The Beginning

Once Upon A Fairytale

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Fairy tales begin with a 'once upon a time.' You read the first line and the story starts. But it doesn't just start at any random part. It starts at the beginning. Whether it be the day an invitation arrives or the day of a first meeting. Maybe both.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taemin's POV

I closed the door silently and slowly made my way to the staircase.

I was halfway in my room when a hand slammed my door shut, lightly pulling me by my collar at the same time.

Irritated, I turned around.

"Taemin! Where have you been?!" my dad exclaimed angrily, waiting for an explanation. Our maid, Sun Young, was hovering behind him worriedly.

"I stayed over at a friend's house," I frowned, trying to open my door.

He shut it firmly.

"Who?"

"Jonghyun," I mumbled, giving up on entering my room. Instead, I went down to the kitchen for a snack. I heard him follow.

"I called Jonghyun. He said you weren't with him," he said slowly, anger sinking in.

"Fine. I was at Joo-yeon's," I admitted, walking away.
I didn't even have to look back to know that my dad's expression had changed from anger to delight.

"Park Joo-yeon?" he asked hopefully.

I resisted the urge to make a sarcastic reply. Instead, I nodded.

"That's great! You two have become so close. If you marry her-"

"We're just friends," I cut him off harshly, annoyed by the fact that he only saw Joo-yeon as a way to make money.

"Now. But who knows what can happen? Maybe you can her to the Choi company's ball? To become closer." he insisted, shoving an envelope into my hands.

"Whatever," I muttered, bounding up the stairs.

As soon as I reached my room, I locked the door and my music.

I was doing my calculus homework when I remembered the envelope. Curious, I opened it.

It was an invitation to the Choi company's annual masked ball, which was to be held a week from now.

I placed the invitation back in the envelope and my computer. I logged into my mail account and saw that Joo-yeon was online.

Taemin: Are you going to the masked ball?
Joo-yeon: Yeah. I have to. Are you?
Taemin: Yeah. Let's go together?
Joo-yeon: I'll think about it

I frowned.

Taemin: Not like you're going with someone else. Right..?
Joo-yeon: My stepmom's gonna be there...

Oh...

Taemin: But I'll be in a mask. She won't recognize me!
Joo-yeon: True... Okay!

I heard a light knock on my door.

Taemin: Cool. See you in school tomorrow. Bye.

I logged out quickly and opened my door, knowing that it was Sun Young. My father would have knocked harder.

"What's up?" I opened my door wider.

"Here. A snack," she smiled, handing me a tray laden with food.

She waited patiently with a small smile.

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"So, you stayed over at Ms. Park's" she trailed off.

"Not you too! We're just friends," I complained, going over to sit on my bed.

"I've known you long enough to know when you're lying," she began.

"I'm not lying," I said seriously.

"And when you wish you're lying."

"We're just friends," I repeated.

"Don't worry. I'm sure Ms. Park will realize that she has feelings for you," she smiled.

"What? How do you know?" I asked excitedly.

She raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, how do you know?" I asked calmly.

"I just do," she laughed before exiting.

I watched her close the door before I sighed.
Just friends...

How dumb am I to be hurt by my own words..?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ji Eun's POV

I watched as Joo-yeon smiled crazily before turning off her computer screen.

"What happened?" I asked curiously, closing the book I was reading.

"Huh? Oh, Taemin's going to that ball. So I won't be alone," she explained, walking over to her closet.

Right. The ball I wasn't invited to since I wasn't crazy rich.

Joo-yeon must have sensed my thoughts because she paused before opening her closet.

"You know...I could help you get in. It's a masquerade after all," she grinned evilly, walking over to me.

She waited for my reply.

"Can you really do that?" I grinned, jumping up.

"Of course! Now we just need outfits," she said, picking up her phone.

"W-wait, who are you calling?" I eyed her.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Joo-yeon's POV

"I can't believe you," Taemin groaned, lightly banging his head on the dressing room wall.

"Why?" I called out from behind the curtain, stifling a laugh.

"You have enough dresses to open a store and now you're buying another one?" he yelled out exasperatedly.

"Ji Eun's buying one too," I pointed out, swishing the curtain open.

Taemin's eyes popped open before he composed himself.

"So, what do you think?" I twirled around, showing him the back of the black dress.

"I don't like it," he said immediately.

"What? Why?" I frowned, crossing my arms.

"It's too short. It's backless. It's strapless," he listed.

"And it's black. Boring color," he added quickly.

"I like it! So, did you find one Ji Eun?" I asked, waiting for her to come out.

She stepped out quickly wearing a midnight blue floor length dress.

"Wow! You look so pretty," I smiled ecstatically, walking around her, eyeing the dress from all angles.

"Really?" she asked me. I noticed her eyeing Taemin out of the corner of her eye.

"Yes! I'll buy you this one," I smiled.

"At least she's quick," Taemin muttered, casting an eye on the fifteen dresses I had already tried on.

"Fine. What do you think I should wear?" I wheeled around, glaring at him.

"This one!" he said quickly, plucking a floor length yellow dress with long sleeves from a rack.

"Yellow's not really my color," I scrunched my nose, holding the dress away from me.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key's POV

Since our company's annual ball was only a week away, I decided to find the perfect outfit.

So, I paid a visit to the mall our company owns.

As usual, all the employees hurried over to ask what I needed.

"It's fine. I'm just looking for some clothes," I brushed them off. I hated it when they swarmed to me.

I was looking through some suits when my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered aggressively, knowing it was my brother.

