: it was fun!

Finally Donghae picked one of the dresses though he thought that every dress had looked great on her.

While he was paying he looked over to Yoona, who observed the other things in the store. A smile formed on his lips. Just looking at her somehow made him happy.

“Are you hungry?”, he asked and went to her.

She shook her head with a smile and pointed at him while tilting her head.

“Me? Not really. Maybe we could grab something to eat on our way.”, he answered to her unspoken question before continuing their walk through the mall.

At one of the stands in the middle of the mall’s floor Yoona stopped. Her glance was captured by a couple of necklaces. Maybe she should get some for her sisters.

Making a note for herself to come back again and buy them, a hand reached out for one of the necklaces and took it. She followed the hand to see that it was Donghae. With a smile he opened it. Slowly he placed it around her neck. His face got closer to hers and she could feel his breath on her skin. The warmth of his fingers touching her neck slightly made her shiver. Her heart was beating so fast and loud that she feared it could jump out of her chest every moment.

As he closed it he looked at it with a smile before meeting her eyes again. Now he also noticed how close they were. Her dark brown eyes laid on his. Curious, expecting and nervous.... not aware of his own actions he reached even closer. Slowly she closed her eyes. Their lips were only inches far from each other.

But before they could touch he turned away. “S-Sorry...” Yoona also turned her head away hiding how red her face was.

“I think we should go now.”, he then said and immediately walked towards the exit.

She was dissapointed. Of course she was. But what did she hope for? He would never kiss her.

In this moment Donghae was more than happy that Yoona couldn’t see his face. He was red as a tomato, trying to pull himself together, What’s wrong with you, Lee Donghae?