Chapter 16

He's mine! [Discontinued until further notice]

It is so difficult writing in 1st person POV. I might do again, depending on the circumstances. Anyways, I'm surprised I was able to type this up in a few hours. I hope you're even more curious after reading this chapter! 

~*~*~*~

 

He's so cute.

 

The very first thought that comes to my mind when I wake up every morning. He hates it when people think of him as beautiful, but it's hard not to with his thick eyelashes, soft button nose, and parted, pink lips. He bites them so much, they have turned an orange hue almost. His cheeks are rosy due to his slumber, but I like to think he's blushing. My owner's cute when he's blushing.

 

His pale arm is curved around my torso, and I snuggle closer into his chest. My tail unconsciously wags when the human hugs me closer and presses his nose into my fur. I'm completely wide awake at this point, but choose to pretend to still be sleeping (Kyungsoo likes to coo and stoke my fur to wake me up). This is peace right now. Kyungsoo and I, together in our bed, sleeping in each other's arms--cheesy, I know. But it's all I look forward to. It only makes it harder that I can't embrace him back. This wretched curse! Preventing me from being with my beloved.... This stupid furry limbs that aren't long enough to protect my love.... 

 

I know that Kyungsoo loves me though, and that is enough to keep me going. Once Zitao learns more about the spell he used on me, I'll force the cure out of him. Anything to be with my Kyungsoo! As if he knows I'm thinking about him, my owner stirs. His knees curl into his stomach, effectively bringing more warmth into our cuddle. I sigh and almost drift off to sleep again.

 

But the peace is ruined. 

 

"KYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNGSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yoohoo, wakey up, Kyungie!" 

 

This mother . Why did Zitao call  him here? He's useless. I scramble on top of my owner and bare my teeth at the intruder.  his stupid smirk. I bark a warning. Jongdae only his head, smirk deepening. He opens his mouth to belt another note.  his existence! He's going to wake up Kyungsoo! 

 

"Shut the up," I bark. Jongdae probably understands, but he proceeds to prance around the small bedroom and sing. I really want to bash his face with a bat right now. I should have gotten rid of him while I had the chance. "You , you're going to wake Kyungsoo up!" 

 

"What was that, Jongin? Did you say something? I'm sorry, I can't understand dog talk." I'm going to ing kill him. Jongdae steps forward to shake the sleeping human, but I step in front and bite his arm. Alarmed by the violent act (I usually just bite their clothes), he pulls away. "Calm your nuts, Jongin. I'm just going to wake your owner up. No harm done, right?" 

 

"Yes! Much harm done!" Only I am allowed to see my Kyungsoo when he wakes up! No one should witness that but me"Back off or I'll tear your nuts off!" 

 

"Kyungie?" the stupid troll continues. "Wake up, pumpkin! Breakfast is ready!" Don't call him 'Kyungie'! Or 'pumpkin'! You have no right! He's mine! And of course, Kyungsoo rises from his slumber. He hears a harsh bark from me and hurriedly rubs his eyes to see what's the matter. Before the human can check on me, Jongdae pulls him from the bed. "Aw, you're so cute in the morning! We've never seen you like this before! Come outside so we can show the others how cute you are."

 

"Wait, um..." Kyungsoo can't even recognize who's tugging him, but he follows anyways because I know a sleepy Kyungsoo is an obedient Kyungsoo. I also know he's searching for me from the way he looks back several times. I can't call him though because he wouldn't understand what I'm barking. The only thing I can do right is follow them to make sure my owner isn't molested by these jerks. I stop barking because it's futile to get them to back off (and I'm already tired from growling at ugly Jongdae). They're three persons and I'm just a small dog. Curse this curse! 

 

The ugly trio once again manage to piss me off as Jongdae sits Kyungsoo down at the table. Minseok presents a plate of ugly pancakes, eyes sparkling at the image of my adorable Kyungsoo. I sit down at the human's ankles, hoping for attention, but then Minseok starts feeding him. "Oh hell n--" 

 

"Bad doggy! Stop bothering your owner when he's eating. Here's your breakfast." Sehun places a bowl of disgusting dog food in front of me, and I am very close to spitting in his face. Kyungsoo never feeds me this . I want rice! Sehun looks at me evilly, as if he knows my dilemma, but the bastard turns and joins the other two in watching my owner eat. I want to go on a hunger strike, but my stomach rumbles and I give in. The dog food tastes of dry cereal, but I eat it anyway, imagining it was rice. 

