Chapter 9

If you were the Mermaid

The maids were rushing from room to room, cleaning the whole house. The phone was ringing permanently and Yoona had never seen her aunt this busy before.

The reason for all the hustle and bustle was the upcoming wedding. Everyone – including Sooyeon and Donghae – had thought they’d marry in maybe a few month, but that they’d actually marry the day after tomorrow took them by surprise.

Sooyeon had been out the whole day for trying on wedding dresses and her mother had taken the task to choose the wedding meal.

Meanwhile Yoona had packed her things, preparing for her leave.

“Please stay, Yoona-yah. At least for the wedding.”, Sooyeon asked with a sad look as Yoona was braiding her hair in the evening.

“I’m sorry Unnie, but I’ll have to go.”, she told her cousin and tied her hair.

The older girl lowered her glance and looked at her hands. “It’s because of Donghae, isn’t it?”

Yoona stopped in making her cousins hair. “W-What...?”

Sooyeon turned around on the chair so she could look at Yoona’s face. “I saw you when you were raking the leaves. You like him, too, don’t you?”

Yoona’s throat suddenly felt dry, she turned her head away. The other girl then stood up and took her hands, which made Yoona look at her again.

A sad expression was on Sooyeon’s face: “Why didn’t you tell him? Tell him, that you like him and the truth?”

Surprised by her cousins reaction, she at first only stared at her but then Yoona’s lips formed a gentle but sad smile. She slowly shook her head. “How could I? You’re so happy together... how could I be so cruel to destroy the happiness of two people who are important to me?”

“But-“ “Don’t worry about me, Unnie. I’m alright. It wasn’t my fate to be together with Donghae. Therefore I want you to be happy with him. You’ll make him happy.”

Sooyeon was close to tears. She loved Donghae. She really did, but since she had seen Yoona so sad, she had been playing with the thought to cancel the wedding. It wasn’t her who Donghae had fallen in love with right away. It had been Yoona’s voice. Maybe he loved her, but this love was built on a lie...

“I’m alright, Unnie.”, Yoona repeated and tried to cheer her cousin up with a smile, “See, I’ll stay until the wedding. In the morning I’ll help you to get ready.”

Sooyeon returned Yoona’s smiled, even though it was a bit weak. “Okay...thank you, Yoona-yah...”