Handbag

Killer Heir
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kim Eun Seuk leaves her hotel room at 5:40, cursing under her breath for waking up late while scoffing down her breakfast and fixing her hair in the elevator ride down to the lobby. Twice she runs back after forgetting her phone, and then her wristwatch. She has trouble hailing a taxi, and when one finally does come, it drenches her first in rainwater.

Max observes all this from his laptop, thanks to the cameras he'd placed on Eun Seuk's dress and the listening devices in her sleeves and phone. The sound quality and image perspective isn't the best, considering it's coming from Eun Seuk's chest level and she isn't a very tall person, but Max makes do with what he's got and sits patiently, waiting for her taxi to reach the townhouse.

Finally the taxi pulls up to an extravagant looking estate. Eun Seuk gets out of the car, giving Max a better view of the townhouse as she does so.

It's big enough to be an apartment block, but he knows the whole building, all 5 floors, belongs solely to Park Gyuri. The doorman seems to have been waiting for Eun Seuk and opens the gate with a bow as she approaches. He doesn't say anything to her and Max senses that the doorman is trailing behind her because the front door closes behind Eun Seuk when she enters.

The first room of Gyuri's townhouse is a large entrance hall, complete with marble floors polished enough to reflect the room's ceiling. Two staircases curve upwards, joining at the top of another floor. A plush white rug that looks suspiciously like an endangered animal's fur decorates the centre of the gleaming floors and vases of white roses line the hall and entrance. He can hear Eun Seuk's gasp loud and clear, though he himself isn't all that impressed. It only reminds him of CS headquarters.

A line of maids stand by the door, all wearing the same dress as her. Each one stares at Eun Seuk as she stands awkwardly by the door. Max can only see the shorter maids' expressions clearly, but he guesses that they're all looking at her the same way: with fear.

It's not blatantly obvious, but Max has been a CS thief long enough to be able to detect the slightest change of expression. But the question is, why are the maids looking at their new colleague like that? Is it because they're afraid of her? But, in all honesty, Max thinks, what is there to be afraid of? Eun Seuk isn't the least bit frightening.

He is distracted when he hears a voice come from his laptop, directly from the audio feed in Eun Seuk's sleeves. "You're late," the voice says.

Max is sure it's Park Gyuri before he even sees her descend the stairs. Her voice fits her well and accurately conveys her arrogant character. She speaks in a haughty manner and stops just short of the line of maids, to Max's relief. If she had stepped any closer, his view would have been lower than Gyuri's face. He doesn't think he'll be able to handle that kind of distraction.

The first thing Max notices about Gyuri's appearance is that she isn't wearing the Ravenheart. He tries not to get worried, assuring himself that she probably just chooses not to wear it at home.

"I-I'm sorry," he hears Eun Seuk stammer. The maids look at her with pity. "It took a while for me to hail a cab and I was running late beca-"

Gyuri holds up a perfectly groomed hand. "I don't want to hear it. Next time you're late, I'll fire you on the spot; no excuses, no exceptions," she says coolly. "Today is a busy day. I have things to take care of and so will you, so the house tour will have to wait." Gyuri gestures towards the closest maid to her. "Hye Joo will explain what you need to do. I expect that you'll get this done on time. Anything less than perfect, and today could be your only day under my employment. No breaks today, no slacking off."

With that, Gyuri turns and walks back up the stairs gracefully without another word. Even the way her bottom swishes from side to side exudes a haughty manner.

Max whistles. This woman is no joke, he thinks. He understands now what the fear that the maids had looked at Eun Seuk with meant. It wasn't because they are scared of her, but for her. And who wouldn't be? Gyuri's attitude rivals that of his own boss, which, if Max says so himself, is a pretty impressive feat.

The maid called Hye Joo steps up to Eun Seuk, flanked by two other maids. She is shorter than Eun Seuk, so Max can see that she is quite young and has a kind face, though her expression is worn and she looks bone tired.

Hye Joo bows. "Hello, my name is Ahn Hye Joo. I am the senior maid here at Park Gyuri-ssi's household. Your name is...?"

Eun Seuk is still a little in shock after the way Gyuri had addressed her. Her voice trembles slightly. "My name is Kim Eun Seuk," she says, bowing hastily and temporarily impairing Max's vision for a moment.

Hye Joo nods and gestures to the maids beside her. "This is Bae Soon Yu and Han In Jung. Today we will be working on a special task sajangnim has assigned us."

"Already?" Eun Seuk blurts. "But I'm new. Does she already trust me with a special task?"

The three senior maids look at each other uncomfortably. Hye Joo's expression is serious. "I really don't know what goes on in sajangnim's mind," Hye Joo says. Max notices her voice ha

Please log in to read the full chapter