 

I glare at the table, burning with envy. My owner is surrounded by these three ugly men, and I can't even do anything about it. While I'm stuck in this form, I can't do much for him. I can't give him a home to live in, a bed to sleep in, or food to eat. I can't buy him clothes or talk with him on the phone. I can't feed him, I can't kiss him, I can't go on dates with him. While I'm a dog, I can only wait  until he gives me his attention. He didn't get to kiss me good morning today....

 

I'm suddenly not so hungry anymore and return to my room where I can sulk alone. A good half hour later, Kyungsoo peeks his head in through the door. 

 

"This is where you've been. I've been looking for you, Kai!" The lovely human being swoops down to kiss my forehead, and I inwardly sigh. He's so beautiful, so perfect. "Did you eat yet?" I bark a yes. He smiles warmly and pets my head. "Sorry about leaving you. I guess Baekhyun hyung's friends are ecstatic people. They have a lot of energy, don't you think?" Don't talk about them. Don't think about them. Only me. I'm yours. You're mine. 

 

I have been thinking that ever since that dark night in the alley. Ever since Kyungsoo stood up to ugly Junmyeon (or Suho, whatever) and said, "He's mine." My heart was beating so fast... He was cute when I first saw him, but he was strikingly handsome when he said that. I was his. That makes him mine, right? He showered me with kisses and asked me to stay with him. How could I refuse? And then he wanted to see Junmyeon, and all I wanted to do was chew his leg off. What happened to belonging to me and only me? 

 

But we're family now, and Kyungsoo has officially claimed me his. 

 

My owner scoops me into his arms and announces that we should brush our teeth. He places me on the floor of the bathroom and hands me my tooth brush. I chew on it while lying down, watching him meticulously brush his teeth and wash his face. It's cute when he looks at himself in the mirror. He always touches his hair and tries to style it, to no avail. Then he lifts up his arm and frowns at the lack of muscle (or meat, as Chanyeol says). He'll look at his body and scrunch his nose at his fragile figure. I know he's strong though. For a couple of years now, he's been walking. Walking and walking and walking for life, for food, for a temporary home. I did, too. And when he found me, we walked together. It was still equally exhausting, but half of the burden was lifted off our shoulders. 

 

It didn't feel so forced anymore, scavenging for food and supplies. It didn't feel like a chore or something I dreaded. It felt like something I needed to do so I can provide for my family, my love (well, so my owner could take care of me--I don't think I helped very much). 

 

Kyungsoo doesn't let me leave his side the rest of the morning, as an apology, and I don't complain. Jongdae and Sehun tried several times to separate us, but my owner was insistent on taking me with him. When Sehun asked him why he was so attached to me, I was proud to hear Kyungsoo reply, "He's my family. He's a part of me. It's not fair if I leave him alone when he didn't leave me alone." 

 

Sehun raised an eyebrow. "It's just for a second, and you'll be in the same room." 

 

Kyungsoo blushed. He brought me closer to him, and I wriggled to his chin (it was supposed to be his cheek but oh well). (And besides! I am a dog so I can him anywhere without it seeming weird.) (You weren't thinking of naughty places, were you? Shame on you!) 

 

"I-I know! I just... I prefer him beside me at all times." Could he get any cuter? I whine, because he definitely deserves more , and my beautiful human returns the kisses. "See? He's so cute! How could you not resist him?" How could I not resist you

 

Sehun can't hide his bewilderment at the PDA, especially since it's the Jokester acting cute, and his mouth opens and closes like an ugly fish (to me). If I could evilly laugh, I would right now. It's hilarious to see him speechless, and I was getting tired of is sass and lack of belief in Kyungsoo's love for me. I give him a look (well, a puppy look) full of confidence and a challenge. See? No one can change Kyungsoo's heart. He loves me and only me. You guys don't stand a chance against me.

 

The brat seems to see the challenge, and the sudden change in his expressions tells me he has accepted it. What plan does he have up his sleeve....

 

"Hey, Kyungsoo. It's almost eleven. Don't you have to get ready for work?"

 

"Oh, you're right! Good think Chanyeol ironed my uniform for me last night," the human mumbled. He stops when Sehun asks him if I am going with him. Duh, you stupid fairy. My owner laughs. "Of course, Sehun! He's just a dog." Sehun narrows his eyes at me, and I stick out my tongue. 

 

Then the fairy dares asks my owner if he could go to work with him today. Minseok had been accompanying Kyungsoo for the past week or two, but I trust him more than Sehun. Sehun is a child fairy! Minseok can handle cute things because he has to trial against them every day, but Sehun is a fool for them. He'll do anything to just touch anything cute, a way to satisfy his urge as a child fairy. Say no, Kyungsoo. Say no.

