Chapter 10

If you were the Mermaid

The morning of the wedding was even more hectic than the days before.

The ceremony would be held in a hall of a hotel and the guests were already arriving. Nervously Sooyeon walked up and down the room. When Yoona came inside and saw her cousin, she couldn’t help but smile. Sooyeon really loved Donghae. She had wanted everything to be perfect and her nervousness made her even cuter.

“Calm down, Unnie. Everything will be okay.”, she tried to calm the bride who let her place her on a chair.

“Yoona-yah...I think my heart will explode. It beats so hard, I, I...”

“Take a deep breath.”, she instructed her and Sooyeon followed, finally calming down a bit.

“Now let’s take care of your hair.”

It was only Sooyeon and Yoona in the room. Yoona was happy that her aunt seemed to be busy.

“Yoona-yah?” “Yes?” “Am I pretty bride?”

She smiled gently: “Of course you are.” The girl was silent for a short moment and then asked quietly: “Am I a happy bride...?”

Yoona stopped in her task and looked at her cousin. She then kneeled down beside her and turned her face to hers. “Look at me, unnie.”, she told her and Sooyeon looked at Yoona, “You love Donghae, don’t you?” The girl nodded. “And you were happy when you heard that you’d marry him, weren’t you?” Again a nod. Yoona shook her head smiling. “Why shouldn’t you be happy then?”

Their glances met again and she immediately knew why her cousin was hesitating.

“Babo... I told you not to worry about me.” She stood up again and continued to fix Sooyeon’s hair. “My wish is for you two to be happy. And...” Sooyeon now looked at her again, “Don’t tell him about the truth yet. The moment will come. But not now.”

Someone then knocked at the door. One of the maids came inside: “They’re going to start now.”

Sooyeon immediately froze and an expression of fear laid on her face.

Yoona helped her get up from her seat and took care of her dress.

They stepped out of the room. “Unnie.”, Yoona said as they faced each other. “Congratulations.”

The bride thanked her with a nervous smile and they hugged each other briefly.

The maid then told her they’d had to go now. Sooyeon looked at Yoona for a last time before turning around and following in the maid to the hall.

She watched her cousin until she dissapeared around a corner.

“Congratulations...”

 


 

Her hair was drifting in the wind and the chilly air made her shiver a bit. She had immediately left after sending Sooyeon off, why she hadn’t have time to change clothes.

The train station’s clock told her that she’d have to wait for 10 minutes until her train would arrive.

10 minutes... she could still go back... no, it was better this way. She should leave as long as she was able to and seeing Donghae and Sooyeon getting married was something she couldn’t... It was alright...she was alright...

Time seemed to be fading slowly as if it should be a sign for her to go back. Her lips were moving slightly while she silently sang. She remembered her first day in Seoul, her meeting with Donghae, the days they had spent together... Sadness began to fill her and her heart got heavy. The train then arrived at the station and stopped with a loud squeak. She took her bag and waited for the people to get off the train.

It was time. Time to go back and leave everything behind. Her memories of Seoul... of Donghae.

She then took a step forward and was about to enter the train as...

“Yoona-shi!!”

She stopped and turned around in confusion and with a beating heart. This couldn’t be...!

But there he was. Standing only a few meters away from her in his wedding suit, trying to catch his breath.

The smile, which she loved so much, on his lips.

“Donghae...shi...”

She couldn't believe her eyes. A weak smile formed on her lips; her eyes began to fill with tears.

And with quick steps her feet carried her towards her prince charming...

 

[The End]

 


 

[a/n]

So this was the last chapter of 'If you were the Mermaid'... I hope all of you enjoyed it! I know that many will probably be dissatisfied with the ending but... I think it matches the story the most. It is an open ending, but a happy ending.  Please imagine Yoona like in the last scene of the 'Time Machine' MV. It captures the feeling of a happy ending the most.

Thank you everyone for your support and for reading.

-MikiApple