Return

Once Upon A Fairytale

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The sun rises and almost everybody piles into the pumpkin coach.

The king with six queens is happy to find himself seated beside Cinderella, but notices that's she more distracted than usual.

Prince Charming on the other hand, is upset that his punishment will resume the moment he arrives at the kingdom. With this hanging over his head, he spends the ride in silence.

Meanwhile, the peasant girl remains hopelessly confused while the fairy godmother tries to reveal his intentions. Even the huntsman is having a hard time trying not to speak the truth.

When the arrogant prince suddenly receives a message, he keeps the information to himself. Trouble is brewing in the kingdom and a somewhat-new princess and a certain king are about to enter the scene.

All the royal families are positioned and it seems a war is inevitable.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Onew's POV

"Come now everybody. Hurry," the teacher said patiently, eyeing the students who were groggily dragging their bags.

Who could blame them? It was only five thirty in the morning! Plus, we're not even heading home. We're heading to school first. The bus drivers goal was to get us there before homeroom started.

As a result of a night of partying and having to get up early, everyone was moving in slow motion.

Except for...Joo-yeon?!

I opened my eyes wider and watched as Joo-yeon dragged her bags to the bus, jumping whenever anyone came within a foot of her.

Raising an eyebrow, I jogged up to her and took the bags from her grasp.

"O-Onew?!" she jumped back in surprise.

I turned to look at her while I put her bags away.

"Are you okay? You seem sort of...jittery," I said slowly, watching as she put her hair up in a messy bun.

"Huh? I'm fine," she put on a huge smile and glanced around.
"Looking for Key?" I frowned, shoving my hands into my sweater pocket.

Is it possible that Joo-yeon likes Key? And he might like her too. After all, he dragged her away when we were at the beach...

"K-Key?" Joo-yeon's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"Did some thing happen between you and Key?" I grabbed her shoulders and turned her towards me.

For a second I was taken aback by how pretty she looked.

Even without makeup, Joo-yeon is incredibly—

"Hey!" Key suddenly jumped in out of nowhere and put his arms around our shoulders, making me step back in surprise. He looked much better than he did yesterday. You can barely tell that he's recovering from being sick.

"Are you glad that we're leaving the beach or what?" he said cheerfully, glancing back and forth between us.

"Not really," I sighed, watching Joo-yeon out of the corner of my eye. Is it me or are her ears turning red?!

Key shrugged and turned to Joo-yeon who looked like she was on the verge of either hitting him or hyperventilating. Her fists were clenched tightly and she was taking deep breaths.

"Oh Joo-yeon, thanks for taking care of me when I was sick," Key said gratefully, rubbing the back of his head.

Joo-yeon's mouth dropped open in shock.

"Why are you acting so..?! Do you not remember anything that happened?!" she asked, her tone bordering between hopeful and disbelieving.

"Sorry. I think the fever really messed with my head. I only remember bits and pieces," Key apologized.

"W-which bits and pieces?" Joo-yeon glared at him her eyes wider than Key's brother's.

"Uh, you feeding me? That's pretty much it," Key thought about it for a moment before turning to get on the other bus.

"Anyways, thanks," he smiled, "See you when we get to school."

I watched him leave then turned to Joo-yeon.

"I guess that's a relief?" she muttered to herself before getting on the bus.

Curious, I followed her watched as she sat across a blond guy. For a moment, I thought it was Jonghyun. Then I remembered that he was driving that Hye Ri girl to school in a rented car.

No Jonghyun and no Key. Taemin is on the other bus...

So that leaves me!

Grinning to myself, I skipped down the aisle and sat down next to Joo-yeon.

She looked up when I sat down but went back to staring at her music player.

I watched as she chose a song and leaned her head back.

Slowly, I leaned in closer until my head was right next to her ear. Soft music was playing.

"What are you doing?" she opened one eye and looked at me.

"Uh..." I paused. What is this?! Why do I always lose my words when I'm talking to her?!

"Nothing," I finished lamely, pulling away and taking out my own music player.

Seriously. What is wrong with me?!

I heard a loud thump as Joo-yeon hit herself lightly on the head before letting out a frustrated groan.

