The War Begins

The enemy kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun woke up earlier than usual the next day and snuck out of the room quietly not to wake Kai. He changed his clothes in the hallway and left his pajamas in the bathroom rather than take it back to the room. Baekhyun was already in the kitchen preparing breakfast, and Sehun had to be even more careful to avoid that the man saw him.

When he finally managed to leave the house without being seen, he moved resolutely through the woods towards the castle. His thoughts had not changed during the night and he was still determined to tell the whole story to Suho, even if it meant his exile or even something worse.

But there was something different in the air, something heavy, and Sehun felt a tightening in his heart. He approached the center of the town and realized that everything was different: The market stalls were not set up and people rushed back and forth around the city, carrying purses and bags full of their belongings. Sehun looked around. The whole town seemed to be in turmoil and the man had to dodge hundreds of people in order to reach the gates and talk to one of the security.

-What’s going on? – He panted.

-Commander, we were looking for you! The army of the kingdom of M set up camp outside. - Said one of the soldiers. - They said that the king wants to try a deal with Suho and if he does not accept, they will attack the city...

-What? - Sehun had a shock. Kris had actually came and he was not prepared for that. - Open the gate, I'm going to try and speak to the king.

-No sir, it's dangerous. – Another soldier warned him. - Let one of us go, just tell me what the message is and I...

-Don’t even think about that. - Sehun said categorically. - I'm not risking anyone's life. Now let me pass!

-Yes sir, Commander. - replied the man respectfully, opening the gates slightly so that man could pass.

There were several tents scattered in front of the gates where were accommodated most of the soldiers. They recognized Sehun as his former commander and therefore did not detain him. There was a large tent behind all the other tents and Sehun marched up to it, determined to make Kris get back on his decision.

He gently pushed the cloth door of the tent so he could come inside and was immediately approached by two soldiers.

-Who are you and what do you want here? - One of them asked.

-He is the commander Sehun. - Said a thin voice. - Therefore lower those weapons and let him through!

The men immediately released Sehun and apologized.

-They are new to the army, so they don’t know you. - Explained the young approaching and enlacing Sehun’s neck in a tight hug. - Glad you're here, Tao and I were discussing how we were going to get you out of the kingdom before the war started, but you were able to leave by yourself, of course. My Sehun is very brave!

Sehun gently pushed the man away and held him by his shoulders. -Luhan? What are you doing here?

-We came early because king Kris wants to investigate the tree by himself. - Explained the man, shrugging. - He said your last report didn’t make any sense, so he decided to come here. Why? Aren’t you happy to see me?

-I am. I was just surprised... – The man lied with a wretched smile. - I need to speak with Kris though, where is he?

-I don’t know, he said he would leave and has not yet returned. - Luhan responded with some antipathy. - Is that how you greet your fiancée after six months without seeing him? Not even hugs me back and already asks for another man?

-I'm sorry Luhan. - The man held Luhan’s face in his hands and kissed his forehead tenderly. The older smiled.

-I’m glad you're back. - He said. - Kris had Chen placed as deputy commander, but he is not very good at it. With you here, if there is a war, we will win for sure.

-Yes... - Sehun answered sadly. They probably would win with or without his help, because Chen had the information on how to disarm and invade the kingdom of K. Sehun swallowed. He needed to do something to prevent this war from happening...

 

><><><><><><><><>< 

 

-Kris conditions are unthinkable. - Suho said, crestfallen.

-What does he want? – Jonghyun approached the sovereigns of K.

-He wants us to surrender completely. – Suho answered. - He wants full access to all the resources of the kingdom and to the tree of life. We could negotiate the amount of resources we would pay as a tribute to M, but Kris wants to remove the tree of life and take it to his kingdom. I told Kris what would be the consequences countless times, but he wouldn’t listen… If his condition is to remove the tree of life, then we cannot accept.

Kyungsoo sighed resignedly. - So we have no choice but to prepare for war...

Suho nodded and Kyungsoo turned to the sovereigns of S.

-You must go now. There will not be another chance to leave the kingdom later.

-Yes. - Agreed Suho. - I'll ask Kris to wait until you and your soldiers cross the frontier before beginning the war.

-But we're not leaving. - Key said, perplexed.

-Yes, though not yet consecrated, we already have an alliance. - Jonghyun smiled to the men. - You are already part of our family now and we will stay and help.

Key laid a hand on Suho’s shoulder. -We brought a few soldiers, but their powers are strong and certainly will be valuable during the fight.

-I have no words to express my gratitude to you. - Suho was visibly moved. - I can never repay you this favor.

-No need to reciprocate, my friend. Now let’s act, we have a lot to prepare before M decides to attack.

Suho nodded gratefully, and then turned to the four soldiers that waited beside the doors.

-Gather all the help you can and evacuate the city. – He demanded. – I want everyone on the underground of the castle before nightfall.

Three soldiers withdrew with a bow, but Suho called the fourth.

-Call Sehun, ask him to gather the army and wait for me at the border of the city. – He ordered. - We have to keep the war as far as possible from the people and the temple.

-Yes, sir. - Said the man, and also withdrew with a bow.

Then Suho and Jonghyun retreated to set up a war strategy that they would share with Sehun later. Meanwhile Kyungsoo and Key went after their sons who, they believed, would be running after their respective lovers.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter