Wedding Bells

Once Upon A Fairytale

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Word on the cobbled road is that the noble coachman is breaking in some new wheels. He's traded in his pumpkin coach for a black stallion and he plans to wait under a certain princess' tower, ready to ride off into the sunset with her. He gets a surprise though, when the peasant girl and the fairy godmother descend instead.

Meanwhile, the arrogant prince is doing some breaking in of his own. Into the kingdom's infirmary nonetheless! When he learns about the mermaid's history, he does some more research and uncovers the sea witch's plans. It turns out that the mermaid wanted to escape from her father, the sea king. And she was willing to pay any price.

But the arrogant prince realizes everything too late.

Prince Charming and the sea witch are facing each other silently when Cinderella arrives on the castle's doorstep.

When the sea witch calls Cinderella forward, Prince Charming is forced to stand by wordlessly. With a smile on her lips, the sea witch hands the confused Cinderella a white envelope.

The air is suddenly filled with the sound of bells. Like the sound of a clock striking midnight, it means that it's already too late. Can you hear the unmistakable sound of wedding bells?

Sorry Cinderella. You are hereby stripped of your title as princess, and it seems like you're not qualified to be Prince Charming's bride anymore.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ji Eun's POV

"No need to hurry back!" I yelled at Joo-yeon from her window.

She turned back, breathless, and waved before stepping into a taxi that had pulled up alongside her.

"Do you think she'll go through with it?" Taemin raised an eyebrow at me when I turned back around.

I nodded quickly.

"Of course!...I hope," I faltered, biting my lip.

Taemin grimaced and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I mean, it's really not like Joo-yeon to confess. Which actually makes me wonder how she even gathered up the courage to confess to Jonghyun..." he trailed off.

It must have taken her a long time to work up the nerve...

"But this is different," I said, mostly to myself, "Key's different."

"Yeah. But Joo-yeon's not," he replied hesitantly, "She's the same person. After just realizing her feelings for Key, do you really think she'll confess to him the same day..?"

"Of course!" I frowned. She better confess. If she doesn't, I'll make her!

"But then...what happens to Jonghyun?" Taemin whispered.

All the words were suddenly caught in my throat. I bit my lip and stared at Taemin sadly.

"We need to talk to him..." I said quietly, hoping beyond hope that Taemin would disagree.

"You're right," he nodded, walking over to the window.

My ears perked up at the sound of wheels on gravel.

Curious, I stood beside Taemin and glanced out Joo-yeon's open window.

An unfamiliar black car had parked a few feet away from the window.

"Who's that?" I raised an eyebrow at Taemin, who sighed.

"I guess all the rumors were true," he whispered.

"What rumors?!" I asked exasperatedly. Still, I followed his cue and talked softly.

"That Hye Ri's fled the country and Jonghyun's no longer her bodyguard," he pointed to the car.

My mouth dropped open when Kim Jonghyun stepped out.

"Wow. He...got a new car," I commented meekly.

Taemin raised an eyebrow at me, but I ignored him.

What else could I have said?

Why was HyeRigone? Why was he here? Why—

At that moment, Taemin suddenly put his hand on my shoulder. My thoughts immediately stopped.

As if in slow motion, Taemin leaned over the window sill.

"Jonghyun! Wait there!" he called out before leaning back again.

I stared at him in horror while he closed the window.

"W-what are you doing?!" I stuttered in panic.

Grabbing my hand, he began leading me downstairs.

"What better time to talk to him than now?"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jonghyun's POV

What am I doing?!

I leaned against my new car patiently and waited for Taemin to emerge from the front door.

Looking back, my confession to Joo-yeon was seriously flawed. I mean, you're supposed to wait for an answer, right?

Instead, I left immediately after kissing her.

So here I am, waiting under her window. I need to know how she feels about me...

I tried calling her, but she didn't pick up her phone.

"Joo-yeon, I need to talk to you..." I said quietly, just as her front door opened.

But at the same time, I don't want to talk to her.

Maybe because I want to postpone the inevitable.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sighing, I stood up straight and watched as Taemin walked over.

He was holding hands with a girl, who looked like she was desperately trying to pull him back into the house.

Ji Eun.

I raised an eyebrow, confused.

What are they doing here..?

Aish! Never mind. I need to see Joo-yeon.

"We need to talk," Taemin came to a stop behind me.

"Where's Joo-yeon?" the words escaped my lips at the same time he spoke.

Ji Eun, who had been hiding behind Taemin, finally stepped forward.

"We should step inside first..." she said softly.