And what's wrong with her?!

Something...definitely happened when I left her alone with Key...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key's POV

I dug through my bag and took out my phone.

Blowing my bangs off my face, I dialed Minho's number.

"Yobosaeyo?" he answered hesitantly after a few rings.

"Hey, it's me," I sighed, "Just wanted to tell you that I'm on my way to school."

"You called...at six in the morning to tell me that?" he said disbelievingly.

Oh. Right.

"But you sound like you were already awake..." I narrowed my eyes. He sounded upset about something too.

There was a long silence before Minho spoke up.

"Apparently, some people just choose to call when it's convenient for them. Not bothering to find out what time it is in the country they're calling," he muttered under his breath.

"Some businessman from another country called you?" I asked interestedly. Minho rarely dealt with foreign business partners.

"Don't worry about it...And look. About your punishment—" he began.

"Arasso. I know. I know. I'll deal with the next heiress when I get back, okay?" with that, I hung up.

I can't believe it.

Instead of spending time with Joo-yeon, I have to go on more lunch dates...

Wait!

Aren't I supposed to be looking for the girl from the masquerade?!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Minho's POV

"Yah!" I yelled into the phone, "Wait!"

Too late. Key had already hung up.

"I was going to say that your punishment is cancelled," I whispered, setting the phone down and glancing at the clock on the wall. The company building was empty. Outside, it was still cold and dark.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I looked up when my assistant walked in. She hung up her phone then walked up to me.

"Her flight arrives today. Your classes and schedule have been decided. You can go as soon as she gets settled here. Which means you'll probably attend tomorrow," she said solemnly, noting the distressed look on my face.

"Thanks," I frowned, getting up to leave.

"One more thing," she called out after me, "She booked a flight for two people. And she signed the enrollment form...for two people."

My hand tightened on the door handle.

"Should I tell Key?" I said quietly, not sure what to do.
She paused.

"I think it's best not to tell him. It's not set in stone. He still has time. If he finds someone, then she has no power over him," my assistant replied firmly.

She's right. I'll do everything I can to help him.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taemin's POV

I scanned the bus and saw a flash of platinum blond.

Sure enough, Kevin and Dong Ho were peering over their seats to look at Ji Eun, who was sitting in front of them.

With a sigh, I sat down next to her.

"Hey Taemin," Ji Eun immediately turned to greet me.

She was wearing a light blue hoodie and dark jeans. On her lap was a huge black bag.

Inside was my present. Still unopened.

Forcing a smile I greeted her.

"How are you so energetic? It's too early," I complained, pointing outside. It was still dark.

She shrugged nonchalantly.

"Call me a morning person," she grinned, tying her hair up.
I narrowed my eyes.

"You're not a morning person," I reminded her. It's true.
She's usually in a daze until she has breakfast.

"What's the matter? Couldn't sleep? Is that why you had no problem 'waking up?'" Kevin raised an eyebrow.

I turned to Ji Eun and saw that she had widened her eyes.

"Is something bothering you?" I grabbed her shoulders and turned her towards me.

"N-no," she stuttered, her eyes wide open.

"Jiyeon said she met you in the woods. She said you have a lot on your mind," Dong Ho chimed in innocently.

Her eyes darted to my gift.

But maybe I imagined it because in a split second, she was laughing.

"I swear, it's nothing. I only had a hard time sleeping because Joo-yeon was tossing and turning the whole night," she rolled her eyes.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ji Eun's POV

"I swear, it's nothing. I only had a hard time sleeping because Joo-yeon was tossing and turning the whole night," I explained.

It was true though. She came back to our room pretty late.

She looked like she'd seen a ghost.

Then when I started singing "Kiss" by one of my favorite artists, she freaked out.

What's worse is that she kept tossing around and muttering things. She kept mumbling things about medicine and her first something.

"Really?" Taemin interrupted my thoughts.

I nodded and smirked when I remembered another thing.

Key. She said his name too. It was only once, but I'm sure that's what she said.

I really want to know what happened to her yesterday, but I really doubt that she'll tell me.

Plus...

I turned and saw that Taemin, Kevin and Dong Ho were still staring at me.

