Chapter 6

He's mine! [Discontinued until further notice]

"Come in, come in! Close the door behind you. It's chilly, isn't it?"

 

His insides twist in the most abnormal of ways, probably a sign that whatever happens in this store won't be good. He's panicking, trying to focus on inhaling and exhaling all the while screaming hysterically inside his head. This was not how Kyungsoo imagined this place to be... He expected an old man with rotten brown teeth and a hunch back, but never... a tall foreigner? Well, the male must be a foreigner because Kyungsoo had never seen anyone with blonde hair before! 

 

It wasn't like the foreigner was scary (although he did appear a little murderous), but Kyungsoo didn't like the jeevies this store gave him. Like the air wasn't necessarily thick enough and he had to struggle to swallow. He felt out of place, bare in the face of this mystical person. He was sensing unnatural things in this place, things that should not exist. 

 

And the fact that he had no idea what it was that was so terrifyingly inscrutable disturbed him.

 

Maybe I should have just stayed home. I mean, what was I thinking?! Did I think I could just waltz in and demand someone to tell me why my dog was clawing at their door? This is not something I can do... I'm just a homeless boy! Not some hero or authoritive figure... Oh, please, heavens save me!

 

"Come here, don't be so timid, young one! We just had a shipment of new antiques this fine, early morning. Shall I show you some pieces?" The man clutched Kyungsoo's elbow, where the latter learned just how tall he was (his eyes nearly rolled to the back of his head!), and led him to a shelf full of ceramics. "This here is a bowl. Now I know that sounds plain, uninteresting maybe, but it is said that a ruler from the Joseon Dynasty actually ate from this! They say his mother molded for him when he was a child." 

 

"Ah," he pointed at a wall of paintings, "this is the fabulous folk art. Have you heard of Jeong Seon and Kim Hong-do? I'm not sure if they teach that in schools nowadays. Well, this here is a replica of Jeong Seon's 'Panoramic View of Geumgangsan'. The real one is very... expensive. But many like having replicas. It gives their home a fresh look. 

 

"And here is one of Kim Hong-do's paintings. It's very plain, as you can see, but that's what make his paintings so beautiful. They captured the common life, the beauties of little things. I always get a little emotional when it comes to folk art...." He wiped his eyes, thin lips turned downwards for a split second. 

 

Kyungsoo gulped, looking down at his toes to escape the awkward ambience. He needed to ask the employee about Kai. If he isn't home soon, the stray will worry and most likely search for him. "U-um, sir? I'm not here to b-buy anything... I just... Well, I-I... My dog seemed particularly drawn to this store and I was curious as to why..." He lowered his head, voice trailing off at the end. 

 

The man cocked his head to the side. "Your dog?"

 

"Y... yes. My dog." 

 

His lips tightened into a firm line, bangs covering his eyes so Kyungsoo couldn't decipher what his expression had turned into. Finally, after a few heart-stopping moments, the man cleared his throat and began striding towards the counter. 

 

"Come with me. I think I may have the answer to your questions." 

 

Kyungsoo heart picks up its pace as the stranger pulled a velvet curtain to the side, revealing another room. How big is this store?! The stranger gestured for him to follow and despite his brain telling him to turn back, he scurried after him. Once inside, Kyungsoo bit back a gasp, the whites of his eyes enlarging.

 

It was like an entirely different place. The ceiling extending so far high, it surpassed the building by meters. The walls were lined with shelves and shelves of books! The binds inked in titles he had never heard of before. And in the center of room was a large desk. There is also a table with chairs that had fancy, ivory arms. 

 

How did this place fit in the back room of an antique shop?

 

The employee says something (in Chinese?) and behind a bookcase, another tall man (Kyungsoo marvels at how long his legs stretched) struts into view, jet-black bangs covering one eye. He has a book in his hand, white shirt rolled up at the sleeves and a waist coat defining his sharp figure. "And who do we have here?" his voice rumbles off his tongue like melted lava, sweet and slow, yet also very foreign. 

 

"I hope Kris hasn't been bothering you in any way, dearie," the handsome stranger smirks, eyes sparkling as they connect with the employee so-called Kris. The blonde snorts. "[[Zitao. He says he has a dog... interested in our shop.]]" The former flits his gaze to Kyungsoo. "[[Do you think he could be the one?]]" He shrugs, dodging Kris' question. Then, like a gentlemen, he pulls out a chair from the table and gestures Kyungsoo to sit down.

 

"Have a seat, dearie! Kris, please bring over the cookies, will you?" 

 

"[[Why must I always get the cookies? You order me around as if I am your butler! Don't forget that I'm older than you.]]" 

 

"[[Shh! Just get the cookies! We have a guest, Yifan ge, play nice.]]"

 

"[[And what do I get in return?]]"

 

"[[You'll see. After you place a tray of my legendary cookies on the table. You can snatch a few if you'd like.]]" 

 

Kris stalks off, shaking his head and smiling, while the raven-haired stranger begins making a pot of tea.

 

Kyungsoo bites his lip and lowers his chin as the other man works across from him. "You look awfully pale. We're not ghosts, don't be frightened of us. You may call me... Tao. It's easier than my Chinese name. And the other person that just left is Kris, my assistant. As you can tell, our Korean is developing. We prefer to speak in Chinese amongst ourselves. And your name is?" 

 

Should I tell him my real name?

 

"Please don't lie," Tao stated, poised as he poured his guest a cup of tea. "I can tell when people are lying to me." 