Grimacing, I followed the two of them into Joo-yeon's house.

I think I know what they want to say...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kevin's POV

"I think it's best for the patient if you leave before she awakens," one of the nurses whispered kindly.

"What? So I don't aggravate her condition?" I retorted bitterly, already getting up.

She shot me an apologetic smile before shutting the door to Eun Ri's room.

With a sigh, I began to walk to the front desk.

So many thoughts flashed through my head.

What just happened? Why did she faint?

And...

Why did she suddenly remember me.

"K-Kevin?" she'd said it softly. But there was no mistake about it. She said my name.

Then, the first day I saw her in Seoul, why did she say she didn't know me?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Sir, are you here to visit a patient?" a nurse paused beside me.

I was sitting on the tiled floor beside the hospital desk.

"No..." I replied quietly, getting up, "But I should get going."

With that, I began walking in another random direction.

They'll probably kick me out soon, but I can't leave until I know Eun Ri's safe...

With a frown, I glanced at the watch on my wrist.

It wasn't time to eat yet, so I headed to the vending machines to get a snack.

All of a sudden, a voice made me stop in my tracks.

Well, not the voice. But the words the voice whispered.

"Did you see Song Eun Ri's file?" a nurse said softly. Four of them were gathered in an empty hallway.

Heart pounding, I took a step closer and hid behind the corner, hoping they wouldn't notice me eavesdropping.

"How'd you see her medical file?" a young nurse asked interestedly.

"Well, she's from the States. But when her father heard she'd been hospitalized here, he sent her records over," the first nurse replied.

"Why?" another voiced spoke up.

The young nurse rolled her eyes.

"She's rich. Maybe she needs special meds," she laughed bitterly.

Jealous Eun Ri's rich, huh? Not really new news.

The first nurse shut her up with a glare before answering.

"Well, she does need a lot of medication,. She's been hospitalized a lot," the first nurse said  hesitantly.

I narrowed my eyes.

Eun Ri barely took medicine for her attacks. They weren't something that could be prevented. And they definitely weren't very serious. Why would she need to be hospitalized because of them?

"Let me guess? She's a drug addict and her father's hiding it," the young nurse said maliciously.

I took a deep calming breath. I'm in a hospital. I can't make a scene.

"Of course not!" the first nurse frowned, "All the pills she's been given are sleeping pills. Most of them are experimental."

Sleeping pills?

"Apparently, she has nightmares. They're flashbacks..." the nurse trailed off.

"Flashbacks?"

"Yeah. She dreams about her memories. The pills are supposed to stop the dreams but honestly, I think stopping them is impossible," the first nurse shrugged.

"Why would her memories be nightmares?" a third nurse in a scrub suit spoke up.

"Well, the memories aren't from her whole life. According to the records, she dreams about her memories before the accident."

My eyes widened.

What accident..?

"Accident?" an unfamiliar voice joined in, "Are you gossiping about a patient?! Please, get back to work!"

I peeked around the corner and saw the nurses disperse.

Damn!

I have to find out what they were talking about.

But medical records are confidential. And I can't break into the records room alone, in broad daylight...

Hmmm...

With a grin, I pulled out my phone.

To: U-Kiss

From: Kevin

Meet at headquarters. ASAP.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ji Eun's POV

While Taemin and I sat on a leather couch, Jonghyun sat on an armchair across from us.

I glanced over at Taemin and saw that he saw staring at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun, on the other hand, was waiting for me to speak.

Nervously, I cleared my throat.

How should I start?

"Are you here to tell me to leave Joo-yeon alone?" Jonghyun's voice was soft, but it echoed across the room.

"W-what?" I stuttered in shock. Beside me, Taemin had tensed up.

Jonghyun laughed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Did I guess right?" he grinned.

I gulped, immediately feeling guilty.

Kim Jonghyun, how can you manage to smile in a situation like this?

"Look, Jonghyun. We're friends," Taemin began, "So we should be honest with each other."

"I know you confessed to Joo-yeon," I muttered, not looking him in the eye.

He didn't say anything.

When it became obvious that I wasn't going to continue, Taemin stepped in.

"But the truth is...she's in love. With Key," he said in one breath.

My eyes widened in shock.

THAT'S his way of letting Jonghyun down easily?!

I turned to Jonghyun frantically, but he was still grinning.

Furious, I stood up and shook him by the shoulders.

"Yah! Is this how you react when someone tells you the girl you love is going to be with someone else?!"

"Are you trying to encourage me to fight for her?" he looked at me, amused.