 

But my kind owner agrees, apologetically glancing in Minseok's direction. Minseok brushes it off with a wave and a smile, saying he doesn't mind spending the afternoon with Jongdae and "the dog." I will dump a load of fire on him one day. You can melt ice, but you can't freeze fire! Doesn't he arrest child molesters? He should arrest Sehun. Nevermind if it's the stupid fairy's job to work with children! 

 

Kyungsoo brings me into the room so he can change, but I'm too wrapped up in my thoughts to peek at him (hey, I'm a man, too). What will Sehun do? What will he say? What is he planning? It makes me nervous even when I know Kyungsoo isn't easily swayed by other men. 

 

I am given more kisses and a sweet scratch behind my ear as a goodbye, and I jump onto his shoulder to him. His laugh is infectious, and my tail wags back and forth with so much force I tip over. When the two walk out of the door, Sehun places a hand on his back, glancing back with a grin. I growl. The sound is deep and bloodcurling, and it doesn't stop until Jongdae closes the door. He shuffles nervously away from the door, and I snap at him just because. Because I'm mad. Because I'm jealous. Because Sehun's hand should not be on my owner's back because only I can touch him.

 

While Kyungsoo is gone, I decide to make life hell for Jongdae and Minseok. Just because. Let the torture begin.

 

I bite their ankles whenever they pass. Sometimes I like to jump up and scratch their faces. 

 

I sprinted around the apartment, knocking over books and video games and couch cushions (never the kitchen though, Kyungsoo's precious kitchen). I once farted and decided to wipe my on the carpet. Jongdae smelled it, and the image of his eyes tearing up was satisfying. I peed on Minseok's back and rolled around in laughter as he cried in the shower. 

 

Once he left the bathroom, I knocked over the shampoo bottles and unraveled the roll of toilet paper. The fashion magazines Baekhyun reads as he takes a are spread across the floor. With triumph, I trot into my room to take a nap until my owner comes home, a smile on my lips when Minseok and Jongdae sob for mercy. If only I still had my black magic.... 

 

When I wake up, I'm in my owner's lap, and he's my back. I close my eyes again, but my other senses are on alert. Kyungsoo is talking to someone other than me. With a twitch of my ear, I recognize the voices as the three idiots. They're talking about... his job. 

 

"So, are there any cute guys?" Ew, Jongdae. Can you stop thinking about for one second?

 

Kyungsoo laughs shyly. "All of them are attractive." What? I lift my head up, eyes open. 

 

"But isn't there that Hyun--" 

 

"No, no, no!" Who? Hyun-who? 

 

"Oooh, does our Kyungie have crush?" Jongdae wriggles his eyebrows. Again, that shy laugh. What does that mean?

 

"No, you've got it all wrong. He's just a nice coworker." He better be. "He helps me out a lot." Sehun seems intrigued. He shares a look with my human. The eye contact is suspicious, as if they know something I don't, as if they're hiding something. Mychest growls and breaks their silent conversation. "There's nothing going on between us."

 

"Hm. Looks like to me it's not nothing. What's his name?"

 

"It's Hyunsik," Sehun answers. He's looking at me. I hide my head under Kyungsoo's palm because I don't want to hear any of it. "He was nice to you, I remember." Kyungsoo uses his free hand to scratch my neck. I stick out my tongue, and he laughs under his breath. "He seems to genuinely like you," Sehun continues, but it sounds different.

 

Still scratching me, my owner asks, "You think so?" but he's not really curious. In fact, I don't even think he cares about Sehun or Hyunsik at the moment. Kyungsoo is looking at me strangely. It's different from the normal, a little sadder. My heart hurts a little. He looks so sad....

 

"Yeah. You should ask him out." 

 

"Mm." Mm? What's that supposed to mean? 'Mm' as in 'yes'? Or 'Mm' as in 'Hm, I'll have to think about it'? "I'll think about it." Yes! You just got rejected Hyun! 

 

Now Sehun is looking us strangely. "Your reply doesn't sound promising, Kyungsoo." 

 

My owner raises his eyebrows, still gazing at me. He hasn't looked at the child fairy since he stated Hyun's name. "Mm." 'Mm' as in 'yes'. Haha!

 

Sehun begins whining that's he's hungry and he wants Kyungsoo to cook dinner. Kyungsoo chuckles and reminds him of the three cinnamon rolls and two slices of cake he ate earlier, but Sehun argues that he needs rice to satisfy his hunger. Reluctantly (I like to think so) Kyungsoo slides me off his lap. He pokes my name and tells me to wait for dinner, adding in a short belly rub. 

