Chapter 1

If you were the Mermaid

All those flashy lights are just like stars captured in buildings which are as high as the sky. And everywhere are people. All kinds, from children to elders, business people to people like you and me. There are always people on the street, all day all night. Just like a big party that never ends.”

This and more were things her sisters had told her when they had been to Seoul. She was the youngest of six sisters and now she finally was old enough to visit the big metropole herself.

“Yoona-yah, do you have everything?”, her eldest sister asked.

With an excited smile she nodded. “I do and if you’re going to ask me for a fourth time I’ll tell you beforehand: I’ve got everything.”

Her sister shook her head with a smile and patted her head.

Yoona had just turned 20. Because their family wasn’t really wealthy she and her sisters had to stay home and couldn’t go into the city to study.

They were living in a small – a really small – village in the countryside. Her father was the mayor of this village but since it was so small the money they earned was just as much as that from the local baker.

“Be nice to your uncle and especially to your aunt. You know how she is like.”, her mother said with soft words and hugged her as she told her goodbye.

“Of course I will. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be back in two days.” Yoona put her backpack on. Everything she needed was inside of this small bag. During her stay in Seoul she would live at her uncle’s house. Unlike her father he was a wealthy man and the owner of his own company. She had met him only once and that meeting had already been more than 15 years ago.

She got into the car where her father was already waiting.

“Have a safe trip!”, her sisters told her and waved goodbye as they drove off.

Waving back she watched them got smaller and smaller until they dissapeared in the distance.

“Are you excited?”, he father asked. Yoona nodded eagerly. “Of course I am! My sisters had told so much about Seoul I want to see it myself!”

It was a pretty long way until the bus station and Yoona took this chance to watch the scenery. For two days she’d leave all this behind.

As they finally reached the stop her father waited with her for the bus to come.

“Call us when you’ve reached there, okay?”, he asked her and pulled her into a hug.

“I’ll be back soon.”, she said and got into the bus.

Waving her father goodbye the vehicle drove off. It was the first time for her to go that far away from home. The only place they’d go on holidays was the lake nearby. She was almost trembling of excitement.

Though it was her first time traveling alone, she managed well to switch to the train and after a long trip she finally reached Seoul.

As she got out of the train she was flashed by the big crowd of people.

When the train station was already that crowded how many people did there have to be in the city?

Excited and amazed she walked through the station. At the exit she found someone holding a sign with her name written on it, just like they’d wait for people at the airport. She blushed a little as she saw the man and quickly walked to him so he’d put down the sign.

It turned out that her uncle had send a chauffeur to pick her up and drive her to the house.

While sitting in the expensive car, her eyes were almost glued to the window.

Everything was just like her sisters had told. People and flashy lights everywhere! What view would this be at night!

As they stopped and the driver told her they had reached their destination there wasn’t much time for her to be dissapointed. When she got out of the car she was blown away by the luxurious house in front of her.

So people in Seoul lived like this? Looking around curiously she followed the driver to the entrance where a maid opened the door and greeted her with a bow.

Though it wasn’t expected from her Yoona returned the bow. The maid led her into the house and into the living room – well, she thought it had to be the living room – and it was at least as big as half of her parents’ house!

“Yoona-yah! Long time no see.”, a deep voice then said and she turned around to see her uncle walk towards her. He was about ten years younger than her father.

“Uncle! Hello!”, she quickly greeted him and bowed.

With a smile on his lips he laid his hand on her shoulder. “Ah, my brother seems to have raised all his daughters very well.”

“You’re praising them too much, honey.” “H-Hello, auntie!”, Yoona then greeted the woman following her uncle. Her mother had often told her to be careful with this woman. She really was a person who was proud of her social status and she didn’t spare to show it.

“Don’t be like that, honey. She’s just arrived.”, Yoona’s uncle told his wife and then turned to her again, “The maid will show you your room. If you need anything don’t be shy to call her.”

“Thank you very much that you let me stay here.”

He only nodded with a smile and then Yoona followed the maid upstairs. With a pounding heart she walked through the hallways. Everything was so... amazing!

“This is your room, please call, if you need something.”, the maid then said and left her alone.

“My room...”, she mumbled and looked at the wide room she was standing in.

As the maid closed the door behind her she immediately jumped onto the bed and began to chuckle and squeal into the pillow.

This was just like a dream!