Speechless, I sat back down.

Immediately, Jonghyun turned serious.

"Sorry, but I don't want to show you guys my hurt expression," he shrugged.

Wordlessly, I stared at Jonghyun. It must be hard, to keep your face emotionless even when you're breaking down on the inside.

My eyes began to sting, watching him.

Then, without warning, tears began to fall.

"Why are you crying?!" Jonghyun stood up just as Taemin put his arm around my shoulder.

"I'm crying for you, stupid. Since you're too cool to do it in front of other people," I gulped.

Jonghyun sighed and put his hands over his eyes.

"You don't have to feel bad for me, Ji Eun," he said quietly.

"I'm not crying because I pity you!" I shot back, wiping my tears away.

"Well, you don't have to worry," Jonghyun said softly, "If Joo-yeon's in love with Key, I won't hold her back."

"What about your happiness?" I whispered, silently cursing myself for asking that question. Shouldn't I be glad that he's giving Joo-yeon up?!

"If Joo-yeon's happy, I'm happy," he smiled before biting his lip.

"Anyways, it's not much of a shock, learning that she's in love with Key. I mean, it's not like I expected her to love me forever," Jonghyun said quietly.

"If you already knew, why'd you confess to her?!" Taemin looked at him in disbelief.

"Knowing doesn't stop you from hoping you're wrong," Jonghyun replied slowly.

"And since I decided to burden Joo-yeon with my confession, knowing she was in love with Key, I was punished," he smiled sadly.

"Punished?" I raised an eyebrow.

"The inevitable happened..." he whispered.

"The inevitable..?" Taemin looked at him sadly.

"My heart was broken."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kevin's POV

"Sooo, what's up boss?" Eli looked up at me.

He was sitting on the floor beside Alexander.

Soohyun, Kibum, and Kiseop were lined up by the wall.

"I need you guys to help me with something," I said slowly.

Immediately, the five of them tensed.

"Like, a mission?" Eli raised an eyebrow cautiously.

"No. I personally need your help. My dad's not involved," I explained.

Even though our company makes a lot of money my dad still does illegal business.

That's where U-Kiss comes in. A gang made up of six people. Since I was the Woo Company heir, I was the leader.

We exist as proof that his threats aren't empty. Luckily, most of our "missions" involved scaring people.

None of the guns we owned had ever been fired.

Lately though, we haven't been ordered to do anything. Today is actually the first time in months that I've seen any of them face to face...

"So, what do you need help with?" Eli grinned enthusiastically.

Glad that Dong Ho wasn't here to send me on a guilt trip, I addressed all of them.

"We need to break into Seoul Hospital's Record Room."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

As soon as the others piled into their cars, I walked over to my brand new one. It was a yellow sports car.

I was just about to open the driver's door when a hand grabbed my elbow.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Alexander.

Before I could speak, he placed an arm on my shoulder.

"Don't do this," he said seriously, "Don't break into that hospital."

I narrowed my eyes. What the heck..?

"Why?" I asked suspiciously, shaking him off. The others had already driven away.

"You won't like what you'll find there. It'll hurt you," he said sadly, taking a step back.

I paused and watched him more closely.

"You know about Eun Ri's file," I realized. Sure enough, guilt flashed across his face.

"I knew what she meant to you. When she arrived in Seoul, I did some research," he admitted, looking away.

"What did you find?" I asked, angry that he'd gone behind my back.

"You're better off not knowing," he shook his head.

Scoffing, I jumped into the car.

"Sorry. But you can't decide that for me."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Minho's POV

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your unexpected visit?" I asked Halmeuni with a fake smile.

She ignored me and walked over to the cream couch where Key was sitting.

I glanced at my phone and saw that I had seven missed calls and three new text messages from my assistant. She had tried to warn me that Halmeuni was coming, but I hadn't heard my phone ring. And now, she was here.

"Do you know where Eun Ri is?" she asked without preamble.

I sat down beside Key, who was ignoring her.

"No. And we don't care," I gave up all attempts at acting civil.

"She's in the hospital," my grandmother replied emotionlessly, sitting down across from us.

With a scowl, Key turned away.

"And you came just to tell us this?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Still, I was slightly worried. What happened to her?!

"I came to tell you," she turned to Key, "that you should go make sure she's alright."

"Why?" Key retorted, clearly annoyed.

"Well, she's your fiancée," Halmeuni's lips spread into a thin smile.

When Key didn't react, her eyes widened momentarily before she turned to me.

"I see that you told him" her eyes narrowed.

