Chapter 7

He's mine! [Discontinued until further notice]

He should have brought an extra jacket. Kyungsoo huddled down the sidewalk, blowing puffs of air into his cupped hands to keep his fingers from freezing off. He wasn't sure what time it was but he hoped he hadn't kept Kai waiting too long. Crossing the street, Kyungsoo noticed the scenery change. He was no longer in the shopping district. 

 

He must have stumbled inside another neighborhood because he couldn't remember seeing these buildings before. He peered through the gates on his left, eyes following the walls of the houses up and up to their roofs. He realized after some observing that they were not houses, but apartments. He noticed several laundry lines, different articles of clothes in different variety of colors clipped on with cute clothes pins. 

 

A train blared its way a couple blocks from him and Kyungsoo definitely knew he was lost. Great! On the day I don't have Kai with me I end up lost. How useful am I? He scolded himself, dreading to ask anyone for directions. How could he ask someone to lead him to an alleyway? He didn't even know the street! Or any stores nearby! 

 

Jutting his lower lip outwards, a sigh whistled past his teeth. Some movement caught the corner of his eye and he turned, spotting a dog whining, pawing at a picket fence. He sympathized the stray, wondering if it had eaten anything yet. It resembled Kai in a sort of way. Kyungsoo laughed to himself, joking that the dog could possibly be Kai. How ironic would that be? 

 

He covered his mouth, holding in the snort. Then he took another look at the dog, it's fur specifically, and came to the conclusion that it indeed was his Kai. His eyebrows pulled together and he hid behind a car parked along the sidewalk. What in the world is Kai doing here? His dog whined again, scratching even harder at the fence. 

 

Kyungsoo glanced past him, squinting at the rows of windows. He saw a couple opening a door and his heart nearly dropped as he recognized the orange hair. It's Chanyeol and Baekhyun. What--how? It can't be... Kyungsoo shook his head, trying to clear the train of thought that pricked his chest. The couple closed the door behind them and Kai whined one last time, leaning his small body against the fence as if he was giving up.

 

The homeless boy found it humorous how Kai acted somewhat like a human. He had certain habits that differentiated him from any dog Kyungsoo had ever encountered. He jogged over to him, scooping him into his arms. At first, the dog struggled. "Yah! What do you think you're doing here? Trying to run away from me?" 

 

Kai twisted so that he was face Kyungsoo and he barked, causing Kyungsoo to reel back. He proceeded to his chin as Kyungsoo chuckled, gathering him closer to his chest. "I'm not letting you go this easy! If you keep this up, I'm going to have to strap you to my hip so you're stuck to me forever!" He snickered evilly while rubbing their noses together. 

 

"Now, which way is home?" 