"Yah! Kibum! Is that any way to talk to your older brother?" Minho sang out accusingly.

"Is that any way to talk to your future boss?" I retorted, going off to a different section of the mall.

"Pshh. Whatever. Where are you anyways?" Minho asked curiously.

"Shopping," I replied shortly, finding a suit with red lining that matched my mask perfectly.

"Please tell me you're shopping for your girlfriend and not for clothes," Minho groaned.

"Of course. I'm shopping for this girl I met at the soup kitchen," I replied sarcastically, heading towards the dressing room.

"I was just teasing," Minho complained, "No need to joke around."

I could tell he was nervous. He only approved of rich heiresses.

"I'm shopping for a suit to wear to the masquerade. Unless you decided not to make me come..?" I trailed off hopefully.

"You're going and that's final. The Park, Kang, and Lee company presidents will be there with their children. By the way, have you memorized their names?" he demanded.

"Yeah." I lied, pausing in front of the doors that led to the changing room. I could hear people arguing on the other side.

"Okay...Well, see you at home then," Minho said suspiciously, hanging up.

Rolling my eyes, I turned the handle.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Inside the dressing room was a girl wearing a short black dress. She was arguing with this guy who had curly brown hair.

"Yellow's not really my color," she complained, throwing the dress on the floor.

"At least put it back" I muttered to myself, examining the suit.

"Excuse me?!"

I gulped and looked up. She heard me?!

Obviously, since she was glaring at me with her hands on her hips.

Instead of backing away, I looked her in the eye.

"You heard me. It's rude to just throw clothes on the floor," I eyed her critically.

Glaring at me, she flipped her hair over her shoulder and I noticed that the dress she was wearing was very flattering. She was also incredibly pretty. Wait, what?! What am I thinking now?

I snapped out of it when she jabbed a finger at my chest.

"Yah! Who do you think you are?" she frowned, taking a step closer.

"Does it matter?" I tilted my head to the side, looking her right in the eye.

"Is that any way to talk to a lady?" The guy she was with had stood up. Her boyfriend probably.

"Whatever," I frowned, walking away. If I started a fight, Minho would kill me.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Joo-yeon's POV

I watched as the guy walked away with his suit. He didn't even pay.

"What a jerk," I muttered.

"A hot jerk," Ji Eun grinned, staring at his back.

"If you like that type," I rolled my eyes, placing the yellow dress back on the rack.

"Come on. Tall. Spiky black hair. Cute. He's totally your type," she raised her eyebrows at me.

"No way! I like guys with brown hair and blue eyes," I grinned, nudging Taemin. He laughed.

Ji Eun smiled.

"Just pick a dress," she rolled her eyes. She seemed kind of sad.

"Here, try this on," Taemin handed me a forest green dress with gold embroidering.

"It's perfect! It matches what you're wearing," I exclaimed happily.

I tried on the dress and got Taemin's approval. Now I just need to find a way to wear it. Knowing my stepmom, she probably has some ugly dress she wants me to wear...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Here's your laundry Jung Ah," I knocked on her door. She had asked me to dry clean the pink gown she was wearing for the ball. It was nice, but didn't match her skin tone. Unlike me, Jung Ah had light brown skin with long layered black hair that was cut in different lengths. She's actually really pretty. But pink is not her color...

No answer from her room.

Shrugging, I walked in and set her clothes on top of her desk.

I was walking out when her computer beeped and a message flashed on the screen.

Curious, I opened it.

Jung Ah! I found more pics of Key oppa!
A bunch of pictures were attached to the message.

I glanced at the door before quickly opening the files.

Most of the pictures were similar to the ones she had pinned on her walls. How did she get all these..?

Key's hair was characteristically straight with red and green streaks in all the pictures.His face was very pretty. Smooth skin, brown eyes... Come to think of it, I've never actually looked at his face.

I was about to turn off her computer when another message popped up.

KYAAH! Key oppa got a haircut.

A picture of Key with short, spiky black hair was right below the message.

I looked closer at my mouth dropped open.

"The jerk guy?!"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key's POV

I groaned when I saw Minho waiting for me with the unopened envelope in his hand.

"I thought you already looked over these?" he waved the envelope around furiously. It contained a list of the party guests and I was supposed to memorize their names and faces.

"I'll do it now!" I yelled out quickly, snatching it from his hand. I didn't want to face his wrath. Minho is scary when he's angry. One time, I shaved his teddy bear. He was mad, but didn't show it. Instead, he asked me to play soccer with him. Then he kept hitting me with the soccer ball.

Shuddering at the memory, I locked my door and opened the envelope.

I studied the profiles while eating popcorn.

I raised an eyebrow when I came across the Lee company's heir. The other Lee company, that is. Onew's dad dealt with hotels. This other company was a lumber one.

But what shocked me was the guy. I was pretty sure it was the guy from the store. Except he has black hair and a mushroom cut in the picture. Makes sense I guess, since this was taken awhile back...

But why would he be with that rude girl?

Shrugging, I examined the Kang Hye Ri's picture. She was pretty with long brown hair that fell in soft curls. She kind of looks like this girl I go to school with..? Maybe I'll ask Onew...

I glanced at the clock. It was getting late. Might as well finish...

My mouth dropped open when I reached the Park heiress' profile.

The girl looked incredibly familiar.

Why? It's the girl that stalks me!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Fairy tales begin with a 'once upon a time.' You read the first line and the story starts. But it doesn't just start at any random part. It starts at the beginning. Whether it be the day an invitation arrives or the day of a first meeting. Maybe both.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