Chapter 2

If you were the Mermaid

While Yoona walked through the city, she couldn’t help but be amazed. To her who was from the countryside Seoul was like another world.

She had been up really early today to begin her sightseeing tour. Unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible to see everything on one day, so she had picked the ones she’d definitly wanted to see.

It slowly got evening and the sunlight was replaced by the flashy lighting of the city.

“Oh it’s already this late!”, she noticed as she looked on her watch. She should go back soon...

But before that she’d enjoy the beauty of Seoul at night and she knew exactly where to do this.

After another short journey Yoona arrived at the Han River. Spreading her arms and letting the night air embrace her she walked towards the railing. “Wah~ So pretty!”

The skyline was simply amazing. She sat down on one of the benches and watched the city on the other side of the river.

Just how much she wished she could stay here longer.

Lost in her thoughts and dreams she didn’t notice how someone sat down beside her. Only as the person sneezed she turned around startled. Beside her sat a young man. Maybe her age or a bit older. Never before she had seen such a handsome man.

She caught herself how she stared at him and quickly turned away though the guy didn’t have seemed to notice her.

Time passed as they sat on the bench silently. Many thoughts ran through Yoona’s mind, like if she should talk to him or just go home. But she didn’t want to leave yet.

Suddenly she felt something lay down on her shoulder. Startled she turned her head around just to see the guy leaning on her shoulder.

“E-Excuse me?”, she said and carefully turned her body. The eyes of the man were closed but the look on his face wasn’t peaceful.

Worried she tried to wake him up by slightly shaking him. But the man didn’t wake up. Slowly she pushed him so he sat upright. He didn’t look very healthy.

Carefully she touched his face and her eyes widened. “Oh no! He has a high fever!”

Looking around she couldn’t find any other people. Yoona bit on her lower lip. In this condition she could definitly not leave him here alone.

At first she laid him down on the bench and then went to a small fountain where she wetted a handkerchief.

She laid it on the man’s forehead and put her jacket over him like a blanket.

Not sure what to do now she just squated down in front of him and watched him. Somehow she couldn’t take her glance away from his face. Suddenly his phone began to rang.

To not wake him up she quickly took it out of the pocket of his jacket.

“’Secretary Lee’?”, she mumbled as she looked at the display. Unsure if she should answer the call she looked at the man and then stood up and walked towards the railing. Nervously she picked up the call. “Y-Yeob-“ “Yah, Lee Donghae! Where are you! Why did you just scram off without telling me! Your father will- “

“E-Excuse me...?”, she slowly said to the yelling male voice at the other end of the line.

The surprise of the other man was obvious since he immediately stopped. “Who is there?”

“Uhm, I’m sorry but the phone's owner has a fever.” “A fever? Ah, this jasik...”, the man mumbled and then asked, “Where are you right now?”

“At Han River.” “Well, I’ll come and pick him up. Thank you.” “Okay, no pro-“, she answered but the man already had hung up. A bit sulky over the man’s behaviour she walked back to the man lying on the bench. The look on his face had gotten softer. She put the phone back into the man’s pocket. “Your secretary will come and pick you up.”, she told him and turned the handkerchief around. So his name was Donghae?

As she waited for the secretary to come she silently hummed her favourite song. It was a song her mother had sang to her as a child.

After some time she noticed a man calling for Donghae. “He’s here. It’s time for me to go I guess... good bye...”, she told Donghae, picked her jacket and then left.

It had gotten really late already. Maybe her uncle would scold her... but in this moment it didn’t matter to her. The only thing she wished for was to meet Donghae again.