 

~~~~~

 

"There, that looks much better." Kyungsoo bit his lip, grinning at his piece of work. He took the collar he created and tied it around Kai's neck, satisfied with his skills. His forefinger tapped the bell and he nodded as it jingled. "So I can find if you if you ever think of leaving me," Kyungsoo explained, petting Kai's head. "Are you finished eating?" 

 

Kai trotted to his spot, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth as he waited for his owner to join him. Once Kyungsoo cleaned their dishes and put them away, he settled in their makeshift tent, letting Kai snuggle into his side. 

 

The bell jingles and a part of him is gleeful. Now Kai is officially mine! A collar, why didn't I think of that earlier?

 

But then another part of him is hesitant. What about Chanyeol and Baekhyun? What if they were Kai's previous owners? It makes sense. They recognized each other and Kai found their apartment. They'd want him back, wouldn't they? They'd take Kai away from me...

 

Kyungsoo shoulders sagged. Since when did he become so greedy? He doesn't want to return Kai, but if he really does belong to Chanyeol and Baekhyun... They were such nice people! How could Kyungsoo not return Kai to them? He couldn't just take Kai without permission... that's like stealing.

 

But Kyungsoo doesn't steal. Except when he's starving... But still! Kyungsoo isn't one to steal! 

 

He tossed and turned in his sleep, knowing he had to the right thing and return Kai, but thinking of reasons for why he didn't have to. In the end, he convinced himself to return Kai, first thing in the morning. He loved his dog and was more than happy to kidnap him and run far, far away from Chanyeol and Baekhyun, but his mother didn't teach him to be selfish.

 

Think of other's happiness first, she would remind him often. If you did good things, then good things would happen to you in return. 

 

He watched Kai's sleeping form, corners of his lips pulled down. He didn't want to. He even told Kai he couldn't leave him! And he made him a collar... But Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to forgive himself if he didn't do the right thing. And so he woke up the stray and explained him to what they were going to do.

 

"Come on, Kai! Don't you miss them? Don't you think they're sad and missing you terribly?" Kai curled himself further in the small crack and Kyungsoo cursed his petite build. He must have been the runt of his family. "Come out of there right now, Kai. I need to return you to your rightful owners. Let's just visit them, okay? And I'll ask if I can keep you. Does that sound good?" 

 

Unwillingly, Kai crawled out of the crack and into Kyungsoo's arms. 

 

"Trust me, you won't regret this. Now, let's get you home, Kai." 

 

It hurt to say those words. 

 

The walk was torturous and with each step Kyungsoo forced himself not to turn around and cancel his plans. Kai was awfully quiet as he walked beside him, and Kyungsoo let him sulk. It would be useless to throw a tantrum. And besides, Kyungsoo wasn't a tantrum person. 

 

But Kai was making him close to becoming one. 

 

"Almost there, buddy." They stopped in front of the gate, neither making the first move. Then, slowly, Kyungsoo pushed open the fence and stepped in. He remembered the room number, taking his time going up the stairs. He knew the longer he stalled, the harder it would be to say goodbye, but he couldn't help himself. If this was really going to be goodbye... He wanted to use every second of it.

 

"Kai, we're here. Are you ready?" He wasn't sure who he was reassuring anymore. Kyungsoo picked up Kai and rang the doorbell. He heard muffled noises and a crash from the left. Footsteps thudded closer and closer. He gulped, preparing himself for the moment he had to give away the most important thing in his life.

 

The door swung open and Kyungsoo squeezed his eyes shut, shoving Kai in the open space. He didn't think he could bear seeing them take Kai from him. It would be too much. Tears threatened to spill over, but Kyungsoo managed to squeak out, "Here is your dog! I'm sorry for taking him!" 

 

Kai barked, and his legs kicked the air, swinging his body back and forth. "D.O.? Is tha--Wait, Jongin?!" Kyungsoo opened his eyes, matching the deep voice with Chanyeol's face. He had a rings of purple under his eyes and his hair, mussed from probably moving around in his sleep too much, stuck out in different directions. His shirt was wrinkled, as if he just pulled it on, and his sweats were a few inches too short, revealing white ankles. 

 

But other than the messy appearance, Kyungsoo frowned at the name mentioned. "Jongin? Who's that?"

 

And just like so many times before, Kai jumped out of Kyungsoo's hands and ran off. It was familiar and Kyungsoo's body reacted a fraction too late. Kai was halfway down the stairs, sprinting towards the entrance. Baekhyun loomed up behind Chanyeol, curious as to who was at their door so early in the morning. His eyebrows sprang up and he pushed the taller male to the side. 

 

"D-D.O.? Is that you? What are you doing here? Are you okay? Do you need some place to stay? It's freezing! Come in, come in! Chanyeol, you stupid giant! Why didn't you let him in?" He slapped his arm, ordering him to go watch the eggs on the stove. "But, Baekkie! You wouldn't believe who I just saw! Jongin!" The latter's lips parted, creating an 'o' shape. 

 

Kyungsoo, speechless and clueless all at the same time, mumbled an apology and ran off in the direction he last saw Kai. Why did Kai have to run away so much? He probably hurt Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's feelings, and they were so kind. Too kind for Kyungsoo steal something so precious from them. "I'll find him and bring him back as soon as possible!" he yelled at the couple, practically tripping down the stairs. "Don't worry! And don't leave!" 

 

"What is going on?" Baekhyun demanded, watching Kyungsoo's form disappear around a corner. "Why was D.O. here and who did you say you saw?" 

 

Chanyeol closed the door and sat Baekhyun down on their couch, rubbing his arms in order to calm him down. "D.O. has Jongin, Baekkie! You were right! I didn't believe you because it's just too big of a coincidence--I mean, D.O. and Jongin? Who would have thought that? They're completely the opposite of each other! But anyways, D.O. was holding him out in front of me, saying something like 'Here, I'm sorry for taking your dog' and then Jongin ran off and that's when you came out."

 

Baekhyun rubbed his temples, eyes closed as he took in the new information. "And you're sure that dog is Jongin?"

 

"Positive, Baekkie. Although he looks a bit chubbier than I last remember and he's wearing a funny-looking collar, but no doubt it's him. Why do you think he's with D.O.? You don't think Jongin's using him to brea--" 

 

"Get some proper clothes on and grab our coats. We're going to the shop." 

 

Chanyeol scrambled off the couch, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Oh, oh, oh! I haven't seen Kris in ages!" Baekhyun sent him a glare, and he lowered his head apologetically. A smell whipped around his nose and he noticed the air was thicker. 

 

"Baekkie? What's that smell?"

 

"Oh my--the eggs! They're burning!" 

 