"It slipped out," I grinned, leaning back into the couch.

"And you have no objections?" she raised an eyebrow at Key, who immediately turned to face her.

"Of course I do," he said slowly, keeping his voice in control.

"Well, since Minho seems to have explained everything to you, you should know you have no choice. You're almost graduating, so I planned the engagement party. It's a week from now," she announced triumphantly.

I choked back a gasp. A week from now?!

Key eyed me warily before turning to Halmeuni.

"I'm not marrying Eun Ri. I have someone else in mind," Key shot back with smirk.

Her next words shocked us into silence.

"Let me guess. Park Joo-yeon, the Park heiress?" she smiled.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Joo-yeon's POV

Slightly shaking, I walked up to Key's front door.

What if he's not home?

I should go back.

No! I've already come this far.

But what if his brother's here..?

"Park Joo-yeon, stop being such a coward," I whispered to myself.

And with that, I raised my hand to ring the doorbell.

Then, I realized that the door was already slightly open.

Without thinking, I pushed it fully open with my foot then stepped inside.

I froze when I saw Key's grandmother sitting on the couch directly across from the door.

Minho and Key were there too.

Instinctively, I took a step back.

Too late though, because she'd seen me.

"Ah, Joo-yeon. Perfect timing! Please, take a seat."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kevin's POV

"Are you okay?" Eli urgently whispered from the door.

I clutched Eun Ri's medical file in my hand.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps.

I whirled back around and saw Alexander walking towards me.

Behind him, Eli eyed the two of us anxiously.

"So, you came," I said quietly, not looking him in the eye.

"And you read the file," he groaned, grabbing the papers from my hand.

I stared at him lifelessly.

"The day she left Seoul, she was in a plane crash," I said tonelessly.

Alexander nodded.

"It was...bad. Nobody died, but there was fire, and the plane fell into the ocean," he hesitated, "And Eun Ri can't swim. Plus she suffered head trauma."

"Why didn't I hear about it?" I said quietly.

"Her dad paid the media to keep quiet about it," Alexander explained quietly.

"And why didn't he want me to know?" I finally met his gaze.

He didn't answer.

"So," I pointed to the papers in his hand, "Is it true she has amnesia?"

He paused before nodding.

I slammed my fist against the wall, causing Eli to jump in surprise.

"The sleeping pills. They're supposed to stop her nightmares," I whispered.

"She dreams about the plane crash," Alexander confirmed, "And...of you."

My eyes widened.

"Do you know why she left Seoul?" he stared at me.

"Her dad wanted her to."

Alexander shook his head slowly.

"No. She left because you didn't stop her."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key's POV

Joo-yeon?!

I spun around and sure enough, Joo-yeon was standing by the front door, breathless.

Immediately, I felt my heartbeat quicken.

"Come closer," my grandmother grinned at her.

Eyes wide, Joo-yeon looked at me.

She was probably remembering the time I told her to stay away form my grandmother at all costs.

"I won't bite," Halmeuni's smile now seemed frozen in place.

Taking a deep breath, Joo-yeon bowed before sitting down beside me.

Instantaneously, my whole body tensed up.

Biting my lip, I turned to look at her.

Her long black hair was pulled into a messy ponytail and her face was flushed.

Halmeuni eyed her with a smile.

Without thinking, I put my arm around Joo-yeon's shoulder and pulled her closer to me.

Her eyes widened, but she didn't resist.

Beside me, Minho watched us with an amused smile.

Halmeuni's eyes narrowed and her voice lost all its false kindness.

"I see you two, are...close," she said slowly, her eyes darting back and forth between us.

"Is that a problem? Minho approves of her," I nodded my head towards Minho.

For a moment, Halmeuni seemed speechless. Then, she grinned.

"Joo-yeon, are you and Key dating?" she raised an eyebrow.

My jaw dropped open.

"No," Joo-yeon answered shortly, shooting me a confused look.

"Ah, so you don't have feelings for each other," she said, satisfied.

Without thinking, I let the words escape my lips: "That's not true!"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kevin's POV

"Eun Ri wanted you to tell her to stay," Alexander continued.

No. That was impossible.

"And as you already know, her father hates your father," Alexander shrugged.

"So he wanted me out of her life? That's why he forced her to go to America?!" I asked in disbelief.

He nodded.

"And well, it turned out better than he'd hoped. She got amnesia and forgot you," Alexander regarded me sadly.

This has to be some sick, twisted joke.

"Why'd she come back?" I finally asked. Obviously, finding me wasn't the reason. She doesn't even remember me.

Alexander took a deep breath.

"She left because she hates her dad. You know their relationship has always been rocky. So, she left for Seoul," he said vaguely.

"He just let her go back, like that?" my mouth dropped open.

"Well...he knows she won't recognize you. And he's probably under the impression that you're already dead. Since you are in a gang," he laughed.

"You're avoiding the question. Why'd he let her come back?" I glared at him.

"Okay. I had some people look into it, and here's the deal...A lady from Choi Co. went to Eun Ri's father and proposed a marriage between Eun Ri and the heir of the Choi Co., Kim Kibum. Of course, her father agreed. I mean, it will expand his company beyond belief," Alexander shrugged.

"And Eun Ri agreed?!"

"Yes. I mean, it allows her to escape him, right?" Alexander said slowly.

So that's how it is. She's forgotten me. And...she's getting married.

"But something's fishy," Alexander interrupted my thoughts.

"What?"

"Eun Ri signed a contract. It say that after she marries the heir, she'll give her half of the company to someone else," Alexander pulled out a paper with a copy of the contract.

I studied it for a moment before putting it away.

"What I don't get," I frowned, "Is why Key would agree to marry her."

Alexander laughed.

"Agree? He's being forced to do it. He has no choice. He has to get married before graduation," Alexander scoffed.

"Let me guess. His grandmother, the one who gets half the company, is the one forcing him. And he has to marry Eun Ri, or else, the grandmother won't get half the company," I frowned.

Alexander nodded.

"Then, what about Park Joo-yeon?" I muttered to myself.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Joo-yeon's POV

"That's not true!" Key protested.

My eyes widened in shock the moment the words left his lips. My heart felt like it was going to explode.

Then, his grandmother spoke, her voice suddenly sweet.

"Well, it doesn't matter whether you two have feelings for each other. Remember the rules Key? You have to marry an heiress," she smiled.

Her announcement didn't come as a shock to me. It's common knowledge that company heirs must marry company heiresses. It's our parents' way of expanding the companies.

"She will be an heiress once we get married," Key replied defiantly.

Then, his ears turned red.

"That is, hypothetically speaking, if we were to m-marry," he stuttered, unconsciously tightening his grip on me.

She shook her head and swiftly pulled an elegant white envelope out of her purse.

I raised an eyebrow when she handed it to me.

Slowly, I opened the envelope.

Without thinking, I began reading aloud.

"You are cordially invited to attend Park Jung Ah and Shim Seung Ri's wedding..."

I dropped the envelope.

Wedding?!

"Do you hear them? The wedding bells?" Key's grandmother smiled.

The three of us were speechless.

No wonder she was never home. No wonder my stepmother never appeared. They were busy, planning...

"I can't believe this. Jung Ah's getting married?" my voice shook.

Key's grandmother laughed.

"Sorry. But the date of the wedding was yesterday," she laughed lightly before stopping and staring at me.

"You know what this means right, Park Joo-yeon? You've read your father's will, I assume," she grinned.

I nodded shakily.

"Whoever marries first will be the company heiress, "I whispered.

Minho turned to me, shocked. Key's eyes widened and he grabbed the wedding invitation.

"Sorry. But you are no longer a Park heiress. Which means I cannot allow you to be with my grandson."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Word on the cobbled road is that the noble coachman is breaking in some new wheels. He's traded in his pumpkin coach for a black stallion and he plans to wait under a certain princess' tower, ready to ride off into the sunset with her. He gets a surprise though, when the peasant girl and the fairy godmother descend instead.

Meanwhile, the arrogant prince is doing some breaking in of his own. Into the kingdom's infirmary nonetheless! When he learns about the mermaid's history, he does some more research and uncovers the sea witch's plans. It turns out that the mermaid wanted to escape from her father, the sea king. And she was willing to pay any price.

But the arrogant prince realizes everything too late.

Prince Charming and the sea witch are facing each other silently when Cinderella arrives on the castle's doorstep.

When the sea witch calls Cinderella forward, Prince Charming is forced to stand by wordlessly. With a smile on her lips, the sea witch hands the confused Cinderella a white envelope.

The air is suddenly filled with the sound of bells. Like the sound of a clock striking midnight, it means that it's already too late. Can you hear the unmistakable sound of wedding bells?

Sorry Cinderella. You are hereby stripped of your title as princess, and it seems like you're not qualified to be Prince Charming's bride anymore.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

 DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

Drama!

How was it?

Were you guys shocked? Comment and tell me!

Please comment and subscribe! The story is coming to an end X)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