...I have other people to deal with.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Well if you say nothing's bothering you, then I believe you," Taemin finally leaned back. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and followed his example.

"So...so now what are we going to do during this long ride?" Dong Ho groaned, nudging Taemin's head. Kevin stared at us, expressionless.

"Yes. What are we going to do?" Kevin sighed.

Taemin's eyes lit up immediately.

"I could help you with the riddle," he said excitedly before turning to Kevin and Dong Ho, "But you guys can't listen."

Kevin paused.

"The riddle on your gift?" he said slowly.

Taemin nodded.

Kevin and Dong Ho turned to look at each other before shrugging and sitting down fully.

Weird.

They know about Taemin's gift..?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taemin's POV

"Okay, give me another hint," Ji Eun looked at me expectantly.

I opened my mouth to speak, but stopped.

Wait.

If she opens it now, it won't be romantic.

I had it all planned out.

When the box unlocks, my cell phone will beep and show me where she is. Then I'd rush over and confess.

From her point of view, she opens the box, sees my gift, then I appear out of nowhere and ask her to—

"Taemin? Are you going to tell me or what?" she laughed, her voice jolting me out of my thoughts.

Confessing on a noisy bus, definitely not romantic.

"I changed my mind," I said cheekily, "I already gave you enough hints."

"Noona! The answer is so obvious!" Dong Ho clutched at the air in desperation.

"Stop eavesdropping!" Ji Eun and I called out simultaneously.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kevin's POV

I rolled my eyes but smiled nonetheless.

How could Ji Eun be so clueless?

I was about to tease Taemin by pretending to tell Ji Eun the answer when my phone beeped, signaling that I had a new text message.

To: Kevin
From: Alexander

She's back.

My phone clattered to the floor.

Dong Ho jumped at the sound and bent over to pick up my phone but I snatched it away quickly.

I pushed the keys angrily.

To: Alexander
From: Kevin

What are you talking about?!

I sent the message quickly and got an immediate reply.

To: Kevin
From: Alexander

I saw her at the airport. No mistake. She's here.

My face hardened.

To: Alexander
From: Kevin

Don't tell anyone else.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Third Person POV

"Remember, just get to know each other. The rest will follow," the elderly woman said calmly.

The girl brushed her dark brown hair off her face.

"Of course. My father already talked to me about it," she replied, her diamond bracelet.

"Don't worry about anything. Things will go smoothly," the woman murmured, mostly to herself.

The girl raised an eyebrow.

"Of course it will. Just wait. In two month's time, everything will be in place. But as of right now, everything is just beginnning," she smiled.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The sun rises and almost everybody piles into the pumpkin coach.

The king with six queens is happy to find himself seated beside Cinderella, but notices that's she more distracted than usual.

Prince Charming on the other hand, is upset that his punishment will resume the moment he arrives at the kingdom. With this hanging over his head, he spends the ride in silence.

Meanwhile, the peasant girl remains hopelessly confused while the fairy godmother tries to reveal his intentions. Even the huntsman is having a hard time trying not to speak the truth.

When the arrogant prince suddenly receives a message, he keeps the information to himself. Trouble is brewing in the kingdom and a somewhat-new princess and a certain king are about to enter the scene.

All the royal families are positioned and it seems a war is inevitable.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Next Chapter Preview:

"Hyung?! What are you doing here?!"

"Don't speak to me so casually. I don't even know you."

"As of today, I will be taking over Choi Co."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

this chapter may seem a bit boring/vague/mysterious/pointless, but trust me, it's NOT.

It's a setup for the next chapter. The drama will begin!!

And I hope you guys aren't going "Oh no. Two more characters" (the certain king and somewhat new princess) but the truth is one of them is not new at all and the other one was mentioned in a past chapter. Care to guess who's who?

Anyways, the plot shall thicken. *insert evil laugh*
LOL

So please comment! Just say "I'm reading" and I'll appreciate it.

Please look forward to the next chapter. I promise it will be much more interesting than this one. Think of this as a filler chapter/setup chapter.

Once again, comment and tell me what you think. If it's getting boring, tell me so I can change it :)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