~~~~~

 

Kyungsoo goes to the first place he can think of, their alley. And his heart swells when he sees Kai sitting there, as if waiting for him. "Kai," he called softly. "What are you doing here? You can't just run away all the time. It's very tiring looking for you." He pulled the dog into his lap, kissing the top of his head. "We should go back. Don't you miss them?" 

 

Kai barks, jumping out of his lap to hide in their sheets. Kyungsoo lays on his stomach, watching Kai wrap himself tighter and tighter. I'm not going anywhere! he seemed to be protesting. Kyungsoo had to admit, it was cute. "Don't you miss home?" he tries one more time. He did tell the couple he'd come back. 

 

The dog poked his head out of the sheets, and then shook his head, bell jingling merrily. He takes one of Kyungsoo's finger in his mouth and throws it over his head so that Kyungsoo's hand was on top of him. And then he his palm, snuggling into it. 

 

Kyungsoo finally gets the message. He can't help the grin from breaking out on his face and buries himself in Kai's back, inhaling the scent of his fur. "I get it. This is your home. I am your home." Kai barks, telling him he's correct. 

 

"I guess I can't help it. If you want to stay with me, who's to stop you?" He cupped his adorable face and placed a peck on his lips, wrinkling his nose as Kai stuck out his tongue.

 

"Ew, puppy slobber!" 

 

~~~~~~

 

Kris lifts his head up as the door jingles, announcing a customer. "Welco--Baekhyun? Chanyeol?"

 

"Hi, Kris!" Chanyeol greets cheerfully, waving his large hands in the air. Kris flashes him a smile, but turns to Baekhyun, who's wearing a mask of impatience. "What are you guys doing here? It's rare for you two to visit. Is something the matter?" 

 

"Bring me to Tao," Baekhyun pleads urgently. "We need to talk."

 

Kris doesn't question why. He passes them to lock the shop's front door and then leads them to the curtain, peeling it back. They enter and Kris resists a smirk as the couple choke on the air. 

 

"It's been forever since I've breathed this air..." Baekhyun coughs, chest heaving as he tries to take it all in. 

 

"As we've said, you should visit more often. You're losing your touch there, Baekhyun. Too entwined in the human world. Don't forget, you're not one of them." Kris pats him on the back and gestures to a table where they sit. Tao swivels his chair around, raising his eyebrows. He closes the book in his hand and sets down his cup of tea.

 

"Ah, Baekhyun, Chanyeol! What brings you here on this lovely winter morning? Kris, fetch us a plate of cookies, please? Our guests look like they need something sweet."

 

Chanyeol gasped, eyes twinkling at the mention of cookies. He loves Tao's cookies. The secret magic ingredient alternated your feelings so that a burst of happiness flowed through your veins.  And  Chanyeol loved being happy.

 

Kris rolls his eyes as he walks off towards another room, growling at Tao's sneer. "As you wish, your majesty," he mutters. "Why do I always have to get the cookies? I'm not the one who bakes them!" 

 

"Sit down," Tao urges his friends. "Baek, tell me why there are wrinkles on your forehead." 

 

"It's Jongin," the other sighs. 

 

"Oh?" Tao says, feigning surprise. Kris returns, and immediately Chanyeol snatches a few cookies, scarfing them down. "Chan, don't eat them so fast. Eating extra doesn't mean you get extra happy," Tao warns, exchanging a glance with Kris. Kris nods, silently takes a seat next to him.

 

Baekhyun catches the stares, eyes narrowing, and his head to the side. "You already know, don't you?" 

 

Tao clears his throat, plucking a cookie off the nearly empty plate. He rotates it in the air, studying the texture and the colors. Taking a bite, knowing he'll need it for this conversation, Tao closes his eyes. He feels the serotonin inside his body buzz with life. His mind fizzles with the bubbly feeling.

 

"The jokester is finally back."