 

Minseok and Jongdae seem too traumatized to be near me, so I head off to my room to roll in the sheets filled with Kyungsoo's scent. About five minutes in, Sehun barges in. I roll over and bark at him. "What do you want, brat?" I give him a once over. He's wearing an apron. "And what are you wearing? You look stupid."

 

Sehun makes a face. "Don't even think about insulting me. Kyungsoo, your human owner, is teaching me how to cook." That shut me up. What in the hell? "Hah, not so full of it now, are you? You're always forgetting one little detail, Jongin." Sehun paces the room, eyes locked on mine. I stare back at him furiously. "You're just a dog to him. Yeah, a special dog, but a dog nonetheless. You'll never be able to do other things with him. You can't walk him to work, you can't cook with him, you can't really even sleep with him." I stay quiet because he's right. I already know this, so there's no need to tell me twice. But Kyungsoo loves me, and I love him. Our physical difference shouldn't matter. It's not like I don't mind sleeping in his lap or his face that much anymore. If that's all I can do, I'll do it. 

 

"Are you okay with that, Jongin? Are you okay with not being able to hold him? To kiss him properly?" I tear my eyes away from him. I'm okay with it as long as Kyungsoo is. 

 

"You're not really in love with him..." Sehun starts, sounding not-so sure of himself. When I don't answer, he picks up with, "... are you?" I cover my eyes and nose with my paws. "Jongin. Please tell me you aren't in love with Kyungsoo." I whimper. Yes, I am. I am in love with Do Kyungsoo. No matter his lack of parents, high school education, a house, I am in love with him. Despite his crush for Junmyeon, and the events that happened after they dated, I am in love with him. 

 

So what now? What does it matter? I'm still a dog. 

 

"Oh my god, you're in love with him." Sehun resumes his pacing, but he's fiddling with his clothes nervously now. "This is crazy. You're lying. This isn't ture, you're not in love with Kyungsoo." He looks at me, my pathetic form. "But , you are in love with him. What are we gonna do? What about the curse? Dude, do you know what falling in love means? You're the Jokester for crying out loud!" He starts talking to himself as my mind spins. The curse! That's right! He can break the curse! Then we can be together, and I won't be a dog! 

 

"But, wait. It doesn't work one-sided. He has to love you back. He does love you but...." Sehun smiles with relief now. "But not as a human. Phew! Had me worried there for a second!" Sehun pats my head and I snap my teeth at his poop fingers. "Jongin, you may love him, but I don't think Kyungsoo can love you in the same way. Sorry you're stuck like this!" 

 

When he left and even an hour later, I couldn't find the energy to eat dinner. Was Sehun right? Will Kyungsoo never look at me in the same way I look at him? But the way he gazed at me earlier... that surely meant something, right? If I were a person right now, I'd be tearing my hair out, but I can only roll around and chew on my paws.  this stupid curse! 

 

It didn't use to be like this. We didn't hate each other like we do now. I just... I just hated the other world--our world. 

 

Ever since I came upon our world, Exoplanet, I was ostracised. I came from a dark planet with dark magic. I didn't know how to use it of course, but I was a threat to Exoplanet nonetheless. They kept me in a prison at night, placed me in a lab during the day.

 

They experiented on me every day. Needles, machines, potions, and spells. Anything to learn the secrets of the world where I came from. Anything to learn how my magic worked. 

 

To what extent did my magic work... what could my magic do... how to replicate my magic...

 

They hurt me and made me hurt things, people, animals. 

 

Then I was to be moved to the King's palace. The man who came to me was the almighty Dragon Messenger, Kris. He came in with a fierce expression, but after seeing me, his blue fire died down. At the palace, he protected me. He introduced me to friends, and left me in the hands of Baekhyun and Sehun, children fairies. They took care of me, raised me. 

 

I earned my place in the palace after they learned what my magic could do. I was the King's secret weapon. I was his ultimate arrow. I killed thousands, 'rescued' hundreds. Release me, and I would do damage. My purpose was to protect Exoplanet in the only way I could--black magic. 

 

I hated school. The teachers discriminated against me for having a different kind of magic. Everyone liked to tell me what to do, since black magic was apparently 'less' than wizard magic. I hated being treated inferior. Who was it that prevented our planet from being burning? It was I. I kept the very ground they walked on flat, and they gave me disrespect in return.

 

I rebelled in my own childish way. Little tricks. Little pranks. I joined forces with Junmyeon to bully anyone who disrespected us. We were a troublesome pair. Then he betrayed me; he used me to travel to Earth. I was punished of course, but afterwards I used my newfound power to jump between the two worlds: Exoplanet and Earth. 