 

"D-Do Kyungsoo." He grasped the warm cup with trembling fingers, staring at his reflection in the drink. "This place is so large. It's almost as if I went through a portal to another world..." he chuckled nervously, sipping the tea to calm his nerves. "It looks bigger than the actual shop."

 

"Is that so?" Tao grinned, his eyes gleaming again, as if he had a secret and wasn't willing to spill the beans. "It is large. A convenient storage for my books. Wonderful for having tea with guests," he winked, causing Kyungsoo's cheeks to flare, unable to meet the host's gaze. "I do most of my paperwork back here."

 

"I-is it just you and Kris?"

 

 

"We're the only ones running this store. We quite like the artifacts, gives a little spark in the gray outside world. Don't you think it's so bland here? We've been working for nearly five years and we are still bored to death! Of course we made friends and have company every now and then. I do hope to see you often."

 

Kyungsoo's itched to hide in a corner, Tao's attention on him unnecessary. He was just here for Kai! "I'm confused, Tao. Why am I here? What's going on? Why did my dog want to come here?"

 

Tao tapped his fingers against the table, tracing an invisible pattern. Kyungsoo scrutinized his dark makeup, his flawless skin. He assumed he was the manager, or shopkeeper. Someone in charge of the place. Tao was young, he knew that, yet he spoke mature, regarding Kyungsoo as a child. It's like magic. He probably knows a few spells to make himself look young.

 

"Is he really your dog?" he inquired, pressing his fingers against the rip of his cup. 

 

Kyungsoo blinked, surprised. Why did they keep asking him that? "Y-yes! He's mine." Tao nods, examining his answer silently. He sets down his cup and leans forward. "Listen, Kyungsoo-ssi, there's something really important you need to know. Your do--"

 

"Ahem." 

 

Both of their heads swivel towards the sound. Kris has a tray of cookies, the sight belying his piercing stare. "Here are the cookies." His voice came out stiff, like he had to force the kind words out. Tao smiled, his serious demeanor vanishing. "Ah, why thank you, Kris! They look lovely, don't they? I baked them myself." 

 

"May I please have a word with you?" 

 

Kyungsoo glanced between them, aware of the tension between the two rising. Tao cleared his throat. "Sure. Kyungsoo, don't be shy and try my cookies, okay? I assure you they are the best." He pushed the plate towards him and followed Kris to the side. Kyungsoo plucked a particularly pretty one, raising it to his lips and nibbling while observing the room a little more.

 

Kris grasped Tao's arm, letting go once they were out of earshot. He crossed his arms, hissing. "[[What do you think you're doing?! You know it's against the rules to shortcut a curs--"

 

"[[I know!]]" Tao sighed, frustrated with himself for almost endangering his life. "[[It's just, I pity the poor boy. If Jongin is that dog he's talking about, then he is in some serious trouble. Do you know what that entitles, breaking the you-know-what?]]" 

 

"[[Yes, everyone knows. It's what we were taught in school. Look, if this person is who Jongin's looking for, then we will help him. I promise we won't let Jongin harm him. It's our job, Zitao. But while we are still unsure, we can't go about making mistakes and revealing everything about us!" he fumed, throwing his hands up in the air.

 

Tao pouted, wrapping his hands around one of Kris' forearm. "[[Gege, please don't be angry with me. I won't do it again, I swear. Forgive me?]]"

 

Kyungsoo, after shoving a handful of cookies in his pocket (for Kai, of course!), stood up and cleared his throat. "Excuse me? I have to go. It's nearing noon and I don't want to keep my dog waiting. I'd like to be back to feed him." 

 

Tao and Kris approached him, seeming flustered. Kyungsoo cheekily smiled. "Thank you for the tea and cookies. You two are very nice gentlemen. I still would like answers to my questions... Is it alright if I come again another day?" 

 

"Yes," Tao answered quickly, stepping in front of Kris. "Anytime, Kyungsoo. Have a safe trip home and I wish you and your dog the best." The latter's expression turned puzzled, but it quickly faded. Kris raised an eyebrow to which Tao ignored. "Later," he mouthed. 

 

The blonde showed Kyungsoo the way out, returning swiftly to get some answers. "[[Why are you so sympathetic towards the kid? What did his name tell you?]]" 

 

Tao slumped in a chair, his tea unappetizing. His eyes drooped, as well as his heart. He hated feeling helpless. It was the worst part of his job. "[[Do Kyungsoo is a homeless human being. He has been for years. During high school, his mother passed away and he couldn't afford to keep the house. He's been on the run ever since.]]" 

 

"[[No father? No relatives?]]"

 

"[[If there are any, they either don't care or Kyungsoo's really good at hiding. I'll have to check on the internet for any reports on missing teens. I didn't get any more information except his childhood, which was cute, and a few things that happened during his homeless years.]]" 

 

"[[Anything about Jongin?]]" 

 

"[[It's weird. I didn't see anything about Jongin. One word did come up though: Kai.]]"

 

"[[Kai?]]"

 

"[[Yes, I have no idea who's name it is or what it stands for. But it's stuck in Kyungsoo's head, like a mantra.]]"

 

"[[Do you think this kid is the one?]]" Kris squeezes Tao's shoulders, working a massage through the tensed muscles. 

 

Tao leaned into the touch, eyes closing. "[[It's been five years since this started and almost two years since we've last seen him. It's about time. Knowing Jongin, I expected it to be shorter.]]" Kris frowned. "[[But him? A homeless kid?]]"

 

Tao scoffed. "[[Only the perfect victim out there.]]"

 

Kim Jongin, you have some nerve to mess with that poor boy. When I see you, I'm going to...