 

Silly Zitao hated how I repelled his every potion and spell. Every session, he would become frustrated. He couldn't understand how strong I was, and neither could I. 

 

But after hating me for an hour or so, we went out for lunch with the others. They knew what I did, sometimes didn't approve, but they accepted me. 

 

Until....

 

I woke up alone, and it was the most horrible feeling ever. The bed was cold. The room was quiet. The air was suffocating. I moved to find my owner, and wished I had stayed in bed. In the living room, Sehun was backhugging Kyungsoo as the latter male was cleaning up the clutter. Jongdae and Minseok were eating breakfast in the kitchen. Kyungsoo shrugged the extra weight off of him. "Sehun, I don't feel comfortable...." 

 

"Aw, Kyungsoo, but you're so cute I can't resist!" 

 

I stayed by the hallway, watching Sehun cling (more like annoy) my Kyungsoo. It doesn't bother me (sort of) because it's Sehun, but I miss my owner already. I run to him, but Sehun asks for Kyungsoo to pet his head. 

 

"W-what?"

 

"I'm just so stressed. Luhan and I can't find a place, and I haven't been sleeping very well... Minseok and Jongdae offered to look together, but we haven't found a cheap enough apartment. Please? Luhan usually pets my hair when I get stressed, but he's not here right now." I want to bark, to tell Kyungsoo no, but I also want to hear what he'll say. 

 

"Well, since Luhan isn't here...." They sit on the couch, and I cannot believe my eyes. I bark to make my presence known. Sehun! Get your ugly mop head out of my owner's lap! Kyungsoo! Get your beautiful hands out of his ugly mop hair! "Oh, Kai. I tried waking you up earlier, but you wouldn't budge so I went ahead and made breakfast." I sit at his feet.

 

Kyungsoo smiles, tilting his head adorably. "Go on. Food's in the kitchen like always." I don't move. I don't want food, I want my Kyungsoo. He stops smiling, trying to read me. I want you, I want you, I want you. "Kai. Go ahead and eat. I already ate. I'm helping Sehun here. I'll be done in a bit. Okay?" I am not reassured, but I leave anyways. Something tells me my day won't get any better. 

 

I sleep throughout the morning and afternoon, giving Jongdae and Minseok a break. When I'm a person again, I'm going to give Sehun a piece of my mind. Well... if the curse is ever broken.

 

Kyungsoo comes home with Baekhyun and Chanyeol this time, Sehun following them with a smug expression. I want to poop on his face. Better yet--fart and give him pink eye. My owner is too busy animatedly chatting with Baekhyun that he doesn't greet me with a kiss, and now I'm just in a sour mood. Sehun is holding his arm, which only further angers me. 

 

He mentions Hyunsik like the he is. 

 

"He was checking you out today, Kyungsoo. When you bent over to pick up..." I chased my tail to drown out his voice and distract myself. "His eyes were stuck on your derriere. He likes you!" 

 

Everyone squeals and offers some crappy advice, but I'm not in the right mind to observe Kyungsoo's reaction. I'm already b with jealousy, lack of attention, and the urge to wreck something. 

 

I make plans. Tomorrow morning, it is not I who will wake up alone. 

 

~*~*~*~

 

"Kai?" 

 

Chanyeol places Kyungsoo's sleeping form on the small mattress. He turns to Baekhyun, who's moving the blankets to find the furry animal. "He's not here?"

 

"Nope. He must be hiding. You think he's jealous?" 

 

Chanyeol snorts. "More than jealous. I bet you he's thinking up ways to kills us right now. Anyways, let's get to bed. I'm beat." 

 

The couple is awakened not by their alarm, but by a crash coming from down the hall. Kyungsoo's room. Baekhyun dashes towards the sound, heart stopping at the mess Kyungsoo has made. "How--why--Kyungsoo! What's going on? What's wrong?" Chanyeol bumps into his back, barely awake. "Woah," he comments, taking in the mess as he head clears. "What happened?" 

 

Kyungsoo stops, standing still in the middle of his room. Tears are running down his face from red and puffy eyes, and his hair looks like he's been pulling painfully on the strands. "He's... he's gone," he rasps. 

 

"Who?" Baekhyun asks, but he has a feeling he knows who. Kyungsoo's tantrum is the key clue. By now everyone is awake, and the apartment is silent.

 

The human slumps onto the floor, inhaling deeply. He looks around the room--helpless, hopeless--then buries his face in his hands. "Kai," the whisper echoes in the room. It's not empty, but it feels empty.